What is your go-to PVE team?

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
When you're staring at the hardest sub node for a fifth or sixth clear and scaling is giving you a hard difficulty rating, it's time to bring in the A-team. The team that plays above its pay grade and can take down opponents who are 50-100 levels higher than them.

Who gets the call? What's their strategy? Here's mine:

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png 5/5/3
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.png 3/5/5
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironfist.png 3/5/5

This team is pretty straightforward - do lots of damage and keep the board clear of enemy special tiles. XFW is the big hitter with his black. His green is there to help shake up the board and provide support damage. Iron Fist keeps XFW going with his black-generating purple. If the board is low on the enemy's strongest color, I'll sit on XFW's black and pummel my foes with Fist's cheap purple at 4.2k damage per hit. Magneto holds the theme with his blue nuke; his red helps keep the board shaking and provides more support damage. If things aren't going as quickly as I like yellow is there to provide XFW with some health or I can use it to generate some quick defense with Magneto, but it's rarely needed.

This team works against goons, Dark Avengers, or anyone else I throw them at. They're my go-to team.

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One team I like running every now and then when my scaling allows

For goons only node, IF(3/5/5)+Gamora(3/5/5)+Squirrel girl(3/5/5). If Gamora has the highest level, she should tank 4 colors. Collect black for Gamora. Collect green for SG. Drop Bad Reputation when you have 12 black ap and a decent amount of yellow tiles on the board. Drop Furry friends when possible and watch the enemy team dissolved. Basically, multiple-dip Gamora's strike tiles with Fist's passive and SG's green.

Other options instead of SG (but not really as devastating as SG), Cage(3/5/5) also works. Keep his yellow at 3 since you want to leave yellow tiles on the board. Switch to spam his black after firing Bad Reputation. Mohawk also works. Her green can help collect the ap and some cascade potential from her yellow.

Anther option if Gamora is not your front runner is Groot. His tiles is as beefy, but much slower.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pick the combo with the best synergy from the boosted 4*. If im40, switch or fist will add speed to that combo via acceleration add them.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,114 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pick the combo with the best synergy from the boosted 4*. If im40, switch or fist will add speed to that combo via acceleration add them.
    If you have a boosted 4-star that's worthwhile, that's the right advice. My boosted Wasp at 4/1/1 isn't exactly tearing things up in the latest event. Fortunately, boosted Jean Grey is! icon_e_smile.gif
    Dormammu wrote:
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png 5/5/3
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.png 3/5/5
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironfist.png 3/5/5
    Sub in 4-star Cyclops for Magneto, and you've got one of my favorites in PvE and PvP. Some other good ones:

Kingpin, Iron Fist, and Scarlet Witch. Ran into this one in a Simulator node, and was really surprised how well they worked together.
    Dr Strange, Iron Fist, Daken. Nothing but goons in the node? This 3-star team will kill them super fast.

And the true "Wait, what?!?" team that I enjoy playing:
    X23, Daken, Mr Fantastic - All true healing, plenty of strike tiles to cheapen X23's purple, decent stun with Mr F. Granted, if I had a yellow cover for Old Man Logan (mine is currently sitting at 3/0/0), Mr F would be a bench warmer. Since I don't, he's on the front lines. I've got Mr F Champed...so I may as well use him!
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 379 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well mine has started to be: boosted 4*, boosted 4*/3*, Peggy Carter.

Peggy slows them down considerably, then the others pound as necessary.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Early easy nodes. OML, IF and strange 3*. If they are goon nodes its very quick and easy

Ill use the above team much higher too if they are goons especially.

Ive used 3 * Thanos with oml and another true healer a couple of times too but its not as quick.

On higher nodes I tend to use whoever is aoe boosted with im40 and one other.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like a team that makes lots of strike and attack tiles.

OML is great, of course.
    PHX is great, but I usually save her for PVP.
    Str3nge is fantastic, especially against goons, who perform numerous powers every turn.
    IF is great for the attack.
    AM is slow to power up, but then his yellow and purple powers become fantastic.
    GR can also be good, for his red and green powers (and black near the end of the match).

The nice thing about PVE is that you don't need to worry about defensive teams, so you can use weaker characters like IF and Str3nge, since they have some great attack advantages.

Also IW can do a lot of damage and make strikes as well. I like her with this latest revision!

Also Cho/SWitch are a fun team, since they always have CD tiles going off, releasing all sorts of new havoc on their opponents. Add in a KP or ProfX for further mayhem.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It used to be Patch, Daken and Loki. This team can conquer almost any of the hard PVE teams. Unfortunately since I champed some 4*'s, my scaling increased to the point that this team isn't as useful (makes me sad). Now I use IM40, 4hor and Rhulk. Even without Rhulk's AOE, 4hor can stun and one-shot most enemies. If I am against a heavy special tile user or there's goons, I'll use IM40/SL with JG and SW.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    low nodes get oml/x23/3thanos. everything else depends on boosts. in the absence of boosts, goon nodes would get oml/fist/3strange and character nodes would get some combination of peggy/rulk with im40, oml, starlord, hood or something. depending on the characters in the node.

edit: I still enjoy an occasional charlies angels team or a 4cyke/kk/mostorm match. those just usually aren't the fastest any more.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like other here, I've been having fun on low nodes with

Black Bolt
    3* strange
    3* thanos

If there are less than 2 goons I'll swap out 3trange for whatever 4* is boosted. It's awesome when a goon places a cd, gets killed just for trying and then his two buddies get killed by lady death just for being in the room.
  • sandalsnopants
    sandalsnopants Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If it's goons, I like to use Iron Fist, Magneto, and Patch.

