Limited Character Vaults [POLL]

fmftint
fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
It's been several weeks since prices have been adjusted so I assume the current 1k/5x, 3600/20x, no single draw option is the final price for limited character vaults. Question is, are you buying?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cleared out the Cyclops vault as that was the last cover I needed to change him to his optimal build. Its the only situation where I will hit these vaults now.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I cleared out the Cyclops vault as that was the last cover I needed to change him to his optimal build. Its the only situation where I will hit these vaults now.
    i did that and the kingpin vault
    the X-23 Vault would have been bought but my Green is maxed
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I don't have the disposable HP for anything but single pulls on a really tempting vault, so nope.

It's a shame, because the current one has a pile of useful stuff in it.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Maybe it's just me but I feel that "only a cover I really need" is the same as "yes".
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    HaywireII wrote:
    Maybe it's just me but I feel that "only a cover I really need" is the same as "yes".

There could be a difference. Just at these prices, no one sees it as reasonable. If they had 50hp single pulls, for example, I'd take a few random draws just for a possible Kingpin champ level. But, for 1000hp, no way.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though my HP hoard is now over 7k, I said no. 1k HP is too much for a 25% chance at 1 4* cover.

It's like a $25 blackjack table. I'm deterred by the high cost of admission. I'd rather sit down at a $5 table and be able to bet $25. Of course, I'd sit down and probably lose more than it would've initially cost to clear out the whole vault.

If they still had 1x token pulls, I'd buy trying to gamble. If I didn't get the 4* by the 10th pull (when the options were 1x, 10x, 20x I think), I'd feel pot committed to keep chasing after the 4*. I think the vaults would balance out with the times I'd pull a 4* in my first 5 pulls and last 5 pulls, meaning more HP being spent overall, compared to the 0 pulls I'm doing now because the high cost of admission.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Having a vault without a single pull option is dumb. The single pulls are what make vaults fun.

I said I wasn't buying, and I'm not, since there's no 4* cover I want badly enough to spend an average of 2k HP to get it, but I can visualize scenarios where it would be cost effective. I think if they don't want to reduce the price, they could at least put in a vault reset so people could have more control over what they're aiming at. 2k isn't such an amazing price that people would abuse the privilege.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    It's an amazing deal if it offers a color for a character I am trying to complete. I might pay that much just for the cover, let alone all the other goodies.

It isn't really worth it if that character is champed though.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted no, but would have rather voted HELL NO!
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I voted for the last option. I haven't bought one yet, but I will for the right cover. I have 5 characters that are 5/5/1 or 5/5/2. The odds are low, but if one of those comes around that I need I'll buy it.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    HaywireII wrote:

For me, it has to be a 13th cover in a color I need, and a character I want to prioritize championing.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    waywreth wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

For me, it has to be a 13th cover in a color I need, and a character I want to prioritize championing.

I would do it for a 13th Captain Marvel or Medusa cover. I wouldn't do it for a 13th Ironheart cover or for a champion level.
  • HaywireII
    edited February 2017
    Double Post. Too late to delete.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII wrote:
    waywreth wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

I would do it for a 13th Captain Marvel or Medusa cover. I wouldn't do it for a 13th Ironheart cover or for a champion level.

I've bought out 3 of them so far, only two for a 13th cover. There are several non 13th covers I would spring for like a Medusa Yellow, any Carol and Blade Red. Once I've got my roster slots and shields covered all that's left is deciding what tokens or vaults to spend on.

I might do clear the black Mordo vault too since that cover might not otherwise be won via the new release event or the versus event. A lot of new releases wind up 0/2/3 which puts the random number generation already in a bad spot for me.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    if they put out a vault of something I need, i'll probably it. right now my current 'need' is any carol, blade red, blade black, gwenpool purple (on the fence on that one). costs exceed my perceived value for the other covers I'm short on. when they first started I would have bought for peggy, but then I covered peg. I would have for medusa, but then I covered medusa. I might have for kate, but then I covered kate. if they'd do more recent characters than kp, 4cyke, etc, they'd get more of my attention.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:

I'm glad he split them out. For me there's a big difference in being willing to do these every time regardless of character / number of covers and 'only a cover I really need'. IMO there's a a spectrum here and he listed the correct 3 options:

Yes | Only a cover I really need | No
    Too cheap | Just right | Too expensive

I don't imagine the devs want these to be so inexpensive that people would do them everytime, but they don't want them to be so expensive that they never do them. The "only a cover I really need" seem to me to be the Goldilocks zone they are looking for. At least it would be for me I were making the decisions.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but the artifact vaults for Strange sights are functionally the same as the Limited vaults in terms of having the same basic contents and being the same price, with the only real differences being one extra 2 star cover, the 10pull option instead of 5, and one "free" pull for each one. Which I think makes for an interesting test case in terms of this being a character that everyone "technically" needs, but we haven't figured out how good he is yet.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would do it if it were for a guaranteed 5* cover. But for a 4* cover, it's just not worth it. I already have 36 championed 4*s through regular play, so I'm not in a rush spend thousands of HP just to get one more champion reward, one more cover of a non-championed 4* or possibly a useless 4* cover that I'd need to throw away.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I pulled 10 tries on the spiderwoman vault, which had single pull options for 150 each I think. I did that because my SW was 1/1/9 at the time and I was tired of seeing all those covers wasted. I also tried one time at kingpin, who was 2/5/5 and got it. So I spent 1500 and 1000 hp and got a little lucky. I would only think about it if I had 5k hp on hand tho. I think 4k hp is steep, but its better than a 10 pack for pvp tokens (3800 hp) or a 10 pack for pve vault (2800) since it guarantees the 4*.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would be somewhat tempted if the vault had a coveted 4* cover for a 4* that had been languishing at 0/5/5 or equivalent. So if the x23 vault had been a red cover, i might have purchased. But there are only about 10 or 15 4*s that are both good enough and suit my personal playstyle such that i would ever consider spending. And x23 is the only one currently stuck in a 5/1/5 hole. So they missed their shot with me this cycle. I have previously mined out a couple of covers from special vaults in the past (a peggy cover right after her release last summer, and a quake cover during the red room run of civil war).

So for me and players like me, the question for demi/de is: "would ypu prefer a 1% chance of me spending 4k HP emptying a vault once a year for a prized cover, or a 10% chance of me mining out a useful cover for 1-2k HP a couple of times a year.