How much is that Mythic bundle worth to you?

Options

Comments

• buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    A hearty chuckle to the folks who are tossing around "pleasures of deckbuilding" as a reason to spend twenty to thirty bucks on this nonsense.

Y'all are kidding yourselves. You like being able to pay to win, you can just say it.

Well hang on, now. Let's not forget that there are plenty of OP cards ruining the game which aren't available to buy. Like Deploy the Gatewatch, for example.

What's that you say? You say if you bought Olivia you can beat everyone else in Quick Battle and Events to win more prizes, thus making you more likely than anyone else to be able to randomly open a Deploy? And then when you DO open a Deploy, you can combine it with your Olivia to be even faster at QB and Events and win even more prizes?

My goodness, jackvett. What a cynical person you are.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alright. So if it's scientifically proven that they HAVE to charge $30 each for a certain card, because there's literally no other possible way to make money, then why not charge $30 each for every card?

If a Big Box is 600 crystals, why not charge 600 crystals for a player's choice of a single card?
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    Alright. So if it's scientifically proven that they HAVE to charge $30 each for a certain card, because there's literally no other possible way to make money, then why not charge $30 each for every card?

Artificial scarcity.
  • wolfger
    wolfger Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    All the bundles seem overpriced. And if you want a planeswalker, you can't just buy the planeswalker or the correct number of crystals to get a planeswalker, you have to either buy more crystals than what you need, or buy less and work to earn the rest of them. End result: I just don't buy anything. Lower (at least slightly) prices and the ability to buy exactly what you want would go a long way towards getting me to part with my money, on what I think is an otherwise excellent game.

Also: there needs to be the ability to directly PvP friends. I could suck so many more of my friends into this game if we could square off against each other!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you guys seriously telling me you aren't competitive without buying cards? I refuse to believe you're that bad at this game.

Stop with the hyperbole already.

Your complaining is not going to get the devs to change to a format more favorable to non whale players. We already have an extremely good deal as it is. Some games don't even give you access to exclusives, ever. We wait... 2 months? And not having exclusives isn't even an issue with the bad AI.

All this talk is doing is convincing people to spend less money on the game. The very people who are subsidizing the game you profess to enjoy. You prefer micropayments? That's how you get less free cards and entry fees for exclusive events.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:

Are you looking for an answer that isn't "the game would be impossible to play"?
    If a Big Box is 600 crystals, why not charge 600 crystals for a player's choice of a single card?

Because 600 crystals for a big box doesn't even guarantee you a random mythic.

This is like asking why you can't just buy the prize in a raffle for the price of a ticket.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    EDHdad wrote:

Are you looking for an answer that isn't "the game would be impossible to play"?

This is like asking why you can't just buy the prize in a raffle for the price of a ticket.

I remember the old going rate was 1050 crystals for a big box for a guaranteed random mythic.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    EDHdad wrote:

I remember the old going rate was 1050 crystals for a big box for a guaranteed random mythic.

I think that was a one time novelty release like Eldrazi packs. It wasn't there for long.

The more recent funny one was the mystical creatures pack, with some people whining that they weren't getting packs full of mythics.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Pot. Kettle.
  • Elexsynn3411
    Options
    As far as mythic bundles go, do they typically rotate the Mythic? I haven't been playing long enough to know.

I am really jones'n for the Bandit of Grier Reach (sp) for my Arlinn deck.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    As far as mythic bundles go, do they typically rotate the Mythic? I haven't been playing long enough to know.

Doesn't work that way. And if it did, you'll see people really get pissed off.

The game sets aside some mythic cards in the current set as exclusives that can only be bought with cash. They go on sale for a week, and then it's gone.

When a new set is released, these exclusive cards become ordinary mythics that can be looted from boosters.

Bandit was never an exclusive, so you have to get him from boosters.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options

Look in the card collection and select "show all" and filter for mythics from the newest set, the ones that say they are exclusive are the ones that will be offered for special bundles. I'd love to get Bandit too, but that is from the last set so it's not going to be put on sale (unless they change the way they do things). New bundles come out every Thursday. We only have 2 left to be sold from this set: "Gisa and Geralf" and "Grim Flayer".
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    well, after much deliberation, I coughed up the 46sgd and bought the Gisela pack.

Ironically, the first game I played with her in my Nahiri deck vs a subpar chapter1 heroic Chandra, I lost. icon_e_surprised.gif.

Somewhat embarrassing, isn't it? lol

This loss brought me back to the basics of this game though.

To do well, one still need good card draws, good gem match and board control, and Lady Luck. icon_e_biggrin.gif

having OP cards may help somewhat. but it's never a guaranteed win.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Are you guys seriously telling me you aren't competitive without buying cards? I refuse to believe you're that bad at this game.

Your complaining is not going to get the devs to change to a format more favorable to non whale players. We already have an extremely good deal as it is. Some games don't even give you access to exclusives, ever. We wait... 2 months? And not having exclusives isn't even an issue with the bad AI.

All this talk is doing is convincing people to spend less money on the game. The very people who are subsidizing the game you profess to enjoy. You prefer micropayments? That's how you get less free cards and entry fees for exclusive events.

Awe I'm sorry you big fatty whales with all that money you can't spend wisely aren't having as much fun.

At least yunnnnn turned a bad reputation from his initial brag thread into a hilarious point of view. Dude's winning, you're just a hassle to read.

