Characters that deserve a variant

Options
themoneymaker
themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hello all,

I understand that many people take the position that we have enough characters as of now, especially in the 3 star pool, however I believe that some characters lack variants in relation to their impact upon the marvel universe and thus are under-represented in the game.
For example, I think that clint Barton is the most recognisable and iconic hawkeye and yet the highest rating he receives is 2 stars whereas, there is a 4 star Kate bishop and 3 star bullseye.

Who would you guys like to see get another variant if anyone at all?

(Btw this thread isn't a complaint about the game but is intended to spark conversation and thought icon_e_smile.gif )

I know this is somewhat like the characters you would like to see in the future thread but I felt this was more specific and needed its own thread.

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd prefer some new characters (seriously, there's a lot of unused fan favourites), but if we're talking variants only... There are some that I'd like to see in the game:
    - Thor (either Unworthy/Odinson as 4* or the All-Father as 5*)
    - Hawkeye (Clint Barton) - 4* or 5*, MCU version?
    - Hank Pym - as a classic 5* Ant-man variant or one of his other superhero personae (well, that would be technically a new character)
    - Iron Fist (classic 80s get-up or the white costume) - 4*, might be tied to the premiere of the Netflix show
    - Doctor Doom (Infamous Iron Man 4* or God Emperor Doom 5*)
    - Loki (Kid Loki or FemLoki/Goddess of Lies) - 4*
    - Ghost Rider - maybe Robbie Reyes as a 4*/3*?
    - X-23 (Laura Kinney) - 3*, from before she became the new Wolverine
    - Iceman (Classic) - 5*, the older version of Bobby that doesn't look like a creepy snowman
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My suggestions:

- 5* Thor (maybe King of Asgard?). Since the most of the Avengers have their 5* variants that would only be consistent.

- 4* Magneto. The arch villain of the X-Men universe deserves a 4* variant.

- 4* Black Panther (maybe King T'Challa?)

- 4* Black Widow. She lacks a 4* variant. icon_e_wink.gif

- 4* Iron Fist (Danny Rand)
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Yeah I agree that iron fist , black panther and magneto should in my opinion all get another variant. I think Loki and doom deserve one too tbh, Loki's a god and a major villain in the marvel universe and he's got one strange looking 3 star version lol, wouldn't mind seeing a mcu version of Loki with those Ice powers.

Also in regards to femloki, I don't wanna be "that guy" but I think we have enough female variants rn, I'd rather see some female characters that are unique.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    X-23 (Original or some other pre-All New Wolverine costume)
    Jean Grey ("Classic" as in same time frame as Cyclops Classic)
    Psylocke (Original, a true telepath with the Armor she wore possibly a damage reducing passive of some kind)
    Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch), you could also include the deRider'ed Blaze from the 90's
    Upgrade Iron Man 35 to 2 Star and change the 1 star to Model 1
    Thor (Beta Ray Bill or unworthy)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet an OML cover that we have another Thor (well deserved) sometime between now and November 3rd, when Ragnarok releases. As for other variants I'd like to see?

4* Peter Parker - Original Ultimate, Spider-Armor mark 1, or maybe a movie version
    4* Hulk - the real Hulk (maybe a grey McFarlane cover), and this time make him good
    Thing - Ben don't get enough love
    Magneto - Use his costume from when he ran Xavier's school & New Mutants
    Nova - Do an original/classic cover
    Colossus - Original from when he first joined the X-Men
    She-Hulk - Fantastic Four (use a John Byrne cover - there's a lot; he liked drawing her)
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    She-Hulk - Fantastic Four (use a John Byrne cover - there's a lot; he liked drawing her)
    He did draw two of her series, a bit of FF and several Avengers titles so he had plenty of opportunities to draw her
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The good thing is that a couple of these guys that have perfect variants are currently in a lower tier.

Sentry has a Void variant.
    Psylocke has an Uncanny XForce variant.
    Mr. F has a Maker variant.

Rich Rider has a huge following too, would love to see him in the 5star range since he's back in comics now and a power level above Sam.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doctor Doom, Magneto and Juggernaut. Before anyone else.

Storm is a great mention as well. But we'll probably get 3 Wolverine variants before any of the mentioned.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Storm? Really? We already have three. I'm good on Storms.

I could get behind Juggernaut, Doom, Black Panther, and maybe Iron Fist.

And UGH PLEASE MAKE A VENOM THAT ISN'T AWFUL.

Other than that new characters plzkthx.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Oh yeah completely forgot about juggs down in 1 star, guess that proves he deserves a new character. Maybe unstoppable colossus can satisfy the need for both a new colossus and juggs as a 4 or 5 star.

