Just spent over 1,000 CP, still no usable 4*

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Well I just spent over 1,000 Command Points picking Classic LT's. Would you believe, still not a single usable 4*? My best builds are X-23 at 5/2/2, Teen Jean at 2/2/4, and Peggy at 4/2/2. The other 4* are well below that. I got a couple 5* covers, namely Steve, Surfer, Phoenix, and my first Goblin. The rest were lower-tier 4* that I haven't rostered such as Elektra, TA Hulk, Agent Venom, Drax, Carnage, Wasp, IW, Gwenpool, Miles, Sam, Bucky, and Venom Brock.

I feel disappointed.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel disappointed.
    Yeah, and the dilute is only growing worse.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I dunno, man. 1000 cp is 80 pulls. There are, what, 42 4's in the game right now, plus Howard and Dino that you can't pull? An even distribution would be about 2 covers each.

I'm sorry you didn't get usable 4's, but I can't say I'm surprised. It takes time, you gotta grind those covers.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I dunno, man. 1000 cp is 80 pulls. There are, what, 42 4's in the game right now, plus Howard and Dino that you can't pull? An even distribution would be about 2 covers each.

I'm sorry you didn't get usable 4's, but I can't say I'm surprised. It takes time, you gotta grind those covers.
    I thought it was only 50 pulls.
    Fixed the sentence for you: It takes money, you gotta buy those covers.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    How were your 4* before that? 1000 CP Classics = 50 pulls. With 42 (I think that's right, not positive) 4* to pull from and 9 5* you're looking at an average of 1 cover per character. I feel the disappointment with you. As someone sitting on 1000+ CP waiting for a big pull to get my first 4* champ this is good data.

Did you happen to record your full list of pulled covers?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    to make up that much time takes much more than 1000 cp. roster-building is a function of time/money. those who started early are obviously much farther along. to make up the difference, you need money and to outpace the vets in time spent in the game (i.e. each day - LRs, pvp, pve all at high level). then with enough effort and money, you might begin to catch up. you need much more money and/or effort to put a dent into things. 1K cp is 50 classic pulls. there are 42 4s. averaging just over 1 cover each. that doesn't move the needle much. patience padawan...
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I just spent over 1,000 Command Points picking Classic LT's. Would you believe, still not a single usable 4*? My best builds are X-23 at 5/2/2, Teen Jean at 2/2/4, and Peggy at 4/2/2. The other 4* are well below that. I got a couple 5* covers, namely Steve, Surfer, Phoenix, and my first Goblin. The rest were lower-tier 4* that I haven't rostered such as Elektra, TA Hulk, Agent Venom, Drax, Carnage, Wasp, IW, Gwenpool, Miles, Sam, Bucky, and Venom Brock.

I feel disappointed.
    You pulled 50 LT's, got at least 4 5* (12.5% pull rate, not bad), have a ton of 4* that you don't have rostered (you listed at least 12), and you are disappointed.

What was your goal in pulling the 50 LT's?

Do you have the HP to roster them? Did you have to sell any because you have 5 covers of that color already?

I'm just curious because the advice on here has always been not to pull your CP unless you are able to use the covers, such as rostering them or applying them, or champing them if you pull a bunch of dupes.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker

I feel disappointed.

Hey! You're in my alliance! Anyway, that definitely stinks, but you have 3 things in your favor:
    1. Not many 5-1-2 ish set ups. throwing away 4 stars stinks.

2. those 3 (x23, peggy,jean)are really good ones, i hear to have and level. I would rather have a 4-2-2 peggy than a 3-5-5 fantastic. I have all 4 stars and 2 of my fewest covered are my 2 cover jean and peggy. jealous.

3. No more reason to hoard! spend those tokens and CP as soon as you get to cover your 4s before that pool continues to get bigger and bigger! I spend all mine when 5* BW came out and i love opening legendaries.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    don't let rng decide, buy covers.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    My goal when opening LTs are to get covers I don't have at all, or don't have a lot of.
    I assume I have played a lot longer since I already have usable 4*s but to me, your haul was great; the most you can ask for. You seemed to have gotten 50 usable covers, which is rare when the longer you play.
    So unless you are purposefully not rostering those 4*s, which I wouldn't recommend, you shouldn't be that disappointed
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Slow and steady wins the race. You'll get what you want at some point, although that point may be days, weeks, months or years from now.
  • supbullcoc
    supbullcoc Posts: 77 Match Maker
    i rarely spend cp on tokens for this reason.

ex.
    currently have a miles and a Cool hulk cover in que, and i cant use them. but im also only 1 cover each from being able to champ them. and at 120CP to get the color that i need in order to champ them? well i have plenty of CP and ISO for that.

so for that reason, CP is best spent on buying the needed covers

PS
    I have 12 OML covers, and 6 of them have been purchased
    #gottagrind
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    dsds wrote:

I thought it was only 50 pulls.
    Fixed the sentence for you: It takes money, you gotta buy those covers.

