New character release: Medusa!
Tons of Carnage talk
R115
​Featured character: Deadpool!

http://www.puzzlewarriors3.com/pw3-e67.html

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice show guys. I especially enjoyed the Willy Wonka song. As far as Deadpool goes his build really depends on how you can use him. If you are facing a boss or a 5* in PVP you want 5 in black since match damage from a high level boss or a 5* can trigger his black and can really take down a 5*. Best PVP build then is 5,5,3. For PVE it is 5 in Purple with either quake or Xforce. With Quake you also bring along Battery man since deadpools red is so expensive so go 5,3,5 for PVE.
    Against bosses i actually like 3,5,5 since with bosses it is really hard to gather that much red AP and against bosses like Ultron he will usually destroy the CD for what tiles and you will do the extra damage from his black.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    --I also always rate the game a "10" when asked if I'd recommend it to others because it's true. Four out of the five people in my home play the mobile version and the seven year-old plays PVP with us in the Xbox version.
    --I just don't understand people who bad-mouth the game in the D3 forums or other social media. If they don't like the game, they should just go away. I'm not talking about people who have genuine concerns when something is wrong but those who more-or-less go online just to say, "This game stinks and I don't know why anybody plays it." Damn trolls.
    --Crash of the Titans: Carnage was a win. Quake wasn't even close to a win. Drax won't be a win, either.
    --Ian's voiceover about prize levels sounded so professional that I'd think it was inserted later if I didn't know better.
    --I actually made it into the top 50 for Agent Venom's PVP. That's unheard of for me. I wish I could remember who I was using him with.
    --Surprising good teammates for Carnage: Invisible Woman (3/5/5) and Battery Man (x/x/5). Use Iron Man's yellow to charge up blue & green. Envelop eight (or more) enemy tiles with Sue's blue and then blow them up with green. I was one-shotting the Hulk that way. Before trying that, I was using the boosted Daken & X-23 with him so they'd true heal away the damage they take from the tiles he gives the enemy.
    --14 days is quite generous for allowing someone to be away from the alliance. I used to give a week but I've cut it down to five days before I'll delete an absent player from the group.
    --Dang, Medusa sounds amazing. The bad news is that I have a cold right now. The good news is that it means I have nothing better to do then lie around and grind, grind, grind so I can add her to my roster. (Well, grind and listen to The Soon To Be Named Network.) Given my choice, I'd run her at 5/3/5--not that I'll have that choice for a long, long time.
    --No new character for R115? Good.
    --I'm with Craig on the level button both with how it is being changed and how it should be changed. There's no reason to add ISO into a character if it isn't enough to add a level.
    --I don't have enough covers on War Machine to make any determination about how bad he is but it's hard to imagine that he's worse than how Mr. Fantastic currently is.
    --At age 43, I finally saw "Willy Wonka" for the first time. I thought Gene Wilder was the only good part of it. I just don't understand the appeal.
    --Ian shouldn't berate Craig's singing ever again. PW3 has a new Yoko.
    --Deadpool? Nailed it! It'd be nice if RNG would stop giving my purple covers for him. I have him at 3/2/5 and keep drawing more purple covers; there's one dying on my vine now.
    --Congratulations on rank 71, Ray.
    --I also have two red Carnage dying on the vine and two Doctor Octopus covers. The Doc Ock covers are there because the next one I apply gives ANOTHER red Carnage. My Carnage is 5/3/3 but I'm cursed to only draw more red for the creep. I'd be willing to pay Hero Points to change the color of those covers from red to either of the other colors.
    --Thank you for being a guest host and supporting the show, Joe.
    --For once, Craig's clue isn't too difficult. It's a bit mean-spirited but it seems clear that next week's Featured Character of the Week will be Thor (Goddess of Thunder). Mine is currently at 3/3/5, level 168, and still not very good. I know she can be great, though. Not only have I heard it from other players but I've played her in the console version of the game and she's just plain devastating. I look forward to Championing her but have no idea when that'll happen.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Days of The New's "The End" in 3/4 time signature is absolutely brilliant. I recommend it.

