Why do i keep pulling...

2»

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some of them are really slow. It took my Black Widow ages to get back to 144, was at least 3 or 4 weeks behind everyone else.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    One thing I have noticed, is that the 'random' isn't really random.

For example with my Standard and Elite token piles, if I clear the piles every time when I have 1-5 tokens in them, then I appear to have a very high chance of getting the same (for me unusable) tokens again and again. But if I wait until I have 50+ of them, and then collect the whole pile all at once, then I get a lot more variation. It's as if the 'random' generator goes through almost the same sequence every time that you begin.

On a sidenote, I wish I *were* pulling Ares covers... I have already maxed Storm and Wolverine, but not Ares... yet I pull dozens of Storm/Wolverine covers and no Ares covers at all...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrTrix wrote:
    One thing I have noticed, is that the 'random' isn't really random.

For example with my Standard and Elite token piles, if I clear the piles every time when I have 1-5 tokens in them, then I appear to have a very high chance of getting the same (for me unusable) tokens again and again. But if I wait until I have 50+ of them, and then collect the whole pile all at once, then I get a lot more variation. It's as if the 'random' generator goes through almost the same sequence every time that you begin.

On a sidenote, I wish I *were* pulling Ares covers... I have already maxed Storm and Wolverine, but not Ares... yet I pull dozens of Storm/Wolverine covers and no Ares covers at all...
    The important thing to remember about random pulls is that the die has no memory, so to speak. If you pull a Storm cover, it doesn't mean your future pulls has less of a chance to get Storm covers, the chance remains the same (assuming we are talking about regular tokens, not vault tokens of course). With a large enough sample (i.e. enough opened tokens) it tends to even out and you get a wider distribution. There's very few conclusions you can draw from just a handful of pulls.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Misunderstanding what "random" truly means is like 60% of the content of this forum.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Quebbster wrote:
    The important thing to remember about random pulls is that the die has no memory, so to speak. If you pull a Storm cover, it doesn't mean your future pulls has less of a chance to get Storm covers, the chance remains the same (assuming we are talking about regular tokens, not vault tokens of course). With a large enough sample (i.e. enough opened tokens) it tends to even out and you get a wider distribution. There's very few conclusions you can draw from just a handful of pulls.

The important thing to remember about computers, is that they don't actually use a 'die'. There's a computer algorithm that does the randomization. And much of it depends on how that initial randomization factor is determined. And we have no idea how MPQ calculates its randomization factor. It may not really be all that random at all. Very simplistic example: if that initial randomization factor were determined by the time of day, then people who only play at specific times and only open 1 or 2 tokens each time, could easily see very similar results every single time...
    Sure, if the number of tokens you open in 1 sitting, is larger, then you're right and it will eventually even out.

In short: as we don't know anything about how this game does randomization, your assumption that it will even out, is just as much speculation as my assumption that it may NOT even out in cases where you only open a few tokens every sitting...
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    last 2 daredevil tokens: bullseye/ares
    last 2 cap tokens: ares/bullseye

i think i'll post here every time i pull these guys. i bought a couple roster spots and started farming bulls and hawkeye. next spot will be for 4* cap marvel, but then i'll hopefully get an ares going too.
  • jredd
    3 elites from cap event

1 bullseye.
  • Nick441234
    I've actually just purchased 12 new roster slots and am filling them with copies of all the 2*s. That way I can keep using all my level 144 2*s until I gain 13 covers for each character again.
  • Quebbster
    I've actually just purchased 12 new roster slots and am filling them with copies of all the 2*s. That way I can keep using all my level 144 2*s until I gain 13 covers for each character again.
    I feel it works just fine to sell off whoever is maxed whenever I have a cover about to expire for them, but I pretty much only use my twostars for DDQ anyway, so it's not a huge loss.
  • jredd
    9 heroics for end of season:

1 bullseye
    3 ares

thanks rng!
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I feel it works just fine to sell off whoever is maxed whenever I have a cover about to expire for them, but I pretty much only use my twostars for DDQ anyway, so it's not a huge loss.
    Usually I'm the Same With 2's but I'm getting Mileage out of Mags and Storm in Dark Avengers Heroic (Mags is featured and Storm is a reinforcement in part 1)
    nice coinikidenk that they are both Champions right now
    I have 7 2 star champs Steve Rogers at 60 and the rest at 15 with at or close to max covers
    I'm trying to Champion the rest of the 3's (26 done with only 5 not max covered)
  • Nick441234
    Quebbster wrote:

I never get 13 covers for a single character in 14 days so that would never work for me. Covers would just keep expiring. Plus, as someone who plays mainly PVE, trying to drag a single cover 2* into the essential fights wont go down well with my scaling.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster wrote:

