Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    What if we don't hate them?
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would vote for "There are so many characters I would like to see added to the game that I'm disappointed to keep seeing the same characters added again over and over". But that's not a choice.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess the themes? I don't necessarily hated variants, I'm just tired of their overuse. Marvel has a library of characters and we've got a revolving door of 10-12 themed characters...maybe less now that x-character are out of the mix apparently.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    None of the above.

I like variants. I want a Superior Spider-Man, and Iron Doom, and God Emperor Doom, and Baby Groot, and Iceman (real Iceman, not babyface snow loser Iceman), and a Richard Rider Nova, and a Beta Ray Bill Thor and an All-Father Thor and an Odinson (Unworthy Thor, couldn't be used with 2*/3* Thor, but COULD be used with 4* Jane Foster Thor), and a movie Hawkeye (5* with Speed Shot and Trick Arrows like Goblin's purple?! hellz yeah) and wouldn't be opposed to a Silk or Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man Noir, either. You get the picture. I even kinda want a "Weapon X" Wolverine, loin-cloth and helmet and wires and all that crazy stuff, think he'd make a great Story villain, flashback to Wolverine's origin.

But I would rather have Hank Pym and Gambit and Nightcrawler and Rogue and Kitty and The Blob and Sabertooth and Emma Frost and Hercules and Yellowjacket and Red Skull and Cloak & Dagger and Namor and Jessica Jones and Sif and Lady Deathstryke and Enchantress and and Purple Man and Taskmaster and Mandarin and Leader and Ronan and Arcade (HOLY COW WOULD ARCADE BE PERFECT FOR A PUZZLE GAME VILLAIN) and Apocalypse and Mephisto and Dormammu and Black Cat and like a dozen Spidey villains (no lie, Kraven, Lizard, Sandman, Mysterio, Electro, Shocker, Chameleon, Rhino, Scorpion, Vulture, Hobgoblin, and Smythe and his Spider-Slayers for some real variety there).

I would kill for a good 4* Peter Parker (easier to obtain than a 5*, isn't an insult to Spider-Man like the 3* version with his yellow/purple powers). Number one character I want added to the game, no contest.

But there are also a hundred other NEW characters they could be using. I said I want a 4* Peter, I'd be chill for classic red/blue Spidey, I'd also like Iron Spider and Symbiote Spidey and Superior Spidey and wouldn't be opposed to Spider-Armor, the Stealth Suit, the Future Foundation Suit, or even one of the Identity Crisis suits. But each one of those counts as a new character in MPQ (instead of just being a display option you unlock and toggle between).

Variants have their place, but every variant we get puts us that much further from having a fully fleshed out roster that represents the full variety of Marvel Comics. I'd love six new Spidey variants (especially if they're mostly Peter Parker, cause he's my favorite). But we could pick any of the people above to add instead. Or Zemo or the Warriors Three or Lady Deathstryke or the Wrecking Crew or Omega Red or MODOK or Angel or Cable or Cannonball or Sunspot or Dazzler or Misty Knight or ForgetMeNot or Legion or Elixer or Blackhart or Black Knight or any of Nick Fury's Howling Commandos or Uatu or any Skrulls or Kree or Mantis or Nebula or Yondu or any of (I presume) another 100+ characters from the cosmic side of Marvel that I'm not familiar with.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DuckyV wrote:
    What if we don't hate them?

This.
    I grumbled a little when a new character was just a 3* version of an existing 1* or 2* character. But now if we have a character we liked in not-4* land who's no longer useful, we get a new version.

I love Captain Marvel but her 3* version has always been kinda...eh. And I was never keen on how she looked either. Her ner version seems pretty cool! I'm all for it.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Where's the "I don't" option?

Let's hear it for intellectually honest polling.
    Lol. Added.

Yeah, actually, I don't hate variants. I got the impression from recent threads that many people do, though. I just want to know why, because there was a lot of disagreement about what made a variant, you know, a variant.

On second thought, I do hate some variants. Mostly just characters with the EXACT SAME same game mechanics, like 2* / 3* Cap. I'm going to go vote for that one.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to agree with the posters above, I like variants. 2* Thor helped me destroy the opposition and get me into the three-star territory, where 3* Thor helped me. I'd love a 4* kick-@$$ Thor (that isn't Jane Foster) or a cool Beta-Ray Bill. I always loved Thor, dating back to the Walt Simonson era of his comic book. Carol Danvers is another favorite; I use her 2* every day in DDQ and look forward to her 4* version. I pray to Stan Lee every night that we're given a 4* Spidey (that doesn't suck) when Homecoming releases because Peter Parker is my all-time favorite comic character. Why is there so many Wolverine variants? Because we all love him! He's one of the coolest characters ever created, and it'd be a shame if we only had use of such an icon at a single star level.

