How to beat Galan, aka Galactus

Options
Jabrony_Geoff
Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
Apparently Tis the season of goodwill to all men and women.

With that in mind Team Marvel puzzle quest have decided to throw the planet eating Son of gun Galactus in our direction.

People are downloading MPQ all the time, these people are finding the forum for the first time.

As from tomorrow these heroes and villains are boosted.

12/22/16 - 12/29/16) *New Update*
4* - Venom (Agent Venom), Iceman, Iron Man (Hulkbuster), Nick Fury, Peggy Carter
3* - The Hood, The Hulk (Indestrucible), The Punisher (Dark Reign), Thor (Modern), Vision
2* - Bullseye (Dark Avengers), Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel)
1* - Hawkeye (Classic), Spider-Man (Original)

To help the newcomers still not familiar with moving around the forum, and those facing the planet devourer for the first time.

How do you beat GALACTUS ? ....and with whom?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punisher is a great one to use for any boss since he can instakill anyone below 40% with his red maxed. On early rounds it won't matter much, but in later rounds you can effectively skip 20k+ health.

Hulkbuster will wreck face boosted, so if you have him just put him out there with Iron Fist and let him break Galactus's everything.

In the 3* arena I understand Hulk-bombing (use Hulk + Patch, fire Patch green, let Hulk take damage and cause massive cascades/AP generation) works pretty well for Galactus. You could also use Capt. Marvel and Cyclops as a poor man's Fistbuster.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Easy answer - Ghost Rider penanace stare. Pair him with black boosters - Iron Fist, Dr. Doom, maybe Mystique if you don't have the other two. Bring health packs.

Other than that - anyone with board destruction. From the boosted
    - Hulk green
    - Punisher green
    - Vision red (w/out density, still weak)

You shouldn't restrict yourself to boosted - anyone that can remove those absorption tiles is beneficial and can buy you a turn or two. 3* Storm, Magneto, Beast, 2* magneto (fully covered blue),

On the 4* tier, Iceman is not as useful as usual, as Galactus is immune to stun. I don't know if Peggy will short his power - if so, it buys you maybe a turn. Hulkbuster's punch can do some serious damage, but you need to bring someone along to expedite it. 3* Cyc is the only one that comes to mind. 3* Cpt Marvel, would fill this roll if she's tanking, but with HB she's probably only tanking yellow if they're both champed.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A Winfinite / Tile Destruction Team is best: ProfX, GSBW, SWitch - OR - XFW, Magneto, Loki - OR - Hulk, KK, 2*Storm

A Board Control team could work too: Quicksilver, Star Lord, Switch = Switch generates purple for Sleight of Hand to cover up 3 CD tiles, QS Idle Hands can match CD tiles too

A Retaliation team could work I think: 4*Deadpool, Capt Marvel, OML/Patch = tank with Logan or Marvel to trigger Deadpool, add Strike tiles

An AP Drain Team could work I think: She Hulk, Cho, KK = generate 12 to 18 green to use Furious Charge repeatedly until his Black AP pool is back to 0.

An AP Theft Team could work I think: Hood, Wasp, Iron Fist = add black tiles so that Hood and Wasp always steal Black from Galactus.

An airborne team might work: Nova, Cyclops, IMHB = use IMHB and Cyclops to produce red for Nova to constantly throw Galactus airborne (I believe he can be thrown)

A Bagman team might work! (this would be an epic win if it works): Bagman, Kingpin, Switch = Switch produces Blue and Purple, Kingpin uses Purple to produce Yellow, Bagman uses Yellow to increase countdown tiles, Bagman uses Blue to lock CD tiles. This should stall for a long time so you can kill him with match damage.

