Which 4* character would you improve?

Options
mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
I could only think of three characters that need major improvement. Let me know of others, and I'll add them to the poll.. then I'll let you know which characters received how many votes, in case the polls get reset. And... go!!!

*There were 3 votes for Mr F.

*1 vote for Bl4de!! Respond to the thread if you have further votes for him or other characters not mentioned, and I'll tally it up here.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think Spidergwen is decent, her only problem is that she doesn't heal herself. Her yellow can do a good amount of healing at 5 covers. Its still useful to accelerate her red, which is a pretty good nuke.

I think Mr Fantastic, Wasp, and Elektra could use some minor changes to make them more useful. I think Venom needs a rework.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I could only think of three characters that need major improvement. Let me know of others...
    Psylocke
    3Punisher
    Electra
    4Venom
    Rags
    Wasp
    3Spidey

Those are just off the top of my head...
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Elektra, even though she is not very useful she has its use cases.
    CapFalcon the same. I think that if he would create his shields cheaper he would be much better (and then buff with blue, and add the red punch, but without the need to get 9 yellow AP first, this number needs to be smaller, 6 max).

Spider Gwen is not thaaaat bad, her problem is that she just have two useful powers. Yellow needs to heal her and create more spider tiles.

Wasp is for me plain terrible. She looked meh on paper, but after using her a bit, we discovered her blue is not as good as it seemed, and her yellow is almost useless (specially compared to other strengthening powers). Her black is decent, but that's it. She is terrible.

Reed is also not very good, buuuuut at least he works in teams with chars that produce a lot of special tiles. He works with Carnage, and he also works quite well with OML+PH.

Venom. His yellow is great. That's it, the end, his other powers are absolutely horrible. Why is he not buffing your attack tiles! it would make sense! why buff shield????? A symbiote????

So for me the buffing order would be Venom, Wasp, Reed (I said Venom first because Wasp is quite recent so I am assuming Devs wont want to buff someone created so recently).
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I picked Elektra - she's not as bad as Eddie or Reed but she's the easiest fix. Make her purple create a strike if there are none to steal, and maybe allow her red trap to be placed instead of random. Boom, decent character.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I´ve voted for Wasp since her power kit looks kind of interesting but the execution is poor.

Here are my guesses for a makeover:

yellowflag.png Tactical Intuition
    This one needs a huge buff! When you see that 4* Cap Marvel improves friendly special tiles by 427 for 5(!) AP, Wasp´s 254 is simply ridiculous!

blueflag.png That Buzzing Sound
    That´s a decent passive. But it´s difficult to get it going since you need at least 9 blue AP. Reduce the requirement to 7 blue AP and the power will be much more useful!

blackflag.png Wasp Sting
    The damage of that ability is way to low for a 4* character. Add at least 2k damage then it´s appropriate for the AP cost.
    And please remove the pointless blue AP drain (or change the AP color) which makes it almost impossible to trigger her passive!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Spider Gwen is not thaaaat bad, her problem is that she just have two useful powers. Yellow needs to heal her and create more spider tiles.

Venom. His yellow is great. That's it, the end, his other powers are absolutely horrible. Why is he not buffing your attack tiles! it would make sense! why buff shield????? A symbiote????

Gwen's yellow is worse than Beast's. It is that bad, but your solution is sensible.

Venom's green is great when plenty of tiles are in play. It needs to do the tile destruction no matter how many special tiles are in play. His passive needs to be a random stun; that when enemy abilities are fired on Venom, the symbiote lashes out and stuns a random enemy teammate one turn.

Seriously, though. If Venom got a scaled up Hulk Clap that reduced in cost when enemy ability tiles were present, he'd be much more functional.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Falcap just needs his red to cost loss, or have its price be reducible like how the damage is variable. Maybe find a way to bring his 3* redwing passive up too, since special tile removal is all the rage now.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:
    This one needs a huge buff! When you see that 4* Cap Marvel improves friendly special tiles by 427 for 5(!) AP, Wasp´s 254 is simply ridiculous!
    Carol can improve only up to 3 tiles at a time, Janet will buff ALL your strike and protect tiles. In a situation where you have a lot of cheap but weak specials (Daken, 2* Bullseye, PX, Blade...) Tactical Intuition might give you far greater total improvement. Carol's yellow has one great advantage though: it is a passive, so the buff actually costs you nothing! This one just needs to have its cost reduced to 5-6 AP (so you could really use it in a tactical way) and it would be great - still situational, but worth building your team around it.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What wasp needs is a new ally with the passive power "Yellow powers cost 1/2 as much AP"

I voted Mr. F. He needs it the most, over Wasp, if only because I have him maxed covered and I'm not using him as is.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I voted Mr Fantastic, just because he’s been the longest “bottom of the barrel” of the 4* tier and could use some love finally. But I would be very happy with a Wasp revamp as I’ve always liked the character (and she’s next on my list to champion after the artist formerly known as Bag Lady.)
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mr F > Venom > Wasp

That would be my order of getting them fixed. I do feel like Venom would take the least to make usable (mess with his black and buff his green damage) and Wasp was made with some good ideas in mind but don't really work too well in practice. Mr F would take some nuance, but he's entirely too niche in his current state.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, I'm the only one who would improve Spider Gwen icon_cool.gif

I guess people feel there are others that need more improvement.

