Galactus Hungers.. Reward Concerns

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Galactus Hungers starts in two days. It would be great if we knew what the Reward structure will be. Both Galactus and Ultron Boss Events had Alliance Progression rewards, while Boss Rush switched to Alliance Placement rewards like a standard PVE. Although most players complained about Boss Rush's difficulty, my main complaint was the rewards.

No matter how difficult Galactus and Ultron events were (especially the first runs!), it was important that I continued to contribute because it affected my Alliance. We had to work together as a team if we wanted to earn the big rewards. Whereas, Boss Rush simply changed it to Alliance Placement and Single Placement rewards within the Alliance. I did not care for the Single Placement rewards as it did not make us more competitive within the Alliance, and the Alliance Placement rewards were well sad.. Mohawk covers! No Thanks. I stopped caring mid-way through.. I could have endured the high difficulty but what would be the point? Sure my points allowed us to reach the higher Rounds faster but the rewards did not equal the amount of work involved like Ultron and Galactus' previous runs. I did not enjoy the Personal Progression Rounds to earn the big rewards. I hope we receive information on the rewards scheme for Galactus Hungers before it appears on my cell phone.

Feel free to share your thoughts below. Remember, the devs are listening icon_e_biggrin.gif

For those curious on the past rewards to compare the difference:

Galactus Hungers:
https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38918&hilit=Galactus+Hungers

Boss Rush
https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53225&hilit=Boss+Rush

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    What about the simple fact that this will be an event that ends on Christmas day for most of the world's population. Great planning Demiurge.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't like events that make you compete against your own alliance. That's not teamwork! That's every man for himself attitude. I do like events that take your combined alliance totals to unlock or give you certain rewards - that is teamwork.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    And as a friendly reminder: Boss Rush had an altered scoring scheme that made everything completely individual.

But the splash screen describing the event expressly called it an "alliance event" where the player had to work with their team members to get as far as they could.

Obviously mistakes happen, and this was just a tiny part of the clusterfuck that was boss rush. But it's also an easy part to fix. And it would be great if we knew what to expect.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    WHat about the simple fact that this will be an event that ends on Christmas day for most of the world's population. Great planning Demiurge.

Don't you know that MPQ is supposed to envelop your entire life, leaving no room for less important things, such as social events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, child birth, college graduation, weddings, medical emergencies, etc.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    WHat about the simple fact that this will be an event that ends on Christmas day for most of the world's population. Great planning Demiurge.
    It's OK, by the last day scaling will have stopped most people playing anyway.............
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    With a few major holidays coming this weekend it looks like the Dev's wanted to give us a gift of a more limited run of an event that players (eventually) enjoyed.

However this once again shows their limited optics. To get anything worthwhile out of this type of event you have to dedicate major time to playing segmented across multiple rounds a day. This type of time commitment is more unreasonable around major holidays. This reminds me of how they never tested Boss Rush with high level rosters.

I'm not sure they realize how much play is required in the Galactus event to reap any decent rewards.

Some people will say "Just don't play" (and I'm not going to) but I don't think the Dev's intention is to release an event that they expect player to avoid playing.

It just seems out of touch.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    bbigler wrote:

Don't you know that MPQ is supposed to envelop your entire life, leaving no room for less important things, such as social events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, child birth, college graduation, weddings, medical emergencies, etc.
    i hope they compliment their plan with a fitting reward structure.
    and scaline, of course.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    What about the simple fact that this will be an event that ends on Christmas day for most of the world's population. Great planning Demiurge.
    How Galactus Stole Christmas

No hearts will grow
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'm operating under the assumption that they're running Galactus because they haven't had time to tweak Boss Rush significantly, and that Galactus will operate pretty similar to previous runs, in terms of alliance structure, etc.

I'm also not concerned about the event running on Christmas Eve/Day, because (unless they went out of their way to completely change the reward structure) many alliances will be 90-100% to max progression by late Saturday, and (as mentioned above) scaling will be so high by Sunday that many others will have gone as far as they can go. Thursday-Saturday is typically where the meat of the gameplay is for boss events.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor

Yep. This is going to be the first Alliance/Boss event that I'm not going to play properly. Not going to choose MPQ over my kids.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards

You've been around since the beginning, you know they DGAF about family and holidays and all that normal life stuff.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    As for general holiday release, it's really hard for us to move things around for specific holidays since we release characters every 2 weeks. Especially with something that lasts multiple days, it can throw off release plans that have to be pushed around due to Marvel publishing tie-ins. So what we do instead is just to stay completely holiday agnostic. We'll tie in to a holiday if it makes sense, but we don't actively seek out holidays to tie into. It also saves us headaches with trying to tie things in to world holidays.