What doesn't work:
    Stunning - Galactus is immune to stun
    Invisibility - Galactus' board destruction and AOE will laugh at you
    Nick Fury's Demolition - Galactus does not match tiles
    Peggy Carter's Legendary Presence - does not increase 28 AP Devourer of Worlds power beyond 30 AP
    StarLord's Everyone with Me - does not trigger on Galactus' passive abilities to generate AP
    Dr Strange's Flames of the Faltine - does not trigger on Galactus' passive abilities to generate AP
  • Karabraxos
    Karabraxos Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    bbigler wrote:

What doesn't work:

Nick Fury's Demolition - Galactus does not match tiles

Thank you for the great post icon_e_smile.gif

Just a little correction. Galactus doesn't match tiles, but Countdown tiles going off can cause matches. It is a long shot but possible
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Because my memory fails me when it comes to remembering what worked in previous runs, I was hoping to start a conversation of best practices when it comes to this event.

All I really remember is:
    - deny black
    - match the cosmic tiles
    - board shakers - good

Things I can think of that would be helpful:
    - bring Peggy along for the ride

Questions I have:
    - does he match tiles?
    - is black his strong tile or does it default to the top color because they are all the same strength?

Please, add to this list, answer, disperse of your vast knowledge and experience. Also, I want to link this post for my relatively young alliance mates.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    matthatter wrote:

Things I can think of that would be helpful:
    - bring Peggy along for the ride
    Nope
    - Powers that increase the amount of AP required to activate a power will no longer increase it beyond the maximum AP a character can have.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    - Powers that increase the amount of AP required to activate a power will no longer increase it beyond the maximum AP a character can have.

Didn't they lower the 30 AP requirement to fire off his kill them all power on the last run though?

I ask, as my aforementioned memory fails me.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hulk with 5 green, kk with 3 green, professor x with five blue.

That one is good once countdown do enough damage to trigger your hulk. Before that, almost any team can be effective.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am not sure if icon_galactus.png could be sent airborne (I doubt so)
    so I will go for icon_ghostrider.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_ironfist.png

Asap you get enough damage , Penance Stare will end the battle icon_twisted.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    matthatter wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

Didn't they lower the 30 AP requirement to fire off his kill them all power on the last run though?

I ask, as my aforementioned memory fails me.
    Yes, to 28. Peggy will likely not even get you 1 extra turn
  • royalflush95
    royalflush95 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm using GSBW (4/4/5), Iron Man and Punisher. All of them 3 star.png. It works well, however, in later rounds, boosts may be needed.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,141 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So far, X-Force Wolverine and Iron First as a black generator. Surgical Strike is an absolute monster with a boosted XFW.

Would Invisible Woman's reworked Invisibility save your other two team members? She's the only one that is invisible due to a tile on the board.
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm amazed that OBW isn't mentioned. She's always my go-to vs Galactus, increasing those countdowns so the Big G has nothing to absorb. And then stealing AP quite often

You can't go wrong with OBW, Hulk, Mohawk, even in those later rounds. Use Mohawks Green, and it becomes nearly winfiite.
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If Gwenpool sends her own teammates airborne, would they survive G's black?
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Very good question, however I'm going to Say no as the planet eaters black ends the current game.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As others have said, IF / boosted XFW works great. I'm also loving boosted 4*Cyke / IM40. Note: Cyke's blue does not gather cosmic tiles.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just tried the airborne team, Rocket Man has no effect.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Elektra might become handy too. I was thinking maybe using Elektra and IronFist then maybe Hulkbuster for maximum effect + defense.
  • johnmcclane
    Options

Very good question, however I'm going to Say no as the planet eaters black ends the current game.
    IIRC from the last Galactus rush being airborne saves you - not sure though
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Funnily enough, I've been using Xforce Wolverine, 3 star Cyclops, and 2 star Black Widow to great success.

Wolverine black is enough to end the fight if I get to fire it. Widow will steal purple and blue on match, and her blue of course can stall the fight considerably, and since galactus gets all colors, her purple can steal enough for your other abilities.
    Cyclops yellow into red is as basic of a combo as you can get, and it's just as effective against Galactus as any one else. Wolverine green is respectable damage and great board shake, often resulting in 3 or 4 matches.

At very high rounds I may have to change it up, but so far this combo has resulted in a win every time, and I take almost no damage.