Grim Flayer

2»

Comments

• Alatortilla
    Alatortilla Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Any new ideas,?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been playing with Gisa&Geralf now for a good number of games. It's really fun, but it mostly serves to make already-powerful zombie decks almost unbeatable. It's not super powerful on its own (but 8/8 for 14mana is still a really good ratio) but its abilities make for interesting ways to combo it, especially in blue zombie decks. It's not too powerful and it makes for interesting gameplay... Exactly the kind of cards that we should see for sale. But most people are like, "it's not OP, I don't need it" and we will continue to get more Olivias and Ulrichs because that's what people will pay for.
  • Alatortilla
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I've been playing with Gisa&Geralf now for a good number of games. It's really fun, but it mostly serves to make already-powerful zombie decks almost unbeatable. It's not super powerful on its own (but 8/8 for 14mana is still a really good ratio) but its abilities make for interesting ways to combo it, especially in blue zombie decks. It's not too powerful and it makes for interesting gameplay... Exactly the kind of cards that we should see for sale. But most people are like, "it's not OP, I don't need it" and we will continue to get more Olivias and Ulrichs because that's what people will pay for.

I was asking more about Grim Flayer. Geralf and Gisa are easy to use, even if you don't have zombies. Gives lots of targets to reanimate. Grim Flayer just seems like garbage. I want to give them my money, but i can't think of any reason to play Grim Flayer. 2/2 and the need to make contact is too weak
  • Mainloop25
    Oh. I dont know. He seems like Geralf's Masterpiece where it's only for a very specialized deck. I would think it makes Soul Swallower a viable creature, and helps with Ishkanah too. There are a couple of black delirium cards that are cool, To The Slaughter being the best one. I'd say it MIGHT be worth it if you have a black deck that doesn't have great zombie potential yet... Or if they plan on releasing a black/green planeswalker that takes great advantage of delirium but that is a longshot. I hope they don't do what they did with Geralf's Masterpiece where you don't see the potential of the card until it is way too late to purchase(even though I still don't think I'd pay for either).
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Mainloop25 wrote:

I was asking more about Grim Flayer. Geralf and Gisa are easy to use, even if you don't have zombies. Gives lots of targets to reanimate. Grim Flayer just seems like garbage. I want to give them my money, but i can't think of any reason to play Grim Flayer. 2/2 and the need to make contact is too weak

As things are right now, my opinion is Grim Flayer is not worth playing for 11mana. I rather play Liliana Oath or Graf Harvest for the same 11mana.

However, the situation may change if Hiberium ever releases cards that do specific Color Gem destruction. Then all the delirium effect cards may suddenly become hot favourites.

So far, only white delirium cards work well with Nahiri for me. Her 2nd ability has white Gem destruction, and one does match white gems as it is one of her primary Colors.
  • Mainloop25
    There are a couple. Crumble to Dust comes to mind
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I hope they don't do what they did with Geralf's Masterpiece where you don't see the potential of the card until it is way too late to purchase(even though I still don't think I'd pay for either).

I think that's what's going to happen. I'd love a Geralf's Masterpiece now, but the sale is long gone.

What they don't understand is, at their steep prices, people have to make real hard decisions whether to buy it or not. Why not reveal potential uses of the card -while- it is on sale? They might generate more revenue.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Steeme wrote:
    Why not reveal potential uses of the card -while- it is on sale?

Is it really that hard to do it yourself? Read Olivia -- probably gonna be good. Read mirrorwing Dragon -- Pass.

Do you want some help from this idiot? I think I read the cards pretty good so maybe I could give you a hand
  • Mainloop25
    Steeme wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I hope they don't do what they did with Geralf's Masterpiece where you don't see the potential of the card until it is way too late to purchase(even though I still don't think I'd pay for either).

I think that's what's going to happen. I'd love a Geralf's Masterpiece now, but the sale is long gone.

