What characters do you tend to skip in PvP?

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I thought this thread would be useful for determining which 3*s and 4*s are best to play for competitive PvP. Or in other words, what characters scare people away?

Here's my list of characters I tend to skip or would skip (by priority):

Boosted 4*s:
Medusa - (auto-damage uses up health packs)
Peggy - (increasing my AP costs is killer! along with her stun and punch too)
Carnage - (auto-attack tiles use up health packs)
Luke Cage - (auto-protect tiles are really annoying and slow you down)
Iceman - (cheap blue stun-n-punch, plus purple battery)
Jean Grey - (annoying match-5 deterrent, plus great team attacks)
Red Hulk - (his high health is a deterrent, plus purple-green combo)
Star Lord - (not dangerous himself, but helps enemies fire powers)

5*s:
Anyone higher than level 340 has significant match damage, otherwise they are a little weak and not too scary

Boosted 3*s:
Iron Fist - (auto-damage uses up health packs)
Dr Strange - (auto-damage uses up health packs)

IM40 + 4Thor is a good combo, but I would rather face them then the 4*s mentioned above. I've always thought that a good match is one where you can walk away with little damage.

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't generally see maxed 5*, but I often see 7-9 cover 5*. A max-champ 5* would be an automatic skip. Lesser than that, the characters that give me pause would be

Iceman
    Jean Grey
    Red Hulk
    Carnage
    She-Hulk (in the presence of 4* champs)

I'll still hit those teams if I'm feeling lucky or think I can deny or work around their powers.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    550 SS since I can't stun him.

Many, many people respond the same way to this (similar/same) post many, many times:

If the match is worth the points, they will not skip regardless of who is on the team.
  • bbigler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    550 SS since I can't stun him.

Many, many people respond the same way to this (similar/same) post many, many times:

If the match is worth the points, they will not skip regardless of who is on the team.

I know there's no gaurantee to get skipped, I just wanted to know who you tend to skip if the points are just average.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peggy.

End of list. I might entirely skip pvp for her whole boost week.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML, end of list. Oh right, I can't, he's still in 80%+ of all the matches I see.

But anyone with annoying passives is a better skip. Peggy/Rulk are worst in 4* land. Hood used to be bad in 3* land (before his health was so low). OML/Bolt in 5* land have stupid annoying passives.
  • bbigler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    OML, end of list. Oh right, I can't, he's still in 80%+ of all the matches I see.

But anyone with annoying passives is a better skip. Peggy/Rulk are worst in 4* land. Hood used to be bad in 3* land (before his health was so low). OML/Bolt in 5* land have stupid annoying passives.

Yeeessss. Passives are what I hate the most because I can't control them. I can match away certain colors, but passives cannot be stopped. Hence my personal list with a lot of passives. I don't mind OML's healing or black power (because I can just match black), its his red power that gets annoying. Bolt is another with a passive that can do a lot of damage.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    OML, end of list.

Really? OML is manageable, if you deny black. Or if you have someone who can steal his tiles. I feel like leaving mine on defense makes me a target. When his allies are gone his healing is relatively pathetic, so just leave him for last and find a way to deny or negate strikes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bagman. I'll definitely skip Bagman every time. If I see Bagman I know something fishy is going on and I'll probably suffer a humiliating retaliation.

Beast = automatic skip. He annoys me. I can't stand watching him play with his chemistry set.

Luke Cage. I love skipping this guy. I can never get rid of that *tinykitty* defense tile of his!

Kamala. Who wants to look at that stupid grinning face of hers for a whole match? At the very least I take her down first.

Buffed Hulk with 40k+ health. No thanks.

On the flip side, I always fight an OML user. Oh, you have a 2-cover OML? That's really cute. Thanks for the easy win.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Howard, nothing can boink a shield hop worse than an invisible duck.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Peggy's not so bad if you use another peggy. Just stun, and her yellow passive no more. SO maybe 2 or 3 more blue ap to initially stun her.
    OML is not really that strong but yeah I skip him a lot too because risk of long fight or risk of health pack use. He's definitely winnable against.

