Bets for character revisions this offseason?

2»

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Please dont change 3* pun. Yes he is weak. But i dont want anything to happen to that red. Its such a useful teamup!

My ideal fix for 3* pun: make green targetable, similar to GSBW or Hood. At least double, if not triple black's damage. Red is fine.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are so many antiquated 3-stars that need to be brought into the modern game, but my gut tells me they'll stick to 4-stars.
  • semihippie
    semihippie Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I doubt they touch 3-stars at all anymore.

My vote is for Mr. F buff combined with Iceman nerf.

Iceman will go to a 2 turn stun for 8 or 10 mana. No punching. They'll over nerf him.

Next will be 5 star- 5 Cap buff combined with OML buff

OML will get a health regeneration nerf- Possibly make him a little bit quicker either to transform or after transformation.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    semihippie wrote:
    I doubt they touch 3-stars at all anymore.

My vote is for Mr. F buff combined with Iceman nerf.

Iceman will go to a 2 turn stun for 8 or 10 mana. No punching. They'll over nerf him.

Next will be 5 star- 5 Cap buff combined with OML buff

OML will get a health regeneration nerf- Possibly make him a little bit quicker either to transform or after transformation.

Wow, that would largely crush ice. His green would still be good, but why not just use rulk instead?

I am curious to see if they finally start with the various nerfs that we know they had lined up (since they announced that they were going buff only to start, we can infer that they previously had some nerfs in mind).

Imo, in a game like this where players can and do invest lots of resources (be it time or money or hoarded tokens) on specific characters, devs absolutely should not nerf someone after 15+ months. Nerfs need to be fast (i.e. 1 month or less) or there will inevitably be hard feelings from players who had the rug yanked out from under them.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    The devs already said that they won't be doing any nerfs for the foreseeable future...so everyone can relax for a while. That statement came as a direct result to our nerf fears. They've chosen to modify and upgrade characters first.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I don't see the validity of that argument. There are hard feelings about literally everything in the game.

Nerfs are a justifiable way to manage balance. If there's a small handful of meta-defining characters (whether for power reasons or availability reasons), then a nerf will shake up the meta, which would be a great way to drive sales while also keeping the game interesting.

Anybody who thinks that an OP character should stay the way it is, already has that character, and is abusing it. Guaranteed, no exceptions.

I quit for like 18 months when they nerfed CMags back in the day, so I absolutely know that nerfs can be infuriating, but it also gave me perspective. If something has proven to be unhealthy for the meta, the fact that lots of people are using it is just not a reason to keep letting it happen.
  • Vhailorx
    zonatahunt wrote:
    The devs already said that they won't be doing any nerfs for the foreseeable future...so everyone can relax for a while. That statement came as a direct result to our nerf fears. They've chosen to modify and upgrade characters first.

That statement was almost 3 months ago. What does "foreseeable future" mean? I dont mean to start a panic. I think it is unlikely that there will be any nerfs this season while there are still so many obvious buff candidates. But at some point we will be beyond the "foreseeable future."

Carrion: who said OP characters should be left in game? I said nerfs should happen fast or not at all. The worst thing (from a player perspective) that can be done in a pay-to-win game is nerfing OP characters after everyone has bought them. That's just squeezing more money out of the player base by retroactively devauling digital goods.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Highest Priority:
    - Fantastic
    - X-Force
    - 3* Spider Man
    - Psylocke

Low priority:
    - 3* Punisher
    - Nick Fury
    - 5* Black Widow
  • semihippie
    semihippie Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I think a slight Iceman nerf is probably necessary- He's too good at too many things; his stun is the best in the game, his green is possibly only beat by rhulk, and his purple self generates and mildly board shakes/sets up cascades. Combined with someone like star-lord, and he becomes truly frightening- a 4 turn freeze for four bluetile.png ? 4-5k aoe for what, 8 greentile.png ? Few characters match that on their own, not even considering that he can do that on his own.

I have him champed and love him, but he's also a character that makes you go "why use any other character?" I think they'll probably over do it, like they did to x-force, but its probably incoming. I think there have been buffs only for the past few cycles to make us feel better about the incoming nerfs and to sell it as an overall balancing, which it has been, in a way.
  • Vhailorx
    semihippie wrote:
    I think a slight Iceman nerf is probably necessary- He's too good at too many things; his stun is the best in the game, his green is possibly only beat by rhulk, and his purple self generates and mildly board shakes/sets up cascades. Combined with someone like star-lord, and he becomes truly frightening- a 4 turn freeze for four bluetile.png ? 4-5k aoe for what, 8 greentile.png ? Few characters match that on their own, not even considering that he can do that on his own.

I have him champed and love him, but he's also a character that makes you go "why use any other character?" I think they'll probably over do it, like they did to x-force, but its probably incoming. I think there have been buffs only for the past few cycles to make us feel better about the incoming nerfs and to sell it as an overall balancing, which it has been, in a way.

