When does 4* Carol enter the token pool?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I dont see her in either the heroic or legendary token pool.

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Beginning of next season since her PvP event is this season. She fell at a pretty inopportune time to be added to tokens, unfortunately.
  • Vhailorx
    DuckyV wrote:
    Beginning of next season since her PvP event is this season. She fell at a pretty inopportune time to be added to tokens, unfortunately.

That's ****. She is the season ssim reward. She should be in the token pool. Is there amy real risk that putting her in the LT pool would reduce d3's income from her pvp tokens? Whaling a 4* from LTs is plenty expensive.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:

That's ****. She is the season ssim reward. She should be in the token pool. Is there amy real risk that putting her in the LT pool would reduce d3's income from her pvp tokens? Whaling a 4* from LTs is plenty expensive.

It's not ****, it's the way it's been since Legendary Tokens came into existence.

New characters enter the pool at the start of the season after their release cycle. A release cycle includes the Release PVE event, the Essential PVE event, and then the following Featured PVP event. Her release cycle ends with the end of Fight or Flight, and the next season after that is the Mind/Space season we'll see in about a month. It doesn't have anything to do with the PVP tokens, because they are gone before new characters join standard tokens, always. This case is no different. It's unfortunate that we'll have to wait so long, but that's about it. A month of not being in Legendary Tokens isn't going to kill anybody.
  • Vhailorx
    Disagree jhawk. It has everythibg to do with pvp tokens. By witholding characters from regular (i.e. stockpile-able heroic and legendary tokens) until after release demi/d3 create an artificial scarcity. The only way to whale her right away is to buy the pve vault or pvp tokens, even if you had 100k co stockpiled.

At least that was the theory back when the system was established and indivual character rates in LTs especially were much higher. I dont think it makes much sense any more. It seems to me that the dedicated pvp/pve tokens are now the best way (by far) to whale new characters quickly, since dilution in heroics and LTs now make either one a very bad way to whale any individual character. So the small group of players that do whale new releases will still spend in the same places. Even if they earn one or two extra carol covers from 'regular' at the same time.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Disagree jhawk. It has everythibg to do with pvp tokens. By witholding characters from regular (i.e. stockpile-able heroic and legendary tokens) until after release demi/d3 create an artificial scarcity. The only way to whale her right away is to buy the pve vault or pvp tokens, even if you had 100k co stockpiled.

Well, yes, because that's the business model. I thought you were implying that they had done something different this time to push PVP tokens, which is not the case.

That's like, what the whole freemium model is about. In MPQ's case, it's about artificial rarity, and letting people spend money to get around it. I'm not exactly sure what your complaint is in this situation.

Just like every other new character in the past year and a half, 4* Captain Marvel will enter tokens at the start of the season that starts following the end of her release cycle. Nothing new is happening with this release, better odds by spending HP buying PVP tokens before the character is even added to the pool purchasable with CP has been the case since CP was introduced to the game.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    I though they were added when their introduction vault ends (or the next release version: R119 in this case).

I doubt they'll wait until the next PvP season to move her into regular LT/CP draws.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I though they were added when their introduction vault ends (or the next release version: R119 in this case).

I doubt they'll wait until the next PvP season to move her into regular LT/CP draws.
    No, it's Always at the start of the following season for anything below five stars. Sometimes that means long wait times, but that's just the way it works.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

No, it's Always at the start of the following season for anything below five stars. Sometimes that means long wait times, but that's just the way it works.
    It only happens with my favorites (Spider Woman for one)
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I've never hoarded LT/CP before, but for a chance at more Carol, I'll make an exception.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:

LOL no one's whaling 4's at ALL.

if you want to see when the 4's are being covered pay attention to 5 releases.
  • Vhailorx
    To the extent that is true gurl, it suggests that there is even less risk in 4* (and 3*) releases into the regular tokens faster.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    LOL no one's whaling 4's at ALL.

Pay closer attention during the 4* release PvP, especially to some of the players at the top of the leaderboard. Especially for a character like Carol.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Non-event tokens such as Heroics are pretty much always updated at the beginning of the season. Token odds are totally defined on the server side, so they don't sync up to the client version releases at all.