What they don't understand is, at their steep prices, people have to make real hard decisions whether to buy it or not. Why not reveal potential uses of the card -while- it is on sale? They might generate more revenue.

Problem is, the only way to do that is to reveal what their upcoming sets are going to have, which they won't do. You just have to have faith that they knots what they are doing as far as card synergy goes. Gisa&Geralf has way more people buying it because the cards that go well with it have been out for a while.

If there were more black/green delirium cards out already, they might sell more Grim Flayers. If they plan on adding more in the next sets, it will be too late to buy it. So why even sell it now? They would stand to make more money if they planned these releases out better.
  • Mainloop25
    jackvett wrote:
    Steeme wrote:

Is it really that hard to do it yourself? Read Olivia -- probably gonna be good. Read mirrorwing Dragon -- Pass.

Do you want some help from this idiot? I think I read the cards pretty good so maybe I could give you a hand

I think he is referring to "future potential," which is impossible to see just by reading the card. Had everyone known in advance that Blue discard would become a widely used mechanic in EMN, maybe more people would have bought Geralf's masterpiece. Instead you just have to hope that there will be good green or black delirium cards in kaladesh or whatever.

Point is, if they released Geralfs Masterpiece as a purchasable exclusive now, they probably would sell a lot more of them.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Steeme wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:

Problem is, the only way to do that is to reveal what their upcoming sets are going to have, which they won't do. You just have to have faith that they knots what they are doing as far as card synergy goes. Gisa&Geralf has way more people buying it because the cards that go well with it have been out for a while.

If there were more black/green delirium cards out already, they might sell more Grim Flayers. If they plan on adding more in the next sets, it will be too late to buy it. So why even sell it now? They would stand to make more money if they planned these releases out better.

I have a feeling they are marketing Grim Flayer to those who are banking everything on potential. You know, those that fork over the 30 USD on blind faith, then get handsomely rewarded when the new set comes out with multiple combo cards that increase its value. If that keeps happening, more people will fork over the 30 USD on blind faith, since the pattern is that the value of the card appreciates over time.

jackvett wrote:
    Steeme wrote:

Interesting how you toss the word "idiot" around, yet you didn't even "get" the whole point of what you were quoting. Seems to be a recurring pattern.
  • Mainloop25
    Steeme wrote:
    I have a feeling they are marketing Grim Flayer to those who are banking everything on potential. You know, those that fork over the 30 USD on blind faith, then get handsomely rewarded when the new set comes out with multiple combo cards that increase its value. If that keeps happening, more people will fork over the 30 USD on blind faith, since the pattern is that the value of the card appreciates over time.

That would be interesting. I wonder if they do have anything amazing for black or green delirium coming down the pipeline. Or maybe they just overestimated how many people would want to use Soul Swallower icon_lol.gif
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I think they try their best to fit paper attributes to PQ. problem is delirium did not translate well coming here. which make cards like grim flayer look awful. on top of that he only cost 2 mana for a 2/2 on paper. here he cost 11 mana. making it even harder to justify spending 30 dollars.
  • Mainloop25
    Oh wow. At least at 6 mana I could see him being used as a cheap creature to hold over until your stronger beasts come out.

Or maybe t this is foreshadowing triple-color planeswalkers... Hmmm
  • aesith
    aesith Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Know how they could sell more? Not make a card $40 (Canadian).
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    aesith wrote:

How they sell more copies to you is not the same as making more money.
  • Alatortilla
    Guess they don't want my monies. No reason to get this human warrior
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Ohboy wrote:
    aesith wrote:

How they sell more copies to you is not the same as making more money.

Ohboy is right. If they dropped it to $10, they would need a guarantee that 4 people would buy it versus every one person that bought it at the current rate just to maintain the status quo. Obviously whoever bought at $40 would buy it $10 so that means 3 more need to buy. I would love for all prices to drop but I don't see them ever taking that risk unfortunately.