A plea on behalf of Spider-Man

Options

Comments

• Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Been pleading since 1* Spidey came out that this is the skill set he should have. I would love to see that version at least promoted to a 2* version so we could have the fun of champing him. But yeah the OP is correct. As spider-man goes why so disrespected? An unbelievable glut of spider variations, but not a usable original version at a decent power level, with a sensible skill set? Hmmm.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,930 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NUaZqR8.jpg

Hi, I am fight4thedream and I approve (most of) this message!゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v

(And 1* Spidey is really awesome if you don't have him on your roster. Always good times! Hopefully 3* Spidey can be just as amazing, if not more so! Please!)

[And Miles is Spider-man too! Just not the Spider-man I grew up with. #RealSpideyfansgotnothingbutloveforMiles!#Keepdoingwhataspidercan!]
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    This is not a tip or suggestion. This is a begging plea from your entire playerbase.

Sorry Dormammu but you don't speak for me.

I've never liked Spider-Man really and I've been trying to work out why.

It's taken me years but I've finally worked out what it is,.... it's his mask.
    Yes, we know who's underneath the mask but there's something insincere about a mask wearer.
    You talk about his mask being synonymous with marvel. If you remember that masked face was replaced with Wolverine.

Also as a youth he was RAMMED down my throat and he's not that good.
    Point proven in Spider-man and his amazing friends. Star of the show was firestar and iceman.

Marvel really took off with the Iron man film meaning all the spider films before were failures.

When you say Marvel kids say Wolverine and the Avengers.

Keep up the good work MPQ and continue treating Spider-Man like the middle of the road hero he is.
    #nuffsaid

Btw, when I've fought them in PVP, 4* and 5* versions are no pushovers.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The OP is clearing aging himself, does anyone else remember when you could run around the neighborhood in a ski mask, shooting silly string, and not get shot?

I support this post. Spider lives matter.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sorry Dormammu but you don't speak for me.
    My apologies. Sorry developers - everyone but Jabrony Geoff.
    If you remember that masked face was replaced with Wolverine.
    I don't remember. I understand Wolverine is quite popular, however. icon_e_wink.gif
    Also as a youth he was RAMMED down my throat and he's not that good. Point proven in Spider-man and his amazing friends. Star of the show was firestar and iceman.
    What was I thinking? This should have been a plea for Firestar. She's the one everyone wants. icon_e_confused.gif
    Marvel really took off with the Iron man film meaning all the spider films before were failures.
    The Spider-Man films proved superhero movies were viable by becoming global phenomenons, grossing record amounts of money. I question if Iron Man, and all of Marvel films, would have happened if Raimi's Spider-Man hadn't existed (credit to Blade and the X-films as well).

Look, I get that not everyone is a big Spider-Man fan. But these forums are filled with like-minded people. I read at least one comment a day where someone is asking for a better Spidey, so I know I'm not alone. It's not going to hurt anyone to have a Spider-Man that is amazing (or at the very least spectacular). Tell you what - as soon as it happens I'll help you petition for a playable Firestar to team-up with your Iceman.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This has very little to do with the characters and more to do with the quality of the Studios that produced them. This is like comparing the Joel Schumacher Batman Movies to the Christopher Nolan ones. Were the Schumacher ones not as well received because Batman is a weak character? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm exciting to see what happens with Homecoming. Civil War was the first time I saw the Real Spider-Man instead of a pale imitation since the 90s cartoon.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Tell you what - as soon as it happens I'll help you petition for a playable Firestar to team-up with your Iceman.

Steady on old chap it's just an opinion, what would the world be like if we all had the same one.
    It's in the title Dormammu....Spider-Man and his AMAZING FRIENDS

Meaning he is average while they are amazing.
    In the words of the great man.
    #excelsior
  • Freemage
    Freemage Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Okay, here's what I'd like to see in a 4* Peter Parker Spider-Man (numbers not provided, because I suck at balance):

blueflag.png : Web-slinging: Stuns the target and does damage, as Spidey snags them and whips them into a wall. Adds a web tile. At higher levels, damage is also done to enemy team, stun duration goes up.
    purpleflag.png : Spider-Powers: Passive. Has three effects:
    Wall-Crawling: Reduce the value of Enemy Defense Tiles (% increases w/Rank) .
    Spider-Strength: Every time Spider-man makes a purpleflag.png match, add a Purple Strike Tile (value increases w/Rank).
    Spider-Sense: Every time Spider-man makes a purpleflag.png match, destroy an enemy Trap Tile (does damage; at Rank 5, adds AP).
    yellowflag.png : Scientific Genius: Spider-Man takes some time to cobble together a solution to his current problems. Creates a Yellow Countdown tile that heals damage, and allows him to swap two basic tiles. (More tile types, better healing, countdown reduction with Rank increase.)

