Have the Devs forgotten they have a steam version?

ThatOneGuyjp189512
ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
seems like we steam players don't get any of the goodies the mobile players get, yes i'm aware it was out on mobile first but it seems we're missing out simply cause we chose to play on the computer(The UI is like a million times better on PC which is why i chose it). What annoys is that this looks like a feature they could actually implement on Steam since it seems to be on their side, FB sharing you'd need the FB API which i guess they don't have access to. I just want some sort of reward sharing system similar to FB, maybe put it through the steam friends list that way steam players would be sharing only with other steam players.

Comments

• DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Steam version was a mistake because they have to split the money from IAP with Valve, so they just try to ignore it and hope people don't play it. Probably.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    You're not missing a ton right now. FB is broken for a lot (if not all) right now.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Steam version was a mistake because they have to split the money from IAP with Valve, so they just try to ignore it and hope people don't play it. Probably.

If this is the case, they can have one or two middle fingers. Their choice. I play mostly on Steam because this game burns way more battery than any other game on my phone.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

But I thought they have to split IAP money with the mobile stores, too. I don't know if the split is the same, but it is there.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can assure you they did not develop their own ad delivery platform. They partnered with a company with an existing product that could be dropped right into the mobile app.

Serious question: do any steam games offer social network integration or in-game advertising?
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    i play on steam because i don't have a mobile device
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    In case you ever wonder why the Steam version might feel like it is less prioritized than the mobile versions:

http://steamcharts.com/app/234330

I don't know how many Android and iOS players there are, but it is safe to assume that there are way, way more eyeballs looking at those ads on mobile than the 500-600 players on Steam.

Plus, as mentioned, much of the technology they're using is developed primarily for mobile.
  • StarScream
    Serious question: do any steam games offer social network integration or in-game advertising?

Bloons Monkey City lets you connect to Fakebook..
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the only thing we've really gained on Steam is when the DLC has gone on offer. And even then, only the most expensive one is worth buying on offer. And you can only buy it once.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    (The UI is like a million times better on PC which is why i chose it).

It sounds to me as you are getting a benefit that we mobile players cannot possible get and as such, you made a compromise.
    What annoys is that this looks like a feature they could actually implement on Steam since it seems to be on their side, FB sharing you'd need the FB API which i guess they don't have access to.

As far as I know, there's no way for a game in Steam to show ads. Seems like a technical hurdle to me as well.
  • StarScream
    Pylgrim wrote:
    (The UI is like a million times better on PC which is why i chose it).

It sounds to me as you are getting a benefit that we mobile players cannot possible get and as such, you made a compromise.
    What annoys is that this looks like a feature they could actually implement on Steam since it seems to be on their side, FB sharing you'd need the FB API which i guess they don't have access to.

As far as I know, there's no way for a game in Steam to show ads. Seems like a technical hurdle to me as well.

Ninjakiwi has ads in their games.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    i know there are games which definitely have in game ads(DOTA 2 comes to mind) so i don't see why they can't offer the SHIELD intercept thing for us.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    It must be at least a little gratifying for any devs who dare to wade into this forum to see the response to the Shield Interrupts. I mean, people actually arguing for the ability to be advertised to? Perfect execution.

That being said, as someone who started on mobile, I'd love to be able to play on what appears to be a gorgeous Steam interface. Alas...
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Aweberman wrote:
    That being said, as someone who started on mobile, I'd love to be able to play on what appears to be a gorgeous Steam interface. Alas...
    The grass is always greener on the other side. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:

Yes, 3 years ago I stumbled across this game on steam. I for some reason took the time to research whether it had a mobile version as well, and also looked at my crystal ball to divine the future of the game on various platforms. Then and only then did I select which platform to play on.

I trust mobile players did the same, and chose future functionality over superior interface.

Dolt.

3 years ago you decided that you would like to do 3 hour refresh PVE on a PC? I would have researched a mobile option within 5 minutes. Lol
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I am a Steam player too.

Whatever the platforms, all players in this game compete against each other for the same leaderboards. Iso and HP resources are scarce and thus if some players have an easier access than other to those resources, this creates a competitive bias.

This morning I played a single fight with my secondary account on mobile. I got a "signal intercept" then 100HP. With my main account I will need to do a full grind in a pve sub to rank a t50 and earn the same reward.

To be honest, I doubt Demiurge will do anything for us Steam players. But I wanted to join the OP: "Demiurge, don't forget your Steam players!" icon_e_biggrin.gif

Maybe we should have a Steam Players Union? icon_e_wink.gif
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Dear D3: having people compete for the same stuff, then give one section of those players non negligible bonuses while ignoring another section, is kind of a **** move.

Throw Steam players a bone, or allow cross platform playing. Me and the missus will not be spending anymore until you do.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP was correct in their post. Steam loses out on FB gifts and such because the Steam API doesn't allow it. Your only recourse is to ask CS if they'll transfer your steam game to a mobile device. It CAN be done, but they may or may not do it.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    If there are so few Steam players, the simple fix would be to allow them the option of cross-platform play.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    BassMuffinFIve Posts: 231
    edited November 2016
    Pylgrim wrote:

Yes, 3 years ago I stumbled across this game on steam. I for some reason took the time to research whether it had a mobile version as well, and also looked at my crystal ball to divine the future of the game on various platforms. Then and only then did I select which platform to play on.

I trust mobile players did the same, and chose future functionality over superior interface.

Dolt.

Had I done this research I facetiously describe, I would have discovered that at the time accounts could be linked across platforms, and thus there was at the time no downside to choosing either way. Luckily, the crystal ball flashing angry red over in the corner would have warned me off ...

Can't you easily cheat/sandbox the Steam game as well? That seems like another reason to play mobile.