Soul Gem Season Character Update (1/9/17)

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Good to see a character that clearly needs it get fixed, but why only a single character a season, especially when that one is a 5* that the vast majority of your playerbase will not have covered anyway, the aim should be for every season to update a 3*, a 4* and if needed a 5* as there are plenty of characters that need fixing not just one or two.

They clearly dont have the manpower needed for that. People think fixing these chars is free, but it is not. And we already have a ton of bugs in the game!
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Whoo, character rebalancing! Let's open the thread and see if I can use some new characters in new ways!

giphy.gif
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will Give Him a go in in Meet R&G (he only has two covers but one is Yellow)
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Bonny2712 wrote:
    I find this character update ok.

But it only affects a small number of players.

A hint for future updates: If you update a 5-Star-Character, please update also a 3-Star-Character (like Sentry)....

And please update Mr. Fantastic.

Mille grazie from snowed in Italy!!!

If I'm not wrong since they started this batch of updates no 3* got a rebalance. I wouldn't of my breath about Sentry, seems like devs consider 3* tier set and done.
    In 3* tier there are a lot of powerful choice not too hard to obtain, so It's fine I think, better to put devs's efforts somewhere else IMHO.

Happy to see another fellow italian in the forum though, ciao!
  • rg72
    rg72 Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    I wish I had a 5teve so I could complain about this !!!

icon_razz.gif
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Vhailorx wrote:

Also, can we all pause for a moment to consider the colossal failure of cap's original design? To make his yellow power usable they had to: (1) reduce the cost by almost 25%; (2) remove the cd functionality if all effects to make them guaranteed, and (3) remove the 'ends the turn' penalty, all without altering the effects of the power at al. How the hell was this power ever approved for release?!

^ This.
  • Mechahamster
    I assume they considered 5 different powers at once to be potentially game breaking so they erred on the side of caution. Like, the very far side of caution.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    D3: Hey guys, we buffed a character that was unquestionably the worst at its tier!
    Everyone: GRAH!!! WHY YOU NO FIX MR. F WE H8 UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's been torches and pitchforks around here for a while, but maybe dial it back a bit. There were some big targets in the 4 and 5* tiers coming out of the gate - Cho, Star-Lord, IW, Mr. F, Silver Surfer, Cap - and they've hit nearly all of them. Relax. Mr. F is coming.

Anyway, maybe the problem is no one knows how to fix him yet. Seriously, he's a complete, back to the drawing board mess. It's not like turning a dial a little, it's like designing a completely new character with an extra set of constraints out of the gate.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chronicler wrote:
    D3: Hey guys, we buffed a character that was unquestionably the worst at its tier!
    Everyone: GRAH!!! WHY YOU NO FIX MR. F WE H8 UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's been torches and pitchforks around here for a while, but maybe dial it back a bit. There were some big targets in the 4 and 5* tiers coming out of the gate - Cho, Star-Lord, IW, Mr. F, Silver Surfer, Cap - and they've hit nearly all of them. Relax. Mr. F is coming.

Anyway, maybe the problem is no one knows how to fix him yet. Seriously, he's a complete, back to the drawing board mess. It's not like turning a dial a little, it's like designing a completely new character with an extra set of constraints out of the gate.

Hey, he does one thing really well - survive with Carnage on his team.

While I'm disappointed that they only fixed 5* Cap, he really did need the fix, and I'm excited any time they improve a character. Miles was really more of a lateral move, honestly, though it was a lateral move that made sense so I didn't really mind it.

Hopefully Reed will get his turn soon. While I agree that they could fix more than one character per season, I do think fixing more than two would be problematic (and dilute their efforts to boot.) Bear in mind that it's partly these character fixes that keep breaking things...
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    My takeaway is that I should no longer get excited before the Season Updates come out, so that going forward I can be pleasantly surprised if it in any way affects someone at my stage of the game.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice update for Cap. At 2/3/1, he's one of my better 5*'s. So, this update will be very beneficial for me in the 2019 time frame. icon_lol.gif

I guess I'll pile on here too. While the Cap update is seriously good, a lot of players just aren't there. Why no love for the lower tiers? Mr. Fantastic clearly is in high demand.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually don't find Mr. F to be that bad. His stun is great, and his heal is nice as well.

In general, it's tough characters who have better powers when used with other characters, because usually those other characters aren't that great (or umm they're spe not oml/ph icon_e_smile.gif )

I think it was good to change this character, as he was good but not nearly as good as his fellow 5* teammates. So now, he has some great improvements.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    HobieCat76 wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Also, can we all pause for a moment to consider the colossal failure of cap's original design? To make his yellow power usable they had to: (1) reduce the cost by almost 25%; (2) remove the cd functionality if all effects to make them guaranteed, and (3) remove the 'ends the turn' penalty, all without altering the effects of the power at al. How the hell was this power ever approved for release?!

