Civil War Vault

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    broll wrote:
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Thanks. I needed a reminded that the forums, will, in fact, complain about anything.

Thanks. I needed a reminder that some players have no idea of value and that's probably why they keep producing these god awful vaults vs improving them. icon_rolleyes.gif

Very clairvoyant observation there, given I didn't say anything about the value of the vaults. Rather, I was noting that the event was live for two minutes before someone was on the forums complaining about something. Maybe I should have been more clear.

As for the vaults and their value, I don't think they're worth it, and that they could use some improvement. So I'm speaking with the most powerful tool I have, my wallet, and I'm not wasting money or HP on them. Just because I don't rush to the forums to be first in line to complain doesn't mean I don't also see the problem.

Fair enough, sorry to make assumptions on your intention.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Team Cap: Drax (black), Ant-Man (purple), Jean Grey (Green)
    Team IM: Cho (Blue), Venom (Black), Mr. F (Yellow)
    Civil War: Drax (Red)

Cho and Mr. F are the only ones I can't use, but I'm honestly much more tempted to still try and get my 12th Thoress cover from Webbed Wonder than to spend any significant amount of HP on these vaults. The JG cover would be nice, but bringing her to 3/3/3 isn't quite enough to get excited about yet.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclops cover, but he's champed. Eh, moving on, might try again for that green Howard cover over his in vault.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Mine has a blue Iceman cover, I decided to open some 10-packs out of an abundance of HP and desire for ISO. I got the Hail to the King token, and it was a champ level for my Katie. I guess this is fine. Not sure if I'll keep trying for the Iceman, since he's just a champ level, too.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Team Cap: Drax (black), Ant-Man (purple), Jean Grey (Green)
    Team IM: Cho (Blue), Venom (Black), Mr. F (Yellow)
    Civil War: Drax (Red)

Cho and Mr. F are the only ones I can't use, but I'm honestly much more tempted to still try and get my 12th Thoress cover from Webbed Wonder than to spend any significant amount of HP on these vaults. The JG cover would be nice, but bringing her to 3/3/3 isn't quite enough to get excited about yet.

At least for Team Cap and Team IM you can reset, Civil War you can't. All 3 of mine were underwhelming. I reset my Team Iron Man and got Red Hulk (Green), Jean Grey (Purple), and Hulk (Black). All 3 usuable, 2 of 3 highly desirable. Are you listening devs? By letting me pay 400 HP to reset I am now 10000% more likely to spend more money to actually clear the vault to get desirable characters. STOP SHOOTING YOURSELVES (and us) IN THE FOOT BY NO RESET!
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Bought the vault. Random 4 star was:
    blackflag.pngicon_lukecage.png

Hail to the King token was:
    blackflag.pngicon_hulkcho.png
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Bought the 40,

The 4 was a blackflag.pngicon_punisher.png (champ Level, he's on my simulator team)
    And the HttK token turned into a token_legendary.pngyellowflag.pngicon_blackpanther.png

Zero regrets.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    A bit disappointed, I have kate which I guess is ok, but no single pull option, and no reset. Not what I was expecting.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Blue Mr. Fantastic :sad trombone:
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    Mine has Ant-Man, whom I have at 13 covers but not champed. Disappointed at the lack of a single pull option, but not mad. Mostly just confused. Did the testing show this model to be the most successful? If I'm going to splurge on an expensive 10-pull I need odds better than 1/40, or even 2/40. Now, if there were four 4* covers in there? I'll get back to you when I've got some booze in me.

I'd ask if you really think they'd keep going back to it if it weren't successful, but then some players here think D3/Demi have no idea what they're doing in terms of getting people to spend money so I already know the answer to that question. More than likely, what they see when they offer a single token purchase is that more people buy the single token but less people buy out the whole vault.

Edit: To clarify, I don't mean you directly, mega ghost, I'm more talking to everyone here.

