POLL: COLOURLESS COVERS

Azoth658
Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi all,

Thanks to champions, SCL and legendary tokens I'm in the four star transition and I was wondering what others thoughts are about the rng cover system.

I'm personally fine with having an rng system for obtaining characters albeit sometimes frustrating but I feel that wasted covers especially four stars and five stars are inexcusable.

Therefore I thought I'd get a poll going and see if people are like minded.

Now many have asked for colourless covers where you can apply a cover to any power you want, which would be great but personally I'd be happy with just a small tweak so that when you get a character the game automatically only pulls from powers you don't have maxed. This wouldn't create perfect builds or drastically change the way players obtain covers but it would alleviate the sale of characters you've already got 5 covers in but can't champ.

Views welcome. Looking forward to opening the discussion.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Totally on board with the concept.

I think, though, it might be more do-able to, instead of adding a new type of cover, just allow someone who already has 5 covers in the pulled color to "swap" the cover into one of the other two (randomly) or other one (if there are two 5-cover colors) for a small HP cost; say, 10 or 20 HP. Just a hunch, but I think something like that would be easier to code in compared to an entirely new kind of cover. Maybe not, though. Either way, I'm all for it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind if covers remained Colored but once I have 5 of a specific color that I have a cover for that a pop-up appeared asking me what color I want to apply the cover to.

It can be the same exact pop-up we receive now when we have to reduce a color if we already have 13 covers. I'm not a coder but I would imagine they can utilize what's currently in place and make a tweak to it to also apply to 5 covers.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm all for whatever will allow me to use the 6th BiB blue I pulled the other day and the 6th OML black I'll be getting in a few days
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I refuse to participate in a poll that spells "color" with a "U." Next you'll have us ordering characters from A to Zed. U-S-A! U-S-A!!!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who wouldn't like colorless covers? The only reason it hadn't happened yet is that demi/d3 don't want us to have anything that efficient. They make money when we pull duplicates. Don't hold your breath.

And ignore tbt; he is suffereing from election day patriotic dementia! icon_e_smile.gif
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Poll results will be confusing to the bean counters, since two of the options are viable / what we want. The results will be split, thus "unconfirmed data".

I simply voted, "yes".
  • Shinigami
    Shinigami Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I think a simple colour swap feature may be sufficient, possibly with a HP/CP cost to it. Then you would not need to add a colourless option.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I refuse to participate in a poll that spells "color" with a "U." Next you'll have us ordering characters from A to Zed. U-S-A! U-S-A!!!

Noah Webster was a hack.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suggested this somewhere else an idea to let us change colors of covers by Spending ISO for a 3 Star, Hero Points For a 4 Star or Command Points for a five Star
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of it randomly assigning you a cover from what's "available", so you could still end up with a 5/0/0 character, but then you wouldn't have to worry about getting that first color again. Leaves in a little bit of the RNG in for your build as you slowly gain covers for a character, but doesn't leave you screwed by RNG in terms of completing that character.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only problem I see with not giving you colors you already have maxed is championing.

I think colorless for 5 stars is a better option. Or better yet, how about a random 5 star instead of a LT for the VIP sign up bonus.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say...colourless at 4* and up.

If what they're concerned about is that getting covers will be too fast, getting 4* covers and especially 5* is very slow. Whereas getting 1*-3* is pretty fast, so you could feasably get the missing cover you need within 2 weeks.

4* however is much, much harder since it's entirely RNG unless you want to save up 6 classic tokens worth of CP to get that one cover you need.

Sometimes you're lucky and you get your covers arrive evenly so you have some nice 4/4/4 characters ready to go. And then you get moments like me where I *just* got my first black Venom cover so now he's 5/1/5. Still waiting on that last green Ghost Rider as well after selling a red one. I now have three blacks in my inventory and in 4 days I'll have to sell another one.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Answered no, even if this is my biggest problem in the game right now.

I would ratter see a system to switch color of a cover. Like:
    pay 10 commandpoints.png to change a 4 star.png cover to another wanted color.
    pay 1 commandpoints.png to change a 3 star.png cover to another wanted color.
    pay 1 imcoin.png to change a 2 star.png cover to another wanted color.

Remember, increasing one power for a 3 star.png is 20 commandpoints.png . Switching color for 1, I would say awesome and pay right away.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I would say...colourless at 4* and up.

