Does D3 License Each Character Seperately From Marvel?

Options
Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Does anyone know how D3's license with Marvel works? I'm wondering if maybe they don't have access to every character but have to pay extra for each new one they add. That's the only reason I can think of as to why the make so many different versions of the same characters while some popular characters don't even have one.
One I'm surprised that hasn't appeared yet is Nightcrawler. Is he not very popular anymore? When I was collecting comics, granted a long time ago, he was very popular. Also, Sabertooth was one of the most popular villains. I'm surprised he's not in the game.

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the biggest problem (someone can correct me if I am wrong) is Fox studios.

Fox used to own Marvel. They then sold it to Disney. However, they kept the rights to some stuff (hence why the Marvel part of Universal Studios-Orlando is still around even though they compete with Disney World). They kept the rights to the X-men mostly.

If you look, you can tell which studio puts out movies as well. Fox puts out the Xmen movies (days of future past, apocalypse), while Disney/Marvel gets to put out the Avengers, Captain America, Guardians, etc.

So, that is why in the Avengers, no one can mention that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids... because Fox owns Magneto.

Therefore, I think it will always be a struggle for them to get more of the Xmen-type-mutant characters into this game. Not sure how they managed to get mags and wolverine in at all, but I think that is where the major hangup is.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think that D3 may be at the mercy of Marvel dictating which characters are to be introduced. If Marvel doesn't want Nightcrawler or Sabretooth in the game, they won't be in the game.

Also, note that new characters are often launched to tie-in with movie or comic events. Nothing big with Nightcrawler or Sabretooth recently, so that could affect it as well.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I think the biggest problem (someone can correct me if I am wrong) is Fox studios.

Fox used to own Marvel. They then sold it to Disney. However, they kept the rights to some stuff (hence why the Marvel part of Universal Studios-Orlando is still around even though they compete with Disney World). They kept the rights to the X-men mostly.

If you look, you can tell which studio puts out movies as well. Fox puts out the Xmen movies (days of future past, apocalypse), while Disney/Marvel gets to put out the Avengers, Captain America, Guardians, etc.

So, that is why in the Avengers, no one can mention that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids... because Fox owns Magneto.

Therefore, I think it will always be a struggle for them to get more of the Xmen-type-mutant characters into this game. Not sure how they managed to get mags and wolverine in at all, but I think that is where the major hangup is.

AFAIK, Marvel was never owned by Fox. They were once owned by New World Pictures. They licensed some of their properties to Fox for movies.

Fox does not own Magneto. Fox owns the film rights to Magneto.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    AFAIK, Marvel was never owned by Fox. They were once owned by New World Pictures. They licensed some of their properties to Fox for movies.

Fox does not own Magneto. Fox owns the film rights to Magneto.

I think this is correct. Marvel was going bankrupt and sold the movie rights for xmen and F4 to Fox, Spiderman to Sony, Hulk to universal etc. Then they decided to make their own studio and that eventually got bought by Disney. But the character rights still belong to Marvel, so they could put out all the xmen in this game and for toys, they just don't want to. Even tho they could make money from Xmen toys, they dont want to make them since that would promote the Fox movies.

Movie rights expire if they aren't used quick enough which is why Daredevil's rights are back to Marvel
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Movie licensing rights have absolutely no bearing on video game licensing rights. The two are separate. Activision used to make games based on X-Men, Spider-Man and Deadpool while people were complaining about Sony's stranglehold on Spidey's movie rights; Sega made Avengers games while Capcom made games with Avengers and X-Men and Spider-Man in them. WB Games / Traveller's Tales are still making LEGO Marvel games starring the whole Marvel cast!

This "Fox owns X-Men so we can't have X-characters" stuff is just nonsense. It may be that Marvel doesn't want to promote X-Men characters for some reason, but this never really made any sense to me. Why would Marvel not want more comic book sales and character/brand recognition based on promotion in games, even if Fox reaps most of the benefits through their movie license?
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    It may be that Marvel doesn't want to promote X-Men characters for some reason, but this never really made any sense to me. Why would Marvel not want more comic book sales and character/brand recognition based on promotion in games, even if Fox reaps most of the benefits through their movie license?

