Character Restrictions Removed From Story Events

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey Everyone,

Starting in R117, character restrictions have been changed in Story events. In most situations, players will be able to use a character even if the same character (or variant of that character) is on the opposing team.

Character restrictions will not change for cases where the character is not available for story reasons though (for example, Wolverine will not be available for early sub-chapters in Enemy of the State).
They will also not change regarding playing with more than one variant or copy of the character on your team.

Cheers!

Comments

• Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Great change with DP vs MPQ coming up! Can't wait to see a Gauntlet with this new change too... (but hopefully with a worthwhile reward at the end)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting

Though this should've been communicated earlier, in the R117 patch notes or some sort of announcement before R117 went out
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The bug that turns out to be an intended feature!!!!

This says something about player's perception of the last 6 months of patches and releases

This is a fun change, and the wolverine lockouts in ETOS while unfortunate is very reasonable and in character with the event.

edit I think this is a good idea, but you need to specific the list of events with char restrictions and which do not.

Specifically,
    how will simulator and gauntlet be handled. Part of the design of those events is predicated on finding teams to hard counter the enemy. In this context, char lockouts ARE appropriate and other takes away the challenge of these two events,
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Ooh. Between this and SCL I'm really interested in taking on The Gauntlet now. Simulator should a little more bearable.

This is also good news for 2* players. There was nothing worse than having Ares boosted, but unable to use him in half the nodes.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    Ooh. Between this and SCL I'm really interested in taking on The Gauntlet now. Simulator should a little more bearable.

This is also good news for 2* players. There was nothing worse than having Ares boosted, but unable to use him in half the nodes.

I see you and I have a difference of opinion icon_e_smile.gif Thats fine, I'm okay with the change either way. But this is actually a good issue for the players to debate. While those nodes were hard as hell, that was part of the intergal challenge of those events
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Phumade wrote:

They probably could not fix this bug so they're simply leaving it lol.. nonetheless I think this is great.

I am curious though if the AI will start using TU's of characters we have on our team now.... that's right.. just as you're about to gain 18 green AP for Rhulk, the AI unleashes a Rhulk purple T/U... HULK SMASH! icon_mad.gif

I am just happy I can finally use Dark Avengers without being locked out... 3* Bullseye will own 2* Bullseye in a fight!!
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not having my better characters locked out in (most) story events will be nice.

Lots more flexibility in DDQ now, too.

Good change.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:

They probably could not fix this bug so they're simply leaving it lol.. nonetheless I think this is great.

I am curious though if the AI will start using TU's of characters we have on our team now.... that's right.. just as you're about to gain 18 green AP for Rhulk, the AI unleashes a Rhulk purple T/U... HULK SMASH! icon_mad.gif

I think I've seen at least one case in the last day or two of the AI using a T/U of a character I had on my roster. So...probably?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

What's coming next?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does this effect heroics as well?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I like this, really think it's gonna take away some of the challenge in finding teams that are not your conform zone.

Might well go full tilt and have no restrictions. I want a full Black Widow team.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    I think this is a good idea, but you need to specific the list of events with char restrictions and which do not.
    The one's I can remember.
    Wolverine during much of Enemy of the State (obv)
    Nick Fury during The Hunt during the day he's captured. Possibly other times he's captured as well, but I believe that's when I noticed him locked out.
    Never checked, but probably The Rider Awakens mission during Hearts of Darkness.
    I want to make a joke about [bad character] here being unusable during any mission. Like 3anos or Agent Venom. If I had Bagman at all, I'd probably rate him higher than them.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is potentially really good news. Assuming it applies to DDQ as well, it will open up our options. As of now, the only 1* I have rostered in Juggernaut because he has no other variants and can't be locked out of his node; the same goes for Ares at the 2* level. I'd honestly rather play with 2* Storm and sell him so I can start him from scratch, but then I'd miss out on many nodes in the meantime.

This also leads me to believe that they're considering more variants across star levels. Possibly of Juggernaut and Ares, but namely in that if they're about to have four or more Iron Man, Cap, Spider-Man, Thor, Hulk, etc. characters, they want the freedom to not step on toes at every turn.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    One word: finally.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_e_surprised.gif Does this mean if Civil War is run again, I can use Recharge Man against Boss Iron Man? You know, when the cost is 6 like it's supposed to be?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gotta say, even though he is squishy and relatively easy to kill, it's nice and relaxing to be able to neutralise Hood with my own and focus on killing Juggernaut (the extra AP cost helps not get head butted too)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a fun change. That was one thing I always like about PVP, that you could mirror your opponents. And now I can use those TUs in the same PVE node where I won them, which is nice!
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Please apply this to heroics. Stop restricting which champions we can play during heroics.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Btw is the the "Character Restrictions Removed From Story Events" this?
    We are busy working on a few features in 2017, including one that should be coming very soon that will improve the overall player experience and hopefully makes everyone very happy.

Or that is in reference to something else?

https://news.marvel.com/games/57497/pie ... in-marvel/
  • Steirerbua
    Steirerbua Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    At last I get to counter that annoying Hood in story events ...
    ... with a Parker Robbins, thus resulting in a match of AP Pingpong icon_e_wink.gif