So when exactly will we see SCL 9?

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    <sniping previous quotes.
    You and I are in the same position. I agree with you. It sucks that I have to play a level down to be anywhere near competitive. I've tried 8 a few times, the last time hitting 1200 got you close to 90th place. I was in the 90's and saw people with a champed 5* all the way down to like 82.
    Are you going to jump into that slaughter house every event for even an extra 2k ISO and the same 3* covers? Or would you still play down, screw the ISO and get another 4* cover?
    Really what it comes down to is at the moment it doesn't matter what the ISO amount is in 8 because it's so murderous to enter it without 5* that is not worth whatever the increase would be. You'd really spend the difference skipping through butt* kickings and burning HP to not bleed points. The difference in ISO will matter when the people causing us to skip and burn HP like it's nothing have moved on. That's my take, maybe I'm wrong though.

* Modded myself

You're talking about MMR. MMR isn't effected by SCL. If you pick SCL7 or SCL8 you'll be fighting the same people, the only difference will be who your skills are compared against for placement.

Until you have a strong 4* roster PvP is a waste to focus on IMO. I play PvP when I have time, but I focus on PvE because at our roster levels it's far more rewarding.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    broll wrote:
    <sniping previous quotes.
    You and I are in the same position. I agree with you. It sucks that I have to play a level down to be anywhere near competitive. I've tried 8 a few times, the last time hitting 1200 got you close to 90th place. I was in the 90's and saw people with a champed 5* all the way down to like 82.
    Are you going to jump into that slaughter house every event for even an extra 2k ISO and the same 3* covers? Or would you still play down, screw the ISO and get another 4* cover?
    Really what it comes down to is at the moment it doesn't matter what the ISO amount is in 8 because it's so murderous to enter it without 5* that is not worth whatever the increase would be. You'd really spend the difference skipping through butt* kickings and burning HP to not bleed points. The difference in ISO will matter when the people causing us to skip and burn HP like it's nothing have moved on. That's my take, maybe I'm wrong though.

* Modded myself

You're talking about MMR. MMR isn't effected by SCL. If you pick SCL7 or SCL8 you'll be fighting the same people, the only difference will be who your skills are compared against for placement.

Until you have a strong 4* roster PvP is a waste to focus on IMO. I play PvP when I have time, but I focus on PvE because at our roster levels it's far more rewarding.

I play PvP to 900 every event, hit at least 10k every season. it's worked out pretty well for me considering I've only got 7 or 8 4* champs and no usable 5*'s.

I'd like to see some official confirmation that 7&8 play one another because that has not been my experience at all. In 7, hitting 900 is a moderate challenge if I've got no boosted 4* and easy if I've got any. In 7 I may get tapped by a single 5* champ roster now and then. In 8, getting to 900 is torture and seeing 5* champs is a sure bet and was happening as low as 500, boosted 4*'s or not.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    About the same time of colorless covers no more bugs to characters powers
  • broll
    I'd like to see some official confirmation that 7&8 play one another because that has not been my experience at all.
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]How do Versus Events work with Clearance Levels?
    Clearance Levels in Versus Events act just like any other event in terms of who you are competing against on the leaderboard. As for matchmaking, you will be matched against players in the same End Time to ensure there are enough players to play against. Currently, Clearance Levels do not impact matchmaking.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50745&hilit=how+do+scl+work#p565723

Edit: Snipped the quote down.
  • Mr_Sinister
    broll wrote:
    I'd like to see some official confirmation that 7&8 play one another because that has not been my experience at all.
    "David wrote:
    Clearance Levels in Versus Events act just like any other event in terms of who you are competing against on the leaderboard. As for matchmaking, you will be matched against players in the same End Time to ensure there are enough players to play against. Currently, Clearance Levels do not impact matchmaking.

I would only say, it says currently. My experience tells me that seems to not be the case. MMR issues are numerous and often, so I just don't know how much I give stock to that answer right now.
    But it does say it so good job finding that.
  • spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    broll wrote:
    broll wrote:
    Anyone that is saying fix scl8 instead of go to 9... They aren't fixing 8, so I don't know why you'd even suggest it.

There's 2 reasons to suggest it:
    1. Because each level is greater than the previous level having a practical non-increase diminishes the likelihood of the following levels from being as good as they could/should be.
    2. The devs regularly fix and tweak old stuff, events, methods, characters. There is no reason to assume they won't change 8. I would think it's probably unlikely, but it's 100 times more likely then them putting a 5* in 9 or 10.

Until they have fleshed out the upcoming levels, what reason do they have for adjusting 8? Is it even out of alignment? I don't see a reason to say it's not what it should be. It's not good enough for who? The people that are already beyond it? That's what seems to be the case. Adding a 4* cover to t25 is going to radically alter the landscape and is going to be good enough?

For the people that are beginning 4*, it IS good enough, the problem is it's dominated by the people that are well beyond that point. Those that need it are iced out while those that really don't are dawdling around waiting for the next step.

I am at the beginning for 4* so you're speaking to someone who is exactly in SCL8. When SCL8 came out I was just barely over threshold to enter it. Speaking from that the fact I do not feel it 'IS good enough'. The fact that the covers weren't a bigger jump wasn't great but it's OK. The bigger problem was how tiny the ISO increment was. People in SCL8 are at a point where they're just starting to champion 4*s. The ISO flow is not high enough to support that without hoarding (which the devs have said they aren't a fan of so clearly that's not intending) or having to sell tons of 4* covers.

