Retirement Post

Grrwaaa
Grrwaaa Posts: 19
Hi all. I'm not well known here, but I've been a regular reader of the forums since day #1. After about 2000 hours in, I'm retiring. As a parting shot, I'd like to let the developers know what finally broke my back for good.

1) The pacing of new heroes is too fast. Even though HPs haven't been an issue for me recently (since I joined a top 100 alliance) every new hero released is not only 13 more 4+ star covers to acquire, but it further dilutes the pool from which I'm hoping to just draw my 8th - 13th covers of my half-covered 4-stars who I care about.

At 3 hours a day involvement, I can pull about 3 four-stars every five days from CPs, PVE and some of the Crashes. Every month brings 26+ new cover needs and it feels like I'm swimming upstream.

2) They continue to release alternate versions of heroes instead of just fixing the old ones. A new venom? Why not just replace old venom's powers with the new ones? He needs a buff anyways.

Here were some last straws:

3) I use steam. We just lost out on a bunch of free stuff. AGAIN.

4) Dr. Strange STILL isn't in the heroic tokens. Sitting on multiple 10 packs from PvP. STILL. Waiting for the drops to update. How hard would it be to add him? This is indicative to me that the developers aren't prioritizing things properly... which brings me to...

5) Hero buffs. We get about one for every new hero now. There needs to be a moratorium on new releases until they fix the old ones and debug the game (like Elektra just went through her entire featured event bugged - how did that slip through?)

6) 3 hours a day. I realize I miss my family. The time demands aren't just huge, but in order to progress, you need to really optimize when you are playing. I don't want to be thinking about when a slice is turning over when it would be healthier to spend time with my family.

Cheers mates.

Comments

• nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Repeating Image.

OGFelicia.gif
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grrwaaa wrote:
    4) Dr. Strange STILL isn't in the heroic tokens. Sitting on multiple 10 packs from PvP. STILL. Waiting for the drops to update. How hard would it be to add him? This is indicative to me that the developers aren't prioritizing things properly... which brings me to...

New characters are added when the next PVP season starts. It's been that way for ages. Blade will join LTs and Strange will join Heroics when the Time Gem season starts.

Tomorrow.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    elektra wasn't bugged, invisibilty was her powers weren't the only one hitting through it
  • elektra wasn't bugged, invisibilty was her powers weren't the only one hitting through it

Her black power didn't trigger until the end of the opponents move, so an opponent with low health attacking her could continue after firing a power instead of dying first.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Grrwaaa wrote:

6) 3 hours a day. I realize I miss my family. The time demands aren't just huge, but in order to progress, you need to really optimize when you are playing. I don't want to be thinking about when a slice is turning over when it would be healthier to spend time with my family.

Cheers mates.

Awww man, I don't know you but it's sad to see you go.
    There it is again, time involved to complete effectively. Taking a man away from his family.

Come on MPQ, the time to do it is now, 48 Hour sub level in every PVE.
    Reduce the grind further, down from 6 to 5 or 4.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Grrwaaa wrote:
    Hi all. I'm not well known here, but I've been a regular reader of the forums since day #1. After about 2000 hours in, I'm retiring. As a parting shot, I'd like to let the developers know what finally broke my back for good.

1) The pacing of new heroes is too fast. Even though HPs haven't been an issue for me recently (since I joined a top 100 alliance) every new hero released is not only 13 more 4+ star covers to acquire, but it further dilutes the pool from which I'm hoping to just draw my 8th - 13th covers of my half-covered 4-stars who I care about.

At 3 hours a day involvement, I can pull about 3 four-stars every five days from CPs, PVE and some of the Crashes. Every month brings 26+ new cover needs and it feels like I'm swimming upstream.

2) They continue to release alternate versions of heroes instead of just fixing the old ones. A new venom? Why not just replace old venom's powers with the new ones? He needs a buff anyways.

5) Hero buffs. We get about one for every new hero now. There needs to be a moratorium on new releases until they fix the old ones and debug the game (like Elektra just went through her entire featured event bugged - how did that slip through?)

Cheers mates.

Cheers, mate. Nothing wrong with taking a break. Sometimes it might feel like admitting defeat, but when we can put our needs beyond our wants thats a form of strength as well. Never forget, your family isn't there forever. Time passes, kids grow old, people move on with lives. The game won't go away just because you do, it'll hold your spot in case you ever decide to come back, so go out there and be with the people you love.