Iceman is the one I skip because of his cheap blue stun. I hate iceman so much because he is so good and I don't have him covered. Whiteout is crazy strong too. He also self accelerates. Add switch into the team and I'd skip the team even if it's worth 50 points! It's so easy to get 6 blue. For 12 blue he can stun someone and almost kill someone else with the punch a snowman.

4thor is great for offense, but definitely not a skip because she is pretty bad on defense. But I wouldn't fight her for less than 30 points because there is some risk of losing.

Silver surfer is immune to stun, so I skip because he has so much hp. A definite health pack drain.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    boosted 4*s

too much health, it takes too long.
    win one match, lose... way too many.
  • bbigler
    dsds wrote:
    Peggy's not so bad if you use another peggy. Just stun, and her yellow passive no more. SO maybe 2 or 3 more blue ap to initially stun her.
    OML is not really that strong but yeah I skip him a lot too because risk of long fight or risk of health pack use. He's definitely winnable against.

Iceman is the one I skip because of his cheap blue stun. I hate iceman so much because he is so good and I don't have him covered. Whiteout is crazy strong too. He also self accelerates. Add switch into the team and I'd skip the team even if it's worth 50 points! It's so easy to get 6 blue. For 12 blue he can stun someone and almost kill someone else with the punch a snowman.

4thor is great for offense, but definitely not a skip because she is pretty bad on defense. But I wouldn't fight her for less than 30 points because there is some risk of losing.

Silver surfer is immune to stun, so I skip because he has so much hp. A definite health pack drain.

I'm glad some people don't like Silver Surfer's anti-stun ability since he's the 5* I have the most covers for, so one day I'll level him up and fight with him just to see what happens.
  • bbigler
    ammenell wrote:
    boosted 4*s

too much health, it takes too long.
    win one match, lose... way too many.

Yes, this is my initial filter for skips, I will always fight boosted 3*s over boosted 4*s because of the higher health, no matter who the 3*s are. But if all my matches have 4*s in them, how do I decide who to fight? Hence, my mental skip list.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pretty much only see champed 5*s, so I'll take a look at anyone if they're worth enough points.

Black Bolt is probably the most annoying, but he's not an auto-skip. If the 5*s start climbing into the 480-490 range, then I'll skip them. Also, I'm starting so see people playing 4*s that are boosted into the level 430 range. Those guys are scary and are a skip from me as well.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Autoskip probably doesn't start for me until I see 500+ 5*s
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    After this week I'm skipping boosted PX forevermore. Holy hell, if he manages to go invisible his tiles get out of control almost immediately.

I also have a weird one - Classic Magneto. I dunno what it is about this guy but every time I fight him I swear he fires each of his powers about seventeen times.
  • Hendross
    Jarvind wrote:
    After this week I'm skipping boosted PX forevermore. Holy hell, if he manages to go invisible his tiles get out of control almost immediately.

I also have a weird one - Classic Magneto. I dunno what it is about this guy but every time I fight him I swear he fires each of his powers about seventeen times.

I'm using PX and Miles for BFF and am 6-6 on defense thus far. It's an invisible nightmare since Miles generates purple.
  • bbigler
    Jarvind wrote:

I noticed the ridiculous special tile strengthening as well with ProfX, I think there's a bug there because they seemed to strengthen twice with a single match. Before I knew what happend, they had strength 1400 strike, protect and attack tiles.
  • Hendross
    bbigler wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

I noticed the ridiculous special tile strengthening as well with ProfX, I think there's a bug there because they seemed to strengthen twice with a single match. Before I knew what happend, they had strength 1400 strike, protect and attack tiles.

They strengthen once per PX match, so a good cascade cause cause multiple buffs. Plus this happens before attack tiles fire now.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Boosted 4*s:

Luke Cage - (annoying)
    Iceman - (avoid at all cost)
    Teen Jean - (annoyingly good)
    Red Hulk - (annoyingly good)
    Moon Knight - ( Come onnnn)

5*
    Any championed