If the powers that be couldn't figure out a pricing structure better than $30/arrangement of pixels that you yourself are saying does functionally no better than an uncommon/rare, then they're pretty stupid. I don't really want to subsidize that stupidity by supplanting it with my own stupidity and buying a $30 arrangement of pixels that does nothing. Even at the cost of you poor, lovely whales losing your $6,000USD of stupid purchases.

If you want to throw in more Us vs Them language, feel free. Really easy to pick apart your points when you just flame half the forum with every post.
  • Elexsynn3411
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

Doesn't work that way. And if it did, you'll see people really get pissed off.

The game sets aside some mythic cards in the current set as exclusives that can only be bought with cash. They go on sale for a week, and then it's gone.

When a new set is released, these exclusive cards become ordinary mythics that can be looted from boosters.

Bandit was never an exclusive, so you have to get him from boosters.
    Okay, thank you.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I generally don't buy these mythic bundles. An overpowered creature... yawn. I would only pay for a card that has some cool synergy with cards I already have have that would make for a fun and interesting new deck experience. I've wanted a Hangarback Walker for a long time and would probably buy it to put in my Saheeli thopter spy network deck, although $30 is just so steep... I would feel better at $20. I don't have any desire to win more. Winning is already too easy even without buying mythics. You just have to play long enough and eventually you'll get enough solid cards even as a free player that you can pull off well over a 90% win rate. Also, deck synergy is very important. My strongest white deck is allies. Serene Steward is just as strong in that deck as Gisela. Or take Ob Nixilis. Just load him full of whatever creature removal spells you have, a Transgress the Mind for good measure, a Read the Bones, and win. You don't really need Behold the Beyond or Olivia, although that won't hurt. I've never found it that rewarding to make absolutely 100% sure I never lose a match. What do you get? A dupe **** mythic rather than a dupe **** rare? I just rotate in fun decks because playing my strongest deck gets boring. Maybe if I was a serious coalition player I might care more, but I just can't play back to back events without getting burnt out.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Awe I'm sorry you big fatty whales with all that money you can't spend wisely aren't having as much fun.

At least yunnnnn turned a bad reputation from his initial brag thread into a hilarious point of view. Dude's winning, you're just a hassle to read.

If the powers that be couldn't figure out a pricing structure better than $30/arrangement of pixels that you yourself are saying does functionally no better than an uncommon/rare, then they're pretty stupid. I don't really want to subsidize that stupidity by supplanting it with my own stupidity and buying a $30 arrangement of pixels that does nothing. Even at the cost of you poor, lovely whales losing your $6,000USD of stupid purchases.

If you want to throw in more Us vs Them language, feel free. Really easy to pick apart your points when you just flame half the forum with every post.

Which part of "you are not their targeted customer" and "they don't hate money" was tough to understand?

People are clearly buying the cards. Their cards are subsidizing your free play. Raging against the system that gives you something for nothing is the very essence of acting against your own interest.

You will never spend as much as the whales, or even anything. You're never going to convince devs to make less money to give you what you want. All these stupid complaints and insults to whales are just getting them to buy less. Congratulations, stuff gets more expensive, and the free stuff you get will shrink. You want all mythics to be exclusive and never available in packs? This is how you achieve this. Antagonize your patrons. That's just not smart.

I'll be more fun to read if you put more thought before you start spewing. I'm not here to entertain you. I'm perfectly reasonable when you say something reasonable.

I've never spent money on this game either, but I know enough not to bite the hand that feeds me. Most of you guys have forgotten someone actually pays the bills. Do you also insult your bosses in real life?

BTW, did your post get truncated? You mentioned my points were easily picked apart and then did zero picking apart the entire post you quoted.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    did you know that when i make an IAP i am paying their bills, ohboy??

do you have a basic understanding of client/business relationships??
    This is how you achieve this. Antagonize your patrons. That's just not smart.

you just said the business is the patron

when i'm the customer

what is wrong with you

seriously man i don't bother thinking out my replies to you because you just return with this chaff. at least i'm consistent/coherent with my tone. and i hadn't even had my coffee yet!

feel free to angrily PM me since this conversation is derivative and will surely get the thread locked. happy to explain why i am the customer and D3 is the business, and not the other way around, over lunch
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    As somebody who spends money on this game at a $50 a month clip, I thought I'd explain why I do it. The way my job has been recently combined with the idiotic starting times and overall structure of in game events pretty much assures me that I won't be able to win a mythic. That, and the fact it would cost me more than $30 in time to go hard and try to win an event, and I don't even have a good job...

I love MTGPQ for what it is, a single player gem matching game featuring MTG elements. I don't give 2 flips about competing with anybody, playing 14 Eldrazi cards, and I still don't know what the small-feline Slack is...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    I have to agree with OP and most people here, the prices of these bundles are astonishing.
    Despite that, I am guilty of buying A LOT of them, as well as paying for crystals to unlock special Planeswalkers.
    I think so far I've bought Emrakul, Giselaa and Liliana The Last Hope... and at £30 a pop I'm not proud of it.

I don't even want to think about what I've spent in total so far playing a free game when I add up the crystals for Planeswalkers and card packs. If it was like any other normal mobile game where the microtransactions are 99p to £7ish I'd feel much better and probably buy far more often. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder what state the game would be in if everyone always owned the latest mythic on sale...