In the Era of OBW (OPW, amirite), worth leveling C Storm?

Options
Cousin Simpson
Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
My Original Fishnets and Embarrassing Mask is maxed at 3/5/5, and I run with her and my 77 2* Wolvie (and Lil Thor as a third wheel when available), which is 90% of the time perfectly effective for almost all purposes (PVP and PVE alike -- I only run into trouble if the board is unkind and I'm facing goons, or monster AI cascades). But now that I have 50K in ISO and finished speccing my C Storm to 5/5/3, should I dump it into her to max her out, or save it for that 3* that I don't have max covers for? (5/1/0 Hulk, 2/1/1 Patch, 0/2/1 GSBW, and 3/0 Rags are the only 3*s that I own with more than 2 covers. And Patch is already capped out at L30.)

Comments

• C Storm is powered up a lot in PvE events and has a powerful blue attack. If you're doing well without her then I'd probably say save it until you need it for something else.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldnt bother. C. Storm is only really good when you have mn mags to feed her blue. Your obw/a. Wolvie covers both her colors as well, so i would look to build a tank to support them (ares/thor).
  • Give her ISO -after- they announce the Spidernerf. She has no real use now.
  • I wouldnt bother. C. Storm is only really good when you have mn mags to feed her blue. Your obw/a. Wolvie covers both her colors as well, so i would look to build a tank to support them (ares/thor).

Pretty much this. Ares is about the only 2* that makes me go ugh.

A note nn the thread title
    Obw is great and has her place but honestly she herself isnt OP as most people seem to believe it's just that she's a great support character who is very synergistic with strike tile generators.
  • If you are playing competitive you are now in the phase of choosing a 3* and leveling him/her. When thor and wolverine are nerfed, I sold both of them and dumped all my iso to puniSher. Then, a few pve events gave some covers as rewards and meanwhile I was lucky with rng and had a good spidey too. So I am still playing spidey/punisher/x in any PVE/PVP event. In long term, it is more better to choose a 3* and level him.
  • I don't know if it still applies, but in the era before "1* -> 3* development," when I didn't have the covers to bring my 3*s to 85, having C Storm leveled was nice simply so that if OBW or Ares bit the dust I could bring her off the bench and fight a few battles with her while they got out of "downed" state rather than spending health packs.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    Obw is great and has her place but honestly she herself isnt OP as most people seem to believe it's just that she's a great support character who is very synergistic with strike tile generators.

The parenthetical aside in the title should be read with a tremendous amount of eye-rolling sarcasm; I love OBW, and will cry real tears if she gets nerfed.
    I wouldnt bother. C. Storm is only really good when you have mn mags to feed her blue. Your obw/a. Wolvie covers both her colors as well, so i would look to build a tank to support them (ares/thor).

Forgot to mention my Thor is maxed (albeit not at the preferred build -- he's 5/3/5 atm) -- would that in turn render Ares redundant? Especially since the latter is currently at heh heh 0/5/4. But for the sake of argument, they were both at their ideal and maxed build -- would the reason to level BOTH of them be to have a valid backup when one of them goes down?
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    MTGOFerret wrote:

Pretty much this. Ares is about the only 2* that makes me go ugh.
    Yep, exactly this.

As a maxed-2* player, C.Storm + MN Mags is terrible on defense. Level-for-level, I absolutely love fighting that team: kill CStorm, kill the third (usually Thor/Daken), toy with MN Mags at my leisure. I'd rather fight maxed CStorm + MN Mags + third than L60ish AWolv + Daken/Thor + OBW, and I auto-skip L70+ Ares whenever he appears (which, fortunately, is pretty rare for me).

Ya know, I've frankly forgotten why I maxed my CStorm after she was buffed in Brotherhood. Maybe I intended her to be a backup. Seems a bit silly now, since I never use her in PvP.

P.S. - If your Thor is maxed, then Thor + AWolv + OBW is a no-brainer. Ares is a nice backup, though. I've been running 5/2/5 Thor for the entirety of maxed-2* phase. It's a sub-optimal build, but perfectly sufficient.
  • I am not even a maxed 2* player and I will gladly take on an 85 cStorm 85 mnMags and 85 thor armed with a lvl 50 mStorm a lvl 45 OBW (missing covers, espionage doesn't even do damage) and a third usually thor(69), daken(61) or psylocke(89).

