Which 3* characters have good active blue powers?

Options
Ronfar
Ronfar Posts: 150
edited February 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Aside from Magneto (Classic) who has a powerful nuke as his bluetile.png power, who else has decent skills? I have a lot of trouble filling the bluetile.png user slot in my team.

Other characters with bluetile.png powers:

Steve Rogers (Super Soldier): Expensive, recurring stun. Decent but not great.
Doctor Doom: Turns blue tiles black. I guess this is decent but why not just match black tiles?
Iron Man (Model 40): Wow that costs a ton, even with Recharge...
Daken: Nobody uses him for his blue power...
Spider-Man: Once broken, now a weak stun.
Beast: Generally considered weak overall. Haven't used him much.
Daredevil: Nice recurring stun, but his red is awkward and his purple is situational.
Mystique: Eh, maybe. What am I fueling with this?
Psylocke: Useless.
She-Hulk: Situational.
Rocket and Groot: A countdown to strike tiles... doesn't sound promising unless their values are ridiculous.

So who DO I use?

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cap's blue is great. Can overwrite tiles, stun with AP return allows your team to take down much stronger teams with annoying defensive passives like Thing, XDP and Peggy. It's the closest thing to Spiderman's old stunlock.

R+G's strike tiles are strong, and they make 4 of em. Green is a good board clear, and yellow is useful in those rare grindy fights where RNG has whittled you down to a 1v1. Magneto's better overall but R+G's a great character.

I also use Daken's blue whenever I use Daken, he's not just for healing and strike generation. I use him with Strange and Thanos to blaze through the easy pve nodes. His blue's a cheap active that can usually get a Court Death if there's a couple of strike tiles out.

And you haven't looked at Mystique's other abilities if you're asking what her blue fuels. When boosted she does like 13k damage with her purple black combo. The AI gets the combo right most of the time too.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would say Strange probably has the overall best active blue in 3* land. High damage and 3 turns of stun, plus you can divide the damage as you need, and on top of that targeted AP destruction. It also costs 1 less than Magneto's and does slightly more damage, and the damage isn't conditional on certain colors being on the board. As for the rest you listed, Spidey's stun is still pretty decent, Cap's is great versus goons, R&G's can make you hit very hard, DD's can become permanent stun under the right circumstances, and Beast's is cheap and gives decent value even if it is random.
  • Andre_Leca_89
    Andre_Leca_89 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:
    Aside from Magneto (Classic) who has a powerful nuke as his bluetile.png power, who else has decent skills? I have a lot of trouble filling the bluetile.png user slot in my team.

Doctor Doom: Turns blue tiles black. I guess this is decent but why not just match black tiles?
    Daredevil: Nice recurring stun, but his red is awkward and his purple is situational.
    Rocket and Groot: A countdown to strike tiles... doesn't sound promising unless their values are ridiculous.

So who DO I use?

You left out magneto, very strong blue he scares me in PVP
    I use 2* and 3* Daken I use him now and then he is a good character
    Beast is a good character you just need to run him a little bit
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I use Daken's blue a lot; buddy him with someone like Patch and its nasty. Falcon's blue is great support. Vision's blue is da bomb, but his team combos are so limited. Dr. Strange's blue might be the best power in the whole 3-star tier. There are also some great passive blues in Quicksilver, Hood, and S.Witch.

And Doom's blue is 50/50 on usefulness, but when used right it can be a game changer.
  • Ronfar
    Options
    Andre MPQ wrote:
    Ronfar wrote:
    Aside from Magneto (Classic)

You left out magneto

No I didn't!
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Magneto and Strange are your go to guys, but Beast isn't as bad as you seem to be suggesting. Groot isn't bad either, for green/blue, but both of those require you to want green as well as blue.
  • Orchedelia
    Options
    I use icon_scarletwitch.png Scarlet Witch a lot, just for the blue.
    Her blueflag.png gives me purpleflag.png for KK, and with Hulk they are my Holy Trifecta to get any job done (in my 3* Land).
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:

