Is anyone going to build 3* thanos 0/5/5?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
It was an easy call to sit on my black cover until after Unstable Iso-8, but soon I will have to decide whether to apply any black covers at all.

Ultimately, I think I will probably champ Thanos, since the rewards are fairly compelling and I can't really ever imagine using him except when essential. But a 0/5/5 build is pretty tempting. Is anyone going to try it?

Comments

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I thought about it until I found out he gives icon_redhulk.png covers as his champ rewards. I figure that is enough reason to champ him, even if I never use him.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't seen the full power tier, but from 1-2 it looks like he at least hurts his allies less with each successive upgrade. Maybe at 5 black "Court Death" is trivial? If so, that would be your usual build, and then switch it back to 3/5/5 for defense.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    I haven't seen the full power tier, but from 1-2 it looks like he at least hurts his allies less with each successive upgrade. Maybe at 5 black "Court Death" is trivial? If so, that would be your usual build, and then switch it back to 3/5/5 for defense.

It looks like around 4K to foes and 3.7k to allies when champed @ 5. So, not super great.

I'll just champ him and never use him. He's a garbage character, but an underleveled 3* would be equally useless for my scaling. And his other skills aren't so impressive that I'd ever want to use him as 0/5/5 anyway. Vision's match damage booster is cheaper and better. And KK, Panther, and Deadpool all have aoe in the same neighborhood without countdown. Court Death or not, there's little use for him, so might as well get those champ rewards.
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2016
    firethorne wrote:
    Calnexin wrote:

It looks like around 4K to foes and 3.7k to allies when champed @ 5. So, not super great.

I'll just champ him and never use him. He's a garbage character, but an underleveled 3* would be equally useless for my scaling. And his other skills aren't so impressive that I'd ever want to use him as 0/5/5 anyway. Vision's match damage booster is cheaper and better. And KK, Panther, and Deadpool all have aoe in the same neighborhood without countdown. Court Death or not, there's little use for him, so might as well get those champ rewards.

Ultimately I end up in the same place firethorne. Since he's not good enough to use 0/5/5, might as well champ him for the red hulk covers.

And calnexin, 3* thanos' black actually does more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 black covers (well, the total enemy damage is higher, but each ally takes more damage than any individual enemy). So the cost of building him 3/5/5 is pretty significant.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    With OML + a useless character, it's not so bad.

Champion all the way!!!!

They probably made your own team's damage worse at 3 covers to encourage people to bump it up to 4 or 5 covers.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I recruited two, a 3/5/5 to champ and a 0/1/0 to use. Hopefully he gets fixed but if not I don't ever have to take the self damage from him.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:

This is more or less where I'm probably gonna be. I'll probably try him with some groups to see if I can get something workable, maybe with a team heal team like KK and Strange, or a self heal team like Daken and Wolverine, or using various stun/airborne mechanic to avoid. But more than likely I'll champ him for the rewards and hope he get's a significant rework at some later date.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will recruit a 2nd and decide whether he has 1 cover or 0/5/5 later.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    And calnexin, 3* thanos' black actually more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 black covers (well, the total enemy damage is higher, but each ally takes more damage than any individual enemy). So cost of building him 3/5/5 is pretty significant.
    I plan to champ mine because, well, maybe they'll realize their mistakes and retool the character and because of rewards, but I wanted to point out that the total enemy damage is actually not higher at 3-4 covers. You're definitely dealing more to your own team unless it's a survival node.

You have to down an enemy character for Court Death to trigger. That means you're only ever doing damage to 2 enemy characters with it, ergo the team damage is higher at 3-4 covers (assuming your full team is still standing, too).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I plan to champ him but when he becomes essential in an upcoming PVE, I'll simply use 1 rewarded cover as a dup for the next PVE. I rather have a 2V3 fight then trying to kill all 3 enemies at once to avoid the team damage.

As for PVP.. I don't know, I might completely skip it .. it's a lot of healthpack just on seed teams even for his loaner (I'll likely use the useless 1-2 cover 5*'s for the seeds though)!
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    And calnexin, 3* thanos' black actually more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 black covers (well, the total enemy damage is higher, but each ally takes more damage than any individual enemy). So cost of building him 3/5/5 is pretty significant.

In most cases, the total enemy damage is lower because you're only hitting two opponents after killing the third to trigger court death. The exception are in waves with more than three opponents
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll never use him anyays, so without champ levels, he'll would be pretty useless.
  • Vhailorx
    Thanks to smudge and spectator for correcting me. Total enemy damage will be lower 2v2, though it could be higher if only 1 ally is still up.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,050 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oml + Elektra + thanos.
    Or

Phoenix + Elektra + thanos
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    My 3* Thanos is currently 0/4/1

Not interested in adding any black covers until they correct the obvious design mistake.
    Why would anyone use him?
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Hey everyone, boosted carnage in thanos pvp
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    With OML + a useless character, it's not so bad.

Champion all the way!!!!

They probably made your own team's damage worse at 3 covers to encourage people to bump it up to 4 or 5 covers.

This is what I don't understand about Thanos. I can't think of another character's power that discourages you from having less than 5 covers. The majority of powers are of course better at 5 covers and there are a few characters like OBW who have powers arguably better at lower covers, but I can't think of a single other power where you are actively punished for having less than 5 covers. Am I wrong?
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    When you use him you have to hit each enemy so you can take them out with 1x AoE (JG, Kamala, Thor, etc), then his Black power doesn't trigger if you take out all of the enemy at once.

He's very usable, just different.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    3700 damage to allies is ludicrous. That's just under half of the average unboosted 3*'s health pool, twice. Even if you solely bring high HP characters like Hulk or Colossus along with him, he'll have you eating through health packs.

And taking him into a wave node is pure suicide. Just think about Big Enchilada: that's 11 x 3700 damage, if you don't go out of your way to stop it from firing or negate its damage (which forces you to choose from a very limited selection of teammates - PunMax, Colossus, Invisible Woman). I'd rather just skip the hassle and never use him to begin with.
  • I've had fun with him on the PvE low nodes, where one death pretty much leaves the rest of the enemy dead or dying...it's almost like 3 for the price of 1

...but can we agree the Death graphic is awesome...!