It's definitely 80. 20 cp x 80 +/- magic number#hedidthemath = 1000 exactly...

Look, I said a number, you said a number, why waste our time talking about right and wrong. Let's just all come together and be groovy, baby.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    I would also point out that having even 1 of a 4* means you can PvE nodes that require that character where you couldn't before, raising your PvE scores and getting you more CP. You also get access to more DDQ4* matches.

Unless you're prepared to spend lots of money slow and steady is the answer. I'm at day 785 and have spent exactly $25 on this game ($20 in my first week to unlock a lot of cheap roster spots, $5 at a promotion last year on the Google Play Store). I never hoard any tokens (you may throw away a lot, but if you don't open you miss opportunities to get what you want;its the way of the RNG.). I have never bought a cover with CP. I sell 4* covers I can't use without worry because ISO is my limiting factor now. I set my goal for new character releases to be top 100 to get at least one cover (really, 2 covers vs one ain't going to make a huge difference, but 0->1 is huge).

Through that I have a roster of 111 characters with 17 champed 4*, an OML at 1/4/4 and a PHX at 4/4/4. I can easily hit 900 in PvP usually sans shield, maybe with one (usually Slice 5) and don't care about going higher. I can easily hit all progression in PvE. I always have a surplus of HP for new slots when I need them.

Don't underestimate having a breadth of characters and the value that provides, even if none are max'd. It opens up more opportunities for play that will then naturally accelerate your progress.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Blowing cps are for 5*s. Anything else is just the daily grind of this game of patience.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The issue is, the gap to 4 just gets wider consistently because every non RNG method is glacial (like 41 pve's till the next cover in progression, and the pvp covers are out of reach, and you can only fully cover a character with Cp with 1,200 CP, if you have 1 in each color of course to star with, but that 1200 you spend on 1 and eventually 3900 on 3 specific chars could be much better spent on a recent 5 pack, or during a 5 event to cover something that can demolish a 4)

The top players moved on to chasing 5's and the majority of casual players are still toying with 3's so it's a really rocky transition.

And random draws of 42 isn't exactly a huge step forward in progression. it just makes covering possible 4's cost more HP.

And the balance of them is still wacky and they still aren't useful until their 5th covers in a color.

like red hulks dangerous, when he's not turning 7 purple ap into 1 green, or destroying 3 tiles.

unfortunately I'd say while the 3 star tier has been sped up to months, (probably 7-8 if you're vigilant and save every cover and get lucky draws and get them in time for their ddqs)

but 4 star is still year +
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell wrote:

This.

I've spent 360 CP in the last month to max cover and champ two of my most wanted 4*s: XFW and Thoress. After the recent progression cover, and a bit of a luck in the associated Vault, my 4Pool is now at 5/2/4 as well, so I think I might even save up enough to finish him off too.

If you're sitting there needing 1 or 2 covers, don't rely on RNG to provide them.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Agent Venom gets hate on, but he's actually pretty good. Also Winter Soldier isn't bottom tier, Gwenpool either. TA Hulk is for sure not bottom tier.

Overall your pulls look good I'm not sure why you feel disappointed. With 4* progression covers supplementing, you'll fill out nicely over time.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not clear why you would spend that many CPS on tokens when you have so many 4* characters you don't have rostered. That's a huge chunk of covers that were going to be totally useless to you unless you have HPs to unlock 12 spots. I would not have pulled.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Personally at your stage i wouldnt be disappointed with what you pulled. Sure you waste some of them but they get sold for 1000 iso and you're still going to need the iso for levelling up sooner or later. You got some covers for the really good 4*s so enjoy it. The pulls are random so dont waste your 'energy' being disappointed in it. I spent 800+ CP and a few LTs during the Thanos introduction and i pulled about 50% 4s that i couldnt use to champ level so i sold them for iso to champ the ones i could. No biggie. In this game you're either iso or cover starved or both. Unless you plan to spend loads of $$$, just enjoy the ride as it comes.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    ammenell wrote:

I fully second this recommendation. If you are close to having a usable 4* but kept getting covers in a color that you already have 5 of, then it may be worth the investment of 120 cp to buy the missing colors. But the caveat is the character has to be someone useful, like a Peggy or Jean for example. You certainly don't want to champ a Mr. Fantastic at the expense of someone else. icon_lol.gif

Also, you should always keep an eye on the progression rewards in pve events. The rewards may include a 4* cover that you're missing.