Remember, we overcome because we love. When you walk away from this, perhaps it's because you learn to love yourself enough to overcome yourself.
    When we overcome, we grow. When we grow, we prosper. Go and enjoy your time. Maybe one day you come back, maybe you don't, but whatever you choose, do it for you.
    Believe in yourself, believe you can make the decision and make it, and believe you can be happy. I'm sure we will all believe in you too.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grrwaaa wrote:

While legit, that's been the name of the game for a long time. The new character releases are, in large part, designed to give the whales something to keep chasing.

This isn't a game that's really designed to be "completed." I mean, even the whaliest whales who have everybody championed, that's true because they flash the cash. That's what drives the developers to release more characters. People who spend on that level are worth cultivating. I guess what I'd say is "needs" are subjective, here?

I don't have every 4*, and I sure don't have every 5*, but I don't feel like my gameplay experience is materially damaged because half the 4* I have are low-coverage. That's part of the journey. It gives me a reason to get excited when I see the 4* cover animation when opening a token.

The number of variants we get baffles me, I admit. On the one hand, it "feels" like two character releases per month is too fast, while on the other, given the number of variants we get, it feels like some of the characters I'd like to see join the game are going to have to wait a while because there are "only" two per month and a non-trivial number of those are variants.

That said? Some of my favorite characters in the game - such as my dear Peggy - are variants. So it's hard to complain TOO loudly (he said even though he wants to see more villains added to the roster with new events to introduce them).

This hurts. It doesn't seem like much, but in playing my secondary account on my phone, it adds up so quickly. I can only imagine where my primary account would be if I could sign up for VIP and get not just what VIP gets already, but also those daily rewards.

This is literally how it's always been! New characters get added to heroic tokens at the start of the next season. That's not different, it just chafes because you (and I) would dearly love to start pulling more covers for our 3* Stranges.

See previous comment about keeping the whales engaged. Bugs happen, and at least they do get addressed, but if they're "fixing" one character for each one they release, it's hard to get bent out of shape about that. Two of the last four they've tackled were characters for whom I had a significant number of covers. So even if I won't have 4* Venom covered to any appreciable degree for several months, they're making a character I've had for a while playable (or replayable, depending on your perspective), which is almost like getting a new character I *can* cover.

It's a trade-off. I'm down with it. YMMV.

No counter here. Family always should come first, and if you feel the game is harming that, then do what's in the best interest of your family.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Finding balance is okay. Even this pve event, if I had played closer to optimal, I would have had an easy top 5 if not higher given my slice.

But I choose to balance the game with my job and my family, each getting the appropriate time. So instead I'm on the bubble for top 10 and I'll have a fun grind in about 7-8 hours to resolve that. I won't lose one minute of sleep if I come in 11th or 12th, I made good long term choices.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Finding balance is okay. Even this pve event, if I had played closer to optimal, I would have had an easy top 5 if not higher given my slice.

But I choose to balance the game with my job and my family, each getting the appropriate time. So instead I'm on the bubble for top 10 and I'll have a fun grind in about 7-8 hours to resolve that. I won't lose one minute of sleep if I come in 11th or 12th, I made good long term choices.

If you play enough to get t20 in pve, you're probably losing very many minutes of sleep.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin wrote:

If you play enough to get t20 in pve, you're probably losing very many minutes of sleep.

Yeah, I honestly don't understand that post.

Different definitions of "balance" I guess.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    qZvXB.jpg

Showing your age with that one, Aes. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    El Satanno wrote:
    qZvXB.jpg

Showing your age with that one, Aes. icon_e_wink.gif
    Wait, aes is a house? How peculiar. Though weirdly unsurprising, in a way.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    DFiPL wrote:
    Grrwaaa wrote:

While legit, that's been the name of the game for a long time. The new character releases are, in large part, designed to give the whales something to keep chasing.

This isn't a game that's really designed to be "completed." I mean, even the whaliest whales who have everybody championed, that's true because they flash the cash. That's what drives the developers to release more characters. People who spend on that level are worth cultivating. I guess what I'd say is "needs" are subjective, here?

I don't have every 4*, and I sure don't have every 5*, but I don't feel like my gameplay experience is materially damaged because half the 4* I have are low-coverage. That's part of the journey. It gives me a reason to get excited when I see the 4* cover animation when opening a token.

He did not talk about "completion", he was talking about deluting chances for covers for 4*s for the ones he cares about.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    DFiPL wrote:
    Grrwaaa wrote:

He did not talked about completion, he talked about deluting chances for certain 4*s he cares about.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find it incredibly sad when a person comes to the forum, gives his reasons for his displeasure of the game that were enough to make him decide to quit... with the honest intention of letting the developers know so they can hopefully improve upon it for others... and people try to minimize his reasons. People try to rationalize his concerns away.

