The PVE 'story'

2»

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read the story the first time in each event. It's largely incoherent. There are some gems in there (My favorite: Daken - "Bored", so he tears up Osborn's security team), but it generally doesn't even hold faithful to the comic storylines, much less add anything new. There's no narrative thread linking the missions, as far as I can tell. They're standalone pieces. Once you've seen them once, the only reason not to skip is nostalgia.
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I have to admit the way I play -- get in a quick game here and there waiting for the bus or before my kids wake up in the morning -- isn't really conducive to stopping to read dialogue. As far as I know the story is "COME AT ME, BRO!".
  • Calnexin
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Fury: BEE TEE DUBS THIS TIME THE ISO IS UNSTABLE/RED/IN-HELL/DANK/STILL-NOT-HELPING-YOUR-ROSTER

Still waiting for that Dank ISO PVE event.

That should be a variant of the Deadpool vs MPQ event.
  • Calnexin
    Hell, I'm still annoyed we haven't found out what happened to Osborne after Venom Bomb - DOES he become the Green Goblin? PINS AND NEEDLES, MAN!!!

I don't know how much leeway D3Go has for the story. 5* Goblin is the Spiderman nemesis. The Osborn depicted in the DA storyline is post-Goblin (ie - Iron Patriot). I think he does regress at some point in that story and shows signs of once again becoming the Goblin, but he gets shut down pretty quick. It'd stretch the narrative to say that DA Osborn becomes 5* Goblin. The timeline is reversed.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty what everyone else has said, read during first couple of play through then automatic skips. Even new content I tend to skip too, every story is just a derivative of each other (but that's just the nature of superhero comics) so that gets skipped too generally.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    If you're ever curious (aren't we all?) and don't have time during your clears, all the dialogues can be found on the Wiki (The Hulk, for example)

And there's also MischiefMakers classic (and very old) thread.

I've been kind of trying to keep them up to date. When I am not feeling lazy, I actually try to make videos of events I haven't already made videos of. Some are of just the text, some are of the matches as well. I see you had your own compendium, but it doesn't show a description of the stories. My thread is no longer stickied, so people can't easily look up the stories. For the new events especially, I am sure people like to skip the stories since new stories always coincide with new character releases, so I try to record them. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29291

Thank you! I was actually looking for your thread, but couldn't find it in my searches. I think yours is actually really helpful, especially for the story stuff, whereas mine was designed to be a lookup of the event threads / history of when events ran. 2 different needs.

We should get yours stickied again (rebrand it?), as I like that it has all the event stories behind it for anyone curious.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    So, funny story.

When I first started the game about a year ago, I didn't really understand the way that PVE worked, I kind of thought everything was a continuation of the Prologue, in order. It took me until the second round to realize that each and every event wasn't a new thing written for that very moment and even longer to realize that they weren't in a specific order. I thought the story was a little disjointed at times, but let my imagination fill in the gaps and inconsistencies.

Like many others have said, I read the story the first time an event runs, but that's about it. I think I read through most of them the second time cause I didn't have a strong enough roster to complete the events the first time.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    The game takes long enough as it is, not gonna spend more time playing it by reading a story. Its not like the story changes to justify why the required characters are teaming up.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Read 'em all the first time I played them. Still read them occasionally, especially when there's a change (like Peggy replacing Cpt. Rogers in...Unstable ISO-8?) to see how the dialogue changes.

I mean, that's part of why I want new PVE events - new stuff to read!
  • pheregas wrote:
    I read all the stories the first time they ran and skipped for every subsequent replay.

My problem now is that I'm so hard-wired to auto-skip that if there is a new story, I usually autoskip it then curse when I realize what I've done.
    but then i try to remember to read it on the next 3 clears, usually only catching on the last attempt.
  • doomette
    doomette Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I read the first time around. Duck Hunt, with those two knuckleheads foiling all those "nefarious" plans, is my favorite.