I do not like 7-day events

2»

Comments

• BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    (Stupid phone closed my window as I was uploading my reply.)

I feel the same way as y'all. I joined the event on day 2 in an hours-old SCL7 bracket. Due to some real-life commitments and sub-optimal play, I fell to the 15-20 range after a few days. However, I kept plugging away, so I could get the 15CP final prize.

Now, I'm #8 in my bracket with 8,400 points between me and #11. I haven't even gotten to the final prize.

While it's heartening that I will probably get a t10 prize (assuming I play optimally), that also means there were folks in or near the Top 10 range who just quit or burned out over the course of five days.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    To the author of the opening post calnexin, 7 day events should be banned.
    As I've said before they are unhealthy.

To prevent burn out 7 day events should be about doing 4 clears per node per sub. Don't kill yourself.

Only if you desperately need the top 4* rewards would I recommend playing optimally over 7 days.

I'm way off the 15CP target and I couldn't care less. I've got moon knight and I'm happy.
    I don't think I'll even bother with the final day.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    If you're aiming for progression reward then just do three or four clears in the morning and then two or three at night, or whatever fits your schedule better. Don't skip any nodes. Essentials are critical, but even the easy ones add up. If you do this, you'll arrive to progression a day or two before the event ends and you might even find yourself competing for placement without even trying.

Obviously, the better your roster, the faster you'll be able to clear the nodes and the easier you'll get to progression.
  • Omega Red

To prevent burn out 7 day events should be about doing 4 clears per node per sub

I understand your sentiment but some hardcore players could argue that four clears is too little and casual players could argue that it's still too much. Why four? Why not three or five? Not being contentious on the actual number of clears, just pointing out that the argument boils down to how casual or how hardcore the game should be.
  • AgentCoulsonLMD
    AgentCoulsonLMD Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Agree. The only thing good is coming in late and getting higher winning roster slot, but I'd rather get progression and not worth the amount of time.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    If you're aiming for progression reward then just do three or four clears in the morning and then two or three at night, or whatever fits your schedule better. Don't skip any nodes. Essentials are critical, but even the easy ones add up. If you do this, you'll arrive to progression a day or two before the event ends and you might even find yourself competing for placement without even trying.

Obviously, the better your roster, the faster you'll be able to clear the nodes and the easier you'll get to progression.

The math works in the short-term, but on a 7-day event it's rare (for me, at least) to not have a day where you simply don't have the time. The 3 and 4 day events I can generally gut out the necessary effort, but a full week? If I have to take a kid to a school event or a play date once during that timeframe, I can't reach max progression.

That's totally on me, of course. I just don't like it. I can spend the whole weekend on MPQ, making solid progress and earning some Iso and a few tokens. Then the week hits, I have to stay at work late once, and my game is shot. May as well throw in the towel at that point. That's bad for my alliance, and makes me feel like I wasted my weekend. I should've been out doing something else.

And that's my point. A game should not make you feel bad about playing it. It should make you feel good. More and more recently, it feels like an obligation rather than a hobby, with 7-day events being the worst contributors to that feeling. I'm a toothless cog - constantly spinning to little or no effect.
  • Omega Red
    Calnexin wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

The math works in the short-term, but on a 7-day event it's rare (for me, at least) to not have a day where you simply don't have the time. The 3 and 4 day events I can generally gut out the necessary effort, but a full week? If I have to take a kid to a school event or a play date once during that timeframe, I can't reach max progression.

That's totally on me, of course. I just don't like it. I can spend the whole weekend on MPQ, making solid progress and earning some Iso and a few tokens. Then the week hits, I have to stay at work late once, and my game is shot. May as well throw in the towel at that point. That's bad for my alliance, and makes me feel like I wasted my weekend. I should've been out doing something else.

And that's my point. A game should not make you feel bad about playing it. It should make you feel good. More and more recently, it feels like an obligation rather than a hobby, with 7-day events being the worst contributors to that feeling. I'm a toothless cog - constantly spinning to little or no effect.

Event length itself is not an issue. In fact, a seven day event gives you more opportunities to collect the points. You could play optimal for a couple of days and totally skip another day or two.

Again, the actual discussion is how high or low progression reward should be, how casual or how hardcore one should play to get there.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The Hulk is an utterly terrible 7 day event too because it's nothing but **** Dark Avengers and Juggerballs for 7 days of pure hell. I got my 13th Moon Knight out of it and quit. After looking at the prizes I'm super glad I can take off Juggerballs heroic next. I need a break and I'm going full on horde mode this season. I have Moon Knight, Star Lord and X-23 fully covered now and I'm not going to open tokens until at least two of them are championed.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scaled juggs doesn't bother me nearly as much as Moonstone.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:
    Why four? Why not three or five?

I shall tell you why it should be three my good man.

Book of Demiurge, Chapter 2, verses 9–21

And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou play to three clears, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt play, and the number of the clears shall be three. Four shalt thou not clear, neither clear thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, thou hast smite thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

I'm fine with 4 clears, but for seven days it's a bit much. I doubt I'll do the next heroic (I think that's next) and take a break. As you say though, it might be great for some, but not all.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:
    Event length itself is not an issue. In fact, a seven day event gives you more opportunities to collect the points. You could play optimal for a couple of days and totally skip another day or two.

Again, the actual discussion is how high or low progression reward should be, how casual or how hardcore one should play to get there.

Event length itself could be an issue. If the best prizes in an event are progression-based, then it's a question of "Where do you set the progression checkpoints and the refresh timers?" If the best prizes are in the placement tiers, then it becomes a question of "How broad are the final placement tiers, and how many players are willing to forgo life outside the game over each sub to secure them?"

If they had a 30-day event, but it was broken up into 3-day subs that had the more significant prizes, the overall event's placement tiers were relatively broad, and the final placement prizes weren't drastically different from each other, then it wouldn't feel too grindy, except for the top 25-50 players in a bracket.

(Like, say, a PvP season.)

But if it's an event that requires 4 plays per node per day x7 days -like this event- to get progression prize, then that's grindy.

I see where you're coming from, OR, but I don't think you're helping the forumites by saying what the discussion is limited to or what is/isn't an issue.

I think in a broader sense, any event longer than 3 days should have some allowance for at least one day not playing "optimally", or maybe even at all, to get the all progression-based prizes. And I think the longer an event goes, the greater the value of progression to placement prizes should be. There will always be someone willing to sacrifice that much more of his outside life to win, and it's not healthy to encourage that.
  • Leeroid86
    Leeroid86 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I missed the 15CP reward by 441 points! A 7 day event with none stop, agonising grinding, with the same characters, and with a busy working schedule over the holiday period was just too much! I also started a node with 3 mins remaining with enough points to get my reward, but went over by about 40 seconds. So no CP for me icon_e_sad.gif
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meanwhile, in heroic Juggernaut, day 1 isn't even over yet and I'm already half-way to the second Thor cover. No comparison in the feeling of progression.