So, who's next.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daken seems underwhelming with only one active color, but he fits into a lot of teams because a straight-up offensive blue is hard to come by, he gives free strike tiles, and he's a true healer. I use him every day along with Patch and Thanos to take care of my light work. Good thinking to champ him asap.

3Storm is so squishy its hard to recommend her, and her green doesn't cooperate very well with her black, but dang is that black nasty. Partnered with a tile booster (like Falcon) things can get out of hand. She's also great at generating chunks of team-up tiles.

Spider-Man is... icon_cry.gif

Doc Ock gets pulled out anytime I'm fighting symbiotes or 3Storm. He excels at making tile spammers pay and is worth champing for that reason.

Sentry, Captain Marvel, and Punisher are the absolute bottom of the barrel with little redeeming qualities that can justify their use. It takes a required/essential situation for me to use any of them. I champed them for completion's sake, but whatever. (Hard to imagine 3Pun was once considered top tier, but he was.)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    granne wrote:
    Captain Marvel gives Peggy covers, for now at least.
    If they change it to Captain Marvel it's a lateral move.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Medusa + 3* Storm + 2* Daken = hours of fun in Combined Arms.

Only partly because each match takes 10 minutes. You will Never Die.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    I rather advise against a rotating 2 star farm at your stage. Yes, the rewards are okay, but it can become a major distraction from your goal of leveling up your 3 stars. It's a huge iso sink and the rewards though add up over time, are piece mealed out and the pay out of selling a 144 can loose its luster when reinvesting that iso right back into another round of 2s.

Only rotating two star that I highly recommend are Junior Cap and Hawkeye. Just to feed Lazy Cap and IM40. They are the anchors of any developing 3 star roster (maybe also moonstone because everyone wants a high level Hulk too). So the constant cover flow from those 2 character can really help out.
    I disagree with this advice.  2* farm when done correctly is close to ISO neutral but gives you other rewards that are harder to earn like HP, CP, HTs, and specific 3* covers.  There's an upfront cost to setting it up (mainly HP for the extra slots) but it's worth the investment at any level.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say, as I think I responded to one of your other threads, Gwenpool is probably best option from that list.  I don't know much about 4* Fist but I know he doesn't seem to be held in high regard on the forums here.  
  • granne
    Gwenpool. Her board control is second to none, and her AoE is nothing to be sneezed at.

I also have a soft spot for Riri. When she's boosted her red is, frankly, ridiculous and her green is incredibly useful.

I'm not a huge fan of the littlest hobo, but using him boosted in TaT has given me a bit more appreciation for him, especially his black.

Mordo? Meh.

Star-lord. No idea. He may be fine. I have him champed but haven't used him since his release events.
  • granne
    Ouch.

Is there any way to do both?

I love Peggy, who was my first champ, but last week I got more mileage out of AV in PvE than I did out of her. I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation.

• abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Don't think about what happens when the character is boosted. Almost all 4* are pretty good boosted (and I agree, AV was an absolute beast last week). Think about what happens unboosted. 

When Peggy is unboosted, Legendary Presence is still there to up the costs of enemy powers, Do as Peggy Says is sill there for stun, and the red nuke still does reasonable damage. Because her powers are for the most part not based on level, they're always good.
    While I like AV, he isn't nearly as useful unboosted, since the extra levels are needed to make awesome damage.

Combine that with Peggy being vaulted and AV being in tokens for awhile longer, the choice would be clear to me.

Good luck!
  • granne
    He's boosted next week, I think. Does that make him better?

If you don't have extra covers, I'd say Gamora, Cyclops, Mordo, Sandman. That said, although I have him champed, I haven't used Mordo since his rework, so maybe he's great now. He's also about due for a boosted week.
  • granne
    No, my Cyclops is pitiful. I know I don't like to fight him when he's boosted, but that goes for most of the better 4*s. I think recent additions have overshadowed him to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean he's not good.

If you have extra covers, then champ him. If you don't, then wait. Or, just champ whomever you want and enjoy.