That last one is what's missing from most of the Peter Parker Spider-mans, IMNSHO. In the comics, he's routinely shown he's the peer of Reed Richards and Tony Stark--he just is working out of his Aunt's attic on a shoestring/salvage budget. (That's why Civil War Spider-Man is the best movie Spider-Man--Tony clearly knows just how good the callow youth in front of him is when he sees the computer set-up with a bunch of rehabbed junked machines in Peter's bedroom.)
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Spiderman 1 and 2 were amazing. If that's the bar anyone sets for pass/fail, then half of the modern MCU movies are failures too.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with the OP, for the same reasons: This game needs better Peter Parker Spiderman characters.

The 1* version is a good example, just expand on that source and you've got your 3 and 4* ready made. You've Lazy-made your way through Captain America, Thor, and others, no reason you can't cookie cutter old Webhead.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Molina's Doc Ock > any other Spidey movie villain.

He made the character not suck, which is an incredible feat.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I use 3* Spidey every single day for the big Enchilada. He can be a life saving support character in the right setting because of his stun.

Buy yeah, he has no place in PVP icon_e_sad.gif
  • Heartburn
    Options
    i remember using pre-nerf spiderman like 5 bluetile.png 1 yellowtile.png missing my heal stun locking enemy team with just spidey until i ran out of blue and lost match.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll wrote:

This has very little to do with the characters and more to do with the quality of the Studios that produced them. This is like comparing the Joel Schumacher Batman Movies to the Christopher Nolan ones. Were the Schumacher ones not as well received because Batman is a weak character? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm exciting to see what happens with Homecoming. Civil War was the first time I saw the Real Spider-Man instead of a pale imitation since the 90s cartoon.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the f... ????? Seriously ? This is like saying SW was so successful that all other movies in history were a failure (you can replace SW for Titanic and then it is even more offensive).

Spiderman and SpiderMan 2 (Sam Raimi movies) are really good movies that had really good box offices runs! (They made more money than IM, even though they were released some years earlier). Spiderman 3 was a total failure (not in the box office though), but the other two are still great. So I really don't know what are you talking about.

If the Marvel universe exists now a days is because Spiderman (1&2) and Xmen (1&2) movies were successful critically and financially, in a time that Batman/Superman were dead for movies (after the infamous Schumacher movies and before Nolan), and before even Marvel considered doing movies.

If you don't like Spidey is one thing, but please don't misinform.

And yeah, I am not the greatest Spiderman fan, but 3 Spiderman should be stronger. He is just good creating shields in a game were shields are not that great in general.

And pre-nerf Spidey was all about blue, yellow was not really that important. In a time were boosts were +3 instead of +2 you could start with +6 blue and in a couple of turns stun lock completely the other team. No need to heal, because the other team didn't have time to hurt you. It was 100% victory ratio, no real chance of loosing. He really deserved the Nerf, even though the bat nerf hit him too hard (like most of the times).
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    broll wrote:

Spiderman and SpiderMan 2 (Sam Raimi movies)

If the Marvel universe exists now a days is because Spiderman (1&2) and Xmen (1&2)

So maybe I over exaggerated a bit on the failures.
    The Sam Rami Spider-Man 1 and 2 were successful.

What I'm trying to say is this.
    I dont want a return to the 1980's where it was Spider-Man with everything.

Coffee and Spiderman.
    Spider-Man on Toast
    Spider-Man with chips/ fries.
    Spider-Man and cream.
    Rammed down our throats constantly.

During that period I was like, helloooooo Marvel people. Over there we have, Thor, Ironman, Blackbolt, The x-men.

I think there are plenty of usable spideys in the game. Hes good but not that good. That's all I'm saying.
  • broll
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    broll wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the f... ????? Seriously ? This is like saying SW was so successful that all other movies in history were a failure (you can replace SW for Titanic and then it is even more offensive).

Spiderman and SpiderMan 2 (Sam Raimi movies) are really good movies that had really good box offices runs! (They made more money than IM, even though they were released some years earlier). Spiderman 3 was a total failure (not in the box office though), but the other two are still great. So I really don't know what are you talking about.

If the Marvel universe exists now a days is because Spiderman (1&2) and Xmen (1&2) movies were successful critically and financially, in a time that Batman/Superman were dead for movies (after the infamous Schumacher movies and before Nolan), and before even Marvel considered doing movies.

