Daylight Savings screwing end times.

2»

Comments

• Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I was in Thanos' bracket. Ended up sneaking into 1st. Shouldn't have, would have been top 5 without the glitch. The entire top 10 seriously got flipped upside down, first with the extra hour on the second sub, and then the missing hour on the 3rd sub.(Started at midnight, ended at 11pm).
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I usually allow for a couple of hours to do my final grind. It never even occurred to me that the slice end time wouldn't honor the time change, so I wound up with an hour less than usual, which kept me out of T50.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    If it was a normal event without a new character release, this would make it easier for players to accept. But it occured on a new event and new character release. Much tougher pill to swallow. They should have expected some problems with new event but they had to add in the daylight savings thing into it.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Moon Roach wrote:
    broll wrote:
    It was posted in the end times when you picked your slice. I normally pick the ends at 5pm slice. It showed as ending at 4pm. If people don't pay attention it isn't the games fault.

Except that if you picked Slice 5, it ended at 2AM Eastern last night, and 2AM Eastern happened twice.

That's true, but not the whole story. 2 am did occur twice for The One True Time Zone, but the first was Eastern Standard Time, the second was Eastern Daylight Time. They should make it clear which 2 am they meant.

I'm in The One Time Zone To Rule Them All, slice 5 was due to end at 7 pm. So I did my clears, sub 2 ended on time. I opened up the third way, then everything went to cack. Sub 2 was still open and had an extra hour to go.

So, I deduce that the servers are running on local time, event's end times were passed and new subs opened, DST kicked in and suddenly the WHERE NOW() BETWEEN EventSubStartDate AND EventSubEndDate query returned different results.

I know that criticising the developers risks a warning or ban, so I'll just say this. If the company I worked for used any time other than UTC for effective dates of things like tax rates or recording when transactions took place, our clients would rightly be very unhappy and any criticism levelled at us would be justified.

True. I manage multiple software development teams, and spent several hours last week ensuring that the time change would not adversely us. Right now I'm dealing with one of our SaaS vendors who is not nearly so careful, and is now at risk of losing a 6 figure contract due to their sloppy work. There is no excuse for developers to miss the impact of DST.