Without being behind the scenes it's impossible to say. But I have been behind the scenes in other scenarios and have been appalled at the decision-making process: it's ranged from no A/B testing at all and all decisions are made by one or several unqualified marketing people who essentially just "guess", to flawed and extremely limited testing, followed by the implementation of decisions based on incomplete and incorrect data, to extreme and thorough testing that provides a wide berth of data... that is ultimately completely ignored by some smug manager that either doesn't understand the data or chooses to assume it's incorrect because it's contrary to their preconceived notions.

I'm not saying that D3 falls into any of those categories! I am simply just noting that from the outside it's impossible to assume that any decision that has been made must be informed by something that validates it.

I can say, however, that as a buyer I know what will get me to spend my money and/or HP. Sadly, it doesn't take a lot, and momentum from success only pushes it further and reinvests me to spend more. That threshold is easy to meet during events especially... and they seem to have receded below that threshold across the board here.

The thing that confuses me the most is that they are dealing in digital goods. The cost to them of a 4* cover essentially doesn't exist past the licensing and designing phase. They just have server costs, payroll costs, etc.... they aren't maintaining an inventory. So if they offer us four 4* covers in a vault versus one 4* cover, it's not like a physical good in that their profit will shrink. Why not test to see if this slight increase of odds motivates us more? I've yet to see any testing that errs on the side of being more generous with what is essentially a digital lottery. Even in Vegas the slots only cost a quarter (or up to $1?) per pull, and that offers the possibility of getting actual money back. This vault doesn't even offer HP.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a secondary observation, while we're talking about the Civil War 40-count vault, no one has mentioned an oddity with the Team Cap or Team Iron Man 80-count vaults.

Namely, that the token_legendary.png in them are Latest Legends. Missed opportunity to put in the Hail to the King token, if you ask me.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly all 3 vaults sorta suck. I just want red hulk.

Even a cyclops or even invisible woman would have been interesting (not something I'd empty the vault for though), because they are both sitting at 4/4/4 as my first nearly maxed 4 stars.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    mine was greenflag.pngicon_punisher.png so I bought it. He is now 5/3/4 so the green was the lowest color I had...great

got a greenflag.pngicon_moonknight.png with my King token. Not as good because it gives me 5 green now which is scary for wasted covers since he is now 2-1-5

it was pretty good vault IMO - I use im40 all the time with LT so got a few more levels for him then all the 2* are good for my farm

The team vaults have uninteresting 4* so im not putting anything there
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Mine has a purple Medusa - just happens to be the only color I can't use..... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    how much hp would you guys have paid to get a single re-shuffle of the vault content ?

(by that I mean before getting any picks in it - Not buying it and resetting to buy a second time)

I would have paid 250HP if I did not like the 4*
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 wrote:
    how much hp would you guys have paid to get a single re-shuffle of the vault content ?

(by that I mean before getting any picks in it - Not buying it and resetting to buy a second time)

I would have paid 250HP if I did not like the 4*
    I think allowing unlimited refresh for 100 hp could be very profitable for them.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Well mine has peg blue. Unfortunately mine is 3/3/5 if I get her yellow for 900 pvp I'll probably save 120 cp and buy out the vault on its last day to champ her and use the blue for her first level.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Mine had a medusa_icon.pngredflag.png which I got in the first 10 pack! Bought another 10 to try and get the LT but no such luck. Will not be buying any more. Need to save the HP.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    blueflag.pngicon_mrfantastic.pngicon_e_sad.gif

I wish we have any information regarding his buff icon_razz.gif
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I've got a icon_venom.pnggreenflag.png , so not really interested.

Getting a bad or unusable 4* in these vaults means a very easy choice for players to skip them completely, especially with a no single-pull option. That can't be what the developers or publishers want.

With these limited vaults, I think they would see much greater engagement if they offered unlimited+free refreshes until the vault has been pulled from for the first time. Picking your 4* in a random vault or picking your colour in a featured 4* vault is going to make players give a bit more thought on if they are going to part with their precious HP.

Maybe the servers would die under the stress of players re-rolling for a useful vault...