A plea on behalf of Spider-Man

Options
13»

Comments

• Stranger Dan
    Stranger Dan Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use 3* Spider-Man every day and I love using him in his current form. Ever since they took away true team healing from me I've been using his protect tiles and temp heals and double rest healing and coming out of matches with a 15 minute wait time until the whole team was fully healed instead of a 5 hour wait time. He's especially helpful for keeping everybody at full health in survival rounds. Cuts way down on health pack usage. Highly recommended.

This game needs good defense oriented utility characters and I feel like there is a big faction of people on these boards who only value the ability to nuke enemy teams down as fast as possible. I constantly run into situations where the most helpful thing is to stun the enemy and NOT kill them too quickly. Like when I want X-Force Wolverine's Recovery countdown to true heal him before ending the match or when I want to build up AP before transitioning to the next survival wave. Taking away one of Spidey's defensive abilities to give him a nuke or keeping them and adding damage to them would ruin his utility in these very common scenarios.

I would much rather have him be tweaked to be better at his current role than changed into a different thing entirely.

If you want a stronger Spider-Man take some of these into consideration.

blueflag.pngAll Tied Up
    - Put out an extra web tile. If Spidey put out 2 web tiles for every time he cast this he'd be able to do the 3 stun on the second casting instead of the third, that's a huge improvement.
    - Place web tiles on all colors instead of just yellow. Imagine you are using Spidey, X-Force Wolvie, and Gamora against a bunch of Maggia Hitmen. If you do Surgical Strike it will destroy all yellow tiles and take every last one of your web tiles with it. If you use Gamora's Bad Reputation she'll clutter up all of the yellow basic tiles with strike tiles and there's no room for web tiles. If Cover Fire goes off one too many times you won't have any basic yellow tiles left to make web tiles. This is a case where you're cursing that web tiles can't be red too. Remove the yellow requirement and let Spidey do his thing anywhere on the board without these hassles.
    - Maybe make blue his strongest instead of weakest match color. Because all of his web tiles are on yellow you don't want to make yellow matches that'll undo your progress. Because All Tied Up is pretty much his main power you want to constantly be gathering blue tiles. If the AI is going for the strongest matches then it is making the wrong ones. This is a weird priority but I did say earlier that I sometimes need to stun enemies and keep them alive at the same time so I don't know.

yellowflag.pngWeb Bandages
    -Make it cheaper. I think a thing people seem to be pointing out is that you don't get a lot of HP for the AP spent. I'd rather have mediocre healing that I can do more often than better healing that I still don't do a whole lot. I'll sometimes forget that I have this ability because of how long it takes to get resources for it. Spidey should be fast and annoying. Cheaper abilities tie into that. Maybe 9 AP instead of 12.
    -Make it eat less web tiles. I never use the powered up version of this ability because I want to keep my web tiles. Spidey needs those for good stuns and strong protect tiles. It would be much better if the powered up only ate one instead of three. I'd use that all the time.
    -Have it heal based on max health percentage or star level. When I first completed Spidey I was impressed by how he was filling up everybody's health bars by like 25% but that was when he was my only 3* and everyone else was 2* and had pitiful health bars. Now he'll heal a buffed up 3*, 4*, or 5* tank and I'll barely notice the effect. 1.9k is trivial to a 40k health bar. 20% of max health would be nice.

purpleflag.pngSpider-Sense
    -Make enemy purple matches create protect tiles too. His spider sense is supposed to help him evade attacks right? 2* Bullseye's passive is one of the most annoying in the game because you can't just take down his defenses by just matching them away. Spider-Man's defenses are weaker in this regard. Spider-Man is supposed to be an annoying opponent it should be just as hard to get rid of those protect tiles as it is with Bullseye.
    -Put out one free protect tile at the beginning of the game. This works great for Cage. I hate fighting Cage.
    -I suppose if you really have to give him an attack this could be a place for it. I've noticed that more and more characters have powers that are both active and passive. Want to give Spidey an attack? Give him a pink active that does sorta ok damage, doesn't have to be anything special, and keep Spider-Sense as a protect tile spewing passive in the same power. Doctor Doom's pink does active and passive so this wouldn't be the first 3* to be able to do both.

Finally, if you do turn 3* Peter Parker into a pumped up version of his 1* form then put out a 3* Ben Reilly or Amadeus Cho as Iron Spider or something and make it do everything my favorite undervalued defense utility character does.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I use 3* Spider-Man every day and I love using him in his current form.

I used to do the same. I love Spidey so much that I was bound and determined to use him. But after a while, and maxing more thee-stars, I quickly figured out that everything he does is better done by others. When I want a healer I look at Spider-Man, and then go 'meh' and take Kamala instead. When I want to go defensive and make some tiles I look at Spider-Man, and then go 'meh' and take Luke Cage instead. When I want to stun I look at Spider-Man, and then I go 'meh' and take Dr. Strange.

3* Spider-Man isn't unusable in PVE, he's just outdated and there are better options. The game has passed him by. The same can be said for a lot of the 3* characters released in that era (I'm looking at Psylocke and Punisher). No, Spider-Man isn't useless, he's just irrelevant.