So who DO I use?
    My analysis (focused on blue only):
    • Magneto: A good nuke. Be careful though not to fire it unless there's at least 7 blue AND red on the board for max effect. (I still remember my surprise when I fired it on a blue-starved board for the first time icon_mrgreen.gif)
    • Steve Rogers: I agree it's expensive, but it's a strong power because it returns so much AP.
    • Doom: I don't use his blue often, but it's a good black generator. Also, cascades.
    • IM40: Not that great, you will probably only use it as finishing move OR if he's the only blue user on the team.
    • Daken: 'Nobody uses him for his blue power' I disagree; it's a fast, cheap move that dishes out decent damage once you have some strike tiles out.
    • Spidey: Meh. It's cheap I guess. Can buy you some time when in a pinch, but why are you using spidey anyway? icon_lol.gif
    • Beast: Not that great, generally this is only used to boost his green power.
    • DD: Very good. Especially against goons.
    • Mystique: It does have the benefit of generating more tiles in her colors. Not great imo.
    • Psylocke: Agreed this is useless. Hey, but what if you team her up with 4* Captain Marvel?? Hmmm... icon_mrgreen.gif
    • She-Hulk: Meh. If it's the only one you have, okay I guess. But there are better tile stealers/improvers.
    • R&G: The countdown sucks, but it resolves quickly (if i remember correctly) and the strength of the produced strike tiles is not to be underestimated. If not the strongest in 3* land, certainly among them.
    • Strange: Strong; stun, damage, and AP destruction. What's not to love?
    • Black Panther: Pretty much useless
    • Rags: Pretty much useless
    • Vision: Very strong (when not broken icon_mrgreen.gif). But suffers from Vision's default 'flaw', in that he has to tank his colors for it to be useful in the first place. I love the amount of destruction a boosted Vision can do when he tanks many colors.
    • Doc Oc: Generally, this is just an expensive board shake. Might have some 'oomph' if the board is laden with special tiles.
  • Andre_Leca_89
    Andre_Leca_89 Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:
    Andre MPQ wrote:
    Ronfar wrote:
    Aside from Magneto (Classic)

You left out magneto

No I didn't!

Lol i am blind
  • willyswim
    willyswim Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    When using Patch, Loki, and Doom, Doom's blue speeds the whole thing up. Make a couple blue matches and with a good board you can have a ton of black for Loki with out exposing him to damage.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Big undersell on Groot's blue. You can place the tile and it's only a couple turns, so it's very likely to go off, and the strikes are monstrous.

Doom's blue is kinda clumsy in that it's one of those "affects the tiles that you have to get rid of to fire it" deals, but it can give you LOADS of black if you use him with IM40 (or maybe Miles with 5 yellow) and get the AP to fire it that way.

How is Beast's blue "weak?" It's cheap as hell, goes off the next turn (at 5 covers) and the tiles are pretty strong. Great ability.

Mostly agreed on the rest, though I will say Psylocke's blue has occasionally screwed me over when the AI uses it as a teamup and I forget it's out there because she isn't on the team.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    100% agree with other posters on the strength of GRocket's "I Got a Plan". Another positive about it is that you can place it on any basic tile (not just blue) so it's really easy to bury it in the corner to ensure that it resolves. This is also helpful in a blue-starved board because you don't have to put the CD on a blue tile (where the strikes need to generate). The fact that you get 4 burly strike tiles (at 5 covers) means one or two can be matched away and you're still getting a decent benefit for multiple turns. It's a tad expensive AP-wise, but nothing that IM40 can't fix. icon_e_wink.gif

With 3* scaling, if you get that blue off early you will generally win the match quickly, especially if you have someone else on the team with cheap powers (or attack tiles). I wouldn't call it the best active blue in the tier, but it's very strong.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As others have said, both grocket's and beast's blue are great (if not extraordinaire) powers. Your list doesn't even have Vision, whose blue is quite good as well.
  • Ronfar
    Options
    Sadly, I have exactly zero Vision or Stephen Strange covers. But I can certainly start putting more ISO into Rocket and Groot.
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    just saying this, 3 star Black Panther also has an active blue ability........
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    geno685 wrote:
    just saying this, 3 star Black Panther also has an active blue ability........
    ...which is certainly his worst. Seriously, given how good the other 2 are, I wouldn't bother putting more than 3 covers in it. Best to think about 3* Panther as a yellow/black character and bring a better blue user if possible.
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I use very frequently Cyclops + IF combo and so usually go with the following characters for equally appealing blue .

