Anything New on the Horizon?

Peej13
Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Brigby (Anyone, really),

Is there anything new coming up, other than new characters? It feels like it's been a while since the last new game mode, which was really just another PVE (strange). I only ask because, if there isn't something on the DDQ level, a lot of people will be on the way out soon.

If it's just me, I'll quiet down, but I think I speak for everyone, here.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Normally when it's very quiet it means something big is happening.. like Boss Rush! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    Brigby (Anyone, really),

Is there anything new coming up, other than new characters? It feels like it's been a while since the last new game mode, which was really just another PVE (strange). I only ask because, if there isn't something on the DDQ level, a lot of people will be on the way out soon.

If it's just me, I'll quiet down, but I think I speak for everyone, here.

If there's not a new event, I'll keep playing. Maybe not intensely, but at least DDQ and enough PvE for CP.

My memory is foggy (too much MQP), but to my recollection there usually is something interesting around the holidays. A 30% bonus sale on HP, if nothing else, which is the best chance to pad out your roster slots if you're short. Event-wise, one can hope for a boss rerun, double iso, or a character-specific event (been awhile since we've seen Pym and Cho's storylines!).
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Normally when it's very quiet it means something big is happening.. like Boss Rush! icon_e_wink.gif
    well...that just dragged my hopes down further
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    A 'co-op' boss event and a gauntlet would be nice!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    I think I speak for everyone, here.

Nope.

You know you want new features icon_razz.gif
  • Peej13
    It's true. I don't speak for the obstinate, the brusque, or the blind followers.
    Peej13 wrote:

Nope.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    It's true. I don't speak for the obstinate, the brusque, or the blind followers.
    Peej13 wrote:

Nope.

I don't think we're overdo any new features. I'd like to see some (and could think of a great many to choose from), but I'm certainly not going to quit if the fail to release such on my schedule.

So based on your original post, you don't really speak for me, either.

Which is a good thing, considering you insulted the first person who disagreed with you. I'm not sure I want you speaking for me in the first place.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc wrote:

I don't think we're overdo any new features. I'd like to see some (and could think of a great many to choose from), but I'm certainly not going to quit if the fail to release such on my schedule.

So based on your original post, you don't really speak for me, either.

Which is a good thing, considering you insulted the first person who disagreed with you. I'm not sure I want you speaking for me in the first place.

In the OP's defense, the first person who disagreed with him just said "nope". That is not really constructive, but rather feels argumentative just for the sake of being so. May not have been the intention, but just saying "no, you're wrong" will never help in a constructive way... Just like commenting solely to correct someone's spelling or grammar is useless. Write a single sentence, just saying you are fine with the pace things are released at, and no one should ever have an issue.

Personally, I would love new features to be released soon, and maybe even at a quicker pace than we currently have. I would love the devs to stop treating 4* like they are too valuable to make more available. Any time the second tier from the top is valued like the most precious commodity, then the top tier (as it is now) is valued as "sell your soul" for it. I say BOOOOOOO to that.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    How about a stable build, that'd be new.
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    its the end of the year everyone is probably hitting or starting vacation soon. most places put a coding freeze on at the end of the year.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Just remember that we got a new PVE over Christmas last year (Venom Bomb). Of course everybody hates it said PVE so I'm not sure I want them to try that again this year.
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    You can speak for me any time you want, jabroni. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    In the OP's defense, the first person who disagreed with him just said "nope". That is not really constructive, but rather feels argumentative just for the sake of being so. May not have been the intention, but just saying "no, you're wrong" will never help in a constructive way... Just like commenting solely to correct someone's spelling or grammar is useless. Write a single sentence, just saying you are fine with the pace things are released at, and no one should ever have an issue.

I agree that a one-word response is virtually useless, but it could have been ignored, or addressed in a constructive manner ("Hey, that's not very insightful, could you elaborate as to why you think that way?"). Instead, a fight was picked, and a conversation de-railed. The one-word response may not have been constructive, but the response to it was actively destructive, and I find that hard to defend. This place has enough vitriol as it is, we don't need more.
  • Crnch73
    JHawkInc wrote:
    I agree that a one-word response is virtually useless, but it could have been ignored, or addressed in a constructive manner ("Hey, that's not very insightful, could you elaborate as to why you think that way?"). Instead, a fight was picked, and a conversation de-railed. The one-word response may not have been constructive, but the response to it was actively destructive, and I find that hard to defend. This place has enough vitriol as it is, we don't need more.

fair enough, I can agree with that idea as well. Forums tend to devolve very quickly because we don't ignore the stupid, but rather we fixate on it.

