720 cp IS a good deal after all!

WelcomeDeath
WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So way back when 5* covers could first be bought for 720 cp, that seemed like a really steep price. At that time, you could "guarantee" one of the 3 5* characters at 500 cp, a color at 1500 cp (I know there's no guarantees even then, but just to set a cost value, thats where I'm setting it). Now, if you're pulling classics at 1.6666% for a 5*, thats about 1200cp for a specific character, or 3600cp for a color. Insane, right? But at those odds, 720 cp for a single specific cover to finish someone seems reasonable.

Of course, if you go latests, its still only 500 for a character and 1500 for a color, so if you can earn 6500 cp worth of pulls in 3 months, thats the way to go. Question is, are you averaging 75cp/day to get to 6500 in 3 months time to cover? I know I'm not. Pull rates really need to be addressed, or covers put where they can be somehow earned. The 4* tier isn't much better for rates, but at least those covers drop far more often from more places (placement, progression, heroic and event tokens, champ levels). For now, it's either have 5* already or hoard for 6 months to get a good shot...which isn't really ideal.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    You seem to be using the word guarantee to describe 5* pull rates from rng lts.

I am pretty sure that's not how rng works,
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am glad you're feeling positive about spending 720 CP for a specific 5* cover but the devs really need to address the 5* problem.. add a 3rd token already, the screen is dying for a 3rd slot! Plus Colorless covers needs to be a priority for 2017.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am glad you're feeling positive about spending 720 CP for a specific 5* cover but the devs really need to address the 5* problem.. add a 3rd token already, the screen is dying for a 3rd slot! Plus Colorless covers needs to be a priority for 2017.

You've got it backwards, they already fixed the problem of 720 CP seeming too expensive. We thought they were making mistakes, no they were addressing a complaint. Problem solved! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now, if you're pulling classics at 1.6666% for a 5*, thats about 1200cp for a specific character, or 3600cp for a color.
    Not how RNG works.
    Insane, right? But at those odds, 720 cp for a single specific cover to finish someone seems reasonable.
    No, not reasonable. Because you've conveniently left the 179 4*'s you've also drawn alongiside your 5* for that 3600 CP out of your equation. It isn't a matter of 3600cp for a cover versus 720cp for a cover. It is a matter of 720cp for a cover versus 3600cp for 180 covers, and all the champion levels and extra rewards and tokens you forfeit for buying a cover directly. 720 CP is still ridiculous, and advancement absolutely needs to be a priority in 2017.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Please read the OP before putting replies in. I know that's not how RNG works, I put a disclaimer in the original post. I was placing a value for cp based on a statistically perfect set of pulls. It could be less, it could be more. Also, please note the quotation marks around the word "guarantee". If you don't use the percentage rates to measure how worthwhile a pull is, assuming a set that is statistically spot on, how are you assigning value? If that's the case, then 720 cp is both always an awful deal because you could've had it for 20 cp, but its also a fantastic deal because you could spend infinite cp without getting the cover. But since I don't base my decisions on Schroedinger's Tokens, I went with in game pull rates. Read more carefully.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the problem is that people are obsessed with getting covers for only a few characters and disregarding everyone else. You're setting yourself up for failure if you can only be happy with 1 very specific thing. Try to enjoy playing with all the characters and stop obsessing with covering that one character you love the most.
  • WelcomeDeath
    bbigler wrote:
    I think the problem is that people are obsessed with getting covers for only a few characters and disregarding everyone else. You're setting yourself up for failure if you can only be happy with 1 very specific thing. Try to enjoy playing with all the characters and stop obsessing with covering that one character you love the most.

It's not obsessing with a specific character, its throwing out duplicate covers, especially those in high rarities. It's stunted progression at a certain level. It's the guys with 20+ champed 4s and no usable 5s (They do exist, you know).
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    bbigler wrote:

People want specific covers because having max covered 5s are what it takes. It doesn't help to have 26 covers for 9 5stars but it's a big step to have 13 for one.
    There's 9 5stars in the classic tokens now, so chances to pull one for the one that's almost max covered are miniscule. D3 needs to adress that. Random progression was bad to start with but it's getting worse the longer it lasts.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I decided to spend 720 CP on a fivestar cover when my Phoenix reached a 5/2/5 build and I already had been forced to sell multiple green covers (seven, maybe? They were plentiful). It hurt a bit, but I think it was the right thing to do in that situation. Since then I have gotten 4 champion levels for her and I don't think any of them have been purple...
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really has gotten to the point where the only viable option to progress is to save 260 pulls for 3 in the Latest.

I have one champed 5* (Phoenix) because I drew a lot when she was in both tokens. I've had to face high level PVP with a champed 4* or my level 405 BSSM. It's been like this for like a half a year. I've been only using CP on Classics, and haven't drawn a single OML cover in that time (and got one from Resupply). I've drawn I think one BSSM in that time.

