Thor
    Hulkbuster
    Nick Fury
    Falcon
    Wolverine
    Gwen
    Ant Man
    Red Hulk

I know, most of them are the weaker (they should all be ballanced, right? They all cost the same) ones but they are all awesome when powered up. It also depends on what opponents team is made of.
    Anyway i must admit i mostly use 3*s or 5*s because of their unique skills (kamala - heal, IM40 - tons of colors, hood - stealing AP slows enemy, Strange - his passive, OML - regen). However i dont think i have some 4* that would be that good so i would get rid of 3*s and use him instead.

And, you know, the more 4*s you have, the more 4*s the opponents have... which means more 4*s for you = bugger chance you will meet powered up 4*s.

It's definitely a strategy issue, I only have three champed 4s (4Thor, Hulkbuster, and Cyclops) and I can hit 900 whenever I want. I never use more than three shields, one of each, if necessary. 4Thor and IM40 are all you really need. Throw up your best defensive team for event first. Then climb to 450 or so (float point), then when you're ready do a quick push with 4thor and IM40 to 750 or 800 if you're moving quick and shield. Wait an hour to hour and half for retals to come in. Queue two 50-60 point matches and one hop should hit 900 every time. Boost R/Y and one all color to make recharge one yellow match and game over. If you care about placement use another shield to the end of the event, if not let it go to save on hp.

Hope it helps, has never failed for me icon_cool.gif
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's definitely a strategy issue, I only have three champed 4s (4Thor, Hulkbuster, and Cyclops) and I can hit 900 whenever I want.

Nope, no you don't. You can't. Veny says it's impossible. icon_lol.gif
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvP is broken and just plain not fun once you hit 500-700, but you'll never get the pumpers to ever admit it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say this to the OP and every player looking to get ahead in PVP. At each level of your roster there is a cap you will hit before you need to start shield hoping. In the OP's case it is around 800-850 points. Everyone knows where there magic number is where you get beat down if you continue to play. If you really want to get that next tier you have to shield hop. That means spending HP for a shield, spending ISO to find tems worth enough points that you can beat, and then possible ISO on AP boosts to hop faster.

it can be really brutal sometimes. If you are farming 2* and playing PVE you should be able to gain a ton of HP to use on shields. I currently h e over 9K HP right now. I am not VIPand only spent $20 on this game a long time ago. The HP is there and I don't know what else you would really use it on.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I'm one of the weaker PVP players, and I have many gripes about the system. Take this from me: vent your frustration on the forum, then take in all the advice offerred.

Your progress is determined mainly by your team strength. Are people skipping you when they see you in PVP? This is the key to float point where you don't need to shield. This is your niche. Your "natural" place in PVP. If you want to rise higher than this, you will have to start shielding and time your ascend.

Grow your roster. I myself have grown from only able to reach 400 in PVP to a natural 575. I can punch to 800 if I really want the cover, but I need shielding. I can even hit 900 when I'm lucky with my timing. I hit 900 in the last BoP and sniped #1 position because I made my final climb 20 minutes before the end. It was an exhillarating moment and a highly rewarding one (I got the red Thoress cover).

OP, your natural niche is higher than mine. But clearly you are reaching above it.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I'm one of the weaker PVP players, and I have many gripes about the system. Take this from me: vent your frustration on the forum, then take in all the advice offerred.

Your progress is determined mainly by your team strength. Are people skipping you when they see you in PVP? This is the key to float point where you don't need to shield. This is your niche. Your "natural" place in PVP. If you want to rise higher than this, you will have to start shielding and time your ascend.

Grow your roster. I myself have grown from only able to reach 400 in PVP to a natural 575. I can punch to 800 if I really want the cover, but I need shielding. I can even hit 900 when I'm lucky with my timing. I hit 900 in the last BoP and sniped #1 position because I made my final climb 20 minutes before the end. It was an exhillarating moment and a highly rewarding one (I got the red Thoress cover).

OP, your natural niche is higher than mine. But clearly you are reaching above it.

Well said. One thing I've seen is that every season those natural stability points grow roughly one reward point. This summer I was struggling to champ 2*, so pvp was get in get 300 get out. I understood that I was simply too good a target by then and didn't get bothered by it. Now I've got half the 3s champed with a variety of side options, I can get anywhere from 500-750 depending on the featured character. All comes down to understanding timing and matchups.

