Weak-Looking Powers that are Strong

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
What are some of your favorite powers where the animations make them look very weak, but they are actually quite strong?

Mine include:

Str3nge blueflag.png Weird swirling approach... Dang, stun + CD with damage every turn!!
St2rm blueflag.png She's backing away from me... Whoa, stun + AOE dmg!!
Bobby blueflag.png Punch looks very weak... OMG I just lost 10,000+ hit points (when boosted)!!
IW greenflag.png She's hitting me with bubbles... Yikes, just lost 10,000+ hit points (when boosted)!!

Of course there are plenty of strong-looking strong powers (such as Cyc's lazer beams or HB's punch), and plenty of weak-looking powers that are weak (such as Psylock's powers...).

As a bonus, what are some of your favorite strong-looking attacks that are actually very weak? (such as XFW's green...).

Comments

• Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Loki purple- I remember the first time I saw Loki and I said "how useless is that purple". If you don't kill Loki first, he'll bite you in the **** no matter what tier you are on.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punisher's Judgment.
    Feel my fury as I unleash my full arsenal apon you yeeeaaaarrggghhhh.
    Opponent is lightly scratched.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    CT1888 wrote:
    Punisher's Judgment.

You will lose because of judgement one day and you'll remember this post.

The AI plays punisher like he's an mpq God. Every other turn is judgment and Molotov. His PvP is one of the most annoying I find.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 wrote:
    Punisher's Judgment.

You will lose because of judgement one day and you'll remember this post.

The AI plays punisher like he's an mpq God. Every other turn is judgment and Molotov. His PvP is one of the most annoying I find.
    Haha! True, but almost every time I fire it, the Judgement is actually a Mild Rebuke
  • mpqr7
    I'm always impressed at how judgement releases very weak strike tiles, even at 5 covers, championed. It's like BAM! WHOOSH! ... only 400 dmg.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    In the 2* tier, Captain Marvel's yellow can be pretty ridiculous, particularly when paired with 2* Hawkeye.

Similarly, 3* Cyclops yellow seems like it's mainly there to fuel his red power, but used with 3* Daredevil and some trap tiles and it can be a match-ender.

And I'm probably the only person who likes playing Vision. Blue + red == win.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    She-Hulk is a good candidate. Her green can either ruin your day or do nothing special, but the furious animation doesn't match what the ability does at all (nor does the ability make sense for the character). Meanwhile, the animation for her red looks like she's about to lay the hurt on, but it's really one of the weakest AoEs in the game.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    My favorite is when I use Luke Cage against Sentry.. Sentry uses his green and makes a bunch of CDs. I'm not even worried about them because Cage's protect tile minimizes the damage to 1 a majority of the time icon_lol.gif

The weakest looking power that is strong is definitely Magneto's Blue.. I will never forget the day I watched him move a couple of tiles and then I died.. crazy
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    1* blueflag.pngicon_blackwidow.png

It's a 1* power. How bad could it be? She's firing a little charged dart out of a bracelet.

(teamup - 5 round stun to target + 1 round for the other team members).

Well... dang. Not too shabby for 9 TU AP. I keep her on staff.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    stowaway wrote:
    She-Hulk is a good candidate. Her green can either ruin your day or do nothing special, but the furious animation doesn't match what the ability does at all (nor does the ability make sense for the character). Meanwhile, the animation for her red looks like she's about to lay the hurt on, but it's really one of the weakest AoEs in the game.

I like the noise she makes. I don't know where it came from, but it sounds like one of those iconic Hollywood sounds that people use everywhere. Like the "aaaagh!" sound in Star Wars whenever a stormtrooper falls into a pit of some kind.
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I'm always impressed at how judgement releases very weak strike tiles, even at 5 covers, championed. It's like BAM! WHOOSH! ... only 400 dmg.

166 Punisher: assault rifle + rocket launcher = 400dmg + some strikes
    166 Thug: pistol = 2000+ dmg

hmmm....
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

hmmm....

The Thug uses Adamantium bullets!
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2016
    mpqr7 wrote:

hmmm....

Or a Noisy Cricket?

54964-acad1590d9ecd3c533d9c011efea72ed.jpg

Punisher be like:

hqdefault.jpg
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

hmmm....

They are hammer guys right? Their probably Judas bullets.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    How 'bout Professor X? All his powers are some variation of "NRRRGGG FOREHEAD" but he'll tear you apart if you let him.
  • mpqr7
    Good call on the 1BW blueflag.png That one blows me away with how incredible it is, especially for being a 1* character.

Also, there's Moonstone purpleflag.png Okay, she's spinning in a circle... whoops, I just lost 3000+ hitpoints in PVE! Worse when there are purple feeder nodes, so she casts it every few turns.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    4hor smite- she's just standing there and I'm dead (call the storm similar)
    Surfer glitter beam- what a fabulous way to die

Also, not a commentary on power, but it's hilarious cyclops rallies the troops with his posterior.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    4hor smite- she's just standing there and I'm dead (call the storm similar)
    Surfer glitter beam- what a fabulous way to die

Also, not a commentary on power, but it's hilarious cyclops rallies the troops with his posterior.
    30ngefr.png
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Really Cool-Looking Powers that don't actually do immediate damage: War Machine's Red and Green

Rhodey's comin for ya! BOOM BOOM ENTIRE SCREEN SHAKES

...here's a countdown tile.
    And his Blue is the total opposite. He runs a bar code scanner on you looking for shields and invisibility tiles. But then drops big damage on you, without any aftereffects or explosions.
  • CT1888
    For a seemingly quite nonchalant swipe of the claws, Rage of the Panther is quite, quite brutal.

Another for the powerful looking weak ones has to be Nick Fury's Avenger Assemble. Look! Here comes everyone.
    Very rarely gets me more than tiny damage.