Disclaimer: as stated above, I think nerfs are unlikely this week. This is not intended as a sky is falling thread to get scared about impending doom!

that said reasons not to nerf ice:

(1) as I argued before, it's too late. he is more than 15 months old and firmly placed into the meta of the game, the time for a nerf has passed
    (2) Unboosted he is squishy as hell in the modern world of 4* champs and 5*s
    (3) While good in PVE, he really excelled at PVP. There are many other characters that serve particular niches better than ice in PVE. he is not head and shoulders the best in the PVE space.
    (3) he really isn't a deterrent to strong rosters in PVP any longer. There are plenty of ways to deal with him for anyone with a decent 4* or 5* roster. From Peggy to Rulk to almost any 5*, he can be neutered/burned down pretty quickly. Sure, he is dangerous when the ai gets an odd cascade, but that's true for many many teams. Between featured + 2x 40k boosted 4*s (or 5*s), and featured + 1 boosted 4* + 14k health ice, I am almost always going for ice.

He probably is the best all-around 4* in the game. But someone has to be best and he isn't so much better than everyone else that he completely imbalances the games. If we nerf ice, then people will just turn to complaining about peggy or rulk. But by having a fairly deep group of excellent 4*s, there are several paths to building a good 4* roster and fewer people get screwed by RNG.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iceman can easily be 'nerfed'/balanced without breaking him, he just needs some small tweaks. Just change the 4 turn stun to 3 turns, and reduce his hitpoints a bit more, maybe 10% or 15%. That's it. He is still top tier, but he has some disadvantages, so you need to be careful of when to use him.

Peggy on the other hand... She is as OP as Iceman or more, and she is way trickier to nerf without breaking her.

Buuuuut, I would not nerf anyone, 4 land is full of very strong chars. There are two that are arguably the best, but there are a lot of that are really really good. Nowadays buffing is basically what determines which chars to use, so as long as there is no one char that should be used even when not buffed, everything is probably fine (Peggy is for me the only one that is quite close to break this rule).

Oh and nerfing OML would be stupid, specially when a lot of 5 players agree that he is not even top5 in 5 land. It would be like nerfing Patch.

But anyway, is it Miles the revision for this season? Just Miles? No Reed or Wasp?
  • Polares wrote:
    Oh and nerfing OML would be stupid, specially when a lot of 5 players agree that he is not even top5 in 5 land. It would be like nerfing Patch.

But anyway, is it Miles the revision for this season? Just Miles? No Reed or Wasp?

hmmm, i wonder of those players who say he isnt top 5 what percentage of teams they field across pvp and pve still have him as one of the three. im willing to bet its a whole lot
    bigger than zero. apparently oml is just one of those **** tier characters they gets used 90% of the time.

and yes apparently buffing more than one character a month would break the game. see you in 2017 reid, elektra, et al. oh and all of you weak sister 3 stars that apparently dont deserve attention either.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Nerfs need to be fast (i.e. 1 month or less) or there will inevitably be hard feelings from players who had the rug yanked out from under them.

Amen. The standard increase in sale price is not sufficient on the 4* tier. With that level of commitment accumulating those covers, selling is not an option. It has to be done right. No one's going to sell a champed 4* post-nerf, but there's a decent chance they'll quit.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanos8587 wrote:
    Polares wrote:

hmmm, i wonder of those players who say he isnt top 5 what percentage of teams they field across pvp and pve still have him as one of the three. im willing to bet its a whole lot
    bigger than zero. apparently oml is just one of those **** tier characters they gets used 90% of the time.

OML is amazing on offense, but not that great for defense. He's easy to shut down. The match damage is still there, but a champ 4* team can absorb that. Deny black and leave him for last, he's not really a threat.

That's the balance in PvP. "Top 5" is personal and speculative, but there's a difference in offense vs defense. OML will win you a match, but is only threatening if you have a bad board. A well covered Goblin or Iron Man are far more risky. I'm more reticent to engage a champed 4* Jean Grey than I am a 7-9 cover OML.
  • Vhailorx
    thanos8587 wrote:
    Polares wrote:

and yes apparently buffing more than one character a month would break the game. see you in 2017 reid, elektra, et al. oh and all of you weak sister 3 stars that apparently dont deserve attention either.

I am sure that lots of 5* players use OML to climb in PVP, that's what he is good at. But once you get to shield hopping, why bother with OML any more? Assume you had GG, IM46, BB, Phoenix, and BSS all at the same level as OML. Why wouldn't you use a team of GG/BB or Phoenix/BSS instead of OML for hopping?

this is definitely warped by cover levels, since many more people have OML (and SS and Phoenix) at or near 450 than any other 5*. And even those that do have lots of 5*s champed may still feel compelled to use the older characters because champ levels are very significant for 5*s. I don't think anyone is suggesting that OML isn't very good. But it seems clear that there are better 5*s to use if you just need to win a few matches quickly (i.e. shield hopping).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The two most glaring to me are:

Mr. Fantastic
    5* Cap

Other candidates for buffs:

5* Banner
    Ragnarok
    Psylocke
    Colossus

And do people think there will be any nerfs?

Good list, I'd add Sentry, 3* Ock, and 3* Spider.

Boo nerfs.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    I am certain it's going to be xforce wolverine. They did invisible women so now it has to be wolverine's turn!

I am not sure about the second one. Probably Mr. fantastic.

I highly doubt they would touch the 5* characters. Not enough time has passed to see how they do in the game as not many people have them. I guess silver surfer was the exception.

I think I am ruining Xforce's chances.

My go to for Shield is Xforce Wolvie and Deadpool along with Hood to grind through stuff without needing health packs.