edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
What abilities does she have?
Is there a thread

Comments

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    162557.png

When a Dwarf or Vehicle you control enters the battlefield, Energize 2. Overload 1: Fetch the next Dwarf or Vehicle in your library. While this creature is on the battlefield, each Dwarf or Vehicle you control gets +3/+3.

She's'a 6/6 (after her own buff) for 26 mana
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks a lot
  • SpaceDuck
    SpaceDuck Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    I think I can see what the developers were going for, but 26 is WAY over costed.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree. It's way overcost. I would only use it if it's 16 or less.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If only it couldn't fetch itself like tazri, between it, madcap experimenr and the card itself you could have 3 skysovereigns in your deck
  • SpaceDuck
    SpaceDuck Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Astralwind wrote:
    I agree. It's way overcost. I would only use it if it's 16 or less.

Yeah, that's about right..I might have even said less since you would need to put in card draw to cycle aggressively to dig for her.

The +3/+3 bonus really lets you mess with the mana curve of cheap minions too. Visionary Augmenter being a 7/6 for 6, a ton of cheap 7+ power creatures with haste or defender etc.

At 26 you're looking at 5-6 turns of no action just to charge her up (without bad luck). By that point Koth, Kiora or Nahiri could have already won.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I think the developers or designers are thinking too highly of overload. Imagine casting this card and it can easily be removed by a "Reave Soul".
    Overload 1 to fetch a dwarf or vehicle into our hands is kind of weak.
    If it's putting it into directly into battlefield, it would feel more like a mythic card.
    Great power comes with great cost.
    Definitely going to skip this card. Dwarves and vehicles synergies in this game ain't that fantastic.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Astralwind wrote:
    I think the developers or designers are thinking too highly of overload. Imagine casting this card and it can easily be removed by a "Reave Soul".
    Overload 1 to fetch a dwarf or vehicle into our hands is kind of weak.
    If it's putting it into directly into battlefield, it would feel more like a mythic card.

She's actually minimum 6/6 since she'll buff herself there.

I do agree she's overcosted by far. One tweak that might make her more arguable worth it is if she partially charged fetch cards.

Straight onto the battlefield is probably too much for Overload 1. (Overload 2 or 3 straight onto the battlefield maybe).
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You can find info on every card and almost every planeswalker here: http://beta.mtgpq.info

Octal9's site (^^) is so incredibly helpful
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I avoid any card that has the word Energize or Fabricate on it. Sad shame.
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The Mirrorwing of KLD
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Highest mana cost card in the entire game in colors that aren't well known for their ramping or for playing slow. Not worth changing Arlinn into a vehicle deck to try to make this work.

Edit: second highest cost. Two less than Kozilek with nowhere near his power.
  • AettThorn
    AettThorn Posts: 125
    Options
    Cheaper to Deploy the Gatewatch her, and then you get a bonus two other creatures as well.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here's the logic for her cost - I know it looks huge and crazy, but there's a few things to consider.

1- Tutor-like draws will become rarer and rarer due to various factors, one of them being that you can easily create a 2-creature deck with a tutor-like draw and just guarantee creatures. While we still want to potentially use these abilities, their cost has to be higher since the benefit they provide is very high.

2- Drawing and fetching cards in Red is expensive. Red's focus is on aggression and the logic being that refilling your hand (at least with Red spell and effects) is expensive in itself.

3- Overload 1 is incredibly cheap and VERY easy to fulfill. Combining that with Energize 2 whenever a Vehicle or a Dwarf enters the battlefield means you'll be fetching often and can tailor your deck to hit specific targets.

Nevertheless, we will monitor the situation and see how she plays out further. In internal tests she was performing pretty well, but these are only internal tests and real-world testing also gives us a much better outlook of the cards.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's the logic for her cost - I know it looks huge and crazy, but there's a few things to consider.

1- Tutor-like draws will become rarer and rarer due to various factors, one of them being that you can easily create a 2-creature deck with a tutor-like draw and just guarantee creatures. While we still want to potentially use these abilities, their cost has to be higher since the benefit they provide is very high.

2- Drawing and fetching cards in Red is expensive. Red's focus is on aggression and the logic being that refilling your hand (at least with Red spell and effects) is expensive in itself.

3- Overload 1 is incredibly cheap and VERY easy to fulfill. Combining that with Energize 2 whenever a Vehicle or a Dwarf enters the battlefield means you'll be fetching often and can tailor your deck to hit specific targets.

Nevertheless, we will monitor the situation and see how she plays out further. In internal tests she was performing pretty well, but these are only internal tests and real-world testing also gives us a much better outlook of the cards.

Thanks for the explanation. It's always nice to know the devs' reasoning behind a card, even if you don't fully agree with it.

Something that would be useful would be to produce short videos for YouTube showing these exclusive cards in action. You guys would probably sell more if the community saw the usefulness first-hand.

While I don't doubt that there is a way to make her viable, it would really help to see her performing "pretty well."
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    While I don't doubt that there is a way to make her viable, it would really help to see her performing "pretty well."
    The problem here is that selling a card that only performs "pretty well" is not a good idea. There are just better, more efficient ways to win than building a deck that hinges on a 26 mana creature that has no immediate effect on the battlefield. At most, the turn you play her you increase your attack power for that turn by 6. Fetching more creatures isn't that great of a thing either considering you will probably draw about 4 cards while trying to cast Depala in the first place. Plus, you still have to cast the cards that are fetched. Lastly, we come to the biggest issue of all, fetch. The game slows to a crawl every time something is fetched. I guess her best use would be to put her in decks you don't play and hope the AI crashes other players by fetching with her often.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Although I appreciate the insight, my suspicion is that their won't be much "real-world testing" done until she is no longer exclusive... and then maybe still not.

If you want her to be a 26 cost creature she needs to be in line with other similarly costed mythics. And honestly she isn't even as good as Odric at 24 mana. Maybe she is up there with world breaker? I am sure a great deck could be formed around here, but I suspect it also has much better cards that make her good. ie deploy, sovereign skyship, etc
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    The problem here is that selling a card that only performs "pretty well" is not a good idea.

Believe me, I know. I was just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The reason why the paper version of Dipala is good is because you can get it out early and ensure that your deck functions the way you want it to. She functions as a utility creature, helping you get the cards that make your deck run smoothly. This version is simply going to clog up your hand and waste a lot of turns, probably getting you half killed in the process.

I feel like this was designed to compete with Olivia, Mobilized for War but Dipala is far from it. The big difference with Olivia is that she works well with ANY creature, not just vampires, and not to mention Madness cards. She hits the table with impact and requires immediate removal or its gonna be game. Dipala is super clunky and probably helps your opponent win more then you.

If she cost way less, maybe in the 10-15 range, she might see play. MIGHT.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Depala is more comparable with the Geier Reach Bandit Mythic thats $30, can't remember his name.