I want new characters, too. Every time they run that online poll I beg for Rogue. But it's not like we never get new characters. The last several have all been new... Thanos, Medusa, Flash Thomson, Doc Strange, Gwenpool.

Carol Danvers is a popular character in the comics, and her popularity is only going to grow with her upcoming film. As long as the variants are of characters as cool as her, I'm cool.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not winning a lot of hearts and minds here, Gunther. I'm another of the "don't mind" bunch. Sure I'd rather see different characters instead of more variants, but that's way down on the list of things I'm interested in seeing improved around here.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    Not winning a lot of hearts and minds here, Gunther. I'm another of the "don't mind" bunch. Sure I'd rather see different characters instead of more variants, but that's way down on the list of things I'm interested in seeing improved around here.
    Sorry, I didn't have an agenda when I made the poll, but I agree that it reads that way. Oh well. I really just wanted to understand why a specific group of people (those who dislike variants) feel that way.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't like variants because they feel like a missed opportunity to release a true new character.

Maybe I should even phrase that differently...

When I see a new character is being released I get excited. When I see it's a variant that excitement largely vanishes...

OOOH!!! A NEW CHARACTER!!!
    Oh, another Wolverine. (and to quote Donald Trump) SAD!
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't like variants because my bae Rogue and my fam Cable aren't in the game yet icon_e_wink.gif
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:
    I would vote for "There are so many characters I would like to see added to the game that I'm disappointed to keep seeing the same characters added again over and over". But that's not a choice.

This. I don't hate variants for any of the above reasons. I hate variants because of the hundreds of Marvel characters not in the game yet they pumping out characters already in the game. I don't care if Sam Wilson is appearing as Falcon or Cap, or how many kinds of attacks all of Iron Man's different suits can come up with, they're still Sam and Stark to me dammit! Give me characters I'm not seeing yet in game like Red Skull! And I'm not even going to get started on the Xmen which has dozens still outside the realms of this game.

Give me something really new dammit. Starting the new year with yet another variant of an old character isn't a good way to start the year
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's funny how every time there is a variant a bunch of people outrage how no one likes variants. However in this poll 48% of responding users said they don't hate them. Then take into account that the more casual the player is the more likely they are to not care (or even favor) variants, it's not hard to see why we keep seeing them.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    52% not liking variants is huge. Let's not pretend it isn't.

There's a difference between understanding why we see so many repeated characters, and having so many variants as a preferred choice. I'm still reasonably sure that if you give most players a direct decision between having a new character and having a variant character the majority will pick a new character.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    X-23 is my favorite character so you lost me with the "claws on your feet" comment
    I don't mind variants (although the older same power ones were kind of blah)
    A Captain Marvel who isn't a bullet sponge should be interesting
    3 Star Thanos was a waste of time and an insult to the character
    even without the Gauntlet Thanos should still be at least 4 Star and possibly still 5
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It doesn't matter much to me. Make new characters gives them $$$, so it will never stop. As long as they are continually improving the game and making it more interesting, then that's good enough for me.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's no option for this.

...because of the concept of opportunity cost. It isn't necessarily that Iron Man is in any way bad. But, the time they spend making a fifth Iron Man could be better spent making a first Nightcrawler, Cable, Jessica Jones, Namor, etc.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't mind variants in and of themselves, it's just that nearly half of the new releases this year were variants and there are potentially hundreds of other characters they could've put in instead of a_wolverine_clone_01.

Also, having potentially three or four roster choices locked out when one of them is on the other team is annoying.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    I don't mind variants in and of themselves, it's just that nearly half of the new releases this year were variants and there are potentially hundreds of other characters they could've put in instead of a_wolverine_clone_01.

Also, having potentially three or four roster choices locked out when one of them is on the other team is annoying.

At least that went away with 117. We need better patch notes.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There is nothing really wrong with having variants. It would suck if 1* iron man was the only iron man of if we were stuck with 2* cap being the only captain america. The problem is that they don't know when to stop. There are so many characters that we keep asking for again and again that they just ignore. We've already reached the point where we have multiples of the same character at the same * level. We've already reached the point where they are making up versions of characters just to add variants. It's enough already! Take a break from the variants. Maybe make a rule that you can add 1 variant for every 10 new characters added. (with exceptions for special promotions)