People are excited about Medusa

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    I was 14 yesterday when ending my bracket after 4 Clears (11 am start) at 2...at 8 am this was almost 200 and after clearing every node, grinding them down to 1 only to get up to bottom 100.

Don't know what I did wrong, but whatever.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor

What's really funny is, this guy is #1 in my bracket (S4 CL8) by over clearing like crazy.

C'mon Dart Broll ecplained exactly what hes doing

I'm talking about mutant not broll but definitely not trying to be harsh, just pointing out the irony. I thought it was funny.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    broll wrote:
    The last event was the first one where I said screw their stupid schedule system, it's my game and I'll play it when I want. I did 6 clears when it was continent for me (which was never near optimal time) and I found myself enjoying playing a lot more even if I didn't place well.

I added the emphasis. That word. It does not mean what you think it means (generally I've heard it only used in the negative.)

Generally I've only heard in used in Geography??
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    broll wrote:
    The last event was the first one where I said screw their stupid schedule system, it's my game and I'll play it when I want. I did 6 clears when it was continent for me (which was never near optimal time) and I found myself enjoying playing a lot more even if I didn't place well.

I added the emphasis. That word. It does not mean what you think it means (generally I've heard it only used in the negative.)

I think the reference to the negative means "incontinent". The word should probably have been "convenient", but the auto-correct on here has a mind of its own.
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler

What's really funny is, this guy is #1 in my bracket (S4 CL8) by over clearing like crazy.

C'mon Dart Broll ecplained exactly what hes doing ... He wants to farm all the node rewards and play when he can. Hes saving stress by blowing off placement. Good for him!

To answer the earlier question, yes a LOT of players hit lower SCLs, and even more do so on new releases. It spreads out the competitive players! For instance, i entered my noob acct in scl 6, the highest it can go. The top 20 is full of whales and vets, hoping for an easier shot at t10.

As for me I'm traveling. Will have to see whats shakin' on Sunday. Hope for a last hours flip in SCL 6 7 or 8.
    Yeah New Releases are not worth a ****. The superwhales and vets still hoover up all the prizes rendering SCL totally pointless.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Eddiemon wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    broll wrote:

I approve.

Not to subtract from the fun but I'm assuming he's on a mobile device that mangled the word "convenient" through auto-correct.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade wrote:
    Orion wrote:
    I'm in s4 which ends in 7.5 hrs. I finished the first 4 clears in 9th and now I'm in 67th. So there's a ton of people who are overclearing.

It makes sense if you can't grind at the normal time to just get what points you can. But that's a lot of people overclearing.

Same, I was in the mid 200's when I started my final grind for sub 1 and I finished Top 5. Thats over 20% of the bracket that has no chance at a Top 10 finish

Same here. S1.7, finished both sub 1 and 2 opening clear #1, and woke up for the grind around 70th. There is a ton of sub-optimal play going on, but hey, people are going to play however makes them happy.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    i picked the wrong slice (My alliance mate who plays the same slice I usually do is top 50 with 5000 less points than I have)
    lesson learned and looks like Elite Tokens for me
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin wrote:
    People are excited about every new character. If you're not able or willing to play optimally, you've got no shot at it. I gave up on placement, because I just don't have that kind of time.

Luckily, the new characters are often featured as progression rewards in the next PvE. You won't place there, either, because you won't have that essential until 2-3 subs in, but at least you'll get a cover for next time.

This game very much gives off the vibe of "go big or go home". If you don't have the time and/or cash to compete at the top level, you wait and get the new shinies from standard events and random pulls. In the end, if 100 other people are willing to schedule around optimization and work harder than you, they deserve it more. That's a hard pill to swallow when you've sunk a good chunk of your free time into it.

Managing your expectations is difficult, but necessary with this game.

That.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Slummed it in 7, joined straight away with my game about to end in under 3hrs, slice 1 I think? I have done only 4 clears and 2 clears on the waves. Final sub I did the waves a bit more to hit 48k and I'm 57th right now. To be honest I was only chasing Jean as I know medusa will come from next pve anyway which I usually only play to get 4* cover but this slice was so lazy I just carried on.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never Choosing this slice again.......worst ranking with highest score ever (12N EST Start BTW)
    here's hoping this unfortunate delay in getting the Medusa cover doesn't stop me from getting Max Progression in Venom Bomb (likely won't have her on my roster for the first half)
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Placement rewards stink anyways, hate that the difference between placing 21-50 and 50-100 is a measly 500 iso.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm happy up in SCL8 where I only need t100 to get a cover.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Scraped T100 despite totally half-assing the last sub. I got max progression, and then just said "meh" to the whole thing. I wish the new release hadn't come on the back of a seven-day event. I'm knackered.

And I'm 55hp short of being able to roster her for the start of Venom Bomb. Ugh.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    broll wrote:

I think the reference to the negative means "incontinent". The word should probably have been "convenient", but the auto-correct on here has a mind of its own.

Didn't think of that since I don't browse forums on my phone, but you're probably right. Still, it makes a nice dovetail with the following conversation:

C'mon Dart Broll ecplained exactly what hes doing ... He wants to farm all the node rewards and play when he can. Hes saving stress by blowing off placement. Good for him!

To answer the earlier question, yes a LOT of players hit lower SCLs, and even more do so on new releases. It spreads out the competitive players! For instance, i entered my noob acct in scl 6, the highest it can go. The top 20 is full of whales and vets, hoping for an easier shot at t10.

As for me I'm traveling. Will have to see whats shakin' on Sunday. Hope for a last hours flip in SCL 6 7 or 8.
    Yeah New Releases are not worth a ****. The superwhales and vets still hoover up all the prizes rendering SCL totally pointless.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Bleh, wiped twice on PX/Iceman/Cyclops and wound up at 103. Guess I get to play Venom Bomb for progression.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I took this weekend off from new release pve! It was nice. I made it to the second 5cp reward and quit.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    JackTenrec wrote:
    Bleh, wiped twice on PX/Iceman/Cyclops and wound up at 103. Guess I get to play Venom Bomb for progression.

That node made me very happy that this event had a strong slate of boosted characters. JG + IM40 didn't exactly breeze through that node (when the ai hit 300+), but I was never really at risk of wiping.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I got my first t10 placement for this event, not counting when I got #2 for the Xpool release as an ultra-scrubby with a couple of 2*s.

I...don't recommend it. My sleep pattern is fully borked now. How people do this every new release event is beyond me. Is the US east coast just a horrible place to be for time slots?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess we need to draw the line somewhere but finishing 11 just by 200 points sucks.

I chose SCL7 though so I wonder if things would have been better or worse in SCL8. My final score was 77279 - top11, slice 3, SCL7

Interesting statistics of my top10:
    All except one are clearly SCL8 players
    These 9 people are all except one 4 rosters. #9 has one champed 5s, and one 435 level 5.
    I was the first one with 3+ champed 5s.

Now, one slice is obviously not enough to get conclusions, but someone might say that 4 rosters dominate and have an easier time in PvE now and that SCL8 rewards need to improve so SCL8 players don't chose to play in SCL7 making things much harder for SCL7 players.