If it's like Dark Avengers or something, I go with IM40, Black Widow, and Magneto.

All 3*
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Typically it's OML-3Strange-DoesntMatter for 2-3 goon nodes, regardless of strength.

For the toughest nodes, it ultimately depends on the boosted characters that week. Anyone decent that I have champed will likely get rotated in somewhere. For instance, with BabyJean boosted, I've been running her and Switch with Surfer. Similar happens during RHulk week. Boosted Iceman+Peggy w/ IM40 is as good as any 5* combo I can put out (minus the match damage of course)

PvE, as long as you're not shooting for 1st, is the only real good arena for spreading out the roster, so that's what I try to do.
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Lately I've been using Star Lord, OML, and Iceman. Not just for this past event where SL was boosted (and his redflag.png hit like a truck), but in general.
    • On the nodes with goons in them, SL ends up filling the AP pools rapidly.
    • Reducing Iceman's power costs is immensely helpful as well: for 12 bluetile.png instead of just freezing and hitting, he can freeze, hit for ~8k (maybe killing a weak target), then freeze someone else.
    • With a few of SL's yellowflag.png going off and a couple of matches, Iceman usually has the 10 greentile.png needed to finish mowing everyone down after SL lands a couple of cheap redflag.png punches.
    • purpleflag.png has options to either clear enemy tiles or drain enemy redtile.png / add bluetile.png to the board.

OML is there to get kicked in the face as much as possible when a countdown is about to pop or the enemy has a Headbutt ready to fire. If the fight drags on for some reason he can pop his blackflag.png and then usually end it next turn with a flurry of yellowflag.pngredflag.pngblackflag.png .
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Trivial Goon Nodes:
    drstrange_icon.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_humantorch.png

PvP/Tile Moving PvE Nodes:
    icon_peggycarter.png
    icon_iceman.png
    icon_ironman.png (IM40)

Can substitute icon_redhulk.png or icon_quake.png for Iceman given the situation. I'm waiting on a better red/green user to take Human Torch's place in trivial nodes but that's a lot of damage when the turn begins between his flame jet and Dr. Strange's blue.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For goon nodes at the moment it is Iron Fist, Medusa and Dr Strange...

Sure there isn't a lot to trigger the Medusa AP gain but the combination of Medusa Red and Iron Fist Attack Tile combined with Iron Fist for Green, in addition to Dr Strange passive makes any 2/3 Goon nodes irrelevant....

vs anything that moves tiles.... boosted 4* if I can blast it with acceleration from IM40 or with Peggy if I want to slow the whole thing down and minimise damage...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trivial Goon Nodes:
    drstrange_icon.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_humantorch.png

Sorry to be critical, but why would you use hood there? Hood will delay the goons from accumulating the ap they need to drop countdowns, which makes it take longer before Strange's passive does anything. Accelerating strange's blue? Seems like a deep plan for trivial nodes.
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Minion squad: 3* icon_blade.png 3* drstrange_icon.png 3* icon_ironfist.png
    Just to get blade's tiles to add to Fist's end of turn, Strange's passive on enemy trigger, Strange's start of turn blue, and your matches. You start doing 1-2K damage a turn pretty quick.

Otherwise: 3* icon_ironfist.png 3* icon_scarletwitch.png 5*:wolverine:
    Focus on black so Wolvie regen tanks everything, and then Switch feeds Fist until I can Iron punch everything over and over.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Trivial Goon Nodes:
    drstrange_icon.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_humantorch.png

Sorry to be critical, but why would you use hood there? Hood will delay the goons from accumulating the ap they need to drop countdowns, which makes it take longer before Strange's passive does anything. Accelerating strange's blue? Seems like a deep plan for trivial nodes.

That's a good question. I used to use IM40 there but figured I'd swap an active AP gainer for a for passive AP stealer. Hood does slow down the goons from firing off their powers, but it's also useful to keep flame jet going if they're feeding themselves green. I also like his minor board control when needed since I'm usually avoiding yellow for most trivial matches anyways. Certainly not a perfect team, I do sub in IM40 for Hood on longer wave nodes since it has a nice mix of stuns, passive damage and direct damage.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    277 5/4/4 Xpool
    274 5/5/3 Punisher Max
    272 5/5/3 Carol Danvers

Full rainbow coverage. Carol and Punisher produce strike tiles. Punisher passive buffs them. XPool purple makes countdowns which don't always get matched. When the tiles expire, Carol buffs them AGAIN. After a few turns, you're easily doing 5* match damage. Most nodes don't stand a chance.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Melac wrote:
    Minion squad: 3* icon_blade.png 3* drstrange_icon.png 3* icon_ironfist.png
    Just to get blade's tiles to add to Fist's end of turn, Strange's passive on enemy trigger, Strange's start of turn blue, and your matches. You start doing 1-2K damage a turn pretty quick.

Otherwise: 3* icon_ironfist.png 3* icon_scarletwitch.png 5*:wolverine:
    Focus on black so Wolvie regen tanks everything, and then Switch feeds Fist until I can Iron punch everything over and over.

Similar to the first - same first two but looping in icon_blackbolt.png as the 3rd wheel - high level match damage and that glorious black passive for either jump starting my blue/purple attack or extra damage.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_jeangrey.png
    icon_peggycarter.png
    icon_ironman.png (Model 40)

Acceleration, tile removal, stuns, damage out the wazoo. Can wreck anything even unboosted.