Also I know we have enough spidey characters but I want a classic doc ock with a fresh bowl cut
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd like a complete set of the time displaced x-men. Cyclops has enough versions, but a teen beast and an angel would be most welcome.
  • Lilmaveric_15
    Lilmaveric_15 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I would really like to see a Mr. Fixit or Grey Hulk variant.
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Id persoanlly like to see them draw from the cast of literally thousands of characters rather than just pumping out more versions of peeps they already have...seriously how many iron thor hulk cap erines do we need?
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd like to see a better version of doc oct, juggs, mags, ares (I mean god of war is a 2*), or Loki because he's pretty soft for the god of mischief. That's if we are talking variants though
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Id persoanlly like to see them draw from the cast of literally thousands of characters rather than just pumping out more versions of peeps they already have...seriously how many iron thor hulk cap erines do we need?
    Yeah, we know you feel that way. There have been dozens of threads about how we all hate more variants. This thread has brought up some interesting ideas though, and I can't say I'd complain about most of them.
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options

It's rumored that they have to get the go ahead by rights to create a character with a marvel name on it. Could be true. Could also be true that they are just tunnel minded and have no idea what characters there are
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd like to see a Hulk (Bruce Banner) that is something else instead of just vanilla Hulk. Like, Gladiator Hulk or WWHulk, or Maestro, or Mr. Fixit. Also, Human Torch needs to get into the 4* tier so he's playable with the rest of the team. X-Force Psylocke seems like another fair inclusion. Superior Spider-Man (Otto Octavius) would be a nice variant for two different characters.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You know what might solve a lot of the variant arguments on this board and allow MPQ to keep up with the constant “All New, All Different” #1 re-launches that Marvel puts out every year?

Skins. Same character, same powers just a variant skin, cover and artwork for the character at that particular rarity. Wish your *Hulk was Mr. Fixit or Doc Ock in his classic Bowl Cut haircut/unflattering tights or the WWII vet, cigar smoking Nick Fury? Just have them an individual prizes in regular events or maybe mix them in Elite tokens. They would be easier for the devs to make then a whole new power set that needs testing and would offset the constant new character releases that dilutes the pool when you’re trying to get in and build a 4* roster. And depending on the variant skin, a lot of players wouldn’t mind competing to have them, if only for personal aesthetics. Heck, make them prizes in the Lightening Rounds (but revamp the Lightening Rounds first for more character centerpieces.)

Along these lines, they could do something that WWE SuperCard implemented last year and let you use the same artwork from a character in one rarity for that same character in another rarity. Think the Black Suit Spidey is overrated? Swap in the classic red & blue 1* version on that 5*. Still in the 2* realm but you love the Mohawk look from that single 3* Storm cover you have? Swap that onto your champ 2* storm for maximum enjoyment until you get to the 3* range. That wouldn’t even take new art resources to make.

Skins wouldn’t solve all the problems (like a playable version of Venom) but would it freshen up the game a bit (literally a new coat of digital paint) and would increase the odds of obscure but beloved version or costume of the character you personally like to get in the game without denying a new character getting in.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Tatercat wrote:
    You know what might solve a lot of the variant arguments on this board and allow MPQ to keep up with the constant “All New, All Different” #1 re-launches that Marvel puts out every year?

Skins. Same character, same powers just a variant skin, cover and artwork for the character at that particular rarity. Wish your *Hulk was Mr. Fixit or Doc Ock in his classic Bowl Cut haircut/unflattering tights or the WWII vet, cigar smoking Nick Fury? Just have them an individual prizes in regular events or maybe mix them in Elite tokens. They would be easier for the devs to make then a whole new power set that needs testing and would offset the constant new character releases that dilutes the pool when you’re trying to get in and build a 4* roster. And depending on the variant skin, a lot of players wouldn’t mind competing to have them, if only for personal aesthetics. Heck, make them prizes in the Lightening Rounds (but revamp the Lightening Rounds first for more character centerpieces.)

Along these lines, they could do something that WWE SuperCard implemented last year and let you use the same artwork from a character in one rarity for that same character in another rarity. Think the Black Suit Spidey is overrated? Swap in the classic red & blue 1* version on that 5*. Still in the 2* realm but you love the Mohawk look from that single 3* Storm cover you have? Swap that onto your champ 2* storm for maximum enjoyment until you get to the 3* range. That wouldn’t even take new art resources to make.

Skins wouldn’t solve all the problems (like a playable version of Venom) but would it freshen up the game a bit (literally a new coat of digital paint) and would increase the odds of obscure but beloved version or costume of the character you personally like to get in the game without denying a new character getting in.

The character costumes thing sounds great, but like you said in the last paragraph probably wouldn't solve much for making favourite characters more playable, I think that costumes may add the aesthetic appeal that some people are looking for, but I think if people want variants they probably want them for new ways to play those characters or to make a character more relevant in game.

Great response though, thank you.
  • escart85
    escart85 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm all for :

Robbie Reyes - maybe as a 3* since he's the less experienced Ghost Rider
    Dr. Doom (Infamous Iron Man) - because we need another Doom and this one's bad ****
    Thor (Unworthy) as a 4*
    Hank Pym 5* - so good icon_e_smile.gif
    Iron Fist 4* - since we have a 3* and 4* Luke Cage

EDIT:

PS. And Spider-man 3* because you know...