Legendary tokens break this pattern some of the time because they're still experimenting with 5* character releases in some ways. Some get an event and a special token (with only 10% 5* odds, ew, do not want), while others go straight into Latest Legendary Tokens with just a press release and an in-game pop-up.
  • Vhailorx
    DayvBang wrote:
    Non-event tokens such as Heroics are pretty much always updated at the beginning of the season. Token odds are totally defined on the server side, so they don't sync up to the client version releases at all.

Legendary tokens break this pattern some of the time because they're still experimenting with 5* character releases in some ways. Some get an event and a special token (with only 10% 5* odds, ew, do not want), while others go straight into Latest Legendary Tokens with just a press release and an in-game pop-up.

BB was the last 5* who was released with just a press statement and a stealth add into LTs.

Each of the laat 3 5* releases has gotten a dedicated LT and special release event. I would not be surprised if that pattern continued.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

At least that was the theory back when the system was established and indivual character rates in LTs especially were much higher. I dont think it makes much sense any more. It seems to me that the dedicated pvp/pve tokens are now the best way (by far) to whale new characters quickly, since dilution in heroics and LTs now make either one a very bad way to whale any individual character. So the small group of players that do whale new releases will still spend in the same places. Even if they earn one or two extra carol covers from 'regular' at the same time.

You do realise you can use command points to get covers for colours you already have at 120. Most of them would have gotten top 10 from her pve release event and simply maxed her this way instead of the token method.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:

It's not ****, it's the way it's been since Legendary Tokens came into existence.

New characters enter the pool at the start of the season after their release cycle. A release cycle includes the Release PVE event, the Essential PVE event, and then the following Featured PVP event. Her release cycle ends with the end of Fight or Flight, and the next season after that is the Mind/Space season we'll see in about a month. It doesn't have anything to do with the PVP tokens, because they are gone before new characters join standard tokens, always. This case is no different. It's unfortunate that we'll have to wait so long, but that's about it. A month of not being in Legendary Tokens isn't going to kill anybody.

I'm gonna be that guy and say just because a thing is the way it's always been done doesn't mean that way isn't dumb.
  • Vhailorx
    Pongie wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

You do realise you can use command points to get covers for colours you already have at 120. Most of them would have gotten top 10 from her pve release event and simply maxed her this way instead of the token method.

You think people whale 4*s with CP? The maximum covers you can get from a release is now 10 (5 from placement release pve, 3 from the pvp placement, and 2 prog rewards). But that number is only available to 2/1000 players. So even hardcore players are looking at 500 or more cp to buy out a character. That's crazy. Anyone who grinds that hard across 4 different events is dedicated to the game, and therefore knows that 5*s are the end game. How many such players give up 20-25 LTs just to buy out a single 4*?

I think those who whale 4*s do so with real cash. They get in buyclubs and use the HP to whale 4* vaults and tokens, and then use the cp to chase 5*s.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pongie wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

You think people whale 4*s with CP? The maximum covers you can get from a release is now 10 (5 from placement release pve, 3 from the pvp placement, and 2 prog rewards). But that number is only available to 2/1000 players. So even hardcore players are looking at 500 or more cp to buy out a character. That's crazy. Anyone who grinds that hard across 4 different events is dedicated to the game, and therefore knows that 5*s are the end game. How many such players give up 20-25 LTs just to buy out a single 4*?

I think those who whale 4*s do so with real cash. They get in buyclubs and use the HP to whale 4* vaults and tokens, and then use the cp to chase 5*s.

It's also a big reason why they never need to buy ISO, because they get all those extra covers from 40 packs and can convert those to ISO easily.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    My assumption is that 4* Captain Marvel will only be added to tokens at the start of the next season but it would be nice to get confirmation from a red name.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Here's an awesome new character that is good enough to shake the meta up a little bit! Now wait 3-and-a-half weeks before you have a chance at more covers!

Someone should have looked at the calendar for ten seconds and realized this was incredibly poor timing.