You are right that Marvel is stopping toys/games featuring X-Men because they don't want to promote Fox movies. The $$ they make from comic book sales is so small compared to the $$ from movies. They largely view comic books as incubation/testing for future movie stories/characters.

And they want MPQ to promote the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The comic universe is not important.

I'm actually really surprised that they approved Old Man Logan. I beat they did not appreciate how popular in the game he would be. I wonder if they are trying to get D3 to nerf him!
  • AngryGerman
    AngryGerman Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Straycat wrote:

Movie rights expire if they aren't used quick enough which is why Daredevil's rights are back to Marvel

This is also why the last Fantastic Four movie was a huge pile of poo. (Or so I've heard. I didn't have the heart to watch it) Fox's license on their movie rights was expiring, so they just shoved something out the door fast.

And as to not promoting X-Men stuff, the less profitable the brand is, the higher the chance Fox will sell it back to Marvel.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    The "Marvel is trying to kill the X-Men to get the movie rights back" rumor has been going around for years now, and it's simply not true. The X-Men are front and center in the current big crossover in the comics (Inhumans vs. X-Men) and, when the crossover is finished, another big event, ResurrXion, will begin that reboots the entire X-Men line and starts two core team titles (X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold), a third student-focused team title (Generation X), at least five solo titles (Jean Grey, Iceman, Cable, Weapon X and All-New Wolverine), and likely a few additional titles. Clearly Marvel is not trying to kill off the X-Men (though they did kill off Cyclops, THANK GOD) nor are they trying to suppress marketing them to try to kill the movies. Though they are not the primary rights holders, Marvel does have a stake in the X-Men movies and it would be foolish for them to sabotage their own product.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The "Marvel is trying to kill the X-Men to get the movie rights back" rumor has been going around for years now, and it's simply not true. The X-Men are front and center in the current big crossover in the comics (Inhumans vs. X-Men) and, when the crossover is finished, another big event, ResurrXion, will begin that reboots the entire X-Men line and starts two core team titles (X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold), a third student-focused team title (Generation X), at least five solo titles (Jean Grey, Iceman, Cable, Weapon X and All-New Wolverine), and likely a few additional titles. Clearly Marvel is not trying to kill off the X-Men (though they did kill off Cyclops, THANK GOD) nor are they trying to suppress marketing them to try to kill the movies. Though they are not the primary rights holders, Marvel does have a stake in the X-Men movies and it would be foolish for them to sabotage their own product.

And yet, Future Fight, with an incredibly deep list of characters, has zero X-Men (and does have Gwenpool but not Deadpool.. what?). We're doing a bit better, but still missing a number of them, despite nearly constant request. Despite how foolish it may or may not be for them to sabotage their own product, it is the impression that disparities like this lead people to assume, and the most logical explanation for the state of some of the games.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Options
    firethorne wrote:

And yet, Future Fight, with an incredibly deep list of characters, has zero X-Men (and does have Gwenpool but not Deadpool.. what?). We're doing a bit better, but still missing a number of them, despite nearly constant request. Despite how foolish it may or may not be for them to sabotage their own product, it is the impression that disparities like this lead people to assume, and the most logical explanation for the state of some of the games.

But Contest of Champions has lots of X-Men in it, with Wolverine and Dazzler being added soon. And the X-Men characters in MPQ were added long after Fox bought the movie rights, and even long after the rumors of Marvel killing the X-Men began circulating.

I honestly don't know why we aren't getting any new mutants (or New Mutants!), but I can say with almost complete certainty that it isn't because Marvel refuses to license them.

What would be really great is if a dev were to pop in here for a brief moment and explain the reasoning behind all this, but I'm guessing that will never happen.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    Why would Marvel not want more comic book sales and character/brand recognition based on promotion in games, even if Fox reaps most of the benefits through their movie license?