Magneto - Does 4k damage and shakes board a bit. But makes the combo with weak Green overall.

R&G - Blue is decent if not great. Compensates with great Green board shake due to unlimited upside for board shake.
    But Yellow has to be tanked and that is a great problem

Switch - No comments as there is Purple, Black and Red generators with nukes in Black, Purple and Red. Shake and kill combo.

Beast - Very useful in this combo and with tailor made skillset of AOE green with Blue sp tiles and Health Burst for just in case scenarios.

Strange - Yet to champ but has better Yellow + Blue than R&G or Beast.

Others comments on better Blue seeking combos are welcome!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't sleep on Doctor Doom, he's one of the best 3* in the game. You want five covers in blue and purple. Use the black it generates to feed someone else's black -- the important thing is that it converts ALL the basic blue tiles, so you won't ever have a problem predicting the results. Hang onto it until the right moment and it can easily create a couple of critical and/match-4s, causing a huge cascade and generating not only a ton of black, but also a mix of other AP and good match damage.

Mystique's blue looks similar, but you can never be sure how much it will help you.

You mentioned Magneto, of course.

As others have said, Rocket & Groot blue is saved by the ability to pick a age location.

And then there are the stuns. Strange is great. Cap is slow to start but incredibly versatile with selected tile overwriting, solid protect tiles, and AP self-feeding. Daredevil is ok. Spidey needs a complete redesign.

Daken blue is decent.

I'm not going into passives here.

The following blue actives are basically awful: Vision (requires him to tank colors to take effect so often wasted), Spidey, Psylocke, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Doc Ock, She-Hulk.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    The following blue actives are basically awful: Vision (requires him to tank colors to take effect so often wasted)

I would partially disagree with this. Vision as a whole requires you to be very specific choosing his teammates, but if those are chosen carefully he can be quite effective. Who will tank what color is very predictable, so it's a weakness that can be worked around. 3* Cap and 3* Magneto are almost always better choices for red/blue than 3* vision, but if I need red/blue and the other two are wounded, Vision can be useful. More so than She-Hulk, certainly. Daredevil could also fill the position, but he's another one that you want to carefully consider the characters on both sides. If I'm taking Patch, Daredevil looks really good. If I'm going against Daken or someone else putting down a lot of red special tiles, Daredevil looks a lot worse.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:

So who DO I use?

You've already found Magneto. He doesn't even get locked out of PVE nodes anymore. What's the issue?
    Ronfar wrote:
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier):Expensive, recurring stun. Decent but not great.
    Unless you like keeping somone stunned 2/3 of the time while also creating strong protect tiles and removing pesky special tiles. And his red isn't too shabby either.
    Ronfar wrote:
    To get more Black than was on the board to begin with. We'd need to know the rest of your team, I guess.
    Ronfar wrote:
    Yeah IM40 is good for lots of reasons, but Ballistic Salvo is not one of them
    Ronfar wrote:
    Don't be silly. 5 AP for ~2k damage is an excellent deal in 3* world, and he'll occasionally make a few extra Green matches for you. He also makes an excellent Black/Purple tank and strike tile enabler.
    Ronfar wrote:
    Spider-Man: Once broken, now a weak stun
    15 AP for 6 turns of stun isn't really weak if you ask me.
    Ronfar wrote:
    Beast: Generally considered weak overall. Haven't used him much
    Beast might be considered weak overall, but not because of this. If you were going to add Beast to your team to fill one hole it would be this one
    Ronfar wrote:
    I'm starting to think you don't value stuns very much. Also, only now you're worried about what else these chars bring to the team?
    Ronfar wrote:
    Luke Cage/Iron Fist? Might be ok but yeah, this is probably too much work for not enough gain.
    Ronfar wrote:
    Uh... yeah.
    Ronfar wrote:
    Yeah, and not really worth what you do even get out of it I'd say
    Ronfar wrote:
    They are. As others have pointed out, this power is pretty great.

I would definitely recommend either sticking with Magneto, using R&G, or Doctor Strange as others have mentioned, unless there's a very specific circumstance that requires stun-locking or special tile removal or whatever