I never get 13 covers for a single character in 14 days so that would never work for me. Covers would just keep expiring. Plus, as someone who plays mainly PVE, trying to drag a single cover 2* into the essential fights wont go down well with my scaling.
    Eh, if a cover is about to expire I just sell the maxed version and apply whatever covers I have to the new version. That gives me Another two weeks Before I have to sell expiring covers. I have progressed far enough that I don't need to rely on the two-star essential anyway, so it doesn't affect me a whole lot.
    I may have shot myself in the foot a bit though since I don't really have any maxchamped two-stars to use in Combined Arms now, but what the heck, it's only an off-season event...
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I know its not completely on topic but if youre 2* farming, lightning rounds are your best friend! I started 2* farming a couple months ago and have been max champing and selling at least 1 2* every week with another 2* waiting to be rostered and enough covers to champ them typically. 2* seem to drop more often in LRs for me and I usually finish t25 to get 2 heorics every LR and all that adds up FAST!
  • jredd
    got the 300 prog cover in combined arms today.

hawkeye.
  • jredd
    my last post was monday and haven't pulled one of the 3 since. now that i dropped 3000 hp on roster slots for them i suppose i won't be getting them so much...
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Being one of those weird people that tracks EVERY cover opened, I've got my 2016 stats up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =669451924

Standard Tokens only - 1 star.png
    Black Widow 235
    Hawkeye 260
    Iron Man 343
    Juggernaut 238
    Spider-Man 358
    Storm 365
    Venom 247
    Yelena Belova 114*

* She was removed from Std. tokens part-way through 2016... icon_e_sad.gif

The numbers are actually really good. My sample pool is 2,583 tokens, and the numbers are well within 1 std deviation. If there truly was a problem with D3's RNG, you'd see a much higher skew to one character or another.

But wait! Some characters have mid 200's while others are mid 300's...

Ahh yes, but recall that some of the 1* characters are only 2 covers. Once you take that into consideration, the apparent skew disappears as the pull rate is per color, per character, not just per character.

For 2 star.pngstar.png
    Ares 32
    OBW 33
    Bullseye 30
    Ms.Marvel 26
    Daken 26
    Hawkeye 28
    Johnny 21
    Magneto 34
    Moonstone 22
    Spider-Man icon_lol.gif
    Cappy 21
    Storm 26
    Thor 16
    Wolverine 30

I don't feel my sample size is high enough (only 345 total pulls), which is why I think Thor's results are bit laggy. But if OP is correct, I'd expect Ares/Bullseye/Hawkeye to be much higher... they seem on par with the others - all except Thor.
  • jredd
    alaeth wrote:
    Being one of those weird people that tracks EVERY cover opened, I've got my 2016 stats up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =669451924

Standard Tokens only - 1 star.png
    Black Widow 235
    Hawkeye 260
    Iron Man 343
    Juggernaut 238
    Spider-Man 358
    Storm 365
    Venom 247
    Yelena Belova 114*

* She was removed from Std. tokens part-way through 2016... icon_e_sad.gif

The numbers are actually really good. My sample pool is 2,583 tokens, and the numbers are well within 1 std deviation. If there truly was a problem with D3's RNG, you'd see a much higher skew to one character or another.

But wait! Some characters have mid 200's while others are mid 300's...

Ahh yes, but recall that some of the 1* characters are only 2 covers. Once you take that into consideration, the apparent skew disappears as the pull rate is per color, per character, not just per character.

For 2 star.pngstar.png
    Ares 32
    OBW 33
    Bullseye 30
    Ms.Marvel 26
    Daken 26
    Hawkeye 28
    Johnny 21
    Magneto 34
    Moonstone 22
    Spider-Man icon_lol.gif
    Cappy 21
    Storm 26
    Thor 16
    Wolverine 30

I don't feel my sample size is high enough (only 345 total pulls), which is why I think Thor's results are bit laggy. But if OP is correct, I'd expect Ares/Bullseye/Hawkeye to be much higher... they seem on par with the others - all except Thor.

i'm not saying those 3 characters are more common in general, just that i've been pulling a way higher amount of the 3 over the past couple months. until i dropped 3k hp to start farming them of course...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't seem to stop pulling WM Reds, even though I have him at 5 Reds already!! But only 12 covers total. If I could just pull a Green or Blue, I could champion him and save the dying covers.. but no.
    15965372_10101462848217244_2039145715925415264_n.jpg?oh=c46af08441da3051432bfe01a73545cd&oe=58DB95E8

icon_evil.gif
  • jredd
    in case you guy were wondering, i'm still pulling these three a seemingly disproportionate amount. my last 3 event tokens today were bullseye, ares, and bullseye. throw in a hawkeye from one of my elites and i got the trifecta!

just wanted to keep you all updated icon_e_confused.gif