Takes a massive cascade for things to go wrong and usually walk out at full health
  • Forgot to mention my Thor is maxed (albeit not at the preferred build -- he's 5/3/5 atm) -- would that in turn render Ares redundant? Especially since the latter is currently at heh heh 0/5/4. But for the sake of argument, they were both at their ideal and maxed build -- would the reason to level BOTH of them be to have a valid backup when one of them goes down?

Ares is very useful. He does have Thor's colors and hps, but they work a bit differently and Ares can do a lot more dmg with a few minor drawbacks.

You have a good 2* team already, so in my opinion you would want to start looking at leveling up a couple 3*s to the ~100 range. At 100 3*s are as useful as fully leveled 85s.

It also depends on the type of player you are. If you want to go full PvP then you'll want to work on a strong 3* team. If you balance between PvE and PvP then you'll need a diverse roster and may not be able to max any 3* for a long time unless you sink a lot of time or money into the game.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MTGOFerret wrote:

The parenthetical aside in the title should be read with a tremendous amount of eye-rolling sarcasm; I love OBW, and will cry real tears if she gets nerfed.

Forgot to mention my Thor is maxed (albeit not at the preferred build -- he's 5/3/5 atm) -- would that in turn render Ares redundant? Especially since the latter is currently at heh heh 0/5/4. But for the sake of argument, they were both at their ideal and maxed build -- would the reason to level BOTH of them be to have a valid backup when one of them goes down?

That would make ares redundant i think. Ares is arguably better than thor with obw healing, but not enough to warrant the 80k iso. With obw healing, you shouldnt need to swap characters out too much unless youre playing a ridiculous amount. Even if you are playing a ridiculous amount, ares really only represents 1 extra healthpack, so meh.
  • I use C Storm and MN Mags all the time. And then in PVP usually paired with Wolverine or Cap (I dont have a Thor) as a tank. I take on the weak or battery first (99% of the time OBW) and just knock her below the level of Storm's Wind Storm while I build blue and purple. Then I let Wind Storm go, knock out at least one person in the process and go to work on the strongest opponent who is now stunned. If I'm facing OBW and Storm I can usually knock them both out and leave the last person stunned with Wind Storm.

Also Lightning Storm can be really useful since it builds AP.

Raging Tempest is meh but has accidentally come in handy when I get surprised by a big cascade.
  • ddvrom wrote:

Raging Tempest is meh but has accidentally come in handy when I get surprised by a big cascade.

Cascade damage is not added together for the purpose of triggering Raging Tempest.

Raging Tempest is only powerful if there's some kind of massive user error, and not saying I didn't do that before, but you really shouldn't count on your opponent doing something really dumb for an ability to be useful.
  • I have my storm at 65 and that seems about enough for me. Sometimes for fun I'll run her with Mags. The OBW, Thor, Wolv cheese is all too common.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Cascade damage is not added together for the purpose of triggering Raging Tempest.
    He's probably referring to cascades causing match-5/6/7 crits. I occasionally get hit by Raging Tempest this way.
  • C Storm, MN Mags and Littlebunnypunpun is my current standard all-purpose team and wind storm (especially when boosted) is godly. But I used OBW for ages (mostly with Thor and Wolvie or Thor and Punny). I guess the good thing about having both of them around is you can run a couple of different teams and swap people in and out, extending what you can do without burning health packs (especially when doing PVP and PVE events at the same time).

We're really spoiled for choice on heroes with blue powers, and that's even now that I'm trying to avoid using my Spidey since burning out on him in those scaling events where Spidey stunlock on level 230s was the only way to progress. Team Spidey-Venom-tank FTW!
  • I wouldnt bother. C. Storm is only really good when you have mn mags to feed her blue.

And only good for offense as on defense that config is the king of sitting ducks.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:

I just discovered lately that with a support-heavy team I should just kill the damage dealer guy -- and can sit back. OBW can steal whatever AP is no consequence if there's no one to convert it to damage.
  • She works fine at lvl50/60.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    He's probably referring to cascades causing match-5/6/7 crits. I occasionally get hit by Raging Tempest this way.

That kind of a first-world problem though. It's not like Raging Tempest does that much damage if you didn't hit the 'all below 50%' mark. Taking 2 to kill Storm is quite acceptable and that's actually pretty hard to do even if you tried.