More 3*s. Pros and cons?

Comments

• SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    more 3's are good but thanos sounds like sentry with more damage to everyone
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely a pro.

For a relatively new player (compared to most in the forum, I guess), I can attest that I have been in 3* land for the most part of my 1st year playing, slowly building my roster and championing 3* has been the joy of my gameplay experience. I am now transitioning to 4* but I will be using boosted 3* for foreseeable future.

And that would be the perspective of new players. What use a single cover 5* for new players, or even 4*? That would only mess with their scaling. Having had to sell not one but three 5* covers way back when, I know from experience that giving 4* and 5* characters for new players are like poisoning their rosters. How many new players are having a tough time now that they can get 4* or even 5* from events but then their scaling goes mad? I'm glad that new players would get more 3* PCs to play with.

There are of course, players in 2* land who have already acquired 3/more covers for Bolt or the newer 5* and they can go far in PVP with lv 300+ 5* in their team. But in PVE, I guess their experience is far from satisfactory.

So, having more 3* PCs is a win for both newer players and the devs. I guess that's the target of the current Strange and Thanos model of presenting a lazy 3* version to the new 5* introduced.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Personally I don't see a problem with this approach, as I know that introducing a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png or higher is fairly difficult to get them fully covered & viable to use in contrast to a star.pngstar.pngstar.png
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2016
    Pro, though definitely more for the PVE oriented. It’s a non issue if you’re mainly PVP, you’d be spending your ISO elsewhere anyway. But at least in PVE it presents a new way to play around with, even if its just in the trivial nodes, and that goes a long way when you’re grinding.

But it needs to stay all new characters, like Strange or Thanos. No more variants in the 3* range, like another Spider-man, Cap America or Hulk. That includes different characters from the comics who have the same basic powers of an existing character, like say Scarlet Spider or Bucky Barnes as Captain America.

Let the new 3*’s be for Marvel universe weirdos, like Mysterio, Man-Thing, Disco version Dazzler or (god help me, but I’m making a point) Darkhawk. Niche appeal is the only way you’re going to make a 4* or above player look back anyway.

If it just ends up being another way to sell another Iron Man or Wolverine (yeah, yeah, no more mutants, blah blah), then it becomes a con.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    veny wrote:
    So please, try to understand the perspective of others.

Well, that's rich! Was thinking, "damn, veny putting together a consice & compelling argument". Then you put in that closing statement.

So players who can't gain CP or LT's or whale to get a 5* don't deserve to have a 3* version of the character because it slows *your* progression down?
    What? I am among them lol - i dont have any useful 5* except for OML (i got my first 5* Iron Man few days ago btw.).
    I dont know why should they want 3* version of him - yes, he is unique, but i bet he could be replaced by at least dozen better 3*.
    I am sure there may be some players who want 3* version, i will also buy him and try to champ him, knowing that it will cost me tons of ISO and HPs and potential rewards from championing already promoted 3*s. Just... i dont know, his presence wont help me to be better, to have powerful roster, it only slows me down.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    My problem with releasing new 3* is that it only makes the back end of my roster any different. If they made 4* only slightly easier to obtain, at least at higher shield levels, then they could just keep releasing 4*. I think they release new 3* to distract us from bigger problems. They are fairly easy to obtain, so we are happier than when a 4* is released and we can't fully cover them for a year. The means of obtaining anything higher than a 3* needs to be tweaked.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    The pool is plenty diluted already. Thats what the vaults are for. I think they should use vaults for 4*s. Only 4*s in it, no iso or hp rewards. Cost cp to open. Take some randomness out of RNG. There are 43 4*s, and 129 different covers if colorless never happens. How great would it be to see that pool cut down some?
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    more 3's are good but thanos sounds like sentry with more damage to everyone

Ewww. I really should just pass on both versions. * Rolls a will save *
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow people are earning 1000 hp in 3 days.

if thats not hyperbole it sounds like HP sales just tanked. icon_rolleyes.gif

also yeah 3 star thanos is already not very good if https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uplo ... tDeath.jpg remains as it is.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Very pro the way they appear to be doing it.

Strange is a huge game accelerator for people in the 3* world and in the 3*-4* transition zone. With a champed Strange along for the ride, you can zip through your four clears of goon-based nodes with ease and much more quickly, which maximizes the benefits from your time played, and makes it quicker and easier to hit your PvE progression targets in every event. And he's a decent defensive pick for PvE for 3* teams, too.

We'll see how Thanos shakes out -- right now, it doesn't look (to me) like we'll see the same gameplay-beneficial impact from him that Strange gives us. (There's too much Carnage in his skillset.) He might be a 3* PvP defensive tank. We'll see when his stats get released.

But if Strange -- who is clearly a sop to the playerbase -- is any indication of future progress, I'm all for this.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whaaaat? How can Thanos be a 3*? That's ludicrous. He's a Titan. A mad god who's been known to wield the infinity gauntlet and seduce Death. And he's got a version on the same power tier as the Punisher?

Sorry, that's a personal sticking point for me. I know it's a game and the larger fiction isn't all that important to the mechanics.

To the point - as a newly transitioning 4* player, I don't like the inclusion of more 3*. They told us that tier was finished, and as such I maxed out all of them and considered it done. More 3* at my stage are an obligation. Something I have to roster so I have them for essentials. I'm not going to use any new 3* in a competitive format if I'm not forced to. Just one more little way to drain Iso and a roster slot.

