No more money for you, devs

2»

Comments

• Gargamel86
    Gargamel86 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    My strategy for PvP that I usually use is the following: I get to 300-400 points during the first day and this score usually holds without any hits no matter the team I use.

Then I start the fights actively 6-8 hours before the end. I always get to 800 pts (even if I use a 3* team for the event), and after I champed around 10 of my 4* chars I almost always get to 900 pts as well.

I start to get hit after I get past 800 pts, and once the hits start I try to push through with one or two fights. Good thing I noticed is in this period I may get hit once or twice during a fight, so I don't lose much points, so they come more like warning hits. If after those fights the hits keep coming, I shield with 8 hour shield. This way I don't lose much points and I stay in the vicinity of 800 points.

If I aim for the 4* cover (and is attainable) I line up the fights with most points, I set power-ups in all three slots, I break shield 15 mins before the end, dive in and pray for lucky boards and fast fights - it works sometimes.

I usually play in Slice 3 and sometimes in Slice 1, and with 800+ points I also usually rank top 10-25, so that's a plus.

I hope this will help.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I climbed with a championed Cho and all of the champed Red Hulks were wrecking me. I did get to 900 and got the Flaptain cover though because I got there with over 14 hours left. After 800 points was hard, I went from 850 to 770 after one fight. I managed to climb back to 850 and shield and then 3 hours later I came back and two wins put me at 925. Event over.

Versus mode is terrible. It is a soul destroying experience that makes me want to smash my phone. However I can get to 900 in most events even though I only have six 4*'s champed. I have to climb early and know when to shield.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:
    I can't sympathize when you're unshielded in the last 30 minutes. The last couple hours of any event are a total bloodbath, because all the late climbers come out to feast and get away with a single 3h shield. If you are unshielded during that time, you will get hit repeatedly, regardless of your team.

At first glance, this seems like two opposing thoughts. Its a "bloodbath" and yet "late climbers come out to feast". What are the late climbers doing that makes them different to everyone else in the last 3 hours? I understand that more points are available later in the event, so are they shielding frequently or hitting the targets they had queued earlier or something else?

If the late climbers are not shielding frequently, I would be interested to know how they are not being attacked as much as everyone else is. I'm sure there is a logical explanation. I stopped playing the last 3 hours of pvp once I realized how futile it is, but maybe I can start aiming a bit higher ( I usually end a little over 900 points) if I could more effectively use the last 3 hours.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    cardoor wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    I can't sympathize when you're unshielded in the last 30 minutes. The last couple hours of any event are a total bloodbath, because all the late climbers come out to feast and get away with a single 3h shield. If you are unshielded during that time, you will get hit repeatedly, regardless of your team.

At first glance, this seems like two opposing thoughts. Its a "bloodbath" and yet "late climbers come out to feast". What are the late climbers doing that makes them different to everyone else in the last 3 hours? I understand that more points are available later in the event, so are they shielding frequently or hitting the targets they had queued earlier or something else?

If the late climbers are not shielding frequently, I would be interested to know how they are not being attacked as much as everyone else is. I'm sure there is a logical explanation. I stopped playing the last 3 hours of pvp once I realized how futile it is, but maybe I can start aiming a bit higher ( I usually end a little over 900 points) if I could more effectively use the last 3 hours.

Most of them are shield-hoppers with super fast teams and/or high level 4* or 5*s. For example, buffed championed Rhulk + im40 boosting 3 yellow, 2 green and 1 purple only need one yellow and one purple match to deal 18k+ AoE damage in turn 4. A couple or three of those games, then shield, and they've gained 100+ points before teams trying to down Rhulk's 38k HP can finish their first battle.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Some of those late climbers are just regular folks climbing to 300 or 500 or so as well. They don't have to be fast or 5*'s, they just have to see that you are worth 75 points and they are happy.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, so the late climbers at 800 points are getting hit by late climbers at 300 points. When they get to 800 points, they become the new juicy target
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    cardoor wrote:
    At first glance, this seems like two opposing thoughts. Its a "bloodbath" and yet "late climbers come out to feast". What are the late climbers doing that makes them different to everyone else in the last 3 hours?
    They know what they're doing and/or are running dual champed 5s.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Veny,

What PvP slice are you usually in? Is your in game name the same? I umm want to check your teams out. icon_twisted.gif