In PVE progress is more subtle as scaling compensates for roster growth, but in PVP I can really see the differences from season to season and makes it fun seeing that growth.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    There's a huge chokepoint in PvP now between 800 and 900. The risk vs reward just isn't there once you have the 4* cover at 900 points so most of the people who get to 900 shield and call it a day. The only people I'm see over 1100 have multiple 5*'s that are leveled. I've been having a good time running Thor, IM40 and Cho this event but even with 18 hours left I couldn't do a two fight shield hop without losing points.

I'd like to have a reason to still actively play after 900 points but it's just not there. Three whole people managed to queue me in the 4 minutes it took me to hop to 1000 and put my last shield of the event up. I wish more people could have benefited from my hop but I don't want to lose my placement. They need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a system that encourages people to play actively and doesn't punish them for trying to progress.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the worst PVP systems I have ever encountered. I hate it with a passion and, like most people, usually just get to 575 and call it a day.

I tried to go for the Thing red in BOP the other day but it was too **** frustrating.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Everyone has different choke points. I've played this game a fair bit - over 3 years, and I transitioned pretty slowly.

I have all 3*s champed, maybe 10 4* champs and I've been lucky enough to get 14 OML covers - even then my choke point unless I'm lucky picking up qs is 1.0-1.1k, especially if I climb late.

A lot of people play this game. PvP can be brutal as a result.

Good strategy and timings will help considerably. Late climbing without serious (5*) firepower is a bad idea.
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Rod5 wrote:
    TBH, if your strategy includes using Hood then no wonder you get beaten down. Even when boosted he is very, very squishy.

Use your 4*s, just the good ones though.

Exactly. This and being very late. I was able to climp to 900 with champ 4hor, IM40 and champ Thing. This was with 2:45 left in event, though, I just got hit only once directly after I reached the 900, but still got the 4hor cover. Shielded and lots of attacks blow off on my shield. Guess that was pretty close.
    During season I shield earlier, but off season I use one 3h shield only .
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Hood is a great character, just not for defense....
    On the other hand I kinda stopped playing PvP (although I dabble) because of other hobbies and becoming an attack magnet seemingly even faster than most others
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    It's definitely a strategy issue, I only have three champed 4s (4Thor, Hulkbuster, and Cyclops) and I can hit 900 whenever I want.

I am not. Screenshots i provided says its impossible.
    Strategy issue? So tell me, how to play without being constantly defeated? Use 4*? Wont help, they will beat me with 3*s cuz defensive AI is dumb.
    Rod5 wrote:
    TBH, if your strategy includes using Hood then no wonder you get beaten down. Even when boosted he is very, very squishy.

Hood and IM40 are great offensive combo. They can get enough colors so 4* Thor can kill their team. I mostly win before 10th round.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Recipe for hitting 900 with a handful of championed 4* characters:

Start when the event starts, use the seed teams to climb to 200 if you can.

Play frequently and keep in the top 20 in your bracket. You will get hit here and there. This should get you somewhere between 500 and 700 eventually.

With more than 24 hours to go in the event start with 10 health packs and push over 800. As soon as you break 800 you will magically become a target for everyone.

Somewhere between 800 and 900 pop your 3 hour shield. Come back in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Start cycling targets. Skip at least 10 teams. Keep skipping until you see the same 4 or 5 teams over and over. These are now the fresh teams whose points are most likely to be what the game says when you win.

Find a 40+ point team you can beat. Boost and beat that team. Shield for 8 hours.

Come back in 7 hours and 30 minutes. Skip 10+ teams and find a 40+ point team to beat using boosts. Shield for 3 hours.

Repeat until you break 900. Shield until the event is over.

There are easier ways to get to 900 but sometimes none of your 4*'s are boosted and this is the only way to guarantee getting that cover at 900. This probably even works for 3* teams.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:

Strategy issue? So tell me, how to play without being constantly defeated? Use 4*? Wont help, they will beat me with 3*s cuz defensive AI is dumb.
    Rod5 wrote:

Hood and IM40 are great offensive combo. They can get enough colors so 4* Thor can kill their team. I mostly win before 10th round.

You might have to temper your expectations. It sounds like your preferred style of play is late join bracket sniping at the end, and doing one big rush as high as you can go, and not using any HP on shields. That's perfectly fine and a viable style of play, and it sounds like you are doing really well on placement. But, unless you are running double champed and boosted 4*s or 5*s, it's just going to be really hard to hit the high progression marks.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in a horrible place since the death of CC's. I used to be able to get comfortably to 800 without them. Now from 700 onwards I have zero chance of climbing any higher. It doesn't matter if I shield or not all I see are two boosted 4* and featured. The only way I can get to 800 is whaling every match. I gave up trying and now settle for 575 and after the season I tried again in divine champions and hit the wall at 720, so shielded until the end.