For the health of the game, I can see it being beneficial. Stagnant tiers aren't all that much fun. For a newer player, I could see new 3* being enticing enough to keep playing, and maybe even spend.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    They'll need to add 3 more in order to get it back into a proper rotation.

They could stop right here and make it a 6 or 7 day cycle instead of 5.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    They'll need to add 3 more in order to get it back into a proper rotation.

They could stop right here and make it a 6 or 7 day cycle instead of 5.

I'd be fine with that only if they did Titan's twice per cycle.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Calnexin wrote:
    Whaaaat? How can Thanos be a 3*? That's ludicrous. He's a Titan. A mad god who's been known to wield the infinity gauntlet and seduce Death. And he's got a version on the same power tier as the Punisher?

Sorry, that's a personal sticking point for me. I know it's a game and the larger fiction isn't all that important to the mechanics.

To the point - as a newly transitioning 4* player, I don't like the inclusion of more 3*. They told us that tier was finished, and as such I maxed out all of them and considered it done. More 3* at my stage are an obligation. Something I have to roster so I have them for essentials. I'm not going to use any new 3* in a competitive format if I'm not forced to. Just one more little way to drain Iso and a roster slot.

For the health of the game, I can see it being beneficial. Stagnant tiers aren't all that much fun. For a newer player, I could see new 3* being enticing enough to keep playing, and maybe even spend.

I suppose you have an issue with Black Widow being a 5* star then? (since she has no supernatural powers?) The game mechanics are more important than it making sense. They could release Jonah Jameson as the 1st 6* and I wouldn't care (but it would be really funny).
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because the game has required 3* characters for most events, adding a new 3* forces everyone to spend the HP and ISO to roster them and level them up, otherwise, they are going to miss out on rewards or at least have a disadvantage by using the 1/1/1 provided version. So, in light of that, please slow down the release of new characters.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Wow people are earning 1000 hp in 3 days.

if thats not hyperbole it sounds like HP sales just tanked. icon_rolleyes.gif

also yeah 3 star thanos is already not very good if https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uplo ... tDeath.jpg remains as it is.

SCL8 - top 100 pve sub individual 100 (300 for 3 day event total), 3-4 day event total placement reward 100. Alliance 100. Progression reward 150 total. So from PvE alone in a 3-4 day event, you get about 650 HP. PvP 25 hp for top 100 individual, 100 for top 100 alliance, 100 progression for total of 300 more HP from PvP every 3 days. 950 HP total from just PvP and PvE, ignoring that many people are adding lots of champion covers for another 100 or so HP a day. Add in shield intercepts for another 50-100 a day maybe, or 150-300 in 3 days. So you will see over 1300 HP in a 3-4 day period if you play 2-4 hours a day. Hardcore will see even more.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Strange is a huge game accelerator for people in the 3* world and in the 3*-4* transition zone. With a champed Strange along for the ride, you can zip through your four clears of goon-based nodes with ease and much more quickly, which maximizes the benefits from your time played, and makes it quicker and easier to hit your PvE progression targets in every event. And he's a decent defensive pick for PvE for 3* teams, too.

We'll see how Thanos shakes out -- right now, it doesn't look (to me) like we'll see the same gameplay-beneficial impact from him that Strange gives us. (There's too much Carnage in his skillset.) He might be a 3* PvP defensive tank. We'll see when his stats get released.

They did mention 3* thanos having high match damage with one of his abilities (150%). Perhaps, he will be what the 3* roster need to combat 4* and 5*.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,687 Chairperson of the Boards
    I LOVE more 3*s. The only thing I don't love is how the 5* version is basically a more powerful clone. I feel that 5* characters should be special and ultra rare. They should have awesome animations and sweet powers that only occur at that level. The 3* version here makes the 5* version less special.

But that's a minor quibble. I've loved 3* Strange. While I see the argument for just making some of the current 3* characters more usable/balanced, this accomplishes that and has a novelty factor I enjoy. But I'm the guy who loves ultra deep rosters.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or the 3 star is a less powerful 5 star clone.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Pro ... a larger base to generate champ rewards from. When it comes to working on 4*s and 5*s, players need all the help they can get.

Pro ... another 3* born at a later point in the power cree—er, evolution of character design helps the 3* tier keep up.
    Would it be better if they reworked more characters more often to keep more current? If done well, sure.
    Will that happen at the current rework pace? Not even close.

Neutral note: many players are very casual and will never progress into 4*s or serious PvP play. If you're primarily / solely a PvE player, you could stay in 3* land (or even 2* land) forever. Why not? If you just like playing occasionally, it's fine.

IMO, new 3*s are more good than harm ... because there is no harm. If feeling harmed, take a step back, catch some air.

Well, it *would* be fine, but the problem is that even if a 3* player decides to hang out there without developing his 4*s, the issue of 5*s will become an issue. The 3* tier is gradually becoming more and more populated with players who have a bunch of poorly-covered 5*s dominating the top of their roster, to the point where those characters are actually becoming more useful than their 3*s. The 4* tier is getting totally skipped.

I see this in my matchmaking: I almost never see 4*s, but once the seeds teams are finished in a pvp, the bulk of teams I see are level 300-330 5*s with all their colors at 1-3 covers. I don't have any characters that can compete with that, at all, but that's what's happening to the 3* tier. The number of players who are committed 3* players is dwindling, as most of them get dragged straight into a world of badly-covered 5*s instead of the 4* metagame.