More 3*s. Pros and cons?

Comments

• DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    xKOBALTx wrote:
    I think they added another 3* so DDQ isn't an odd number.

They'll need to add 3 more in order to get it back into a proper rotation.
    Nope. DDQ started before they ever got to 40 characters and the nice 8 x 5 rotation. They always just added on to the end like Strange was recently. It can be an odd number, an even number, no way divisible by 5, etc. The next rotation will just pick up where previous one ends.

Technically even the 8 x 5 rotations that most people are used to aren't perfect if you look at them a little closer. How? The start of DDQ way back when was Black Panther. If you paid attention to the last set you would notice that Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision and the newly added Strange were all awarding the second cover. But what did Black Panther reward? The third cover, because he's the start of the new rotation. That changeover in the middle of a set is a relic of how these rotations have worked since the beginning.

DDQ has not, does not, and will never need a specific amount of characters for its rotation to work.

I wasn't saying the rotation didn't work, I was just saying they need to add 3 to make it a multiple of 5 so we have a proper rotation again.

And honestly, I don't really care if it is a multiple of 5 or not, as yes, it does in fact rotate through all the characters.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,001 Chairperson of the Boards
    Definitely pro adding more villains to the roster at whatever tier they want. Overall the roster slot cost isn't really an issue for me since they added intercepts I am outpacing my HP needs by a large margin even with the 2 releases per month.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I firmly agree that concentrating on the 4* and 5* tiers only is frustrating to new or casual players who may never get a chance to get 13 covers for any of the newer released characters - with every new release, the Legendary Token pool dilutes further. These characters are massively hyped, and yet remain practically inaccessible.

Someone floated an interesting idea above: do the developers like that they're creating character after character with little prospect of anyone except whales or veterans using them effectively for six months to a year?
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I don't mind them doing this every so often I really hope they don't make a habit of releasing every 5* with a lazy 3* variant.
    I'm down with it for Thanos and Strange, but if the next 3 or 4 5*'s come out with a lazy 3* variant that's going to get old fast.
    If they give the 2 characters different skill/powersets. Then I would have no complaints.
  • drag0n41
    drag0n41 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Would the Devs look at changing the DDQ to 14 sets of 3, this way we can get a more frequent clash as it would run every 3 days rather than every 5.

Right now for XFwolverine it will be almost a year between his 2 clashes. With 41 4* characters it takes 205 right now for each clash to be re-run. At one every 3 days that number drops to 123 days, still lots.

I think would be an easy way to keep the DDQ running, you can also keep each 3* character in the same set of taco tokens as they were before. This could still help the lower end rosters, as they can horde tokens to get specific characters.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2016
    I have 30+ cover championed 3*s and they still sit on the bench unless they are being used as support or a required character.

The damage/AP ratio on three star characters is so low compared to non-boosted 4*s/5*s that a new 3* doesn't intrigue me at all unless they are a pure support AP generation type.

A 3* like Strange is alright for beating up on goons with his passive, so long as the rest of the damage comes from match damage with a 5* (and strike tiles to boost such passive and match damage)and AP damage from a boosted 4*.

Strange, OML, and Iron Fist for example can be decent against goons, as all of the damage is going to come from boosting the passive damage from Strange and IF's attack tile, while OML tanks and regenerates. That team can do 0 damage from actual AP use and wipe out the opposition with passive damage.

SW/Medusa/Carnage are similar. A Boosted Medusa can turn all those attack tiles generated by goon abilities into thousands of damage per turn + healing. It all comes down to counterattacks. Unfortunately, there is no true healing, so that team eats healthpacks a bit quickly.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not thrilled with another 3*. I wasn't thrilled with Strange either, but now I use him constantly.

Pros:
    - Could be a really solid character like Strange was.
    - Gives something for newer player/casuals to fight for in the events (which I suspect is why they are doing it)

Cons:
    - Lengthens the grind in an area it shouldn't be lengthened any further.
    - Widens the gap between each new 3* cover from DDQ and other rewards, further slowing the grind.
    - Even if he is a better character, wouldn't it be better to rework the broken ones we already have vs making us feel like suckers for championing them in the first place.
    - Why is progression trying to go both up and out?? This might make more sense if it was 5*/4*, but adding more 3* makes no sense.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The more they introduce, the more it seems the star system just isn't very good overall.
    If stars were purely rareness maybe

But stars are tied too deeply with power as it stands.

It'd be different if I was a huge fan of classic storm, became dedicated and champed her to comparable 4 star strength with hundreds of covers.

Right now all I see is stars as hard power limits and poor methods of distribution.
    This dilutes the tiers, and makes even more copies of the same characters in the game that already has 3/4 versions of some characters with more on the way.

Regardless of how useful this new 3 star is, he won't be more than an essential to people for a few weeks, (months for a ton) and will still be by default less powerful then most 4 stars.

it's conflicting and more releases is making this all really apparent.
  • GurlBYE
    CNash wrote:
    I firmly agree that concentrating on the 4* and 5* tiers only is frustrating to new or casual players who may never get a chance to get 13 covers for any of the newer released characters - with every new release, the Legendary Token pool dilutes further. These characters are massively hyped, and yet remain practically inaccessible.

Someone floated an interesting idea above: do the developers like that they're creating character after character with little prospect of anyone except whales or veterans using them effectively for six months to a year?
    The better solution the the problem of people not being able to use characters created would be to change the leveling system drastically for covers in general
    OR
    make 4's and 5's more obtainable

But once again the star system shows its weakness.

And the developers don't comment on the length of time for progress for i'm guessing the suspected reasons.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    It seems to me rushing players through lower tiers to get to the current meta moves the game perpetually upward, with 6 stars coming soon and 7 stars and 8 stars on the horizon. I hope they're brainstorming other ways to keep the game going.