From a private message from IceX in September of 2015 when I asked him about holiday releases.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    As for general holiday release, it's really hard for us to move things around for specific holidays since we release characters every 2 weeks. Especially with something that lasts multiple days, it can throw off release plans that have to be pushed around due to Marvel publishing tie-ins. So what we do instead is just to stay completely holiday agnostic. We'll tie in to a holiday if it makes sense, but we don't actively seek out holidays to tie into. It also saves us headaches with trying to tie things in to world holidays.

From a private message from IceX in September of 2015 when I asked him about holiday releases.

Lemme guess; he was asked about why things coincide with holidays, why not try to avoid them, and he answered instead as if he was asked the opposite, why not try to align with ("tie in to") them.

He is of course, correct. The only viable strategy is to have no regard for any holidays.

All that said they have quite a history of lining things up with major US holidays icon_lol.gif

Hi IceIX. I was wondering if you could bring up release dates for new characters falling out on holidays with the team. For example, it appears that Silver Surfer's release date falls out on Rosh Hashanah. As a Jew, I can't play the game at all on that holiday. While Labor day weekend I can still play, I can't play on a huge religious holiday like that. I am sure for Christians, releases on Christmas are not wanted. Do you think you can see about adjusting the release date of Silver Surfer by just a couple days? Or even going forward, ask the team to take out a calendar that has religious holidays, so all the major ones don't have releases right on them. I know nothing will probably be done about this, but it would be great if it was at least considered, so all players can feel included.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards

As opposed to what, doing nothing on/for Christmas at all?

This year is infinitely better than last year. Especially with a Boss event (which doesn't have the typical PVE refresh cycle, making it easier to play "when you want" during the day).

I mean, I'm going to miss a chunk of this event too (with extended family gatherings and traveling, I'll miss more on the 24th than on the 25th). And I've got alliance members that are probably going to miss one of the holiday events as well. But all of the play I can manage to get in is going to increase the rewards my alliance gets when the event ends on Christmas, and that's pretty sweet.

I would agree. This IS great planning. An improvement over last year, too.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    You know what would be nice?

A bunch of small events we could play casually, without regard to timers and refreshes over major holidays like this. It would really help keep the playerbase engaged during these periods.

I'm hoping Crash of the Mad Titan fits into this, being what sounds like a reskinned DDQ that resets every day. The Gauntlet would have been perfect (and Thanos themed, pardon the pun icon_razz.gif)

Alliance locked boss events don't quite meet that criterion.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Guessing here but since Thanos is being released i would bet 3* Thanos to be the reward for completing R5-7. A legendary token for R8 (and another at max personal progress reward) with a 10% chance of 5* Thanos.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    galactus hungers starts in 2 days? shouldn't i be seeing an icon for the event?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:
    galactus hungers starts in 2 days? shouldn't i be seeing an icon for the event?

No. Boss events don't have previews like normal events. And it'll start that day at noon EST (or when the second slice starts, not at 7am EST when the first slice would normally start). On re-runs of Boss events we usually don't see anything until right when it goes live (the very first run of Galactus Hungers had a 7-day countdown teaser, for example).
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Will there be Shield Clearance Levels for boss events? There aren't placement rewards, but maybe they could make it easier for weaker alliances to get more rewards? I guess I don't know how scaling works for boss events, but I think they can make some improvements based on how the rest of the game has progressed. I'm fairly confident that this will not have boss rush's placement rewards. I think they could do both placement within the alliance but progression working together, which is how they sold it as. Either way, I'm looking forward to it and the new Thanos clash. My roster has improved a lot since the last galactus, wonder how I'll do.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    SOMETHING would be running during Christmas day and y'all would have complained about it regardless, whether it was beginning, ending or in the middle, someone would **** about it so what's the point.

They couldn't just NOT run anything because then the dumpster fire would be about NOT running something and how d3 is oppressive and obviously only cares about Christian based holidays.

As far as rewards. I'm sure just like the last few events the rewards will be posted in here by the community manager and it will run just like all the other Galactus events and be an alliance team event.

Chill out sip some egg nog and relax. YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING