I say this every stinkin' time, I know

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
but WHY is "A Tree Groots in New York" the hardest (by far) node in sub 1 of Meet R&G?

Like, it's not close. I've wiped three times on it, everything else is x4 cleared (and without having had to use a health pack for any of the others).

ATGiNY? It's not even a CP node, but it punches me in the mouth every time this event rolls around, and takes multiple teams to get that fourth clear.

If there's one node in the game that makes me want to do vile, despicable things to the code monkeys until AP feeders are removed, it's this one.

Comments

• killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    DFiPL wrote:
    but WHY is "A Tree Groots in New York" the hardest (by far) node in sub 1 of Meet R&G?

Like, it's not close. I've wiped three times on it, everything else is x4 cleared (and without having had to use a health pack for any of the others).

ATGiNY? It's not even a CP node, but it punches me in the mouth every time this event rolls around, and takes multiple teams to get that fourth clear.

If there's one node in the game that makes me want to do vile, despicable things to the code monkeys until AP feeders are removed, it's this one.

With the boosting of 4* Cyclops, Thing and Starlord for this event that node has been cake for me this time around, but with those three boosted I think I only used one health pack for the whole 4 clears of every node.
  • DFiPL
    killercool wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

With the boosting of 4* Cyclops, Thing and Starlord for this event that node has been cake for me this time around, but with those three boosted I think I only used one health pack for the whole 4 clears of every node.

Boosted Star-Lord has been a godsend to me in the just-ended Heroic (got a top-10 placement because of him) and most of MR&G so far. But the 4th clear of ATGiNY, no joy. He was part of each of the first three teams, with which I wiped.

The fourth, I brought 3* Deadpool and raised both middle fingers to the screen on gathering 14 purple AP.

That might have to be what I save superwhales for. The first three clears are in line with the rest of that sub, but the last one turns it to 11.

Every time.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I have max levelled 3* Strange at 4/4/5. Boosted, he really makes goon nodes trivial. I 4-cleared every node in sub 1 of MRG using only TWO health packs. A personal record for me.
  • DFiPL
    I have max levelled 3* Strange at 4/4/5. Boosted, he really makes goon nodes trivial. I 4-cleared every node in sub 1 of MRG using only TWO health packs. A personal record for me.

That's a thing I want. I use my 5* Strange on goon nodes because he has the yellow cover, and I leaned heavily on my 1/3/1 3* Strange during Venom Heroic, but I don't have the covers yet to be able to invest any more levels in him. icon_e_sad.gif I can't wait 'til he's in tokens/DDQ.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    This whole Sub has always made me mad. I never even try to complete these nodes and just wait for the next Sub to come up. The rest of the event is a breeze compared to how terribly hard the first Sub is.

With that said, my team of Champed 4*Cyke/Champed Star Lord/whoever destroyed everything with ease. Just had the right boosted/Champed characters for this go around.

Back on track, this Sub is horrible!!
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    DFiPL wrote:

Muscles don't even feed Juggernaut any AP, so that'll really teach them a lesson.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL wrote:

Muscles don't even feed Juggernaut any AP, so that'll really teach them a lesson.

Then I'll have to invent something else for "giving high-level Juggernaut lots of strike tiles for fun and <expletive redacted>."
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nova Starlord and Strange (granted the node still Caps at level 243, but my characters are well under 200 even with two boosted)
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I broke a tooth the other day and it is still less painful than trying to clear this miserable sub.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starlord actually helps a lot. Put his purples on the muscle count down tiles when you can!!
  • Zeln
    Zeln Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    The muscles I am up against will produce strike tiles of 1061.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 430 level Muscles output two 2500 strikes for 3AP, and 6500 AoE for 5 AP. So any node with two of those producing double the AP are crazy. When I have two Muscles I always try to kill the char as fast as I can so at least it doesn't kill me with match damage (It is IMPOSSIBLE to match all countdowns), but being Juggernaut, he has a tone of hitpoints, so it is quite hard.

If Antman was buffed I would bring him, but as it is not, I use Peggy who is the only one than can stop them for a while so I can get some AP and fire PH's red or purple.

Muscles need another nerf, they are still too strong. At 430, their yellow is twice as strong as OML's black, for one third of the AP !!!!
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    OBW, starlord, strange, daredevil, teen Jean, Elektra, she hulk, squirrel girl, and maybe I'm missing some others.

Play smarter.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    I cleared the node using Peggy, Squirrel Girl and IM40. Peggy slows the Muscles long enough so you can make two yellow matches. After recharge goes off, stun Juggernaut and the Muscle with the most countdown tiles and put down Furry Friends. Collect enough blue / yellow to do it again, if necessary.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I have always hated that node so much but this time around I went in with Cyclops, Starlord and Dr Strange.

Vengeance is mine! I have a mental image of a Juggernaut in tears pleading with the Muscle goons to stop firing their powers.
  • I used Thing (2/0/4), Blade (3/5/5) and 3* Dr Strange (1/3/1) for this node (don´t have another usable 4* here). Blade´s strike tiles are so strong - when enough of them are out there, Dr Strange does more than 1200 damage with his yellow although he has only one cover. With his blue I can take out Juggy or a muscle for 2 rounds. And with Blade´s purple I can boost my strike tiles and the fists do 3000+ damage each round. Thing´s green can clean up the board, if there are enemy strike tiles or too many CD tiles.

Still not fun, but really doable, way easier than last time.
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    My node caps out at 304. I used Peggy (209 2/3/5), IM40, and 3* Torch.

Peggy slows down the AI, grab 2 yellow matches and go to work with IM40. Stun Juggs and one of the muscles using Peggy's Blue, then fireball Juggs (1x or 2x consecutively depending on red accumulation prior to Recharge, 3523 dmg + 2 red AP), Torch green (2527 max dmg per turn). You can usually match another yellow or so, possibly set up another Recharge right around when their stun wears off. By this time, Peggy's blue countdowns have resolved and Juggs is down (4704 dmg per blue, 3x).

If you were able to get another recharge, simply repeat.

Or if you're so luck to gather 12 yellow, well.... game over.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did every node in the sub with OML/Strange, using zero health packs. For non-essentials, I brought Fist along. If you can get off OML blackflag.png, it's over very quickly. The healing component of FoF actually makes an impact, too.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP, have you tried Starlord, 3* IM and 4Thor or Iceman? Cheaper blue stuns, even though both of yours are under covered, the stun should give you breathing space, red to punch for victory with another Recharge on the board.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starlord and IM40 together proved too hard for me with Goon nodes... goon sets off a power if it isn't yellow, starlord is dropping a cd on a yellow, I then have to match 6 yellows, then hope for 3 unused yellows to drop IM40's recharge onto... seldom was I able to use it.

I instead used Blade, 4Cyclops, SL. SL made it so 1 yellow match let me drop 4Clops yellow and generate red with TU's leaving the red on the board for Blade to make into Strike tiles.

Gather TU and Blue while each match3 gets deadlier and deadlier to the enemy, then use blue, gather a bunch of red, and blast whoever is left. It was a very effective team... and Blade using Black was convenient too. Depending on how the board looked when I had enough purple, I could choose between overwriting tiles or dropping a couple Attack tiles.