Make Balance of Power a permanent mode?

homeinvasion
homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
I think you should make Balance of Power a permanent event like DDQ. Or something similar at least. Voice up if you agree. I think it is the least arbitrary mode. In most games you level up, then the opposition get stronger, then you level up etc etc. You are basically always fighting the same level of opposition the level up process is arbitrary or just gives the illusion of getting better a 4 star player doesn't get to stomp on 2 stars you end up facing opponents of a similar level.

In this game you just use 2 star characters to battle other 2 stars, then 3 star characters to battle 3 stars, etc. The reason 5 star land has been so boring is there are so few options. With Balance of Power you can use all your roster.

I know this idea comes out every so often and the high level players bemoan the amount of money and time they have sunk. I'm right in that category. So I would suggest changing automatic power up to 550 to something that is dependent on the character level as well as the cover level. A few models I came up with.

Option 1.

Either a simple model like 1 star = 510, 2 star = 520, 3 star = 530 etc.

Option 2.

A model that is based on 550 as a baseline + champed levels. So you have a star.pngstar.png that is level 108, which is 14 levels champed you add those to the 550 (=564). Remember a 2 star only has 50 levels of champ.

Option 3.

The level you can use a character depends on the % of max level. (pre-champed). For partially leveled character they are inhibited by lower level covers in addition to their game level it is dependent on the % level. For fully leveled characters it stays the same.

star.png level 40 = 100% leveled = 550 in game
star.pngstar.png ≥ Level 94 = 100% leveled = 550 in game

But for under leveled characters they are based on the % of max level.

star.png Current level 35/40 = 87% of max level = Game level of 481
star.pngstar.png Current level = 92/ 94 = 97.87% of max level = Game level of 538
star.pngstar.pngstar.png Current level = 140/ 166 = 84.34% of max level = Game level of 463
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Current level = 140/ 270= 51.85% of max level = Game level of 285
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Current level = 255/ 450 = 56.67% of max level = Game level of 311

I think this would showcase all the hard work by the devs and players that has gone before. I sometimes nostalgically look at my roster and remember all the hard work it took to level those 2 stars, then all those threes then all those 4's. And now it was all for nothing. Now I only use the occasional 2 or 3 star for DDQ, 1 match per day.

It would also dramatically increase play-ability because of the vast amount of combinations you can field.

Thirdly I think it would make the new players get a good idea of what's out there.

I'm not sure how you could equitably distribute prizes, maybe based on the players Shield level.

Anyway please chime in if you agree that BOP should be a permanent game mode. Remember if you are opposed to more game modes, you don't have to play them icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No.

But make Combined Arms permanent.

No need to tinker with an awful formula and make BOP somewhat playable when you already have an awesome, working template in Combined Arms.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    69e0de66981d3c3d8d667ce788fbd7b7.jpg
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, nope, nie, nein, ليس, 不, ne, לא, नहीं, δεν, nem, しません, 아니, chan eil, hhayi.....
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    While generally that is a horrible idea, there is one area where a similar mechanism could work, the 2* and 3* essential nodes in pve.

In those nodes only, increase their level boost sufficiently that those fights are not the usual tedious 2v3 fights many effectively have now.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    God no. BOP is the worst pvp event.
  • Andre_Leca_89
    Andre_Leca_89 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    No I have always hated balance of power I just play the seed teams and that is it, D3 should have a 24 hour lightning round playing everyday with rewards like a normal PVP
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    If anything should be permanently running, it should be Gauntlet. End of discussion.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    BOP is a slow, grindy event. I'm not a fan. I probably won't even hit 575 this time. We'll see.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Um, no. And I'm not even filled with the vitriol for it some are. But, even having a moderate interest, it need be nothing more than an off-season novelty, not a permanent fixture.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hard no. That's the worst idea I've heard all week.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    no for BOP. yes Yes YESSSSSS for combined arms...
  • spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Bwahahahaha

Oh wait, you were serious? Allow me to laugh even harder.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    I'll pass, thanks.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! This is the worst event ever!

I also agree Combined arms is much better.
    If anything should be permanently running, it should be Gauntlet. End of discussion.

Yes yes yes and a 1000 times yes. We need a Season long Gauntlet ASAP!
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    BoP used to be one of the best off-season events IMO. After the champion "rebalance" now it's just the worst. Higher star-level characters dominate the game but it gives everyone way more health and make the event super grindy.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have a permanent BOP, it's called the new Super Lightning Rounds. The Whales have the Power while the Balance is everyone finishes T20! icon_twisted.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its already a permanent event. It happens every off season
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:

No it doesn't. Last off season was Combined Arms and Nefarious Foes, the one before that was Earth's Mightiest and Best Friends Forever, and the one before THAT had Divine Champions and Balance of Power.

It's literally been three months since they last ran it.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Phumade wrote:

No it doesn't. Last off season was Combined Arms and Nefarious Foes, the one before that was Earth's Mightiest and Best Friends Forever, and the one before THAT had Divine Champions and Balance of Power.

It's literally been three months since they last ran it.

And I didn't see a soul complaining about it.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Put a bullet in Balance of Power and pray we never see it again. Worst event evar