^ This.

I thought the flavor of the power was pretty cool, and the little symbols that popped up as the CD's expired were neat (I am not advocating building a power around neat art). The design was very interesting I think, but not fun (or good). Ending the turn is a totally brutal restriction. I wonder what the new art will be, since the old CD pops will obviously no longer be needed.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    C'mon with the complaints about only fixing 1 character people. Every possible fix will help some people and not help others.

It's true that 5* players are a small group, but there are also many fewer 5* characters, so the proportional cost of having a bad one is much higher.

And as for doing multiple characters each season: demi doesnt even have the person-power to test premier new events like boss rush before launch. Why should we expect them to be able to do multiple characters every month? So far the offseason rework model seems sustainable, and several previously **** characters have been significantly improved. There is more work to do, but the current system is much better than what we had.

Let's not go overboard with criticism.

(For the record, my cap is 2/1/1 and my scaling is set to my 19 4* champ. I havent used cap at all in 4 months. This buff has no immediate effect on me. My mr. F has languished at 13 covers for months and would really appreciate a buff))
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    And, Blue can actually benefit from Strike tiles now instead of just consuming them. Double bonus for all those really big Strikes out there icon_e_smile.gif
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    C'mon with the complaints about only fixing 1 character people. Every possible fix will help some people and not help others.

It's true that 5* players are a small group, but there are also many fewer 5* characters, so the proportional cost of having a bad one is much higher.

And as for doing multiple characters each season: demi doesnt even have the person-power to test premier new events like boss rush before launch. Why should we expect them to be able to do multiple characters every month? So far the offseason rework model seems sustainable, and several previously **** characters have been significantly improved. There is more work to do, but the current system is much better than what we had.

(For the record, my cap is 2/1/1 and my scaling is set to my 19 4* champ. I havent used cap at all in 4 months. This buff has no immediate effect on me. My mr. F has languished at 13 covers for months and would really appreciate a buff))

Wait what's the proportional cost? If someone even has him highly covered they probably also have at least the original 3 covered too. No demand that a 5* be used in pvp. Someone with a maxed 5* doesn't really need the help cuz they are likely a whale or at least have many other 5s to fall back on. 5s aren't manadatory in pvp or pve so there really isn't any significant value in cap being buffed before others.

And if his buff makes him overly strong now they rich just got richer and everyone else will have trouble beating this new op character.

TL;DR: Not all characters have a similar proportional value to the amount of tunes in that star system. There are fewer 1* than 3s yet ppl aren't clamoring for a yelena buff.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

Wait what's the proportional cost? If someone even has him highly covered they probably also have at least the original 3 covered too. No demand that a 5* be used in pvp. Someone with a maxed 5* doesn't really need the help cuz they are likely a whale or at least have many other 5s to fall back on. 5s aren't manadatory in pvp or pve so there really isn't any significant value in cap being buffed before others.

And if his buff makes him overly strong now they rich just got richer and everyone else will have trouble beating this new op character.

TL;DR: Not all characters have a similar proportional value to the amount of tunes in that star system. There are fewer 1* than 3s yet ppl aren't clamoring for a yelena buff.

Because 1*s dont matter in the long run. Most players are into 2*s in a few weeks and never look back except for ddq. And 1*s are easy to get.
    The same is mostly true of 2*s.

5Is are hard to get and pure rng. If you just happen to get covers for a **** one there is nothing you can do about it. And while there is no strict requirement that you use 5*s in pve or pvp, that is not practically true once you level your 5*s. You try playing pve against level 500 opponents using just 3*s and 4*s. Or play pvp when mmr only gives you opponents with 2 champ 5*s.

Its true that a very small number if people are truly stuck with a high level cap and no other 5*s. But how many people are really stuck with just sentry or just mr. F. And no other options in those tiers?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    As the proud(???) owner of a 1/5/2 Capt. Rogers I am really liking this.
  • Mechahamster
    Chronicler wrote:

Let me take a stab at it.

Change his Yellow by removing the need for a FF member to be on the team, and give a small heal and 2 ap in strongest colour when a friendly special tile gets matched by anyone.

Change his Black by dropping the cost to 5, the duration to 5 and fortifying it.

Change his Blue to give strike tiles instead of protect tiles for greater synergy with his black.

Pair him up with Nova and X-23 for lots of strike tile fun.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chronicler wrote:

Let me take a stab at it.

Change his Yellow by removing the need for a FF member to be on the team, and give a small heal and 2 ap in strongest colour when a friendly special tile gets matched by anyone.

Change his Black by dropping the cost to 5, the duration to 5 and fortifying it.

Change his Blue to give strike tiles instead of protect tiles for greater synergy with his black.

Pair him up with Nova and X-23 for lots of strike tile fun.

No one has turned into someone...and I would raise his blacks damage some. If you're only going to have one offensive power, might as well be a nuke.