I have only two covered 4* and no 5's with more than 2 covers.

To be honest I kind of don't care any more and just play the casual game and save myself a heap of bother/time and HP.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:

Rod5 wrote:

They are a great offensive combo, but they're a giant defensive target. So once you cross that 800 threshold where everyone can see you, no one hesitates to take them down in a couple of min for easy points. If you were using Thoress/IM40/Rhulk you'd have gotten less hits and the matches would've taken longer to beat you. Also Thoress/IM40 teams should be based on getting recharge off immediately and Rhulk takes advantage of the green/purple generated, Hood doesn't use either=a bad fit.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVP can be maddening if you have goals that don't 100% align with your roster and shielding HP allotment. Until recently I would dip in and just try to hit late without shielding at all not at all worrying about progression rewards and trying to get lucky with an empty bracket. I found that I could jump in for the last 20-30 minutes of an event and usually hit top 25 which gave pretty decent rewards for the time investment.

I managed to champ Peggy and things flipped completely. Now I enter some events early and climb in bursts while still jumping in on others late but now shoot for an hour out. I can sometimes hit 900 if the event is right, got the Thing cover in BOP, but usually try to shoot for 725 without using any shields. It's good enough for 1500 ISO, 2 event tokens, 100 HP and depending on how high I place usually another couple of champ level covers and 3-4 elite tokens. Not a bad haul for an hour play time. Yes, that 4* cover sure can absolutely seem like Ahab's whale if you are just focused on that but the little stuff you gather shooting lower is definitely helpful to progressing. Maybe don't quit but just adjust your expectations.
    veny wrote:

10 rounds is pretty quick, but the trade off is that you will get attacked far more often that you would running with Rulk instead of Hood. Sure it might be a bit slower (probably not much slower though) but faced with those two teams I am skipping the second team far more often than the first which will save you some extra points.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:

you win on the 10th round with this team, while 10 teams hit you and kill you on your 7th round (exaggeration but the point stands) that's the reason why you are getting hit so much.

if you are shield hopping, it's not so bad. but you were climbing. and climbing with that team is inviting trouble.

when you reach 800 points you are visible to everyone, including 5* teams. a 5* team will chew through hood AND IM40 for lunch and dinner.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    atomzed wrote:

you win on the 10th round with this team, while 10 teams hit you and kill you on your 7th round (exaggeration but the point stands) that's the reason why you are getting hit so much.

if you are shield hopping, it's not so bad. but you were climbing. and climbing with that team is inviting trouble.

when you reach 800 points you are visible to everyone, including 5* teams. a 5* team will chew through hood AND IM40 for lunch and dinner.
    I was NEVER defeated by 5* characters (except for 5* at default level like OML) and i am rarely defeated by 4*s unless they are powered up. Mostly teams of 3*s kick my **** because, again, dumb AI and lack of powerups for defending team.
    Problem is, with 8 promoted 4*s i cant make useful combo of 2 or 3 powered up 4*s. So instead i am fighting usually with IM40 + Hood. And even when i fought with 4*s, i was defeated. Additionaly, attacking took much more time and took too much health so i had to use heals - with 10 heals its impossible to reach 900 points if your covers need to be healed after each fight. With shield it would be possible, but again - we are talking about free playing... PVE is also 100% doable without spending HPs.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    With shield it would be possible, but again - we are talking about free playing... PVE is also 100% doable without spending HPs.

Stop comparing PvP to pve with regards to needing HP for shields. Apples to oranges comparison.

They are different game modes. PVE is a huge time sink if you want to get competitive placement\progression, PvP doesn't require that. PvP requires shields if you want to get competitive placement\progression, pve doesn't require that.

There are a ton of players who play exclusively PvP because they enjoy that game mode. Less time requirement. Likewise, there are a ton of players who play exclusively pve because the amount of rewards but don't mind the time commitment.

On a side note, a few posts in this thread have explained you can shield and not spend money. I haven't spent any money in a little over 2.5 years. I have 106 slots, 6500 HP, grab a 100 hp daily deal from time to time and use anywhere from 1 to 3 - three\eight hour shields per season PvP event.