Retaliations after tanking

Options
Do you think it's morally acceptable to fight against (and win of course) all those who beat your tanking team?

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I did it once in a LR and felt dirty and wrong.
  • locked wrote:
    I did it once in a LR and felt dirty and wrong.

Aw come on...In a LR???? That's even worse, shame on you! You should stop by at the Church of Patches to cleanse yourself....
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When you tank, you tank. When you fight, you fight. There's no in-between. If you start tanking a tourney, be sure to tank your butt into oblivion, not change your mind midway through. There's a special cauldron in hell for those who retaliate after their tank team loses. Playing a Lightning Round this way is both unethical and disgusting, may the wrath of a thousand Bag-Men strike those who do so!
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    GumisK wrote:
    When you tank, you tank. When you fight, you fight. There's no in-between. If you start tanking a tourney, be sure to tank your butt into oblivion, not change your mind midway through.

What about tanking at the begginig of a tournament,for a day or two, and then skiping all the retaliations and start fighting then?
    GumisK wrote:
    may the wrath of a thousand Bag-Men strike those who do so!
    Hahahahaha!!God, I'm scared sh**less......I think I have to change underwear....!!!
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I'm sorry for my sin. I just couldn't resist the lure of 3* tokens.
    And Shield training is always available for tanking unlike LRs.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Seems awfully counterproductive to tank to reduce your MMR and then go on to retaliate to increase your MMR. Only rational reason to do so would be for easy iso farming purposes - in that case I wouldn't call it morally wrong either.
  • locked wrote:
    Shield training is always available for tanking unlike LRs.

For what I've seen, tanking in Shield training, isn't very efficient. I have put a tank team there for 2,5 weeks and I've only been hit twice.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Nemesis, you need to retreat a bunch, that's all. It literally takes very little to tank yourself to the level of seeing 1* teams (of course doing so doesn't help you progress well in a PvP since worthy opponents with points get hard to come by).
  • kidicarus wrote:
    Only rational reason to do so would be for easy iso farming purposes - in that case I wouldn't call it morally wrong either.

Ok, but think of that: Someone beat your tank team with their maxed team. Their maxed team though, isn't very strong, like IM35 lvl35, mStorm lvl32 and mBW lvl20, which means tank teams are like what they expect to earn some points to progress. So you're actually depriving them the chance to go on, just to farm 170 iso max? I think that's what Hawkeye is waiting for round the corner, to put a moral arrow through your tinnykitty..........
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ^ Thankfully that did never happen to me, I feel bad enough beating on 1* teams after accidentally tanking too much. I'm even winning in Shield training now too, it's ISO and helps adjust my rating which seems quite adequate at the moment.
  • locked wrote:
    Nemesis, you need to retreat a bunch, that's all. It literally takes very little to tank yourself to the level of seeing 1* teams (of course doing so doesn't help you progress well in a PvP since worthy opponents with points get hard to come by).

That's what I need to do, so I can beat a team with my tank team right? What I meant is I've already beaten a team whit my tank and now I want to be hit by them, to lower my MMR. Which opossing to do so at a tournament or a lightning round isn's as good (or quick).
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I dunno, retreating 6-8 times with your least used characters (until they are dead) takes little time.
  • locked wrote:
    I dunno, retreating 6-8 times with your least used characters (until they are dead) takes little time.

Aw sorry, now I get it...I don't have to be beaten, retreating does the trick....
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nemesis wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    Only rational reason to do so would be for easy iso farming purposes - in that case I wouldn't call it morally wrong either.

Ok, but think of that: Someone beat your tank team with their maxed team. Their maxed team though, isn't very strong, like IM35 lvl35, mStorm lvl32 and mBW lvl20, which means tank teams are like what they expect to earn some points to progress. So you're actually depriving them the chance to go on, just to farm 170 iso max? I think that's what Hawkeye is waiting for round the corner, to put a moral arrow through your tinnykitty..........

Isn't that the side effect of tanking though? Whether it's the tournament that you're tanking in or another one that you're actually trying to win in, the whole idea behind reducing your MMR is so you get teams which are at a disadvantage against you in terms of rosters. So we're helping keep their MMR low until they get stronger. Circle of life and all that. And also, hawkeye's arrows seem to come with a countdown timer, all the better to do those quick hit and runs on those 1* rosters!
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A bit off topic but is it really efficient to tank in shield training? Because with all the alliance based rewards its becoming difficult to tank pvp.. Even if the covers are not interesting..
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I'm told that at some point tanking stops being efficient, but if you can field several teams of maxed lvl 141s, I doubt you need any tanking at all. Any 2* getting into the solid 3* land can tank in Shield training with success. You don't want to overdo it though, and it usually isn't required often.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks locked for the explanation..
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nemesis wrote:
    Do you think it's morally acceptable to fight against (and win of course) all those who beat your tanking team?
    All's fair in love and PvP.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Nemesis wrote:

I've never slingshotted an LR for Iso, but I do beat up on a number of 1* teams in PvP due to MMR tanking (for reference, I run a 3xL85 team). I kinda feel bad about it, vut in the end, my own progression wins out over the short-term feelings of a procession of completely unknown names. Also, once I hit 700 in PvP, i get pummeled by 3xL141 teams, so there's some balance.

I'm wire confused by the opposite situation, though. In a LR earlier, a 1* team actually attacked/retaliated against me (and lost). I can't fathom why a 1* team with a loaner special would ever fight L102 LThor + max OBW + L60ish Doom.
  • I mostly skip retaliations if I open a pvp event tanking, but sometimes the points are too alluring.

Putting up a tank team at the start of a two day works fine for lowering MMR before you get serious. The downside isn't mmr related. It's that your tank team will still be in some peoples queues when you start climbing, and you might take some hits from that.