In my opinion, we should be focusing on the stupid that is coming from the devs lately. I know they have given us some good stuff in this calendar year, but the last TRULY good thing, IMO, was SCL7. Even intercepts were a cash-grab, whether advertising or encouraging VIP... and they are buggy still. It's been relatively **** since SCL7, even though the claim to be listening. In my job (also programming related but in a much different industry), I don't get to just sit back and say I did good work in August, so leave me alone until 2017.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I think it's humorous that it's been about a month since we got new content - the Strange PVE - and the op is grousing about it being so long since we got something new.

Let's see, Christmas 2015 until April 2016 (Venom Bomb to the Howard PVE).
    Then May 2016 until October 2016 (Civil War until BFF/Boss Rush).

Ha ha ha. We've got about four more months to wait. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing I would also say is this is the Holliday season. They have been rolling out a lot in the last 3-4 months and now they like many other businesses are getting ready for 2017. I would imagine we might get a character rebalanced this year if anything. In Jan I can see a boss battle or another 5* release along with CL9. We might also get a new story event. December will be slow, January will be packed though.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I recall seeing a red name comment somewhere that they have some things in the works we'll be happy with.
    But that's about it. It's at the "We're doing stuff, but daren't tell you what in case we end up over promising by accident" stage.
  • Crnch73
    Chronicler wrote:
    I think it's humorous that it's been about a month since we got new content - the Strange PVE - and the op is grousing about it being so long since we got something new.

Let's see, Christmas 2015 until April 2016 (Venom Bomb to the Howard PVE).
    Then May 2016 until October 2016 (Civil War until BFF/Boss Rush).

Ha ha ha. We've got about four more months to wait. icon_mrgreen.gif

Though it was new, I don't really consider this to be all that important of a "new content". We got 2 new characters, who I love playing with, but they release new characters all the time. We got new "goon" enemies, apparently that can only be found in that one PVE event. To me, releasing new PVE events and new characters doesn't keep the game fresh enough. I think the OP (or at least this is how I feel) is asking for improvements to the game, not necessarily new PVE events. Sure, it was nice to see the Strange event, but it ran for a few days and only to promote the new movie, it didn't move the needle much long term. Granted, things like SCL and Shield Levels, or the championing mechanism, take time to design and code. However, I feel like this should be the primary job of the devs (alongside their attempts at earning more money and fixing bugs). There should always be something good in the works, whether it is 2 months away or 6 months away. Keep the game moving in a positive manner, not just one that is purely a cash grab. I still stand by my idea that SCL7 was the last truly good thing they implemented.
  • Peej13
    I wish I could say things as eloquently as Crnch (even if you forgot a vowel in your name... icon_twisted.gif )

Anything to break up the PVE/PVP status quo would be lovely.

4* PVP
    4* DDQ
    Ongoing alliance events (like Ultron, Galactus, and Civil War...and, yes, boss rush - it was awful, but it was a change of pace, which was a silver lining)
    Ant-man/Chulk-type mini-PVEs

I'm not in the business of making enjoyable games for people to waste their time on, but I do know that D3/Demi seems to be focused on one thing. It's not customer service; it's not making things fun; it's not even quality control; but it should be all of these things.

When new characters are the only things keeping a game "fun" and "exciting," I believe that can be considered "resting on one's laurels." What are these developers doing with all the money that people spend on this game? What do they do with all their time? I have no insight into what it takes to develop a game such as this, but they can't possibly be spending ALL of their time designing these characters that keep getting thrown at us.

Brief Response:
    JHawk - I took the low road in my response. You got me. I guess I just didn't feel like trying to delve deeper into the mind of someone who has such a terrible in-game presence, and doesn't do much to help that here.
    Chronicler - As crnch already pointed out, the strange PVE does not affect the game as a whole when it's not running. I'm looking for something that makes a difference outside of the event that is currently running.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Peej13 wrote:
    Is there anything new coming up, other than new characters?

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: it's a difficult thing to discuss because of forum policy, but as red names have suggested in recent history, Demi is in fact working on new features that go beyond new characters and reskinned events. As for when we might see those features implemented? No clue, but they do exist and we'll see them eventually.