Have the Devs forgotten they have a steam version?

13»

Comments

• Long time lurker, first time poster. I want to show my support to all my fellow Steam players as well. I found out about the game January of 2014 and outside of the "True Healing" situation, I've been playing daily. I knew the game had a mobile version, but I didn't have a smartphone at the time and even with the phone and tablet I have now, I couldn't see myself playing a mobile game. That anecdote aside, it's a shame we're treated as afterthought in terms of extra things that the mobile version gets.

I'm glad the OP made this post, I sincerely hope the team doesn't overlook us Steam folks even though our numbers aren't like mobile.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    so, 11k Steamers, how many will join you? It will be interested to see if theres a reaction. at 2k-5k boycotters? Or more is required. I think more people have quit over previous issues but it is a good experiment
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    While I do feel irritated that my progression is comparatively slower on steam, the fact is I don't want to be asked to look at ads. So I view the lack of the feature on steam as a net positive.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    11k userbase, average, 5k of those below 3.25 hours per week (median of 6.5 hrs in two weeks).

So about 5k who play this enough to theoretically spend money, maybe 200 who actually do.

I sympathize with steam users, but I don't think the devs have recurrent nightmares about losing those players.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle wrote:
    11k userbase, average, 5k of those below 3.25 hours per week (median of 6.5 hrs in two weeks).

So about 5k who play this enough to theoretically spend money, maybe 200 who actually do.

I sympathize with steam users, but I don't think the devs have recurrent nightmares about losing those players.

I'm not saying your estimates are off because it's all speculation, although your number of 200 seems pretty low to me, but even if it was just 200, how big do you think the chances are that there are some whales amongst those 200 that would make a noticable dent if they stopped spending?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle wrote:

I'm not saying your estimates are off because it's all speculation, although your number of 200 seems pretty low to me, but even if it was just 200, how big do you think the chances are that there are some whales amongst those 200 that would make a noticable dent if they stopped spending?
    Under 5%.
  • Mechahamster
    Ok. Well thanks for dismissing our valid concerns I guess.
  • Bowgentle
    I'm not dismissing your concerns, just saying that even if devs wanted to do something about Steam, the business case will never check out to spend resources on doing something coding-wise for the Steam playerbase.

About whales: Nobody who spends a significant amount of money - meaning multiple starks per month - will play this without being able to access the game at any time.
    Even though laptops are a thing, it still doesn't beat phones.
    So it's safe to assume that not many whales are playing this on Steam.
  • Mechahamster
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I'm not dismissing your concerns, just saying that even if devs wanted to do something about Steam, the business case will never check out to spend resources on doing something coding-wise for the Steam playerbase.

About whales: Nobody who spends a significant amount of money - meaning multiple starks per month - will play this without being able to access the game at any time.

How is this not dismissive?

'I'm not dismissing your concerns, but basically stop complaining about this'

If you don't care about the issue, don't step into the thread telling everyone to go home because they don't matter.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    by Bowgentle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:05 am

[] just saying that even if devs wanted to do something about Steam, the business case will never check out to spend resources on doing something coding-wise for the Steam playerbase.

This is true, but this can also be completely avoided offering Steam players a ticket to go celular; we receive ISO, HP, CP and covers with relative frequency as compensation, so you just have to create a brand new account and inject covers and resources until you duplicate the old Steam account.

Some people will not want (or wont be able) to make the jump, but then they will have way less reasons to complain.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:

If you don't care about the issue, don't step into the thread telling everyone to go home because they don't matter.

It's not dismissive, it's realistic. People can whine in here all they want, if the ROI doesn't work out they aren't going to put money into it. Remember this game is run by a business not a charity. If adding a feature will ultimately cost more money then it will gain then it won't be implemented. If they did throw money at ventures that didn't make money the company would fold and none of us would have a game...
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:

You could not be more wrong about this. I myself am one of the people you just assume don't exist for some reason. And I know of at least a handful of others that spend in the thousands also. And this is just the people I know.

As far as not having enough paying customers to support coding for steam. I think your wrong about that also but as it is now I feel like I'm just paying for mobile users to get more features and I get nothing. If they do nothing to correct the situation they might as well just get rid of the steam version. Why would I or anyone pay for their own disadvantage?
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    The more comments I see on this forum that assume that everyone is getting in on this and has extra HP/CP/ISO to spend because of it, the angrier I'm getting. You know the developers are just going to ignore us, right? That's what they always do. As I said when this was first announced, I'm done spending money on this, and the longer this keeps going on and the longer I have for my anger to stew while we're completely ignored, the closer I am to quitting completely and making it clear that I'm going to tell everyone else I know not to bother playing this. What's even better is that they let other players tell us that we're not important and they do nothing to stow that kind of talk, meaning that they obviously condone it.
  • Mechahamster
    broll wrote:

It's not dismissive, it's realistic. People can whine in here all they want, if the ROI doesn't work out they aren't going to put money into it. Remember this game is run by a business not a charity. If adding a feature will ultimately cost more money then it will gain then it won't be implemented. If they did throw money at ventures that didn't make money the company would fold and none of us would have a game...

It is dismissive, defeatist and just plain unhelpful, and it's based on assumptions you have no way of verifying.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    broll wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

How "realistic" would you be if for a technical or ad related reason only steam users could access DDQ each day and mobile players could not? Based on your fear of "whining" maybe you would bend over? I am curious about how your realism sounds in that scenario. Please demonstrate what a realistic response to no DDQ every day for you would be.