EDIT:
    Also irregardless to above we have seen many posts with people recommending playing SCL 7 because the rewards are practically the same but the competition is easier. I play SCL 7 for new character releases for this exact reason. You think that's working as intended? The increase between each level should be enough that you can't bare to play down a level because of how many rewards you'd leave on the table, otherwise what is the point of the levels at all?

I'm not usually a grammar nazi but this is a pet peeve of mine. Irregardless is not a word, the word is regardless. Even if irregardless was a word it would mean the opposite of how people use it. Regardless means without regard, ir- is a prefix that negates. So irregardless would mean not without regard, or with regard. /end rant
  • Mr_Sinister
    I'm not usually a grammar nazi but this is a pet peeve of mine. Irregardless is not a word, the word is regardless. Even if irregardless was a word it would mean the opposite of how people use it. Regardless means without regard, ir- is a prefix that negates. So irregardless would mean not without regard, or with regard. /end rant

My father says it all the time and it drives me nuts but I've learned to let it go. It's like when people say they could care less about something intending to mean they don't care about it.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    SCL8 barely flips as it is, and you're not going to get me to believe that it's because there's more than a couple hundred people per time slot going down to lower levels. They'll create SCL 9 when there's enough people to fill it and let it flip, and right now it really doesn't look like there's enough people for that. That's why it's a murderers row right now. And that's ignoring the fact that when they do create it, as long as the rewards aren't terrible (something like extending the 4* cover to top 25 or 50 plus extra progression CP would do fine, I think), you're going to have a bunch of the SCL8 people jumping to 9 and they'll need to make sure there's enough people to stay in 8 to fill it.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    SC9 for PvP isn't doable right now, because I don't think there are enough people to populate it.

SC9 for PvE, however.... there's no real excuse to hold back on that, I think.
  • broll
    broll wrote:
    "David wrote:

I would only say, it says currently. My experience tells me that seems to not be the case. MMR issues are numerous and often, so I just don't know how much I give stock to that answer right now.

That would be a huge change and:
    1. The change was never announced, could have been stealth but...
    2. This community usually detects stealth changes in PvP very quickly.

Only thing I can say to your experience is this is like a placebo effect. You saw difference because you expected to. If you want to chart some real data from a handful of events in each then we can have a discussion on it possibly having been changed.
  • Mr_Sinister
    broll wrote:
    broll wrote:
    "David wrote:

That would be a huge change and:
    1. The change was never announced, could have been stealth but...
    2. This community usually detects stealth changes in PvP very quickly.

Only thing I can say to your experience is this is like a placebo effect. You saw difference because you expected to. If you want to chart some real data from a handful of events in each then we can have a discussion on it possibly having been changed.

I've got screen shots for days with captions "how the **** is this team Q me!!! Gaaahhhhhh" most from scl8. It's not going to get booked into a science journal for indisputable fact, but it's definitely recorded.

Once I'm done my break I'll record my misery index in SCL 8 and lay it out, team by team. I'll get to the bottom of this.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    1) I play SCL, am Level 71, so right at the point where I am close to what I guess will be the SCL 9 break. I play to 575 in most pvp events and I don't see any all 5* teams in PVP ever. And I have an almost usable OML that I use (4/2/3 at 276).
    2) Why does the amount of people that would qualify for SCL matter to when they roll it out? Only the top 200 or so in PVE do 4 clears a day in SCL, so make 9, put a damn 5* as final progression and be done with it already. People who qualify will all move up and everybody SCL 7 and up will have a better experience.
  • broll
    Once I'm done my break I'll record my misery index in SCL 8 and lay it out, team by team. I'll get to the bottom of this.

I'm interested to see what you present. IMO one of the main problems with SCL was the fact that it doesn't affect MMR. If they change that in the future or have already changed that secretly then that's a good thing.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Akatosh wrote:
    I believe it's been about a month and a half since they released SCL 8(not sure, could be wrong). Think we might see SCL 9 at the beginning of the next season?
    Good question. I think a discussion of not only SCL 9, but improvements on recent SCL additions, is certainly warranted. I'll pass this along to the developers and see what their thoughts are.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    2) Why does the amount of people that would qualify for SCL matter to when they roll it out? Only the top 200 or so in PVE do 4 clears a day in SCL, so make 9, put a damn 5* as final progression and be done with it already. People who qualify will all move up and everybody SCL 7 and up will have a better experience.

Following the pattern, they would make the 5* the placement award for 1st place only. I wonder how many people would happily move to SCL 9 for that opportunity?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    You can attract people to appropriate clearance brackets in two ways:

(1) By making the rewards, especially the progression rewards, significantly better, OR

(2) By decreasing the size of the higher brackets.

The latter option makes a whole lot of sense. You want to get people into the highest bracket you can? Make CL9 100 people per bracket.

Yeah, you'll get 3* participation rewards just for showing up, but it'll make people much less likely to sandbag lower SCLs, and it'll be a nice reward for the tiny fraction of the playerbase that's progressed enough to join CL9.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor

(snip excellent meme)

The players you're looking for are out there. Starving on meager fodder. Set a bounteous table and ring the dinner bell, see who shows up.

Oh, I hear you. I remember looking at CL8 when it debuted in PvP and thinking "uh.... this isn't really all that different from CL7. Why would I want to do this again?" And CL7 wasn't tremendously generous or anything to begin with.

Shocking, given than the PvE side was fairly well crafted with respect to the "rewards commensurate to the level player who will qualify for the level" concept. (Sure, I've got complaints with it, but on the whole it's not terrible.)