Basically, my 5* tier development is impossible. I'd need 5 more OML covers or 3 more BSSM covers. In the last month, my Classic pulls have netted me 2 IM and 1 GG cover. Which don't help me at all.

My choice is now:
    - Keep pulling Classics with a 99% chance I won't progress in the 5* tier.
    - Save up to fully cover 3 Latest heroes, which will guarantee NO 5* progress for more than half a year.

I don't track, but suspect I average enough for about 1 Latest pull per day. That's 260 days of saving.

I'm debating sticking to Classics only because all my RNG luck went into 7 Black Bolt covers and he's moving over there soon. IM and GG are still no where close, and OML has been stuck at 7 for ages.

TLDR: Save for 8-9 months while playing more World of Warships?
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Yeah I'm also at the point of 20 Champ 4-stars with no usable 5-stars in sight, I have 7 of them sitting between 7-10 covers, and no real legitimate way of increasing the speed at which I improve them. I'm at the point now where I'm thinking about intentionally stagnating my roster for 12 months and saving up every single commandpoints.png I get until I can pull 325 Latest Legends.

Everything I've heard from players at high level has said that each new 5-star has been better than the one before it (Captain America being the lone exception). Thanos is incredibly good, as is Black Bolt. If I save for a year (I figure 100cp/week from 2/3 star farm + progression every event + Crash + random CP from alliance mates = 325 pulls), I might have a chance at champing all 3 latest legends. In the meantime, I can max and farm every 4* and just stop focusing on the classics bicycle. At that point I just save all my ISO and when the time comes, max and champ all 3 latest legends.

The question is, do I have the willpower to do this, and is it truly worth it at all to play for an entire year of zero 5-star progression? As of right now I have 19 champ 4-stars and no truly usable 5-stars.
  • scottee
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    The question is, do I have the willpower to do this?

That's definitely the problem. 260? Eh, 240's enough. Eh, that rounds to 200. 180 is kinda like 200. Oh, who am I kidding, I should just pull Classics.
  • scottee
    The sad thing is that let's say you do have the discipline to hoard. Let's pretend that of the 260 pulls, 200 are from CP. That'd be 250 Classic pulls. That's an Expected Value of about 4 covers per 5*.

So in all that time, I'd only be expected to go from 1 maxed 5* to 2 maxed 5*s. Or by saving, I could go from 1 to 4.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hang in there... it took me roughly 5 months to save 2000 command points and that netted me 4 oml covers at the time (link to old thread), It's been 6-7 months since and I've saved up another 3100 command points. Almost pull the trigger on purple reign but I changed my mind and may wait till i have enough for latest instead. Another year maybe?

With the 5th oml black coming in daily resupply in a few months, I could spend 2160 to finish him off. But like most have mentioned earlier, the loss of 152 covers will be heartbreaking. Pulling that many classics will most likely get 1 oml (probably black too)
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Pongie wrote:
    Hang in there... it took me roughly 5 months to save 2000 command points and that netted me 4 oml covers at the time (link to old thread), It's been 6-7 months since and I've saved up another 3100 command points. Almost pull the trigger on purple reign but I changed my mind and may wait till i have enough for latest instead. Another year maybe?

With the 5th oml black coming in daily resupply in a few months, I could spend 2160 to finish him off. But like most have mentioned earlier, the loss of 152 covers will be heartbreaking. Pulling that many classics will most likely get 1 oml (probably black too)

Ugh, disheartening.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    yup, i've been saving for ~6 months already

I'm not an elite player and I don't have VIP. I've saved 2100 CP and 49 LT, that puts me at 133/300 LT goal.

At this rate, it'll still be another 6-8 months until I'm able to pull from the LL. Hopefully by then they will have come up with a better way to get 5* or have finally switched over to colorless covers...
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've bought 1 cover since they switched to CP. It was my final Strang3 cover so I could champ him for his PVP. I still don't think that 720CP is a good deal for a 5* cover, but if you're pulling from classics and have covers that could be wasted then it may be a better option than wasting the cover.
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Anyone remember when they cycled three stars in and out of rotation because odds were getting to low. That is the simple solutions to help out with classics. Maybe offer a cover exchange from classic every other season.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Don't forget the value of those 4* champ levels that's you're missing. 100 champ levels have 240 CP, 10 leg tokens, plus lots of ISO and HP.

I also expect them to add 5* essentials and boosted characters at some point, so it may be helpful to have a wide variety of 5's in the future, not just a couple of the best.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still like how rare they are. Make it so everyone has them and has them at full strength is dumb. It should be hard as heck to get them.

The only thing I don't like is how it hurts you in scaling to level them. The fact that it's beneficial to not level a character is stupid. I get excited when I get a 5* cover until I realize I'll never use the character anyway because it renders the rest of my roster useless.