I like SG's red and purple, but that yellow is absolutely useless. It needs to be cheaper, heal more (including herself) and produce more web tiles.
  • DesertTortoise
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:

I like SG's red and purple, but that yellow is absolutely useless. It needs to be cheaper, heal more (including herself) and produce more web tiles.

I think that's the thing, though, Spider-Gwen is decent in her current form since her red/purple are useful, even bordering on very strong with the right team. I think she's a bit of a low priority for most since she's really just a small adjustment from her yellow away from being a strong character. Reed, Venom and Wasp are bad even when boosted.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:

I think that's the thing, though, Spider-Gwen is decent in her current form since her red/purple are useful, even bordering on very strong with the right team. I think she's a bit of a low priority for most since she's really just a small adjustment from her yellow away from being a strong character. Reed, Venom and Wasp are bad even when boosted.

And she's practically Hulkbuster when compared to Reed & Venom. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:
    I´ve voted for Wasp since her power kit looks kind of interesting but the execution is poor.

Here are my guesses for a makeover:

blueflag.png That Buzzing Sound
    That´s a decent passive. But it´s difficult to get it going since you need at least 9 blue AP. Reduce the requirement to 7 blue AP and the power will be much more useful!

blackflag.png Wasp Sting
    The damage of that ability is way to low for a 4* character. Add at least 2k damage then it´s appropriate for the AP cost.
    And please remove the pointless blue AP drain (or change the AP color) which makes it almost impossible to trigger her passive!

Yellow would be better as passive. They seem to love CD tiles so how about a 2 turn CD tile that flips them when it goes off? Then you can actually use the other yellow spacial tile generating characters.

Blue... 7ap would more often than not be the same as getting 9ap since it's still 3 regular matches. 6ap would be better, that's 2 matches.

Black I agree shouldn't have the AP drain. It's not strong enough to need a drawback.
  • DesertTortoise
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:

Yellow would be better as passive. They seem to love CD tiles so how about a 2 turn CD tile that flips them when it goes off? Then you can actually use the other yellow spacial tile generating characters.

I thought it'd be very cool if her yellow was a countdown tile that would convert all of your friendly protect tiles into strike tiles at the beginning of the turn and revert all of your strike tiles to protect tiles at the end. I wonder the best way of implementing this but man, that'd be a really fun power.
  • Saeva
    Saeva Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I voted for Mr. Fantastic but it was a close decision between him and Wasp. Part of the problem is they share colors, are the only two 4s in that color combo, and are 2 of 4 characters in the entire game with that combo (Black Panther and The Hood being the other two). Neither of them being viable is a problem for synergy and means that, fix wise, it'd make sense one of the two are buffed next.

In comparison, Spider-Gwen is also 1 of 4, but she's in a grouping with Medusa (great), Star-Lord (great), and Miles (good).

With Elektra, there's eight in the color combination and you always have the Deadpools available if you need red/purple/black to round out a team.

Now that they've introduced Captain Marvel she's picked up the slack from X-Force Wolverine and Venom, so that's not as much of an issue.

Then there's FalCap, whose color combo has the most options yet. There's 12, including 8 in the 3 or 4 tier, most of which are highly sought after. Even if he was buffed he still probably wouldn't see much use and much of his perceived uselessness most likely comes from his color comparable competition anyway. He's not really all that weak, but in a tier/color combo with Peggy, 4Thor, and 4Cyclops, or even IM40 and 3Magneto a tier below, he does come out looking weak by comparison. I think with a different color combo he'd probably not even by on this list.

Wasp and Fantastic being buffed would easily have the most gain for the players and, of the two, Fantastic has needed a buff longer so there's that. That said, either would be, well, fantastic.

[Edited a bit for wording/SPAG.]
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    List as I am writing this:

Elektra
    Falcap
    Mr. F
    Spider Gwen
    Venom
    Wasp

Good list. I'd like to see all of them improved, but I think Mr. Fantastic needs it most desperately.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:

I thought it'd be very cool if her yellow was a countdown tile that would convert all of your friendly protect tiles into strike tiles at the beginning of the turn and revert all of your strike tiles to protect tiles at the end. I wonder the best way of implementing this but man, that'd be a really fun power.

That does sound fun. It would breath a little life into 2&3 star Captain Marvel, too. Not that countering Wasp is a huge niche, but it's something.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Black Duke wrote:

That's a great idea! Wouldn't need a CD tile though, maybe an eye of agamotto type tile