If what they're concerned about is that getting covers will be too fast, getting 4* covers and especially 5* is very slow. Whereas getting 1*-3* is pretty fast, so you could feasably get the missing cover you need within 2 weeks.

4* however is much, much harder since it's entirely RNG unless you want to save up 6 classic tokens worth of CP to get that one cover you need.

Sometimes you're lucky and you get your covers arrive evenly so you have some nice 4/4/4 characters ready to go. And then you get moments like me where I *just* got my first black Venom cover so now he's 5/1/5. Still waiting on that last green Ghost Rider as well after selling a red one. I now have three blacks in my inventory and in 4 days I'll have to sell another one.

I'd say have them colorless for 3*s too. Sure, 3*s are more easily obtained these days, but you still need 113 covers to fully max out a character and over 41 characters that's 4,633 covers. That's got to be daunting to a new player even before getting into the iso needed. Make it easier for them to get into the deep end.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    They could always have an option to skip the cover like you get in pvp

That way it's not changing the randomness of the game and should be fairly easy to implement.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    turbomoose wrote:
    They could always have an option to skip the cover like you get in pvp

That way it's not changing the randomness of the game and should be fairly easy to implement.

I could see a skip function being abused unless it skipped to a different power of the same character. Otherwise people would buy classic tokens and within thirteen have a maxed OML haha
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted no, conceptually I don't like the idea of colorless covers. I do think there needs to be a solution to the RNG problem though. I personally would rather see a system where if you have an usable cover you can pay to convert that cover to a usable cover.

Example:

Your OML is 5/0/0 and you pull another black cover.
    Instead of just the option to sell if you have the option to convert it. You pay either ISO or CP to convert that cover and you are given the choice to transform it to yellow or red.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I like the idea, but I doubt it would ever be done. What could be done, without ever hurting the dev's bottom line, is this:

if you ever get the 6th cover of a color (for 4* or 5* only, non-champed), you can apply that cover and all it does is spit out a LT or 20 CP or whatever. That way, it basically acts like a re-roll. Granted, 4* can be acquired in many ways now (the ever so rare pull from other tokens, SCL, etc.) but this would save us the heartache. I have Peggy at 2/0/5 and 4cyke at 5/2/3... I got two cyke reds and one peggy blue recently. Those two were even in my taco vault (saving me from dishing out all my taco tokens to try for one). I just think there should be a re-roll idea, or at least a partial one. Give me 15 CP back, better than nothing. Now, this wouldn't help me get my needed Peggy yellows, because I would most likely not get another Peggy from the re-roll, but at least the sting of a wasted LT pull is eased.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I like the idea, but I doubt it would ever be done. What could be done, without ever hurting the dev's bottom line, is this:

if you ever get the 6th cover of a color (for 4* or 5* only, non-champed), you can apply that cover and all it does is spit out a LT or 20 CP or whatever. That way, it basically acts like a re-roll. Granted, 4* can be acquired in many ways now (the ever so rare pull from other tokens, SCL, etc.) but this would save us the heartache. I have Peggy at 2/0/5 and 4cyke at 5/2/3... I got two cyke reds and one peggy blue recently. Those two were even in my taco vault (saving me from dishing out all my taco tokens to try for one). I just think there should be a re-roll idea, or at least a partial one. Give me 15 CP back, better than nothing. Now, this wouldn't help me get my needed Peggy yellows, because I would most likely not get another Peggy from the re-roll, but at least the sting of a wasted LT pull is eased.

That would be super exploitable I would think. You could intentionally not champion 4*, especially the bad ones, but possibly all of them, and then you could just keep rerolling more often than not till you got 5*s and skip 4* tier all together.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I think some sort of system like this would be best saved for the 5*'s. 4*'s are getting easier and easier to obtain, but the 5* level still carries so much baggage. One, they are still very hard to obtain. Two, when you start investing in your 5*'s, I hear that things get pretty difficult, at least, scaling wise in PVE. I think a wasted 5* cover is tremendously more frustrating than any other level. I haven't personally experienced that yet, thankfully, but I got a 5/1/1 icon_greengoblin.png that's making it difficult to open classic LT's. I'll be pretty frustrated if I get another icon_greengoblin.pngblackflag.png , as I am still building my 4*s and have no desire to even come close to champing any 5*s.

But that's just my opinion...