Here was the total comic book industry sales numbers
    rican
    Market size, including both print and digital estimates by Comichron and ICV2.com
    DIGITAL sales for Comics (not counting subscription services) in North America, as calculated by ICV2.com (est.):

Physical sales Digital
    2011 $715 million $25 million
    2012 $805 million $70 million
    2013 $870 million $90 million
    2014 $935 million $100 million
    2015 $1.03 billion $90 million

Here are the box office receipts for the last 4 mcu films
    Box Office History for Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies
    Release Date Movie Domestic Box Office
    Aug 1, 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy $333,172,112
    May 1, 2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron $459,005,868
    Jul 17, 2015 Ant-Man $180,202,163
    May 6, 2016 Captain America: Civil War $408,084,349

These are just the domestic numbers. Once you add in the foreign box office revenue...

Comic books are still an important revenue stream, but the film revenues are what really makes a difference to the bottom line.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sorry then, my bad. I always thought it was all due to licensing rights, never was aware the movie rights were sold independently from video games. I must have been trying to make sense to something that made no sense to me
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually, it is true. It just isn't true for the comics. Insiders at Marvel (most prominently Chris Claremont via Bleeding Cool News) have outright said that Disney wants tight controls on all promotions of X-Men outside comic book distribution. Toys, collectibles, and yes even video games. Just look at the facts:

1. Marvel cancels Fantastic Four prior to the release of their latest film after word leaked it wasn't screening well. Even though FF wasn't a top seller, the Fantastic Four was Marvel's longest running (and first) monthly book. Disney saw this as an opportunity to help sink any future this franchise had at Fox studios.
    2. There is an active ban on all X-Men action figures and there was absolutely zero promotional merchandising done for the last X-film (DoFP). This is because Disney/Marvel still controls all merchandising related to the X-Men and FF, not Fox, and they don't want to help Fox promote the films Disney wants back. Plus, they'd have to pay Fox for a portion of all said merchandising.
    3. Marvel editors and writers are under strict instructions (according to Claremont) not to create any new mutant characters in the comics.

The X-Men still have a large presence in the printed comics because they are Marvel's best seller and they recently lost the majority market share to DC after being on top for more than 40 years - they can't afford to stop printing X-Men comics.

Now, none of this means games like MPQ can't get their hands on mutants, it's ultimately up to Disney/Marvel, but I imagine its very difficult. But believe me, the cold war with Fox is very, very real.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Actually, it is true. It just isn't true for the comics. Insiders at Marvel (most prominently Chris Claremont via Bleeding Cool News) have outright said that Disney wants tight controls on all promotions of X-Men outside comic book distribution. Toys, collectibles, and yes even video games. Just look at the facts:

1. Marvel cancels Fantastic Four prior to the release of their latest film after word leaked it wasn't screening well. Even though FF wasn't a top seller, the Fantastic Four was Marvel's longest running (and first) monthly book. Disney saw this as an opportunity to help sink any future this franchise had at Fox studios.

Actually, FF has been cancelled several times over the years, as have X-Men, Avengers and basically any title that isn't performing very well at the moment. And FF was, when it was cancelled, one of Marvel's lowest-selling titles.
    2. There is an active ban on all X-Men action figures and there was absolutely zero promotional merchandising done for the last X-film (DoFP). This is because Disney/Marvel still controls all merchandising related to the X-Men and FF, not Fox, and they don't want to help Fox promote the films Disney wants back. Plus, they'd have to pay Fox for a portion of all said merchandising.

That's simply not true. I personally got a Kitty Pryde action figure as a Christmas gift from my wife. Purchased at Target even, not a specialty piece from a comics shop.
    3. Marvel editors and writers are under strict instructions (according to Claremont) not to create any new mutant characters in the comics.

And yet we have Generation X coming out this spring, which will contain a mix of old and new characters. Claremont, as much as I love him, is hardly a reliable source. At the time of that interview his Nightcrawler solo series had been (unceremoniously) cancelled, and he's had a longstanding beef with Marvel off and on since they canned him in the 90s.
    The X-Men still have a large presence in the printed comics because they are Marvel's best seller and they recently lost the majority market share to DC after being on top for more than 40 years - they can't afford to stop printing X-Men comics.

Now, none of this means games like MPQ can't get their hands on mutants, it's ultimately up to Disney/Marvel, but I imagine its very difficult. But believe me, the cold war with Fox is very, very real.

