The PVE 'story'

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The other day I was playing through one of the Hulk subs and I'm trying to get my four clears done on the last node against a solo hulk. I thought it was fun fighting against the Hulk by himself and I suddenly wondered why I was doing so. I realized I've never bothered to read the node descriptions and when the talking heads pop up I always hit the mass-skip button to avoid the entire conversation. The story (in every PVE event, not just this one) is entirely meaningless to me. All I care about is who I'm fighting next and what level they are.

Just curious if this is common or not. Do you follow the story or simply ignore it? If you do read through that stuff, do you enjoy it? Does it add something for you, having some ambiance/reason behind it all?

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would read the story during my first couple weeks playing the game in 2013, but never since then. I always skip it. Plus, they run the event over and over anyways. New events, I might read a little, like Dr Strange.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I read them the first time but they all basically amount to this:

Fury: HAY GUYZ TEH DRAK AVENGORS R DOIN A THING GO STOPPEM

Black Widow and/or Cap: YES SIR

Iron Man: HI TEHRE I AM SNARKY AN HAZ MANY DOLLARZ

Fury: TONAY STOP UR SHENANGIAENS N GO FITE THE DOODZ

Iron Man: K
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I still read/follow the storyline during one of the passes through each of the nodes (although not necessarily the first one, depending on how much time I have at the moment). I find it more interesting/entertaining that way - but I am primarily a PvE player, and don't do a lot in the PvP side of the game.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    There's a story?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never have time to read the story because I am focusing on beating the nodes before everyone else. I guess I could go back and read them after my first initial 4-clears or after completing the 6th clear but by then hours of my life have been wasted enough that I don't want to read anything... but I am sure the stories are.. eventful icon_razz.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read the stories at first, I rarely do now. I usually read the new ones when they come, but even then sometimes I don't. I read the Strange one.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:

Reading this became my "Best MPQ moment of the day".

I read all of the dialogue the first time I play through each event. I'm still scratching my head over the number of events that don't seem to actually wrap the story up at the end though.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:

Insert the following when variation is needed:

Wolverine: SUMTHIN SMELLS BAD, BUB

Spidey: WITTY OBSERVATION OF DOODZ INSECURITIES

Dark Avengers: WE R UP TO THE NO-GOODZ

Thor: YAY VARILY THUS AM I ALSO HERE FOR TEH FIGHTINGZ

Punisher/Magneto/Hood/Doom: SURPRISE, I AM HELPING THE DOODZ YOU FITE SO YOU CAN FITE ME 2

Fury: BEE TEE DUBS THIS TIME THE ISO IS UNSTABLE/RED/IN-HELL/DANK/STILL-NOT-HELPING-YOUR-ROSTER
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I usually don't. Since the change to the 24h window timing has become too critical to waste even a minute reading the story. If I could go back and read the story after the fact without it affecting my score/placement I probably would.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're ever curious (aren't we all?) and don't have time during your clears, all the dialogues can be found on the Wiki (The Hulk, for example)

And there's also MischiefMakers classic (and very old) thread.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Fury: BEE TEE DUBS THIS TIME THE ISO IS UNSTABLE/RED/IN-HELL/DANK/STILL-NOT-HELPING-YOUR-ROSTER

Still waiting for that Dank ISO PVE event.
  • bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    HaywireII wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

Reading this became my "Best MPQ moment of the day".

I read all of the dialogue the first time I play through each event. I'm still scratching my head over the number of events that don't seem to actually wrap the story up at the end though.

my thoughts EXACTLY (on the stories not wrapping up), I suppose they're sort of meant to flow into one another, but the PVE schedule seems so haphazard that it never quite flows. Also, they're opened up a new storyline/theme with EotS, HoD and Strange Sights that are all sort of interlinked or at least references events from the other stories.

I guess it's like reading different comic books with occasional cross-overs?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've not read a single story since the day I started. I'd be fine if it just said victory and went back to node selection.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

Insert the following when variation is needed:

Wolverine: SUMTHIN SMELLS BAD, BUB

Spidey: WITTY OBSERVATION OF DOODZ INSECURITIES

Dark Avengers: WE R UP TO THE NO-GOODZ

Thor: YAY VARILY THUS AM I ALSO HERE FOR TEH FIGHTINGZ

Punisher/Magneto/Hood/Doom: SURPRISE, I AM HELPING THE DOODZ YOU FITE SO YOU CAN FITE ME 2

And the obligatory ending...

Norman Osborn: OMG NOOOOES AND I WUD HAV GOTTEN AW4Y WIT IT 2 IF IT WREN'T FOR U MEDLING AVNGERS
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I try to read the new ones, but I'm conditioned to hit that double arrow as quickly as possible so I usually miss most of it.

I also do that when using boosts in a prior fight, I go so quickly through those screens that it's usually too late when I realize I just used "+2 all" on the first ddq node.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    If you're ever curious (aren't we all?) and don't have time during your clears, all the dialogues can be found on the Wiki (The Hulk, for example)

And there's also MischiefMakers classic (and very old) thread.

I've been kind of trying to keep them up to date. When I am not feeling lazy, I actually try to make videos of events I haven't already made videos of. Some are of just the text, some are of the matches as well. I see you had your own compendium, but it doesn't show a description of the stories. My thread is no longer stickied, so people can't easily look up the stories. For the new events especially, I am sure people like to skip the stories since new stories always coincide with new character releases, so I try to record them. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29291
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calling the writing in MPQ a story is like calling a bird poop street art.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Okay, clearly I'm in the minority here, but I DO read the stories - the first time, but usually I have a few parts I'll read on re-runs (like where Devil Dino shows up, or all of the Howard storyline). I even notice changes, like for example when Hulk joins the Avengers in his event, he used to say "Jerks. You thought I was dumb," but they've since dropped the "Jerks" for some reason. Hell, I'm still annoyed we haven't found out what happened to Osborne after Venom Bomb - DOES he become the Green Goblin? PINS AND NEEDLES, MAN!!!

(Side note: I also read the node descriptions, and I've always been disappointed that they changed the one that used to say "Teach them how hard you can hit yourself" for its whimsical image of my team beating itself into submission)
  • Lampo
    Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    I always read the story... when it's the first time.
    Now many stories are reposts, so I just read the new stories or sometimes the node I couldn't read in the past, for example because I didn't have the requested charachters (it usually doesn't happen, but in the Hulk story there are some pieces of the story in the requested charachter nodes).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read all the stories the first time they ran and skipped for every subsequent replay.

My problem now is that I'm so hard-wired to auto-skip that if there is a new story, I usually autoskip it then curse when I realize what I've done.