Retirement Post

2»

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:

I'm here too but can totally see why 4 champed players don't feel it and why this forum full of people chasing 5's don't see 4's as much besides merit badges.

Whales aren't whaling for these 4's, the 4's are a just like means to an end, they are buying command points to draw 5's.

I dont see a whale with all of the 5's right now chasing after this **** venom.

I agree they aren't chasing this new venom... however many whales are "completionists" and collectors. So regardless of what comes out next, they want to have it and max it out. It doesn't help them one bit in the long run, but they must have it. Because once you have every character in the game and max them all out, what is the point in playing any longer?

The collectors, like pokemon, gotta catch em all.

but this does not bother me. As I mentioned earlier, what bothers me is that with this new venom being released, it will become even more difficult for me to cover-up my peggy, red hulk, ice man, etc. It is hard enough to swim upstream, but somehow the current is only getting stronger in the wrong direction.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Interestingly enough I have been contemplating the same myself.

After 630ish days I'm Struggling to find time to commit to the game.

I'm sick of rehashed characters and I'm bored by the repetition in pve (my main arena of play)

I've sunk a fair bit into the game and I used to be excited about even a top 50 finish now I am just playing a node to sit in the lowest of rewards

Not to mention as the leader of an alliance I feel I'm letting them all down

Just wanted to say I understand
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    tizian2015 wrote:
    He did not talk about "completion", he was talking about deluting chances for covers for 4*s for the ones he cares about.

He was talking about both, actually. "not only...but also." My point was, given the game isn't designed to be "completed," the release pace has always been pretty regular and is unlikely to slow down. I mean, pray God it doesn't *speed up,* but it is as it was as it ever shall be, in all likelihood. That was my point.

And, I mean, that's a thing that's literally true for all tiers. When 3* were first available, each new 3* release was not only 13 new covers "needed," but a dilution of the pool. For 5*, the same is true. If and when 6* roll around, the same will be true for THAT, as well. As long as new character releases are a thing, pool dilution isn't far behind.

Also, I was responding in the context of, in his words, "what finally broke my back for good." In no way am I looking to minimize his (or anybody else's) concerns on the character release front. Just pointing out that in a free-to-play game like this, that's not a new complaint, and come the eventual heat death of the universe, it will *still* be a complaint.

I'd also point out that I've long been vocal about needing better 4* cover flow, swimming against the "covers are fine, what we REALLY need is ISO!" current. So I feel him keenly on both the issue of dilution and "welp that's ANOTHER character that'll take me forever to get to a usable state." But I also feel like there's been some pretty significant improvement on that front since 4* became a thing, too.
  • DFiPL
    Crnch73 wrote:
    If 4* were easier to come by (and no matter what anyone says, I still say for someone in my position, it is not easy to get more than 2-3 4* covers per week, given my reluctance to give my entire life and soul to this game) then new releases would be great. I am not trying to achieve a roster that is similar to "whale" status. But I am staring at my 4* characters, only one of which has more than 10 covers, and it is depressing. When or how do they expect to make it easier instead of harder? I am all for "keeping status quo" and not making it simple, but instead it just keeps getting harder. A single 4* from progression in PVE and 25 CP from a PVE is not enough for me to keep up, and I can never reach lofty enough levels in PVP.

My 2 cover Moon Knight, 3 cover Kate Bishop, 1 cover Spider Gwen, 4 cover Hulk Buster, and 2 cover Nova all say that my progression is slowing down even though my roster is getting better. The exponential curve is facing away from me, at least make it linear!

Pretty much all I play is PVE, DDQ, and, when the spirit drives me, up to somewhere between 300 and 575 in PVP. I've *never* felt the remotest urge to push for the 4* cover in PVP events. Where I get my 4* covers these days is PVE progression, Legendary Tokens from the Crashes I can win, LTs from the Command Points I earn, the scheduled daily resupplies, and every once in a great while, a Heroic/Taco token taking pity on me.

But you know what? It isn't all that long ago that the first three of those five avenues weren't even a thing. If I got a 4* cover, it was either a scheduled reward or from a Taco/Heroic, period.

I know it feels like you're forever running on ice, but there have been improvements. More can, and should, be done. Without question. But things have gotten better.
  • DFiPL
    GurlBYE wrote:
    I think it's hilarious that instead of people understanding a players frustrations, the response is "it's always been this way".

I don't think you're comprehending what you're reading, just reading.

The point, and maybe I'm just not very good at expressing it, is that this is not new to the 4* game, and that this complaint has been uttered before for other tiers; past history, and recent changes, suggest that the 4* tier is not going to face this bottleneck forever.
    At no point did he say these things were STRANGE, but that they are enough to have made him quit now.

Technically, one of his complaints WAS about Stra...oh never mind. icon_lol.gif
    It's very clear other players aren't thrilled with the game entirely either but are too invested to do anything but defend their sunken time.
    It's evident when no one explains why the things they are defending are needed or shouldn't change, just that it's the way they've always been.

I think maybe here we have a case of shoe-on-the-other-foot. I never said things shouldn't change, just that given the need to keep whales happy, this is the business model they've chosen; we've seen how that curve operates in the past, and we're starting to see that curve come in to play at the 4* tier now. Several months of #thestruggleisreal during the early days of the next tier past, and once that next tier past rounds into form, it becomes easier to get going on the tier with which one previously struggled.

3* was like that, once. Difficult to get characters decently covered unless you whaled one way or another, and now (especially on mobile with the introduction of Intercepts feeding additional HP for roster spots), you can roster and cover 3* characters with reasonable alacrity.

4* isn't there yet, but as I posted earlier, it's more accessible now than it's ever been.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I find it incredibly sad when a person comes to the forum, gives his reasons for his displeasure of the game that were enough to make him decide to quit... with the honest intention of letting the developers know so they can hopefully improve upon it for others... and people try to minimize his reasons. People try to rationalize his concerns away.

He's read the forums for 3 years, knows how vicious it can be, yet still felt his concerns were enough to voice on the forums. Then you get people telling him his concerns shouldn't be concerns.

I'll never understand some people. Your opinions of his opinions are of no greater value. They are real to him even if they aren't concerns for you. They should have never invented wireless keyboards... then people would have to get off their high horse to type their comments.

Hear hear.

The first two responses made me feel embarrassed to be part of this community.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Grrwaaa,

I know I've only been here for a few days, but it's sad to see you go. Putting aside some of the frustrations the game might bring for you, we ultimately want the game to benefit and add to your life, not take away from or replace it.
    Blahahah wrote:
    Cheers, mate. Nothing wrong with taking a break. Sometimes it might feel like admitting defeat, but when we can put our needs beyond our wants thats a form of strength as well. Never forget, your family isn't there forever. Time passes, kids grow old, people move on with lives. The game won't go away just because you do, it'll hold your spot in case you ever decide to come back, so go out there and be with the people you love.
    Blahahah summed it up pretty well. The next level in the Story will still be here be it a day or a year later, but your children's school play...your niece's piano recital...your anniversary with your significant other, those moments come and go.

Enjoy the time you spend with your family, and treasure it. If after all that, you find yourself with some time left, then maybe come back and say hi. But don't feel pressured to have to stay and play and miss out on those moments with your family.

Thanks for your support all of these years, and we wish you nothing but the best!

Cheers,
    Brigby
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Wow Brigby... just wow!!!

What a terrific post!!!