If you don't like Spidey is one thing, but please don't misinform.

Spiderman 1 and 2 were good, but they weren't great. I don't think Spider-Man was well represented in them, he wasn't nearly snarky enough. He seemed watered down and bland. I think this was about 50/50 writing/casting.

I agree it's probably unfair to throw Schumacher in there but I was trying to think of the most extreme example. The quality difference is there but it's no where near on that scale.

Yes Spiderman 1&2 and Xmen 1&2 definitely opened the door for the MCU to come, but that doesn't make them better quality. The first generation iPhone paved the way for all future smartphones, but I doubt many people would want to use one now.
    vinsensual wrote:
    Spiderman 1 and 2 were amazing. If that's the bar anyone sets for pass/fail, then half of the modern MCU movies are failures too.

You and I have a very different option of amazing. The only MCU movie I can think of that I would rate as worse than Spider-Man 1 & 2 would be Iron Man 2.

Really? I liked the movie but Doc Ock certainly wasn't the reason. Half the movie I thought he was working on a Sunny Delight commercial. Also the AI tenticals seemed really really silly to me.
  • Polares
    Options
    broll wrote:
    vinsensual wrote:

You and I have a very different option of amazing. The only MCU movie I can think of that I would rate as worse than Spider-Man 1 & 2 would be Iron Man 2.

Let's see

Thor - worse
    Thor 2 - much worse
    Captain America - worse
    Antman - worse
    Avengers 2 - worse
    Stranger movie - on par
    IM2 - much worse
    IM3 - Offensive. PROBABLY THE WORST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER MADE (as an action/spy movie is ok and can be fun, but those people on the screen are not Tony Stark or IM), and yeah I have seen Elektra and Catwoman. I would spit on RDJ and Shane Black's face for this parody of a super hero movie. One of the best IM story arcs (Extremis storyline) turned into a joke. The best IM super villain turned into a parody. If you are not going to use these properly, just don't use them! There was really no need, just for a stupid movie-twist. Seriously, I would pay to forget this movie ever happened! I don't understand how Marvel let this happen (I guess this is why now they have a tighter control of their directors).

Some of these movies I listed are ok and fun, but definitely worse than Spidey 1&2. The only GREAT movies (like 8+) made by Marvel are IM, Cap2 (best one of all) and Avengers. Guardians might also be there, but sometimes is a bit too raunchy. And Cap3 is very good, but not great.
    broll wrote:

Really? I liked the movie but Doc Ock certainly wasn't the reason. Half the movie I thought he was working on a Sunny Delight commercial. Also the AI tenticals seemed really really silly to me.

Molina Oc was GREAT, he was a much better villain than the ones in any Marvel movie villain (the only exception being Loki, and maybe Stane). Willem Dafoe as Osborn was also great.

I really don't understand what Marvel is doing with his villains. If they ruin Thanos I am going to be seriously offended.
  • broll
    Options
    Agree to disagree, I guess.

One thing I can agree on is Marvel Studios is slacking on the Villains. However I didn't care for either Norman Osborn or Octavious, so I see that on par.

With the exception of Antman, Avengers 2. and Iron Man 3 I agree those are lower end of the MCU barrel, but I don't rank any of those (expect the train wreck that was Iron Man 2) as worse than Spiderman 1 and 2.

Edit: Actually the more I think about I could see ranking Thor 2 slightly worse, that one was pretty mediocre.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always thought an Iron Spider would be nice. Add some IM firepower type skills, but can stun others rather than himself.
  • Polares
    Options
    broll wrote:
    Agree to disagree, I guess.

One thing I can agree on is Marvel Studios is slacking on the Villains. However I didn't care for either Norman Osborn or Octavious, so I see that on par.

With the exception of Antman, Avengers 2. and Iron Man 3 I agree those are lower end of the MCU barrel, but I don't rank any of those (expect the train wreck that was Iron Man 2) as worse than Spiderman 1 and 2.

Edit: Actually the more I think about I could see ranking Thor 2 slightly worse, that one was pretty mediocre.

Malekith is a great Thor villain, and in the movie he was really really flat icon_e_sad.gif

Also the infinity gem cloud thing was also lame. After Cloud Galaktus (FF2) and Cloud Parallax (Green Lantern) I thought movie writters would have learned that this cloudy things are lame, but I was wrong...

Anyway, Spiderman is one of the greatest Marvel characters, so his 3 should at least be good. I think a good comparison was the previous 3 IM incarnation. Now IM is a powerhouse, as I he should have always been.