People are excited about Medusa

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
edited December 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
6 clears in PVE didnt get me in the top 100...ya'll are crazy icon_e_biggrin.gif

I am looking forward to that Jean Grey cover though

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    bpcontra wrote:
    6 clears in PVE didnt get me in the top 100...ya'll are crazy icon_e_biggrin.gif

The last sub will be the difference maker
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    bpcontra wrote:

Uh... you and all the other people above you are not playing smart. The first slice won't have even finished the first sub yet. You shouldn't have cleared any node more than 4 times so far. I am guessing you are in a low shield clearance level with other noobs if so many people are screwing up the clears.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

Uh... you and all the other people above you are not playing smart. The first slice won't have even finished the first sub yet. You shouldn't have cleared any node more than 4 times so far. I am guessing you are in a low shield clearance level with other noobs if so many people are screwing up the clears.

Or some people just give up on gaming the stupid system and play how they want. The last event was the first one where I said screw their stupid schedule system, it's my game and I'll play it when I want. I did 6 clears when it was continent for me (which was never near optimal time) and I found myself enjoying playing a lot more even if I didn't place well. Get off your high horse and stop insulting people. If they want to play sub-optimally just take is as less fierce competition for you and be happy.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    broll wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

Or some people just give up on gaming the stupid system and play how they want. The last event was the first one where I said screw their stupid schedule system, it's my game and I'll play it when I want. I did 6 clears when it was continent for me (which was never near optimal time) and I found myself enjoying playing a lot more even if I didn't place well. Get off your high horse and stop insulting people. If they want to play sub-optimally just take is as less fierce competition for you and be happy.

I don't think he was intending to be rude, only pointing out his position may be more related to not playing optimally more than others over playing him.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

Two wrongs make a right broll?

Players aren't "gaming" the system by playing optimally. There is one way to play optimally for placement. That's what notamutant was pointing out. As you pointed out you can play completely leisurely for progression.

It has been deduced that d3 bean counters have a certain percentage of new covers they want to give out vs tempting people to buy token packs. This is the system we have. Yea, you have to be fast and have a block of time to rank high.

I'd rather play this system to potentially grab new 4*s than a non-placement game mode (gauntlet) where the last nodes would have to be so incredibly frustrating such that d3 bean counters would be happy.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    People are excited about every new character. If you're not able or willing to play optimally, you've got no shot at it. I gave up on placement, because I just don't have that kind of time.

Luckily, the new characters are often featured as progression rewards in the next PvE. You won't place there, either, because you won't have that essential until 2-3 subs in, but at least you'll get a cover for next time.

This game very much gives off the vibe of "go big or go home". If you don't have the time and/or cash to compete at the top level, you wait and get the new shinies from standard events and random pulls. In the end, if 100 other people are willing to schedule around optimization and work harder than you, they deserve it more. That's a hard pill to swallow when you've sunk a good chunk of your free time into it. Managing your expectations is difficult, but necessary with this game.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the time of the OP, the first sub in S1 had been finished for over 3 hours.

So he didn't overclear, mutant.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP, which SCL and slice (I assume slice 1)? I ask as I entered SCL 8, slice 1 very late. Entered at 848 or so. Did 6 clears non-optimally, sub finished in t50.

Are that many slumming it in SCL7?
  • klonewarrior
    klonewarrior Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Im sure there are a lot of players slumming about the SCLs...
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

I added the emphasis. That word. It does not mean what you think it means (generally I've heard it only used in the negative.)

I kind of adhere to their schedule if I have the time, but otherwise I say screw it and just clear when I want to. Speaking for myself, I always join SL8S3 the second day and usually don't have trouble getting top 100, which is just fine for a new character release.

YMMV.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    bpcontra wrote:

If you had waited for a new bracket, you could've been top 100 with only one clear and not even all the essentials.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I joined S1 last night, and did one almost clear (skipped the 3* essential, I think?) plus the extras for the CP. I expect this to be good enough for top 400, but I haven't checked yet because I play on Steam and I'm at work.

Non-optimal enough yet?
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Another toon in the fourgotten tier, I'll be enjoying my free time wrapping gifts.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

I don't think he was intending to be rude, only pointing out his position may be more related to not playing optimally more than others over playing him.

Fair enough, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Sorry for the uncalled for blasting.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in s4 which ends in 7.5 hrs. I finished the first 4 clears in 9th and now I'm in 67th. So there's a ton of people who are overclearing.

It makes sense if you can't grind at the normal time to just get what points you can. But that's a lot of people overclearing.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    I'm in s4 which ends in 7.5 hrs. I finished the first 4 clears in 9th and now I'm in 67th. So there's a ton of people who are overclearing.

It makes sense if you can't grind at the normal time to just get what points you can. But that's a lot of people overclearing.

Same, I was in the mid 200's when I started my final grind for sub 1 and I finished Top 5. Thats over 20% of the bracket that has no chance at a Top 10 finish
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Hendross wrote:
    Another toon in the fourgotten tier, I'll be enjoying my free time wrapping gifts.
    You say this but she is a counter for oml and Phoenix.
  • Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Hendross wrote:
    You say this but she is a counter for oml and Phoenix.

she is interesting and looks fun BUT 4*s do not counter 5*s. they just get matched damaged to death. unless the 4 is buffed theres no 4 countering a 5.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    First time I prejoined s1.8, normally I would wait for a flip or two before doing so but I wanted to maximise my alliance points this time. Even if it's only by a few %. Medusas Lair/PvP is my alliance so we are pushing hard for her.

At the end of the sub 1, #1 is in the lead by a good margin (40 points). 3rd is only 2 points behind and 4th is another 2 points behind. In fact top 10 is spread out by less than 100 points. It's very tight, she is popular.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

What's really funny is, this guy is #1 in my bracket (S4 CL8) by over clearing like crazy.