Deadpool's great in multiple builds. I like 5/4/4. But when paired with 5* Chars, 3/5/5 is also viable. When he's boosted, his red one-shots almost any standard 4* in the game. So there's merit to putting him back to 5/x/x.

He also pairs well with Star-Lord, who gets instant boost from Deadpool's friendly timer tiles. So running Deadpool 5/4/4 is sufficient. Deadpool's purple makes 5 tiles at that point. When you run Star-Lord at 3/5/5, you get purple reduction.

You let one enemy fire an ability. Star-Lord drops his freebie. Deadpool spends 5 purple. Now, for 6 AP, Star-Lord does almost 10K damage. Recurring. He pairs well with IMHB at 3/5/5 this way, too.

Guys. XFDP's the bees knees. He has legs into 5* territory. When he's paired with Star-Lord, who do you attack first? You have to chisel them, because abilities fired make their low cost abilities retaliate tout-du-suite.

Great show as always. When Craig said, "NUTS", I freaking died. It almost made me want to recruit Squirrel Girl.
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    FalCap isn't the best, but re:the idea that you'll never use him once he's champed, he is a major part of how I'm holding onto this:

iHRRvBim.png
  • Dark Nova
    Dark Nova Posts: 56 Match Maker
    I placed a huge through Amazon and thought I was doing the right thing by clicking through from the PW3 website banner (which needed numerous AdBlock applications to be disabled before I could see it), but now you tell me that it was all for nothing because I went straight to the cart and bought what was already saved in there?!? Nuts!!

Oh well, I'll know better for next time. At least I was a patron for a while....in my head....

Keep up the great work, guys!

(P.S. Really looking forward to hearing the show with aesthetocyst - I don't think there's a single one of his forum posts that I haven't agreed with!)
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    3. Our alliance doesnt track this at all ... But we're usually noncompetitive. I believe the members of our supercasual group like knowing they have a home even when they cant play or need a break. I dont resent anyone freeloading... I reserve the right to do some freeloading of my own!

Neither are we. I like to think of us as a T10000 alliance. icon_e_wink.gif What I've found as an alliance leader is that anybody who leaves for more than five days without saying something isn't coming back. If they do speak up then allowances can be made.
    4.bummer ... Speedy recovery sir!
    Not yet. Bleagh. icon_e_sad.gif
    5. Actually there is a reason to partially level characters. The sell values change between levels, sooooo... Yeah.
    I was a) unaware of that and b) would never do it. The only characters I sell are max Champion 2-stars.
    6. War Machine is a damage machine! But hard to realize that until hes fully built.
    Which means he's just like almost every other 4-star in that he's not very good until well-covered. As I acquire more and more 4-star covers, characters I thought were abysmal at first become incredible machines. I mean, OK, Devil Dinosaur is still a wash-out (even though I have him Champion'd) but then there's characters like Nova who seemed ridiculous to me for a long time but now is one of the characters I use the most.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Enjoyable 'cast as per usual, thanks for the content!

I know i am sometimes critical of the show, but i hope it doesnt come across as mean-spirited. I enjoy the show a lot and offer commentary in the hopes of making it even better! My target tone is polite and appreciative, even if offering criticism. Please let me know if i am missing that tone!

Re: All the vets saying they wouldn't recommend the game, I think there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that position. I enjoy the game the a lot and have a ton of fun playing (I have 15 4* champs, 40 3* champs, a pretty solid 2* farm, and several 5*s on the verge of playability). I would happily tell anyone who asked that I think the mechanics and fundamental design of the game are excellent, though there are problems with the monetization scheme and some other issues. But the main reason I would hesitate to recommend the game to a new player is that it would likely take a new player 6+ months or several hundred dollars to have an MPQ experience anything like mine. Is it fun starting a 3 year old game with 5 tiers of play that are all locked off behind enormous time/money barriers? I honestly have no idea, so I would caution anyone starting the game to expect a very slow pace of progress, and a lot of frustrations. accordingly, I said I was at 4/10.