I want three stars to be relevant for some aspects of gameplay. I like those characters and don't want to shelve them. I'm happy they are giving us more, and I hope they'll give us a reason to want them.

DDQ makes Juggernaut useful and makes it worthwhile to have a team or two of two stars. More events like that might be one way to reward a broad roster.
  • GurlBYE
    Spiritclaw wrote:
    It seems to me rushing players through lower tiers to get to the current meta moves the game perpetually upward, with 6 stars coming soon and 7 stars and 8 stars on the horizon. I hope they're brainstorming other ways to keep the game going.

I want three stars to be relevant for some aspects of gameplay. I like those characters and don't want to shelve them. I'm happy they are giving us more, and I hope they'll give us a reason to want them.

DDQ makes Juggernaut useful and makes it worthwhile to have a team or two of two stars. More events like that might be one way to reward a broad roster.
    There are only but so many ways to keep them useful without being annoying

Weakening 4 and 5's (which isn't realistic)
    Dumping stars and coming up with new ways to power up characters past their old "star" levels.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Spiritclaw wrote:

I think that was why a lot of people enjoyed Combined Arms. Instead they just ran BFFs again which by contrast was almost universally complained about.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    5s wrecked this game for various reasons and the devs have never been able to properly address their impact.

So while 3strange is one of my favorite 3s now, getting more lazy variants doesn't address the problems facing the game and new players. It perhaps adds to them for many reasons previously stated.

Personally, I think it beyond time to drop the one star tier. Either retire those characters or rework them into the 2 star tier to keep them relevant and feed 3 star covers/rewards. Basically, rework the tier system so that we're back to 1-4 star level of play again.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm trying hard not to be jaded or cynical, but it's not easy. Another 3* is just an Iso sink in the short term and a reward source in the long term. Outside of their eventual essential nodes in Story events or Taco Thing they'll never be used. Even then, 5* make them almost totally irrelevant. I guess I'm ambivalent. We know they're going to keep churning out new characters until the game stops so I don't see the point of debating it.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    So please, try to understand the perspective of others.

Well, that's rich! Was thinking, "damn, veny putting together a consice & compelling argument". Then you put in that closing statement.

So players who can't gain CP or LT's or whale to get a 5* don't deserve to have a 3* version of the character because it slows *your* progression down?
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    I am a 787 daily player so not just a kind of a beginner icon_e_smile.gif but I can say that I like more star.pngstar.pngstar.png character released because in a few weeks I can champ and play them instead of another
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png that will be for almost forever dusting on my shelf ( at this day I have all 5 star.png characters but none of them useful to play do to a missing color and/or very few covers).
    So thanx devs for doctor Strange and Thanos star.pngstar.pngstar.png
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,389 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Last time I liked the biggest pro - I can play with the character! With RNG-only (and EXTREMELY slow) 5* building, I'll likely never play with a 13-cover 5* Strange or Thanos. Honestly, I wish they'd make 3* covers for the other 5*'s as well. Lets all players understand what they do, remove the mystery a bit. And side benefit: it removes that 5* from the rotation once in awhile when the 3* is required for PVP!

Although today I thought about that again...my Strange is covered, and I'll never be using him.....just like all my other 3*'s.....
    Which is exactly why they should introduce some form of tiered play. I'd still really like to see some form of (for example) 3* only event, whether it's PVE or PVP.

Apart from that, I welcome the introduction of all new characters. But I hope the '2 tiers of the same character' is not a trend they will continue, especially if they choose the lazy route and make them have identical powers. We've got enough of those already!

Also, they shouldn't bring them *too* fast... gotta keep up with the 1000HP roster slots icon_lol.gif
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    I'm very much in favor of adding more 3*s.

Biggest pro for me is that it adds a new character that you can actually play with in a reasonable amount of time. Progression and placement rewards mean you'll get the character pretty well covered in about a week or so.

Another big pro is that it slows down the rate of 4*s being introduced. With 43 4*s already it's a huge grind to get them championed, and the recent influx of 2 4/5*s a month meant it was hard keeping up.

A lot of the cons mentioned I think are exaggerated. Diluting the 3* character draw pool for instance. There were 40 3* characters when Doctor Strange was introduced, meaning you went from 2.50% draw rate to 2.43%, and with Thanos to 2.38%. That's hardly a dilution worth worrying about.

The roster/HP grab isn't much of an argument either. At the rate we're currently receiving HP you can have enough HP in less than 3 days for an extra slot.

Saying D3Go! hasn't done anything to speed up progression is false as well. The rate of acquiring Iso-8 has increased by a factor of 50% recently (with SCL & bonus rewards).

Sure, for the players who have a lot of 4*s champed or are in 5* territory, adding a 3* doesn't seem worth it, but they're not the only ones playing the game, and not the only ones D3Go! needs to cater to.

I think (barring a couple of missteps like Boss Rush) D3Go! has been doing a good job, and I'm thankful for that.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Another 1k hp, while I'm already struggling to get enough for remaining 4*, which already sucks since we get new 4* every two weeks.
    The roster/HP grab isn't much of an argument either. At the rate we're currently receiving HP you can have enough HP in less than 3 days for an extra slot.

What if I have life outside MPQ?

At least rebalance some of the existing 3*. Psylocke, Spiderman, Beast, Sentry?
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I'm totally in favor of it, and loved to know they are adding a new 3* ( and a villain!) to the game. I'm a 2+ years casual player, with 35x 3* champed, now collecting more covers for 3* Strange.

I have some 4* champed as well, but 3*s are still my favorites, and I uses them everyday, without any scale issues. Now 5*s... I don't care abou them... have some in the range of 1-3 covers, just wasting spacing in my roster... and I know I'm not the only one thinking like this.