Aetherworks Marvel - Opponent Mana Gain [Devs Aware - Info Needed]

Options
Lagartha
Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
On a battle in the second node of Fateful Showdown, I had a glitch where all of my mana matches actually filled the opponents cards with mana for one turn. There was nothing on the board that I saw that would cause this. Am I completely oblivious to a creature or support that makes that happen? Anyone else experience this?

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any chance opponent had something like void winnower in play?
  • Lagartha
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Any chance opponent had something like void winnower in play?
    It was node 2, encounter 3. Torrential Gearhulk. The only creature out on his side was Padeem. I believe the supports Aetherworks Marvel and Metallurgic Summonings were on the board too.
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes, this happened to me too! I thought I was crazy and wasn't even going to report it, but if you think it happened too then maybe I am sane after all.

For me it wasn't just mana. My opponent (Torrential Gearhulk) also triggered overload effects that triggered off of energized gems in matches I made. This was particularly annoying in my case because it disabled my hexproof creature which let Torrential Gearhulk steal it, which cost me bonus objective ribbons.
  • Lagartha
    Options
    Delnai wrote:
    Yes, this happened to me too! I thought I was crazy and wasn't even going to report it, but if you think it happened too then maybe I am sane after all.

For me it wasn't just mana. My opponent (Torrential Gearhulk) also triggered overload effects that triggered off of energized gems in matches I made. This was particularly annoying in my case because it disabled my hexproof creature which let Torrential Gearhulk steal it, which cost me bonus objective ribbons.
    Awesome! (I mean... not awesome that it happened to you too.. my sympathies.) I didn't bother creating a ticket because I was starting to think that maybe I was just not paying enough attention and I was crazy.

Now that you described it, that's probably exactly what was happening to me. It was towards the end of the battle, so 90% of the board was energized. So Maybe he had Aetherworks out and when I got my crazy cascade, it triggered HIS overload then drew and filled his cards.
  • tinyau
    tinyau Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've encountered this problem too.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lagartha wrote:
    Now that you described it, that's probably exactly what was happening to me. It was towards the end of the battle, so 90% of the board was energized. So Maybe he had Aetherworks out and when I got my crazy cascade, it triggered HIS overload then drew and filled his cards.
    This happened to me too. I think Aetherworks Marvel is bugged.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yup. I've seen the same thing happen. I thought perhaps I was imagining it.

Apparently, I was not.
  • gulgoth
    gulgoth Posts: 73
    Options
    Aetherworks marvel is definitely bugged. I've noticed a multitude of issues anytime the ai played it.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just saw this in qb.

Very weird.
  • gulgoth
    Options
    In curious if the effect of aetherworks marvel is interrupting things when it's energy creation effect is triggered.

I had a couple very large cascades that destroyed a few opponent fabrication supports. Every time that happened i neither gained mana or loyalty but the board gained a bit of energy. Didn't pay attention to see if opponent gained the mana instead though.

Is it possible that since it's creating energy for opponent it thinks it's their turn and gives the mana and loyalty to them after energizing?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    It appears there are two bugs being talked about in this thread:
      1. Matches made when Aetherworks Marvel is on the battlefield cause the opponent to gain mana instead. 2. Matches made when Aetherworks Marvel is on the battlefield cause the opponent's Overload effects to trigger.

I don't currently see these exact bugs in the database, so would someone mind explaining these bugs to me in more detail? Once I have an understanding of how these issues are occurring, I can go ahead and create a bug report for the development team.

Thanks!
  • octal9
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    It appears there are two bugs being talked about in this thread:
      1. Matches made when Aetherworks Marvel is on the battlefield cause the opponent to gain mana instead. 2. Matches made when Aetherworks Marvel is on the battlefield cause the opponent's Overload effects to trigger.

I don't currently see these exact bugs in the database, so would someone mind explaining these bugs to me in more detail? Once I have an understanding of how these issues are occurring, I can go ahead and create a bug report for the development team.

Thanks!
    Hi Brigby!