Re: the featured character review this week. Another one well done by you! Xpool is great! Most vets i know slot him in just behind the very top tier 4*s. He is also quite versatile; you guys mentioned his synergy with xfw and quake (quake/im40/xpool wrecks in pve, especially against muscle or kishu). But he is also great for the 4* to 5* transition. 5* match damage eventually gets big enough to trigger his passive with every match 3. That means that he can add, on average, 3k damage per turn! And like most true healers, he is also a good first 4* champ to have, since he can extend your grinding sessions without incrrasing your need for healthpacks. And finally, he is one character that benefits heavily from champion respec'ing. 5/3/5 and 5/5/3 both have their uses, and even 3/5/5 is sometimes nice. All in all, don't hesitate to champ him as soon as possible.

And most importantly* it's Vhailor-x. As in vhailor the character from planescape: torment, plus the letter "x," the most Xtreme and coolest of all letters for anyone who lived through the 90s (not at all because some other jerk already had Vhailor 15 years ago whem i started using the name). I probably should have gone with VhailorX. . .

*warning: statement may contain some hyperbole.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just want to leave this here:

2a656yb.jpg

Apparently a shoe in for another best actress award icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Natalie Portman is a great actress when she wants to be. Which is about half of the time.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Awesome podcast as always! I enjoy listening to it while I clean the house.. my wife feels I play MPQ too much so she makes me clean icon_lol.gif

Anyways, how do you guys choose who is a Guest on the show? I would love to to be a guest icon_e_wink.gif
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Awesome podcast as always! I enjoy listening to it while I clean the house.. my wife feels I play MPQ too much so she makes me clean icon_lol.gif

Anyways, how do you guys choose who is a Guest on the show? I would love to to be a guest icon_e_wink.gif

I'm pretty sure that you have to become a patron. The $3 per show patronage gets you a one-shot guest spot, but they're sold out. The $5 level gets you a guest spot, and you get to name a segment of the show.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you have to become a patron. The $3 per show patronage gets you a one-shot guest spot, but they're sold out. The $5 level gets you a guest spot, and you get to name a segment of the show.

Ah I did not know this. I'll check is out. Thanks Roach
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    So...xpool. He rates high because he can still be relevant into the 5* tier. I know when I just had an OML, id use xpool pretty often on offense to speed it up. AI running 5*, match damage triggers xpool black, he retals for 3k damage each turn, OML heals, rinse, repeat. Great for health packs, too.
    14 days is an eternity, all they need to do is play one single node per day, thats not too much to ask (I dont think so, anyway). Finally, youre having Aesthetocyst on the show? That's great....but how will he communicate via audio only? What about the graphs?!?!?
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Hmm...was going to post before, but went with graphs instead. In charge of mpq? Hahaha, last I heard he barely runs DR....(kidding!....mostly....)
  • Vhailorx
    "Vhailorx ... one of the more negative posters ..." icon_lol.gif I almost crashed. Like I said, subtle! ZING!!

I honestly have no idea if I should be offended by this! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Moon Roach
    Vhailorx wrote:
    "Vhailorx ... one of the more negative posters ..." icon_lol.gif I almost crashed. Like I said, subtle! ZING!!

You could always say "No, I'm not negative".
  • Vhailorx
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Have you read my posts?! icon_lol.gif

I wouldn't say negative. But it's hard to deny that i am sometimes critical.
  • Moon Roach
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Have you read my posts?! icon_lol.gif

I wouldn't say negative. But it's hard to deny that i am sometimes critical.

Sorry, I guess my droll, dry attempts at humour don't travel well.

I was meaning that you could be negative in saying you're not negative to prove you're not actually negative while at the same time being negative. Or something like that.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    How about a new feature idea? I would even consider sponsoring!
    Call it "Craig tries...."
    and for a story event, he needs to play 1 entire story run (each node once) with an audience selected team. I would love to hear him talk about using 3 other of the 110ish characters in the game.
  • Vhailorx
    Moon Roach wrote:

Sorry, I guess my droll, dry attempts at humour don't travel well.

I was meaning that you could be negative in saying you're not negative to prove you're not actually negative while at the same time being negative. Or something like that.

No, your humor travels just fine! it's my dense skull that's the impediment in this particular case.