I hate wasting covers, and with 15 champs now, I just champ people when I get extra covers. I find it less stressful. That's me, though, and doesn't suit everyone.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:

Do you have Cyclops at a reasonable level, Granne? And if so, do you agree with my speculations about him being a bit overrated and overshadowed by newer additions to the game? 
    Why is he considered top tier while Riri (which I compare him to) lands in the middle to kinda high tier?
    That tier list you're looking at is, presumably, merely someone's opinion, possibly with some input from others.

My observations have been that people are slow to forget how really awesome an older character used to be, and new characters that aren't obviously better than every character before them get slotted in to these (anecdotal) rankings pretty low, for the most part. Characters like Wolverine are fondly remembered and rated (relatively) well, while newcomers like Agent Venom (who can't be worse than Wolverine, imo) basically get thrown in the garbage.

All that being said, the 4* roster list is pretty diverse. There are now 51 non-limited characters, and by essentially all accounts, at least 2/3 of them are solidly usable, or nearly so.

I don't have Cyclops champed either, but I suspect he has earned at least most of his high rating. Both his Yellow and Blue powers accelerate his (or someone else's) Red, and he's got some decently target-able tile destruction. I know he wasn't highly rated when he was released (nor was Red Hulk, for that matter) so its possible that Riri's ranking will also climb as the full implications of Magnetic Repulsors are realized. 

All that being said; as others have pointed out, the days of saving up for a big nuke and then wiping everyone are largely gone forever in favor of special tile synergy nonsense, so I think it's more likely that Riri is being rated about right, and Cyclops is still riding out his wave of fame from long ago.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    mexus said:

:snip:

Do you have Cyclops at a reasonable level, Granne? And if so, do you agree with my speculations about him being a bit overrated and overshadowed by newer additions to the game? 
    Why is he considered top tier while Riri (which I compare him to) lands in the middle to kinda high tier?

Strength of Cyclops is hidden in the fact that his red and blue have decent board control components. You can chain his blue into his red, then use his red to set the board to feed his own blue to repeat the cycle or feed someone else. It is board dependent, and may sound difficult to pull off. But when you pull it off, he can deal devastating damage.

Riri is like an end point of the team that you feed her blue and/or red and let her finish up the match. 4Cyke is more like an intermediate point that you use him to set something up. Comparing their damage alone is not exactly comparing apple and apple.

I agree that his number on the damage output alone may not be that high anymore these days (and frankly, they never were), but if you taking into account other things that he can bring to the party, he is still a very solid character, in my opinion..

edit: typo
  • aa25
    mexus said:
    New Mordo or 4* Gamora?
    Both have 1 each expiring cover. I will probably make them both champs in time but no worries if I have to ditch a cover.
    So focus on which one?
    I really like 4Gamora as attack/strike tiles spammer and awesome stunner. She seems more versatile than Mordo, to me at least.
  • granne
    Gamora. You already have R&G, so this one's easy. Mordo is immeasurably better since his rework, but Gamora's better still.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    If you have to choose one, pick Cyclops. If you will have enough iso for both, champ them both.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Mordo the movie character is completely meh. Since it seems like the coolness of the character is important to you (which is fine), then champ cyclops and don't look back. You will never regret having a champed cyclops.

That said, after his recent rework, Mordo the MPQ character is pretty good. Not as good as cyclops, but he has 2 nukish powers (blue and purple) each with a secondary function (Purple destroys enemy AP although since it's the largest pool that might not matter, and blue replaces tiles of the enemies strongest color with black charged tiles, which help his black). I don't know if it's as good as Cyclops, but he's pretty good and is even more of a monster boosted than many of the 4* tier. 

Since you can champ both of them, I'd do it, but your mileage may vary. 

• granne
    Nova.

I actually don't know, because my Thor is nowhere near champed, but Nova's cool. I just champed him last weekend.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Nova is more fun
  • aa25
    Nova: Strike tiles makers. Quite rare color combination. All three powers are good-great. Can also disable an opponent with his red. Can pump-out damage quick.

4Thor: Self-accelerate heavy nuker. Two great powers (red/blue) and okay-ish (yellow). Just got boosted a bit by Lockjaw. Quite slow to get going though. Boss and wave nodes killer.

Both are great and fun characers, imo. I think it's up to you who you want to add to your roster next. You won't regret it either way.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor + IM40 + charged tile generator is tremendously good fun (if a little one dimensional). I think Lockjaw in there using the green from Recharge will result hilarious levels of damage.