Additional, or "Bonus", damage is being treated as a second attack. [By Design]

Skrofa
Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
It used to be that when firing his blue everything would happen at the same time. Turn tiles to green, turn swords to basic, deal all the damage.
Now, it's like, steps...
1. Deal base damage
2. Turn tile to green. If there are green matches, create swords. Wait till board settles.
3. Turn swords to basic.
4. Deal the sword-turning damage.

Bug or feature?

Moderator note: edited title from "Dak3n" to "Daken" to make this more searchable. Issue exists with both 2* and 3* Daken. -DayvBang

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Just had the same thing happen fighting against 2* Daken in The Hunt PvE.

I guess it has something to do with the timing of the strike tile removal, where this used to happen instantly it has changed to there being a slight delay between the two a while back. It won't happen often because 2 tiles changing almost never creates a match, but I can't imagine this 'new mechanic' is supposed to be happening at all.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is happening with both Daken (2* and 3*) and also the OML Black "Still Sharp". It's becoming a two-attack power. So with OML Black, you can take 14,000 dmg to defeat one enemy and then more damage to defeat another enemy, when your special tiles get destroyed.

It's kind of both a feature and a bug.. it's definitely different than how it used to be.
  • MunitionsFrenzy
    MunitionsFrenzy Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Definitely a glitch, not a feature. I just went up against a Daken who did 565 base Chemical Reaction damage and converted two Strike tiles for 325 damage each. His Chemical Reaction didn't trigger an Energy Absorption that was set to take effect on anything above 841 damage.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I don't notice a problem. Nope. Nothing to see here. Daken's blue works as needed. Yup. Just everything is normal.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    dokiy wrote:
    I don't notice a problem. Nope. Nothing to see here. Daken's blue works as needed. Yup. Just everything is normal.
    I completely concur, no problem here for anyone to worry about. Especially when you have 5*BP running his Panther's Prey as your Daken power now makes two damaging hits plus the total strike tile damage. No issue. Thanks for checking though. How about those dang Patriots?
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Alright. So, I am using my team I like to call the Goon Squad (Dak3n, Dr. Strang3 and Thano5). I have enough blue to launch Chemical Reaction but I have no strike tiles on the board. Well, Daken jumps, growls, and slashes doing 781 damage and creating 2 green tiles. Said green tiles incidentally create a match thus creating 2 red strike tiles. Then to my surprise, said 2 strike tiles flash and disappear doing an additional 1092 damage.

That's not how it is supposed to happen. When did it start dealing extra damage after you launch the attack and new strike tiles are created after the attack has been completed? Anyone else notice this?

For the record, I have duplicated this situation. It was not a one time fluke.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    As someone who uses Daken a lot, I am a huge fan of the change to this 2 step attack. It's a lot more clear how much damage is done from the initial attack vs. how much is done from the strike tile conversion. Also, the green tile conversion happens before the strike tile conversion, so occasionally you get an extra strike tile if you're lucky.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe related (or not), but I was playing *against* a Daken and on a green match, the strike tiles appeared and then popped away on the same turn.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Also when he coverts blue tiles to green if it causes a cascade it will benefit from the strike tiles on the board then once it all settles down the strike tiles blow up. The cascade can get rid of the tiles though.

the Daken in PVE was high level enough that his strike tiles on a massive cascade probably added 3000 more dmg.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    For what it's worth, if you read the description for "Chemical Reaction", the power is working exactly as described. Definitely different than before, though. I wonder if this was an update they sneaked in?? Why wouldn't they make an announcement about it?
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    ***Dear Devs***

This type of change to a character we face in all ungodly situations needs to be either communicated as a change or flagged as a bug.

I left an in progress match to report on my recent very tinykitty experience with fighting a 2* Daken.

Daken and I have traded green matches.

There are two enemy strike tiles.

Daken uses chemical reaction.

Daken deals the original 813 damage and then 463 damage x2 for the strikes.

2 tiles turn green, creating a green match.

New strike tile is created and then subsequently eaten as well by the power for another hit of 463 damage.

What the tinykitty is this tinykitty.

Unacceptable!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    For what it's worth, if you read the description for "Chemical Reaction", the power is working exactly as described. Definitely different than before, though. I wonder if this was an update they sneaked in?? Why wouldn't they make an announcement about it?
    I was about to contradict you, but you're right. That is how it reads.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I managed to kill two opponents with Chemical Reaction earlier - one with the green conversion damage, and the other with the Strike tile wiping damage.

It's definitely not how it used to work, but no clue whether it's intentional... or desirable, given how often Daken pops up in the old Dark Reign PVEs...
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    Seems to be an issue with daken when he fires his chemical reaction power

The power is fired it creates green tiles which if three in a row creates an attack tile then chemical reaction removes the tile it's just created

Seems a bit unfair as the power should only remove tiles that are already on the board when the power is fired.

At least that's how the power always used to work

I've noticed it four times now , most recently there was only one attack tile on the board, AI played his chemical reaction power and it made two more attack tiles after the green was added and then removed all three tiles

Seems like its cheating to me !!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a known bug right now where Chemical Reaction resolves in two parts; first the base damage is done and blue tiles are converted to green, and second the bonus damage per strike tile is done and the strike tiles are removed.

If the green tiles created trigger a match which creates a strike tile, then it is possible (if there aren't already more strike tiles out that the power can use) that the brand new tile will be immediately used in the second part of the power.

Since it's a bug I wouldn't worry about it too much. Calling it cheating, however, is pretty silly considering it affects the power both when you use it or when the computer uses it. And there's actually some upside to the way the power currently works (unless you're on the receiving end, I guess) because A) the base damage portion of the power benefits from the strike tiles that will be removed in part 2 and B) you can generate extra strike tiles to use in part 2 to do yet more damage.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker

Well, you sir have hit the nail on the head!

It seems that the same pedantic guy who decided that a bunch of characters should interact differently with basic tiles, decided to change chemical reaction as well.

Does it now do what it says? Yes.
    Did anyone complain? No.
    Is it good or bad? Meh... Don't care, he will soon be irrelevant to my roster.
    Should we be notified for the change? TINYKITTY YES!!!
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    In Nefarious Foes event, I used Kingpin black, with countdown tiles out, against Red Hulk.  2 red countdown tiles appeared.  
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a (known) bug with Kingpin black, not Seeing Red. Basically it does damage twice, both of which are enough to trigger Seeing Red.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's a (known) bug with Kingpin black, not Seeing Red. Basically it does damage twice, both of which are enough to trigger Seeing Red.
    Ah, thanks. Somehow I hadn't noticed on anyone else because I think I only ever targeted Rhulk this event. 
  • panglossian
    panglossian Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Also, Luke Cage's Righteous Uppercut; Daken's Chemical Reaction; Thor's Call The Storm seemed to apply 4 hits across the opponent's team - Storm's Raging Tempest wiped out my team with 4 full-on hits when I used it, circa 24000 total damage. Insane.

I'm afraid I've stopped doing anything other than sighing and shaking my head when I come across these now. They're here - they'll probably stick around for a while, and when (if) they do get fixed, they'll just be replaced by some other similar bug(s) in the same version that the fix is in.