I don't doubt that Disney want the rights back, and that Marvel are willing to help out with that as they can, but actively sabotaging their properties just doesn't make sense. Add to that the fact that Marvel Studios have a stake in the X-Men movies, and it all just seems so silly.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually, FF has been cancelled several times over the years, as have X-Men, Avengers
    When?
    I personally got a Kitty Pryde action figure as a Christmas gift from my wife.
    There is an active ban on movie-related action figures. I should have clarified.
    I don't doubt that Disney want the rights back, and that Marvel are willing to help out with that as they can, but actively sabotaging their properties just doesn't make sense. Add to that the fact that Marvel Studios have a stake in the X-Men movies, and it all just seems so silly.
    What stake? Marvel gets their banner displayed before the movie starts? Marvel Studios has zero involvement with the making or distribution of these films and they make less than 1% of the profits. What's silly is to think that Disney isn't salivating to get the rights back for X-Men, specifically Wolverine, Marvel's most lucrative brand. This was made obvious by the fact that they jumped in with an offer to Sony to share Spider-Man after Amazing Spider-Man 2 was Sony's lowest profited Spider-Man film.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phumade wrote:

Comic books are still an important revenue stream, but the film revenues are what really makes a difference to the bottom line.

Motion pictures cost orders of magnitude more to produce than comic books. A $350m gross often winds up being a $15m profit. Your average comic book takes something along the lines of, say, 15-20 people to manufacture, including the artists and writers, and the printing/distribution employees. A film like Guardians of the Galaxy probably takes 1500-2000 people. Plus studio time, film, equipment, etc. etc.

If Marvel were still a separate company, you'd just have to look at their annual report, which would probably tell you what their net profit is by segment. Disney breaks things out by segments, but Marvel as a whole is lumped in with the motion picture unit, which includes Pixar, and the regular Disney films, and... well, a lot. So there's no real way to tease that out.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I worked in the industry. Marvel / Disney does in fact have policies to shift support from X-Men and Fantastic Four properties to properties they have the film rights to. This is also why the Inhumans have seen so much focus, they've been trying to make them stand-ins for mutants.

There's plenty of real-world examples, from t-shirts (re-released shirts have had the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters Photoshopped out, see here.) to the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom game which seemingly excludes all X-Men and Fantastic Four characters.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    Why would Marvel not want more comic book sales and character/brand recognition based on promotion in games, even if Fox reaps most of the benefits through their movie license?

Here was the total comic book industry sales numbers
    rican
    Market size, including both print and digital estimates by Comichron and ICV2.com
    DIGITAL sales for Comics (not counting subscription services) in North America, as calculated by ICV2.com (est.):

Physical sales Digital
    2011 $715 million $25 million
    2012 $805 million $70 million
    2013 $870 million $90 million
    2014 $935 million $100 million
    2015 $1.03 billion $90 million

Here are the box office receipts for the last 4 mcu films
    Box Office History for Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies
    Release Date Movie Domestic Box Office
    Aug 1, 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy $333,172,112
    May 1, 2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron $459,005,868
    Jul 17, 2015 Ant-Man $180,202,163
    May 6, 2016 Captain America: Civil War $408,084,349

These are just the domestic numbers. Once you add in the foreign box office revenue...

Well, it costs a whole lot more money to make, market, and distribute films than in does to write, draw, and distribute comics. Especially now that a large portion of comics sales are digital. So looking at the gross revenue is a little misleading. That said, movies are definitely the major profit center now, and clearly have a broader cultural reach than comics.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Actually, FF has been cancelled several times over the years, as have X-Men, Avengers
    When?

The main FF and X-Men series had never been stopped since the sixties.

Only about the last few (~3-4) years I'm not sure what happend.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Teskal wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:
    When?

The main FF and X-Men series had never been stopped since the sixties.

Only about the last few (~3-4) years I'm not sure what happend.
    Between 1970 and 1975 no new X-men stories were published though. The comic was still coming out, but it was all reprints of old stories. Then in 1975 Giant size X-men restarted the franchise.
    ...Yeah, that was 40 years ago, but still...