....hope my mmr will let me q ya.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I had a garbage Grey Suit PVP too, climbed to 825 & shielded, but my queues were, as ever, the same 4 people over and over and over and over and over (I used a LOT of ISO, I REALLY wanted the red Falcap). Each of them had a 360+ Red Hulk plus another 4/5 star over 360 (either OML or Cho). Well, I tried, and I beat one of them after coming out of shield, but by the end of that battle, I'd lost 100 points. I did another battle, against a Charlie's Angels, also won, but by the end had lost another 100. Oh well, no Falcap for me. I don't have a good Red Hulk, was running champed Miles Morales + my 360 SS. Winning was pretty easy, but so was AI losing, apparently. I got hit at least 3 times by someone running a champed OML + SS, which I guess is an honor? Pretty lame that my queue is just 4 people long, but I'm in everyone's queue.

also lame that I'm still playing a match-3 after 3 years, but that's all on me.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Next time that happens you can try two things. 1) come back to the game in an hour, and 2) reset your game. Both methods should inject fresh opponents into your queue. The other thing to be aware is if you can only queue those four people and they all run rulk/5* then you coming out with miles/ss makes you the juicy target
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Wow 700 for pvp and you didnt get kicked out of alliance?
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Those are good ideas. And yeah, I know that I was a juicy target, but I had shielded and only needed two wins to hit 900. I needed to be unshielded for 10 minutes tops. I don't like that I lost 200+ points after coming out of a shield during those two battles (that I won). But I know, that's the PVP system in this dumb game, that I will continue to play anyway, because lol @ me.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plenty of good advices in the thread, but everything can be summarized as:

"If you want progression rewards NEVER play after the 3 hour mark"

There is A LOT of people that plays just when they know they can use the cheapest shield possible after they get to whatever score they can get before they run out of health packs. This is 3 hour mark signals basically the return to the Old Far American West, with no laws, everybody shooting at everybody. You won't get anything progression related at that stage, almost everybody with good scores is already shielded and the only people playing is people climbing.

PS: And yeah, I agree, PvP has a lot of problems, but it is not as easy to fix as your poll suggests.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman wrote:
    Those are good ideas. And yeah, I know that I was a juicy target, but I had shielded and only needed two wins to hit 900. I needed to be unshielded for 10 minutes tops. I don't like that I lost 200+ points after coming out of a shield during those two battles (that I won). But I know, that's the PVP system in this dumb game, that I will continue to play anyway, because lol @ me.
    Ten minutes with a team without a champed Rulk and/or a high level 5 is an eternity.
    With your team you need to stick to single-match hops, preferably against someone _not_ running Rulk (they were out there. I think.).

In this brave new age of no cupcakes I get nervous whenever I do more than 2 matches on a hop, being out for more than 8,9 minutes is just asking for trouble.
    And I run dual 5s.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Jexman wrote:
    Ten minutes with a team without a champed Rulk and/or a high level 5 is an eternity.
    With your team you need to stick to single-match hops, preferably against someone _not_ running Rulk (they were out there. I think.).

In this brave new age of no cupcakes I get nervous whenever I do more than 2 matches on a hop, being out for more than 8,9 minutes is just asking for trouble.
    And I run dual 5s.

Even with dual champed 5s I have been attacked even during my first fight in a hop. In the end, it is just luck the only thing that shields you when shield hoping. People climbing doesn't care if you are doing a hop and if they are using boosts they can finish the fight faster than you do (they may get a lucky cascade or whatever). So there is really nothing that can help you. This is why sometimes ago I said that AT LEAST the first fight after you hop out from a shield you should not lose points. Just this simple rule would help A LOT (without breaking the system, as the shields you can use are limited).
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    cardoor wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

It's just more active. The end time is fixed for everyone, and so that is when everyone is sure to be playing. The final 24h, 8h, and 3h marks are usually pretty hot as well because those are times where people can play and drop a shield until the end of the event.

Often you will see people climb early and hit max progression, then float until the end of the event. They climb late at the end to try to maximize their score without spending anything on shields - I'm often guilty of this myself.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    25 hours left, i am 4th with 585 point. Cant get higher, enemies are too tough and give only a few points. I wonder how many times they defeat me until another playing.
    No, wont spend HP for shield, no HP to waste... PvE is also doable without spending single HP.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    So, i tried to play sooner as you said. Result? https://i.imgsafe.org/205ac2e9bb.png
    Started yesterday with 24hrs left, got to 500 pts (top 5 btw.) - then i rotated 3 opponents again and again - no chance to find someone else (spent 500+ ISO to swap).
    Thanks for advices but it was for nothing. I encountered stronger enemies, with less points as reward. And again, they started to defeat me again and again after reaching 700-800pts tier. So as you can see, time remaining is not the main issue, points are. 2 defeats per one game -> no way how to progress.