First - I'd like to provide the card in question. Items 1 and 2 above are one and the same due to the card's mechanics. Here's the card in question:

162326.png

Aetherworks Marvel's Overload ability fetches (pulls into hand) a card and fills it with mana. If the card is bugged, then the issues discussed here are identical.

Unfortunately, the card is rather exclusive! It was just awarded to the top 25 players in platinum, and the top 5 in gold/silver. At max, there's about... maybe 70 players with it out in the wild. So it's very difficult for us to come across and test the bug consistently. It's also used in the event "Fateful Showdown" by the Torrential Gearhulk - the third battle of the second node in the event - this is where I personally saw the issue.

What appears to be happening is thus: on your turn, you make a match that contains energized gems. Suddenly, you notice that you're not gaining mana from your matches for whatever reason. When it happens, you can actually see the "mana gain" animation was going toward your opponent! To my knowledge there's only one card that causes your opponent to gain mana during your match phase of your turn (Archangel of Tithes edit: I was wrong - AAoT triggers during combat phase. Void Winnower happens during match phase.).

I cannot speak for the other reports in this thread, but for me, it was during a large cascade and it was hard to follow all the action happening - so I didn't notice what was happening until it was too late to replicate (and it cost me the match). I will keep an eye out again for it so that I can replicate but again - it's very rare to come across this card in PVP, currently.
  • Lagartha
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Exactly what Octal9 said in my case as well. It happened so fast and I was so caught off guard that it was hard to figure out what the glitch was.

After I noticed the bug and replayed the Torrential Gearhulk battle in Fateful Showdown, it is exactly how he described it.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    octal9 wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    -- Me Asking About Bug --
    -- Detailed Explanation of Bug --
    Thanks for the help! I've gone ahead and updated the database with a formal bug report of this issue.
  • Lagartha
    Options
    @Brigby I'm not sure if this will help, or make things more complicated, but here's an account from another player on the issue;

"I didn't run the game screen recorder, but aetherworks marvel was out, I matched one energy in a landfall, not sure what the cascade from it hit. The opponent went from 5 cards to 6 cards, (Mana going to their hand) one fully loaded up. Their turn they cast saheelis artistry (marvel fetches a spell).

Then later, I purposely hit an overload 3, while opponent had 5 cards in hand, but nothing happened.

So I'm guessing the glitch only happens on *exactly* overload 2s as the Marvel text says."

However, while I was playing the same battle, Aetherworks Marvel was on the board and I intentionally got an overload 2. One of my opponents four cards disappeared from his hand and I still received mana as would happen under normal circumstances.
  • gulgoth
    Options
    I only noticed the issue on big cascades. When i got big cascades, if they had marvel out i gained like no mana at all and they did. Whether it's related to popping fabricates and triggering the energize mechanic of marvel i don't know, because big cascades also popped fabricate gems triggering it to interrupt and energize the board.
  • octal9
    Options
    I can't trigger this at will, unfortunately. It only seems to happen with large cascades.

I do see it more often when casting a large gem conversion spell, like Seasons Past or Nissa's Renewal.
  • Caeman
    Caeman Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    When playing against Scrapheap Scrounger, I hit a cascade of ten gem matches... and it powered HIS cards. Understandably, I was pissed, as there's not a single creature or support that allows a complete steal of mana. After an aggravating loss I angrily asked my coalition partners what the hell happened, and I was informed that Aetherworks Marvel had that bug. So here I am.

It's bad enough that this game has a bad slow down with the new mechanics you guys are employing, but, COME ON! These matches are hard enough without the computer cheating.
  • octal9
    Options
    @Brigby I can confirm that AM is also causing other overloads to trigger. Tezzeret (Revolt Against the Consulate, 3rd node 3rd fight [colloquially, 3.3]) had both AM & Mechanized Production (image below) on the board. My match/cascade resulted in a Fetch/Mana gain for the opponent as well as reinforcing all their creatures. This cost me the match.

162227.png
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bumped as this is still the case. Please, either fix it beforenext event such as Revolt, or take away this card from boss decks. It is really frustrating when I clear the board with nice set of matches only to see that all cards in Tez deck gain full mana.