He's read the forums for 3 years, knows how vicious it can be, yet still felt his concerns were enough to voice on the forums. Then you get people telling him his concerns shouldn't be concerns.

I'll never understand some people. Your opinions of his opinions are of no greater value. They are real to him even if they aren't concerns for you. They should have never invented wireless keyboards... then people would have to get off their high horse to type their comments.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I do agree in a strong way that, with all the new releases, they are simply making it harder on people still building their roster. It gives whales something to chase, because their roster is basically complete right now and they are stagnant. But for people who don't have 4* characters even worth using (I have zero champed 4*, but I have at least one cover for every 4* and all but 2 of the 3* champed) the new releases only further dilute the token pool.

If 4* were easier to come by (and no matter what anyone says, I still say for someone in my position, it is not easy to get more than 2-3 4* covers per week, given my reluctance to give my entire life and soul to this game) then new releases would be great. I am not trying to achieve a roster that is similar to "whale" status. But I am staring at my 4* characters, only one of which has more than 10 covers, and it is depressing. When or how do they expect to make it easier instead of harder? I am all for "keeping status quo" and not making it simple, but instead it just keeps getting harder. A single 4* from progression in PVE and 25 CP from a PVE is not enough for me to keep up, and I can never reach lofty enough levels in PVP.

My 2 cover Moon Knight, 3 cover Kate Bishop, 1 cover Spider Gwen, 4 cover Hulk Buster, and 2 cover Nova all say that my progression is slowing down even though my roster is getting better. The exponential curve is facing away from me, at least make it linear!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    He had a legitimate reason to leave: time investment being unhealthy for his lifestyle. No one is disputing that. The other reasons however boil down to lack of information or lack of perspective, so it makes sense people would be willing to offer those to him.

Ultimately time investment is what will make us all quit, though.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's hilarious that instead of people understanding a players frustrations, the response is "it's always been this way".

I don't think you're comprehending what you're reading, just reading.

At no point did he say these things were STRANGE, but that they are enough to have made him quit now.

It's the same.

It's very clear other players aren't thrilled with the game entirely either but are too invested to do anything but defend their sunken time.
    It's evident when no one explains why the things they are defending are needed or shouldn't change, just that it's the way they've always been.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I do agree in a strong way that, with all the new releases, they are simply making it harder on people still building their roster. It gives whales something to chase, because their roster is basically complete right now and they are stagnant. But for people who don't have 4* characters even worth using (I have zero champed 4*, but I have at least one cover for every 4* and all but 2 of the 3* champed) the new releases only further dilute the token pool.

If 4* were easier to come by (and no matter what anyone says, I still say for someone in my position, it is not easy to get more than 2-3 4* covers per week, given my reluctance to give my entire life and soul to this game) then new releases would be great. I am not trying to achieve a roster that is similar to "whale" status. But I am staring at my 4* characters, only one of which has more than 10 covers, and it is depressing. When or how do they expect to make it easier instead of harder? I am all for "keeping status quo" and not making it simple, but instead it just keeps getting harder. A single 4* from progression in PVE and 25 CP from a PVE is not enough for me to keep up, and I can never reach lofty enough levels in PVP.

My 2 cover Moon Knight, 3 cover Kate Bishop, 1 cover Spider Gwen, 4 cover Hulk Buster, and 2 cover Nova all say that my progression is slowing down even though my roster is getting better. The exponential curve is facing away from me, at least make it linear!

I'm here too but can totally see why 4 champed players don't feel it and why this forum full of people chasing 5's don't see 4's as much besides merit badges.

Whales aren't whaling for these 4's, the 4's are a just like means to an end, they are buying command points to draw 5's.

I dont see a whale with all of the 5's right now chasing after this **** venom.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I find it incredibly sad when a person comes to the forum, gives his reasons for his displeasure of the game that were enough to make him decide to quit... with the honest intention of letting the developers know so they can hopefully improve upon it for others... and people try to minimize his reasons. People try to rationalize his concerns away.

He's read the forums for 3 years, knows how vicious it can be, yet still felt his concerns were enough to voice on the forums. Then you get people telling him his concerns shouldn't be concerns.

I'll never understand some people. Your opinions of his opinions are of no greater value. They are real to him even if they aren't concerns for you. They should have never invented wireless keyboards... then people would have to get off their high horse to type their comments.
    Bugs, sure; time commitment, totally get it; Steam being the red headed stepchild, you're in the minority but have a valid gripe. But if you've been around for 3 years and don't know when new characters get added to tokens, and if you still haven't made peace with the rate new characters are released, posting about it in a Retirement Rant is pretty absurd.